Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

liz posted:

So I have an interview with the District Court on Tuesday for an Operations Clerk position, and unfortunately I'm going to have to call off work... Our branch (bank) is already understaffed and between prepping for this interview and worrying about calling out "sick" I'm a nervous wreck!

Any tips for interviewing in a completely new industry? (I have no court experience, but the vacancy announcement stated that banking could be substituted and used as specialized experience). I did make sure a lot of the keywords were on my cover/resume/application so I must have done something right to get the interview! I was told the interview will be about two hours and that just makes my stomach turn... I've never had one last that long! Any idea what to expect for those two hours?

I would assume that you won't be interviewed by the same person for two hours. Most likely you'll sit down with HR first and have a general chat about your experience with STAR-type questions, then for the next part you'll sit with the person/people who will be your direct supervisor. They'll probably get more in-depth with regard to your experience and make sure you're a good fit for the department. There will probably be some overlap with questions, and depending on the position they may have you sit for a test of some kind to make sure you have the necessary skills for the role. Prep well, but don't panic. Take some confidence from the fact that you have the interview, and you wouldn't have gotten this far if they felt you weren't qualified.

One piece of advice I would give is to bring a bottle of water, or at least don't refuse one if it's offered to you. It's really hard to talk at length for more than a half hour in a high-pressure situation without your mouth getting dry, or that's the case for me, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is it better to call when it's about a full week after when a potential employer told you they'd be contacting you and you know for a fact they've talked to your references, or is better to accept that university hirings move at a glacial pace and just sit on your hands?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I would think a polite follow up is in order after a week.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Bluedeanie posted:

Is it better to call when it's about a full week after when a potential employer told you they'd be contacting you and you know for a fact they've talked to your references, or is better to accept that university hirings move at a glacial pace and just sit on your hands?

Yes to both.

If they said "hey we'll contact you on Wednesday the 15th" and it's Wednesday the 22nd then I don't think there's harm in going "hey guys, just wanted to check in and see if there's any more information I can provide you with at this point."

But university hirings move really, really slowly and it's probably near finals week at your school so good luck :shrug:

(I've also heard of universities checking references for candidates they didn't offer jobs to, so there's a chance that this is what's going on. That happened to me once, too :smith:)

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Epilogue to my interview:

I was flown 5000 miles for an onsite interview (4th round, 3hrs long), plus per diem and a nice hotel for the weekend, but they decided to not extend me the offer. The letdown email was quite lovely, but it's a bit sad because I was pretty sold on them.

I'm not sure how to handle the "didn't find a strong fit" rejection. It's so nebulous that I don't know if it's because I interview like I'm a terrible person, or it's just because I missed specific questions they were looking for. The line, more specifically was "Although we didn't find a strong fit right now, we would love to keep in touch". Is that the business equivalent of "let's be friends?"

quote:

Hi Ryan,
Thank you so much for taking the time to come in and meet the team.

We've had a chance to sync, and unfortunately, we will not be extending you an offer at this time. I wanted you to know that this was a very tough decision for us, as you've clearly done some impressive work, and people enjoyed getting to know you. Although we didn't find a strong fit right now, we would love to keep in touch. {company} is growing and changing quickly, and there may be additional opportunities in the future.

I wish you the best of luck with everything. You're clearly talented, and I have no doubt you'll continue to do great things.
All the best,
{internal recruiter}

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

ryanbruce posted:

Epilogue to my interview:

I was flown 5000 miles for an onsite interview (4th round, 3hrs long), plus per diem and a nice hotel for the weekend, but they decided to not extend me the offer. The letdown email was quite lovely, but it's a bit sad because I was pretty sold on them.

I'm not sure how to handle the "didn't find a strong fit" rejection. It's so nebulous that I don't know if it's because I interview like I'm a terrible person, or it's just because I missed specific questions they were looking for. The line, more specifically was "Although we didn't find a strong fit right now, we would love to keep in touch". Is that the business equivalent of "let's be friends?"

Stay in touch with them. You made an impression, and dropping a line in six months with what you're up to and saying you're interested or asking about opportunities is how you network yourself into a job.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

I would think a polite follow up is in order after a week.

FadingChord posted:

Yes to both.

If they said "hey we'll contact you on Wednesday the 15th" and it's Wednesday the 22nd then I don't think there's harm in going "hey guys, just wanted to check in and see if there's any more information I can provide you with at this point."

But university hirings move really, really slowly and it's probably near finals week at your school so good luck :shrug:

(I've also heard of universities checking references for candidates they didn't offer jobs to, so there's a chance that this is what's going on. That happened to me once, too :smith:)

Thanks! I hadn't even thought about finals week, but it is a non-academic position so I am not sure that would have a big affect on this particular department. I could obviously be wrong though, especially if it has to go through administration who are more involved with that aspect of the school. Either way, I will give them a call shortly just to touch base.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
I've got a question for the gurus here:

I graduated at the beginning of april with my M.Sc. (molecular biology related) and I immediately was offered and accepted a casual contract position in sales (more like promotions really) which I've worked at for about a month now. But it's pretty drat casual - like 10 hours a week so definitely not enough to live off of. I want to start applying to other jobs and ideally I could do both given the 10 hours a week thing, but in practice I can quit my current position at any time and I wouldn't be too sad about leaving (I don't particularly enjoy the work and want to get into something more writing focused).

How should I write my resume to start applying for jobs? Should I try and focus on the idea of being able to do both positions simultaneously and potentially seem like a hassle? Or should I leave it off and just look like every other recent grad?

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Business Octopus posted:

I graduated at the beginning of april with my M.Sc. (molecular biology related) and I immediately was offered and accepted a casual contract position in sales (more like promotions really) which I've worked at for about a month now. But it's pretty drat casual - like 10 hours a week so definitely not enough to live off of. I want to start applying to other jobs and ideally I could do both given the 10 hours a week thing, but in practice I can quit my current position at any time and I wouldn't be too sad about leaving (I don't particularly enjoy the work and want to get into something more writing focused).

How should I write my resume to start applying for jobs? Should I try and focus on the idea of being able to do both positions simultaneously and potentially seem like a hassle? Or should I leave it off and just look like every other recent grad?

I'm far from a guru, but here's my opinion as a man on the street:

Why do you need to mention that you'll be keeping your current job? I doubt your prospective employer would assume you're going to keep it, so why put the thought into their heads before they even consider you? It'll probably come up in the interview as something like "Why do you want to leave Company XYZ?" And you can tell them the truth, that your current position is very flexible and is only a part time role that you can easily add to the position you're applying for, or drop as needed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Anyone know what I should expect from an assessment center? It involves individual and team components but apart from that I don't know anything about it. It's for a graduate program within the agribusiness division of a bank.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone know what I should expect from an assessment center? It involves individual and team components but apart from that I don't know anything about it. It's for a graduate program within the agribusiness division of a bank.

For the group part you'll probably be given a problem or scenario to run through together before giving a quick presentation. You MIGHT have a group interview where you all take turns answering the same set of questions.

Your individual component might involve answering some questions or solving some problems on a sheet or laptop, plus a panel or one-on-one interview.

On a different note, thanks to the OP and everyone who's posted tips here. I recently got a job and I thought this thread was really helpful for shaping up my resume and navigating the hairier aspects of the recruitment process. It is sweet relief to be employed after so many hours spent applying!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Business Octopus posted:

You have absolutely no reason to give anyone the impression you'll be keeping this other job. It can only hurt you.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Trying to revamp my resume again and I'm not sure what to do about one of my positions. I do freelance work for a local TV station, basically they do two big in-house productions per year and I'm always on the crew. Been doing this for almost 10 years now and I'm now directing live productions. So far I've left it off my resume because the work is sporadic, it's not in my field, and the way my resume is now I have a fully accounted for work history from 2009 - now.

On the other hand, if I can convey that the gig requires me to be fast learner, think on my feet, manage people etc I think it might be worthwhile to put on there. What's a good way to be truthful about the sporadic nature of the work (it's like 20-30 days/year) without downplaying the fact that it's challenging work and I do a good job?

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Vulture Culture posted:

You have absolutely no reason to give anyone the impression you'll be keeping this other job. It can only hurt you.

Thanks to you and twosheds. I figured that trying to work out both at once from the outset would be a detriment. I guess the question then becomes whether or not a one month position is even worth adding to my resume? I guess I'm just concerned about seeming like I'd try to bail as soon as possible at my new position

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Business Octopus posted:

Thanks to you and twosheds. I figured that trying to work out both at once from the outset would be a detriment. I guess the question then becomes whether or not a one month position is even worth adding to my resume? I guess I'm just concerned about seeming like I'd try to bail as soon as possible at my new position

I would leave it off if your resume looks OK without it.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

FadingChord posted:

You were right :saddowns:

I was told I was the close second choice though and to let that supervisor know should I apply for anything in another department and they will put in a good word for me, so that's encouraging at least.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What's the consensus on "branding statements" on resumes? I had my original resume from that Resumes-to-Interviews goon service, got a job off of that, held that job for six years and was recently let go. As part of my severance, I was given a membership to a "Career Management" company, Right Management. One of the first things they told me was that my resume needed a branding statement about myself at the top. I submitted my original resume to their resume writing service, and it basically looks butchered up right now. The branding statement at the top just looks so loving cheap and insincere. I really don't understand how any HR would fall for that kind of puffed-up garbage. I hate that I have to ask this, but are they right in telling me that I need one?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sounds tacky/fluffy to me. Not the same thing as a summary, right? I would take it out.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

illcendiary posted:

What's the consensus on "branding statements" on resumes? I had my original resume from that Resumes-to-Interviews goon service, got a job off of that, held that job for six years and was recently let go. As part of my severance, I was given a membership to a "Career Management" company, Right Management. One of the first things they told me was that my resume needed a branding statement about myself at the top. I submitted my original resume to their resume writing service, and it basically looks butchered up right now. The branding statement at the top just looks so loving cheap and insincere. I really don't understand how any HR would fall for that kind of puffed-up garbage. I hate that I have to ask this, but are they right in telling me that I need one?

The summary/branding statement should, at a glance, answer the question "Who are you and what do you do?"

I can't tell you how many resumes I see that I have to dig down into the meat of the resume to figure out what you do and what you're looking for. If you're a software engineer, say it right up top. And you're right, anything that's super fluffy is pointless and insincere. "hard-working, fast learner"? Everyone says that. Just shy away from BS and also from making it an "objective", which just tells what you want. Instead, what are your skills and how will they add value? Your audience is a hiring manager. Tell them what business problems are you going to solve for them and how you're going to make their life easier.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

air- posted:

Sounds tacky/fluffy to me. Not the same thing as a summary, right? I would take it out.

I guess you could call it a summary, but they were very careful to not call it a summary or an objective, because those are apparently passé these days. It's two or three sentences about my experience that, frankly, you should be able to parse from my resume, which I've taken pains to reduce in wordiness so that it's less than two full pages now.

Dark Helmut posted:

The summary/branding statement should, at a glance, answer the question "Who are you and what do you do?"

I can't tell you how many resumes I see that I have to dig down into the meat of the resume to figure out what you do and what you're looking for. If you're a software engineer, say it right up top. And you're right, anything that's super fluffy is pointless and insincere. "hard-working, fast learner"? Everyone says that. Just shy away from BS and also from making it an "objective", which just tells what you want. Instead, what are your skills and how will they add value? Your audience is a hiring manager. Tell them what business problems are you going to solve for them and how you're going to make their life easier.

Eh, I guess I'm being hard on the resume writer. It's not *that* fluffy, and looking at it now, it basically answers the questions that you're asking. I guess it just frustrates me that I have to play this dumb game of word soup.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

illcendiary posted:

Eh, I guess I'm being hard on the resume writer. It's not *that* fluffy, and looking at it now, it basically answers the questions that you're asking. I guess it just frustrates me that I have to play this dumb game of word soup.

You're marketing yourself, which doesn't come naturally to everyone. "Hey, I'm awesome. Pay me money because I can do xyz." You want to look nice on a first date, right? That summary is your first impression to your potential boss so it's worth putting a little sweat into...

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Buck Turgidson posted:

For the group part you'll probably be given a problem or scenario to run through together before giving a quick presentation. You MIGHT have a group interview where you all take turns answering the same set of questions.

Your individual component might involve answering some questions or solving some problems on a sheet or laptop, plus a panel or one-on-one interview.

Any idea what kind of questions or problems they might be? Are they likely to be related to my field or will they just be random to see how people handle them?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What does it even mean when Monster.com's free resume critique service says "I found your design to be visually uneven"?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Business Octopus posted:

Any legitimate full time job is going to have a condition in the offer that you don't have any side jobs. Just list your side job on your resume like any other job and be prepared to discuss it. But don't go in assuming you're still going to be working on the side.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Josh Lyman posted:

What does it even mean when Monster.com's free resume critique service says "I found your design to be visually uneven"?

That their machine algorithm is vague.

Post it for a real critique.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

gay picnic defence posted:

Any idea what kind of questions or problems they might be? Are they likely to be related to my field or will they just be random to see how people handle them?

Depends on which bit we're talking about. Every one of those I've been to the group scenarios have been at least vaguely related or relevant to the field. Sometimes they're big picture questions about the direction of the firm, sometimes they're specifically about a topic or scenario you might see at work. The individual problems vary widely and could be an example of something you might see on the job, or they might involve giving a writing sample or interpreting a graph. The individual interview is often a fairly standard interview, with the usual stock questions, STAR questions, etc.

If that's too vague it's because it tends to vary. I wouldn't overthink it too much. Practise your regular interview questions, have some examples for the STAR questions, and take a good look through the annual report or other publications to see what trends and issues they're dealing with. Know whatever values they pump in their marketing material so you can draw on those when you answer questions, even if you have no idea what the right answer is.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
So I just cold emailed a place about an internship and they want to have a "meeting discussing employment opportunities".

That's an interview, right? I'm treating it as one.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Eskaton posted:

So I just cold emailed a place about an internship and they want to have a "meeting discussing employment opportunities".

That's an interview, right? I'm treating it as one.

At the very least it's an informational interview, which you should still treat as a job interview in terms of attire, prepwork and bringing your resume/references.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
In an email for a job interview at a software company, they said "we dress fairly casual." Should I still wear the full monkey suit, or should I just have a button up or something? I know they say to dress for the job you want, but I also know the only people who wear suits in software are salesmen and applicants.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Better safe than sorry going in with a suit. They dress casually but they are actually working there and can.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Magnetic North posted:

In an email for a job interview at a software company, they said "we dress fairly casual." Should I still wear the full monkey suit, or should I just have a button up or something? I know they say to dress for the job you want, but I also know the only people who wear suits in software are salesmen and applicants.

Go ahead and directly ask your contact what to wear. I've had some recruiters specify to NOT wear a suit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Magnetic North posted:

What part of the country and what position are you applying for?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

air- posted:

Go ahead and directly ask your contact what to wear. I've had some recruiters specify to NOT wear a suit.

As much as I've ALWAYS parroted the age-old advice to wear a suit, I do feel like times are changing. If they took the liberty of telling you they dress casually, I might wear the suit but forgo the tie to that... That said I now have a few smaller startup clients that I tell people just to wear khakis/polo to. If you're going through a recruiter, ask them since you're probably not the first to interview there. If not, just go with your gut and err on the side of "too fancy".

Incidentally, facial hair has really gained a ton of acceptance as well. Just make it look neat, dammit.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

taqueso posted:

What part of the country and what position are you applying for?

Cambridge, software.

e:

air- posted:

It's someone at the company, not a recruiter, so I think I'm just supposed to take the hint. I am also asking a outplacement person I have for advice, and someone I know in the industry. So far, I'm thinking button up with no tie.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 9, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Cambridge, MA?

Could be chill hippie birks poo poo or relatively uptight compared to SV.

My usual if I don't know how to dress is to wear a jacket and shirt combo that's stylish enough that you don't look uptight but makes you look fairly well put together.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

If it's HubSpot, everyone will be in t-shirts and jeans.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

If it's HubSpot, everyone will be in t-shirts and jeans.

It's not, but then I suppose that raises the question: is the goal to directly fit in, or is the goal to simply not appear overdressed?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

It's not, but then I suppose that raises the question: is the goal to directly fit in, or is the goal to simply not appear overdressed?

My gut says a button up and nice khakis for an interview if the place has no dress code. A suit if a place specifies they're casual seems like overkill, less than that also seems like a risk.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Magnetic North posted:

Dress to impress, but not to kiss rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Anybody got a site or tips for writing cover letters?