Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm watching it. Which one is Tom? The guy that's not on the stage right? They both sound pretty awful actually.

e: I don't really understand the context here. How is Tom the one in the wrong here? Not trying to white knight him or anything, I just really don't understand what's going on here.

Tom's the dude that's screwing up the presentation by screwing up what's being shown on the screen, esp when they show the VR application of their multi-viewport stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/v/64989878?t=85m14s

How to speak to your CEO

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

No poo poo but the video is literally two voices talking to each other with a backdrop of green boxes so forgive me if I don't recognize who is who especially when people are making it sound like Tom is the super idiot one when the not-Tom guy is also really loving stupid in the video too.

Not-Tom is the CEO of Nvidia giving a keynote presentation, Tom is the guy backstage that jumped ahead several slides and then not understanding what the CEO is telling him to do.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

sauer kraut posted:

Polaris 11 is a miniscule chip with a 128bit memory bus, you're off by two steps or so there :smith:
AMD showed the P11 duking it out with a Nvidia 950.

Right, yeah. Too much optimism, and losing track of 11's size, and that the differences between tiers on faster cards are bigger in absolute terms to stay the same proportionally.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Those ashes benchmarks in an article

http://www.mobipicker.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-directx-12-benchmarks-async-compute/

E: nothing here that you can't just gather from the benchmarks yourself, but this guy seemed to find 1440 benches at least

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

This is what I'm reminded of every time I see amd/nvidia graphs these days :cripes:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

Right, yeah. Too much optimism, and losing track of 11's size, and that the differences between tiers on faster cards are bigger in absolute terms to stay the same proportionally.

An actual die shot of P11 confirms it being pretty close to 150-160mm², so 1280-1536SPs. We're being wildly optimistic to begin with already, so why stop? P10 and P11 likely have very similar capability per SP, and (optimistically) P10 ran Hitman @ Ultra 1440p60, this is basically Fury/Fury X capability. That's potentially 2560 vs 4096 SPs, or a whopping 60% difference in SPs for similar results. Let's basically assume for a moment that it's impossible to get a 60% improvement out of SPs at the same frequency, and this is more reflective of increased core clock and µarch improvements. This puts the P11 having the potential equivalent of 2048 to 2458 GCN1.2 SPs, somewhere north of a 380X but just south of a 390.

What I'm saying is if you want to be [wildly] optimistic, P11 might be the new lower bound for VR and AMD has been sandbagging demonstrated performance, thus the CES demo wasn't a demonstration of SDP capability. I think the math is there to support such a conclusion even if one is straining credulity with it.

Computex isn't that far away though, so we'll know very soon, and it should be quite a presentation for AMD. Bristol Ridge, AM4 platform, Polaris, new mobile solutions and possibly wowing everyone with any demo's running on Zen (good time to do it if they still expect Zen in the fall).

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

bull3964 posted:

Or people who desperately need a card at the beginning of June to keep their $600 VR from being a paperweight :(.

Sitting on an unopened Oculus because it most certainly won't run on my 275 GTX SLI system. HDMI ports, DirectX 10, what are those?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There's this now:
http://videocardz.com/59753/amd-polaris-launch-end-of-may

quote:

It is said that AMD is planning a big announcement of Polaris architecture between May 26th to 31st. The event would take place in ‘Las Vegas of Asia’, which is Macau. This event could take place shortly before Computex.

AMD has allegedly already sent invitation to media outlets, however many have been omitted. This event would probably begin with a briefing for the press, and end with a press conference similar to Capsaicin.

So there’s a good chance Radeon 400 series based on Polaris 10 and 11 would make its first appearance at Computex presented by both AMD and its partners.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're targeted at the types who have custom signatures displaying their system specs on their OCUK and [H]ardForum signatures.

bull3964 posted:

Or people who desperately need a card at the beginning of June to keep their $600 VR from being a paperweight :(.

Or people with an SLI 970 system who've been repeatedly burned by recent big-budget games shipping without SLI support and desperately want out :saddowns:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
What model is the 7970 going to be branded as under the 400 series.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Solvency posted:

Sitting on an unopened Oculus because it most certainly won't run on my 275 GTX SLI system. HDMI ports, DirectX 10, what are those?

Flip it on eBay and use the extra cash to buy a GPU, then get another HMD when they drop back to retail price.

You can snag an extra $500 for flipping it right now which is a very solid GPU, like a 980 Ti or a 1070 when they launch. It does you no good sitting in a box when you don't have the GPU to play it, and the eBay scalping gig won't last for much longer.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Variable_H posted:

Not-Tom is the CEO of Nvidia giving a keynote presentation, Tom is the guy backstage that jumped ahead several slides and then not understanding what the CEO is telling him to do.

Tom is Tom Peterson, the Director of Technical Marketing. Apparently he and Jen-Hsun go way back, and I'm joking about him being fired, but that 10 minute flub is still cringey as gently caress.

"Can't see your face but I bet it's not happy right now!"

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have an extra oculus flip that poo poo for $1200. Buy sli 980s

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole reason why I would want a new graphics card is VR, so selling it to buy a new card is a solution O. Henry would be proud of.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

An actual die shot of P11 confirms it being pretty close to 150-160mm², so 1280-1536SPs. We're being wildly optimistic to begin with already, so why stop? P10 and P11 likely have very similar capability per SP, and (optimistically) P10 ran Hitman @ Ultra 1440p60, this is basically Fury/Fury X capability. That's potentially 2560 vs 4096 SPs, or a whopping 60% difference in SPs for similar results. Let's basically assume for a moment that it's impossible to get a 60% improvement out of SPs at the same frequency, and this is more reflective of increased core clock and µarch improvements. This puts the P11 having the potential equivalent of 2048 to 2458 GCN1.2 SPs, somewhere north of a 380X but just south of a 390.

What I'm saying is if you want to be [wildly] optimistic, P11 might be the new lower bound for VR and AMD has been sandbagging demonstrated performance, thus the CES demo wasn't a demonstration of SDP capability. I think the math is there to support such a conclusion even if one is straining credulity with it.

Computex isn't that far away though, so we'll know very soon, and it should be quite a presentation for AMD. Bristol Ridge, AM4 platform, Polaris, new mobile solutions and possibly wowing everyone with any demo's running on Zen (good time to do it if they still expect Zen in the fall).

Comedy option: Polaris 11 was demoed in a system with an underclocked processor. I could definitely see the demo card being clocked at the performance/watt peak and it being able to go higher, which would open up room for the demo against a 950. I could really see that actually, it'd be consistent with the universal truth that first party info is as flattering as possible to the presenter. A midpoint between the 380 and 390 with features to improve VR framerates compared to the 970 might be able to hit that lower bound for VR.

Pretty sure Zen is 2017 btw.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I'm finally comfortable enough now to splurge on a x80 card. I normally buy in the x70 range.

I figure its a good investment for future-proofing with both normal games and VR games. I imagine the 2nd and 3rd generation VR headsets will arrive before I never need to upgrade my GPU again. Those will doubtlessly be higher resolution so I want to be prepared.

Does anyone know how long it takes for EVGA or other vendors to release their versions after Nvidia?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Inverness posted:

Does anyone know how long it takes for EVGA or other vendors to release their versions after Nvidia?

Depends on what kind of cooler you want on your card. I think the blower type will be out day one, and the aftermarket multi-fan style ones will be out somewhat later.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Is eBay or Amazon better/easier for selling GPUs? I have an Amazon account, but never used eBay before

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Aftermarket cards should be out within a few weeks of nvidia stock cards.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

OhFunny posted:

Is eBay or Amazon better/easier for selling GPUs? I have an Amazon account, but never used eBay before

Keep in mind amazon requires you to offer 30 day returns for no reason other than they do not want it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inverness posted:

I'm finally comfortable enough now to splurge on a x80 card. I normally buy in the x70 range.

I figure its a good investment for future-proofing with both normal games and VR games. I imagine the 2nd and 3rd generation VR headsets will arrive before I never need to upgrade my GPU again. Those will doubtlessly be higher resolution so I want to be prepared.

Future proofing shouldnt be a concern when shopping for GPUs.
But anyways they're being released a good 2 years into the lifecycle of the current gen consoles. You'll be fine until the PS5/Xbox Two

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Leftover cash is usually as good or better for future proofing in my experience.

Also the extra cost for a blower is nuts. I'd consider it for a cooler like the Fury X. For a blower that's just a nasty way to soak early adopters and OEMs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But anyways they're being released a good 2 years into the lifecycle of the current gen consoles. You'll be fine until the PS5/Xbox Two

Well the PS4.5 and Xbox 1.5 are probably showing up this year/next year. They're still pretty drat cpu bound though from the sounds of things. edit 2: At least the PS 4.5 has some info from leaked documents. Xbox 1.5 is still just "Hey guys...so we kinda want to upgrade the xbox one's hardware" in a weird aside in a press conference by phil spencer.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm more concerned about VR future proofing. The next generation Rift and Vive will be here long before the next console generation.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Depends on what kind of cooler you want on your card. I think the blower type will be out day one, and the aftermarket multi-fan style ones will be out somewhat later.
What's the significant difference between these two types of coolers?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Don Lapre posted:

Keep in mind amazon requires you to offer 30 day returns for no reason other than they do not want it.

Nvm. Found the policy.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 9, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Inverness posted:

I'm more concerned about VR future proofing. The next generation Rift and Vive will be here long before the next console generation.

Its difficult to be certain before any actual reviews and benchmarks but blowers tend to be louder and run a little hotter over large open air fan coolers. The ones in question here will also cost more than typically better performing open air coolers.

Now ... if its enough to matter to you is a different question.

Blower coolers vent more hot air out of the case, making them ideal for tight hot cases or SLI setups. Open air coolers keep more heat inside the case, but the performance benefit overcomes this negative and temperatures are still generally better.

I would never actually pay more for a blower cooler without good reason personally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

OhFunny posted:

Nvm. Found the policy.

Amazon marketplace vendors have to offer atleast the same or better policies as amazon.

Whats often repeated on the seller forums to new sellers. This is not ebay.

Now you can charge restock fees. But most sellers will just tell you to accept the return and send them a label. If someone does an atoz claiming there is an issue with it there is basically nothing you can do and they may end up with the product and their money.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Amazon marketplace vendors have to offer atleast the same or better policies as amazon.

Whats often repeated on the seller forums to new sellers. This is not ebay.

Not that I'm actually interested, but could you offer the 30 return WITH a 30% restocking fee? Even at $1200, you'd get to keep $360 lol!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

20% max. Dont remember all the rules but a buyer can just claim it wasn't as described and file an atoz

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

I prefer returning on eBay, I might have to argue once in a while but it always goes my way.

When you return on Amazon, they can arbitrarily decide you've made too many returns, cancel your account, and pocket the $2000 in gift card balance you have. Sounds like it should be illegal but you can Google it and they've done it quite a bit. Hasn't happened to me but I'm terrified since they don't define what too many returns is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inverness posted:

For VR the bottlecap is always going to be resolution and refresh rate, regardless of other features (head/eye/motion track and whatever) which are the lightest of loads compared to rendering.
So it's simply going to be like getting a new (much bigger) monitor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Inverness posted:

Blowers are designed for cases with no/low airflow inside the case, and work very well for small setups since they dump heat outside the case itself. They're perfect for tiny ITX builds, where the GPU is typically smushed right against the side of the case, and there might be a grill/cutout area for a blower's squirrel cage fan intake.

They can be louder (Although Nvidia's reference blowers going back to the original Titan are very very good, both in cooling ability and noise characteristics) since they're working with a single smaller higher RPM fan.

Open air coolers are the ones with a huge, not enclosed heatsink, with 2-3 ~120mm fans strapped to it, similar to the ones on your case or CPU cooler. With more surface area and more fans to work with, they can run at a lower speed and be quieter than a single blower fan, however your case needs space and good airflow on it's own, because all the heat is getting dumped right inside the case instead of being exhausted directly out the back. This doesn't work well at all for SLI setups, or cases without a lot of airflow.

For anyone with a typical midtower sized desktop with good fans, there's no reason to favor a blower design over an open air style cooler.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Multi-Projection stuff in Pascal is a huge deal for VR. You can't discount the ability to do single pass.

That immediately puts the 1080 and 1070 on a longer longevity path than any card that lacks that ability since as the resolution of the VR displays scale, those cards will be at a distinct advantage.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gwaihir posted:

Blowers are designed for cases with no/low airflow inside the case, and work very well for small setups since they dump heat outside the case itself. They're perfect for tiny ITX builds, where the GPU is typically smushed right against the side of the case, and there might be a grill/cutout area for a blower's squirrel cage fan intake.

They can be louder (Although Nvidia's reference blowers going back to the original Titan are very very good, both in cooling ability and noise characteristics) since they're working with a single smaller higher RPM fan.

Open air coolers are the ones with a huge, not enclosed heatsink, with 2-3 ~120mm fans strapped to it, similar to the ones on your case or CPU cooler. With more surface area and more fans to work with, they can run at a lower speed and be quieter than a single blower fan, however your case needs space and good airflow on it's own, because all the heat is getting dumped right inside the case instead of being exhausted directly out the back. This doesn't work well at all for SLI setups, or cases without a lot of airflow.

For anyone with a typical midtower sized desktop with good fans, there's no reason to favor a blower design over an open air style cooler.

I will go far as to say open air works just as fine in mitx cases that are designed for it as well. I have a 980ti in a RVZ02 and the temp went up 5 degrees over a good mid tower, and its still just as noisy/quiet. But that case does have its own gpu "chamber" and the side of the case that fans face is basically a grill of sorts, but as far as I know a lot of them are designed with this in mind. I just can't say for sure if a blower is indeed better than open air in these cases because I've never tried a blower with this, but I suspect I'd still prefer open air if I did.

Despite performing well, I took off the side of the case with the gpu anyway because it runs even cooler that way lol (and quieter), much more so than being in a mid tower.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Just dropping by to say "holy poo poo, that thing looks awesome". Not envious of AMD right now.

I was planning to wait for the Titan card (for HBM), but I'm not sure my willpower (and 670) can survive the level of nerd porn that I'm going to see in the next couple of weeks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Durinia posted:

Just dropping by to say "holy poo poo, that thing looks awesome". Not envious of AMD right now.

It sucks a bit because AMD is kinda doing the "right thing" by trying to prioritize affordable low/mid-tier cards for the 99%. The problem for them is us GPU 1-percenters are the opinion leaders and the "best card in the world" halo trickles from prosumers and media outlets down to the word of mouth the Joe Schlub hears from the brick and mortar retail kid or their friend who's getting the 1080.

I hope they stay competitive though. I'm almost certainly sticking with them because I'm not sinking $400-ish into flipping the FreeSync monitor I have and paying the premium for a G-Sync.

I wonder if they put as much work into the VR wizardry as NVidia though. I'm assuming that stuff is way more software than something unchangeable in the hardware pipeline?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

xthetenth posted:

Comedy option: Polaris 11 was demoed in a system with an underclocked processor. I could definitely see the demo card being clocked at the performance/watt peak and it being able to go higher, which would open up room for the demo against a 950. I could really see that actually, it'd be consistent with the universal truth that first party info is as flattering as possible to the presenter. A midpoint between the 380 and 390 with features to improve VR framerates compared to the 970 might be able to hit that lower bound for VR.

Pretty sure Zen is 2017 btw.

Aren't we putting a little too much scrutiny on Polaris 11 when Polaris 10 is supposed to be the enthusiast end of that product stack?

Also, Zen is scheduled for Q4 2016. I know, :AMD:, but there was news that AMD would be debuting with 8- and 6- core parts first with no 2- or 4- core parts until later. I hope this means that the yields are good, (and therefore probably on-track?) even though the words "8-core AMD CPU" is firmly associated with garbo FX processors in my head.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Zero VGS posted:

It sucks a bit because AMD is kinda doing the "right thing" by trying to prioritize affordable low/mid-tier cards for the 99%. The problem for them is us GPU 1-percenters are the opinion leaders and the "best card in the world" halo trickles from prosumers and media outlets down to the word of mouth the Joe Schlub hears from the brick and mortar retail kid or their friend who's getting the 1080.

I'm rooting for AMD too but I think we'll have to see the 1060 and 1050 before we can make a call about whether AMD's getting shafted by Nvidia's mindshare monopoly yet again. Or at least wait for baby Polaris to come out and be worthwhile so that it becomes ridiculous to recommend 950s and 960s over AMD cards. Not that that's going to stop people. Maybe tiny boy Polaris will come with 6 gigs of VRAM so they can win over the kind of layman who doesn't understand any other metric for GPU performance?

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
In my dream scenario Polaris 10 is competitive with at least the 1070 and costs significantly less just so that AMD can agree with NVidia about them having 'an irresponsible amount of performance'.