Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely don't understand why they are doubling down so hard on this. Even the die-hard Republicans I know find the entire thing kind of pointless. Like even a complete shithead I work with had the response of "yeah, well, they're not really women/men but it'd be pretty hosed up if Jenner used the men room these days." I guess it must have some approval rating somewhere but it feels like it's one of those things defeated by five seconds and a picture of Katastrophe or something.
This bathroom bill would force Jenner to use the men's room because that's the gender on the birth certificate. The bill forces confrontation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump was never, ever, not leading in the polls by a wide margin aside from a week in October during the Ben Carson Experience. We just all figured he'd eventually tapper off but he never did.

He also wasn't leading in the polls before July 20th. Jeb of all people was leading most of the time before that... with a whole 16%

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Phone posted:

Wow, Mayor McCheese is suing the Feds. He really is that loving stupid.

He's just doing his part to either turn NC blue in November or we regulate the state to the pits of the south alongside Florida and Alabama.

CommieGIR posted:

Exactly. Don't forget they basically blocked any debate to ensure it passed, because they knew it wouldn't pass otherwise.

This all reeks of Liberty Council advising the Governor, because its got 'Kim Davis Part Deux' written all over it, especially as the Attorney General has said he'll have no part of it.

What better way to get them added as protected class than to directly attack them! Bravo!

They specifically mentioned Congress because they know Congress isn't going to make trans people a protected class, so if the SCOTUS were to actually have to get involved and they decide "yes, trans are a protected class" we get FUKKING UNELECTED USURPER JUDGES part 2394703246 cries from the far white wing of the GOP.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
What are the odds of McCrory getting his rear end handed to him in November, because this poo poo is seriously making me want to weep for my home state.

(Also, the whole "toss the whole state to the dogs" strategy might be unwise considering NC is one of the five or ten swingiest states right now)

ImpAtom posted:

I really genuinely don't understand why they are doubling down so hard on this. Even the die-hard Republicans I know find the entire thing kind of pointless. Like even a complete shithead I work with had the response of "yeah, well, they're not really women/men but it'd be pretty hosed up if Jenner used the men room these days." I guess it must have some approval rating somewhere but it feels like it's one of those things defeated by five seconds and a picture of Katastrophe or something.

Man I know Caitlyn Jenner is a pretty crappy person on a personal level, but thank god for her existence honestly.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

icantfindaname posted:

You're seeing the structure of the post-Reagan GOP establishment collapsing in real time. Meanwhile the Democratic establishment actually considers this a bad thing because it means they'll face more pressure from their left from the filthy stupid peasants who don't understand the superiority of think tank Wonks and Goldman Sachs analysts over leftists and poor people

You seem upset about something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe North Carolina is secretively pro trans rights and they know going to court over title will result in a protected class ruling

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Quorum posted:

You seem upset about something.

Nothing wrong with wanting nice things to happen when the tide rolls back in our favor. Or in the bitter knowledge that the change we want isn't going to happen.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

showbiz_liz posted:

What are the odds of McCrory getting his rear end handed to him in November, because this poo poo is seriously making me want to weep for my home state.

Civitas' last poll had him trailing Cooper by 9. They generally contract with Survey USA for polling, but they didn't say who did the last one.

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's just doing his part to either turn NC blue in November or we regulate the state to the pits of the south alongside Florida and Alabama.

The best case scenario is Mayor McCheese loses (looking more and more likely) and dems end the supermajority in the state House. They need to flip 3 seats to do so, and they managed to get that many in 2014, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. The state Senate is a lost cause for a couple more cycles minimum.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 9, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

as halfway crooks posted:

yeah i agree we should totally pay to maintain 174 base sites in germany because otherwise how will they afford to provide migrants with welfare

We do, because we're the ones that provide collective defense to basically the entirety of Europe. An arms race among Western nation-states is something I'm keen to avoid, and something you should be as well.

One of the things that's most important to recognize is that regardless of what you think of the occasional ill advised bloody adventure that costs lives (read: Iraq), the United States does immense good for the world by operating as a peacekeeping force for the West. That's to say nothing of the fact that there is a disincentive for the Western states to conflict with one another due to the United States' establishment, support, or participation in multi-nation institutions like the United Nations, the European Union, or the World Bank and the IMF.

Status of Forces Agreements and military bases overseas in allied countries serve as a way for those nations to outsource defense and intelligence to the US. That's actually a good thing, because it means that there is little competition (read: defensive dick waving) internally among the West, and the result is a mostly united front that can be presented to counter Chinese and Russian influence.

While we've hosed up pretty catestrophically in the past and done some lovely things that have cost more than a hundred thousand dead Iraqis, the fact remains that the United States is one of the most powerful forces for peace on the world stage, and that's something we should all be very grateful for.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In many ways this election is unusual. I mean you'd think that people would see a populist backlash brewing but as we all know the media and beltway have their heads firmly lodged up their asses.

i think everyone saw a populist uprising, that's why there were so many also rans at the start of the season trying to be the guy who runs as the outsider. five sitting governors, four former governors, and three people who had never held any elected office. nobody angling as a beltway outsider anticipated the king of all blowhards finally stepping into the ring

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 9, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dexo posted:

lol usually when a lovely law gets exposed they just veto and strike the law down publicly and then try to sneak it in again in a couple of months or so. Shouts to NC for saying gently caress that we are going to publicly do this and gently caress yall.

Well, you have to admire their chutzpah, at least...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/729704020273733633

Please be immediate withholding of federal funds, that would be hilarious.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

We do, because we're the ones that provide collective defense to basically the entirety of Europe. An arms race among Western nation-states is something I'm keen to avoid, and something you should be as well.

One of the things that's most important to recognize is that regardless of what you think of the occasional ill advised bloody adventure that costs lives (read: Iraq), the United States does immense good for the world by operating as a peacekeeping force for the West. That's to say nothing of the fact that there is a disincentive for the Western states to conflict with one another due to the United States' establishment, support, or participation in multi-nation institutions like the United Nations, the European Union, or the World Bank and the IMF.

Status of Forces Agreements and military bases overseas in allied countries serve as a way for those nations to outsource defense and intelligence to the US. That's actually a good thing, because it means that there is little competition (read: defensive dick waving) internally among the West, and the result is a mostly united front that can be presented to counter Chinese and Russian influence.

While we've hosed up pretty catestrophically in the past and done some lovely things that have cost more than a hundred thousand dead Iraqis, the fact remains that the United States is one of the most powerful forces for peace on the world stage, and that's something we should all be very grateful for.

The EU should really have its own combined military at this point.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Had to check who the assailant was. I was legitimately afraid it could have been a relative based on the area.

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 9, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

showbiz_liz posted:

The last few polls (note: according to Wikipedia) has our boy Roy beating out the margin of error.

So I'd say pretty decent chance considering the tomfoolery of the last few years.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Three Olives posted:

we're so so dumb, good lord

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

What the hell?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zelder posted:

we're so so dumb, good lord

Sorry for you and people like you down there, but your state is about to get rawdogged by the JD.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Phone posted:

The last few polls (note: according to Wikipedia) has our boy Roy beating out the margin of error.

So I'd say pretty decent chance considering the tomfoolery of the last few years.

Good, cause it's getting really old to sit up here in Godless Yankdom and watch the state try its hardest to ditch every ounce of decency it has ever had.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

showbiz_liz posted:

Good, cause it's getting really old to sit up here in Godless Yankdom and watch the state try its hardest to ditch every ounce of decency it has ever had.

I relinked an op ed come along bort linked in the NC LAN thread bashing the Neo Carpetbaggers who now hold most of the political offices in NC.

It's a real race to the bottom.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Highly recommend Keepin it 1600, Jon Favreau and Dan Pfeiffer's podcast. Really smart political analysis from two former White House insiders, and surprisingly entertaining.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/keepin-it-1600/id1111751047?mt=2

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 9, 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Sorry for you and people like you down there, but your state is about to get rawdogged by the JD.

yeah. yeah :(

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crain posted:

Had to check who the assailant was. I was legitimately afraid is could have been a relative based on the area.

Same.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

I relinked an op ed come along bort linked in the NC LAN thread bashing the Neo Carpetbaggers who now hold most of the political offices in NC.

It's a real race to the bottom.

In an added bit of irony unlike the leadership of the NCGOP, AG Lynch is actually from North Carolina.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah this is a good thing. The feds need to show they're not loving around because the clown car in Raleigh most certainly still thinks this is all a big game.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 9, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://www.justia.com/education/docs/title-ix-legal-manual/federal-funding-agency-methods-to-enforce-compliance.html

quote:

C. Fund Suspension and Termination
Several procedural requirements must be satisfied before an agency may deny or terminate federal funds to an applicant/recipient. A four step process is involved:

1) the agency must notify the recipient that it is not in compliance with the statute and that voluntary compliance cannot be achieved;

2) after an opportunity for a hearing on the record, the "responsible Department official" must make an express finding of failure to comply.

3) the head of the agency must approve the decision to suspend or terminate funds; and

4) the head of the agency must file a report with the House and Senate legislative committees having jurisdiction over the programs involved and wait 30 days before terminating funds.121 The report must provide the grounds for the decision to deny or terminate the funds to the recipient or applicant. 42 U.S.C. § 2000d-1; 20 U.S.C. § 1682; See, e.g., 45 C.F.R. § 80.8(c) (HHS).

I am obviously not a lawyer but from quick reading it appears that since the funds are taken voluntarily by the state with an agreement to comply with title XI the DOJ is not obligated to take them to court over withholding funds, they just have to notify them that they are not in compliance (Check), give them the opportunity to voluntarily comply which they refuse (check), Loretta Lynch has to agree that they fail to comply (Check, obviously) and then they just have to notify the House and Senate that they are going to deny the funds which has no power to overrule and 30 days later, bye, bye funds. Of course I am sure the Senate or House could attempt to intervene but it would turn into a massive and expensive federal lawsuit that most people don't support headed into an election.

It looks like court action is completely separate enforcement mechanism than the process of withholding funds to get relief, that the withholding of funds is independent since they are taken voluntarily.

In other words, N.C. is about to be hosed by a 14" dildo without lube.

I suspect the announcement is that Loretta Lynch is formally notifying N.C. as of today that they have 30 days to comply or federal funds will be yanked.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 9, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

comes along bort posted:

Nah this is a good thing. The feds need to show they're not loving around because the clown car in Raleigh most certainly still thinks this is all a big game.

Countdown until the state eats the loss in federal funding and then cuts social services and education to make the gap.

Maybe throw in a couple of one-time revenue increase gimmicks like selling off state assets.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Countdown until the state eats the loss in federal funding and then cuts social services and education to make the gap.

Maybe throw in a couple of one-time revenue increase gimmicks like selling off state assets.

And then never be reelected.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Bad news, it looks like Philippino Trump will win the Philippine president election.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36244456

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/philippines-presidential-candidate-rodrigo-duterte-the-trump-of-the-east

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Three Olives posted:

https://www.justia.com/education/docs/title-ix-legal-manual/federal-funding-agency-methods-to-enforce-compliance.html

I am obviously not a lawyer but from quick reading it appears that since the funds are taken voluntarily by the state with an agreement to comply with title XI the DOJ is not obligated to take them to court over withholding funds, they just have to notify them that they are not in compliance (Check), give them the opportunity to voluntarily comply which they refuse (check), Loretta Lynch has to agree they their fail to comply (Check, obviously) and then they just have to notify the House and Senate that they are going to deny the funds which has no power to overrule and 30 days later, bye, bye funds. Of course I am sure the Senate or House could attempt to intervene but it would turn into a massive and expensive federal lawsuit that most people don't support headed into an election.

It looks like court action is completely separate enforcement mechanism than the process of withholding funds to get relief, that the withholding of funds is independent since they are taken voluntarily.

In other words, N.C. is about to be hosed by a 14" dildo without lube.

I suspect the announcement is that Loretta Lynch is formally notifying N.C. as of today that they have 30 days to comply or federal funds will be yanked.

The state will just get an injunction stopping the Feds from withholding the money until the court case works the way up to scotus.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

As a UNC system graduate, I am glad that all this is happening as we're going into the summer session and am hoping any funding issues that happen as a result will affect a minimal number of students. Like many states our public funding of education (both higher and lower) has taken a frightful beating in the past several years, and if they end up pulling federal funds for some time it will really be a cherry on top of a poo poo sundae.

However, the accelerationist part of me is really hoping that whatever they do makes people angry enough that we get some serious protests to make McCrory and co. back off of this idiocy and some serious turnout to replace him in November. Everyone I speak to seems to agree that this is a terrible idea and a waste of time and effort, but I'm in the Triangle so I know the sample is badly skewed.

^^ Of course, if the feds have to wait a month to do anything and the fools in Raleigh still don't back off before that point then I guess we could see all kinds of issues with the fall semester. Here's hoping that's not the case.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The state will just get an injunction stopping the Feds from withholding the money until the court case works the way up to scotus.

They're request an injunction, I am not sure if they'd get it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

Casting out the unclean ("smear the queer") is a powerful force in the Republican id.

More directly, McCrory and the Republican legislature slapped their dicks on the table and made a big public deal over this legislation and whipped up a lot of frenzy in the right wing fearosphere about scary men dressing as girls to prey on your precious flowers in public restrooms.

They can't back down now without publicly admitting defeat, and that's not something you do and survive as a Republican.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

It appears that they aren't entitled to an injunction because they accept the funds voluntarily, there is nothing that entitles them to the funds. It's would be like suing your dad for taking away your allowance because you refused to do the dishes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They can't back down now without publicly admitting defeat, and that's not something you do and survive as a Republican.

I doubt they expected this level of reaction from the FedGov, but 2016 Obama doesn't give a poo poo about playing nice with the GOP anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're request an injunction, I am not sure if they'd get it.

Why not? The impact of cutting off funding is huge and the injunctions against the Clean Power Plan, the immigration EOs etc all make me think the courts will stop any funding cutoff. Think of the children.

Three Olives posted:

It appears that they aren't entitled to an injunction because they accept the funds voluntarily, it's would be like suing your dad for taking away your allowance because you refused to do the dishes.

Ianal, but I'm pretty sure you can take legal action when the Fed administrators wrongfully cut off funding. This is just like any other slap fight over the administration of a fedral program. An area where the courts have been siding with the states over the feds when making injunctions.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 9, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Xanderkish posted:

This is a pro-click and is making me rethink relying on five-thirty-eight somewhat.

This paragraph is just mind-bogglingly stupid:

quote:

Good science is falsifiable. Silver’s horserace predictions are not. When he says that Clinton has a 95 percent chance of winning the California primary if it were held today, you couldn’t prove or disprove him (because the primary won’t be held today, and even if it were, it would be held only once, not 100 times so you could see if she lost five of them). It’s an untestable assertion of who’s ahead and who’s behind that relies on the model’s past outcomes to be credible.

"Uncertainty estimates are not science" *faaaaaaaart*

Silver/538 has issues with the model, isn't open at all about the subjective decisions that go into said model, and particularly sucks when they inject bullshit punditry where it doesn't belong, but this article whiffs pretty hard on where the problems lie.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And then never be reelected.

Sadly, this isn't an issue for them. As Comes Along Bort said these guys are all carpetbaggers who aren't from NC and have no investment in it's future. They'll just pack up and move to the next state where their shtick will work. They can't pull this off in places like CA or MD or NY but there's plenty of conservative states where they can try and create their anti-anything but WASP utopia. And they'll keep jumping from one to the next till it works, or they run out of states.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Why not? The impact of cutting off funding is huge and the injunctions against the Clean Power Plan, the immigration EOs etc all make me think the courts will stop any funding cutoff. Think of the children.

Those are a little different and it depends on the court, frankly.

Really though, if the Governor is smart he will surrender; but it seems like he has decided this is the hill he wants his political career to die on.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crain posted:

Sadly, this isn't an issue for them. As Comes Along Bort said these guys are all carpetbaggers who aren't from NC and have no investment in it's future. They'll just pack up and move to the next state where their shtick will work. They can't pull this off in places like CA or MD or NY but there's plenty of conservative states where they can try and create their anti-anything but WASP utopia. And they'll keep jumping from one to the next till it works, or they run out of states.

I meant the governor, who's political career will be over and state Republicans who's career and majorities will be endangered by this stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A third of the state legislative seats are unopposed this year and maybe a dozen are even remotely competitive. They have nothing to lose from giving up at this point, and on top of that a bunch of them are retiring after this year.

McCrory's an idiot who has no clue what he's doing, but he's irrelevant anyway. After the first couple veto overrides he got the message and now just rubber stamps whatever comes out of the general assembly.

• Locked thread