  • Post
zimgr
Apr 12, 2010

Viruswithshoes posted:

You're doing the Lord's work, son. Keep going and post your results!

Tony Homo posted:

Don't listen to Urban Smurf. He's insane and rambles on making no sense ALL the time.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm planning on heading back to the park again next weekend, weather permitting, to get more pictures of the new Eastern, Southern, and Central trees. I would really like to get a north facing shot of the Central tree to see if the position of the trunks match up with the pillars in the foreground of the image. If they do, I might have to look into how to get permission to dig. The train passes right by like every 10 minutes and there are cameras set up along the track for a photo stand at the station, so digging without permission might be possible, but very difficult. Also, I'm broke as poo poo and have nothing to pay a fee or bail with, so I'm not going to touch it without permission.

Let me know if you guys think there is anything else I missed in the previous album that you would like me to grab.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
zimgr,

Matching the pillars to actual pillars would be ideal. wilhouse tried that back in the original site of the childrens zoo where he found some wooden posts that almost did the trick, but couldnt make headway even after contacting the author.

Matching the pillars to trees seems like the next best thing and works with lines about through the wood and the strongest tower of delight. Other locations, like MKE or the verse 9 puzzle use tree references, so Houston might be no different.

My Houston theory doesnt have an answer for the pillars. I have suspected they might align with tall light post locations around the MOT, similar to where 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base are positioned on the Astros baseball field. Last time I checked, theres only one really tall light post on the back side of the hill. Maybe there were more back before renovations.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 2, 2016

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

There's something about this puzzle picture that I see all the time and really bugs me:

It's the slab of stone propped up at the bottom of the camel pillar. Why is it there? My eye is drawn to it every time because it's right in the middle of the picture. Both of the solved puzzles have something quite specific which indicates 'dig here' (the flower planter and the picket fence). I can't help but feeling that a small detail like that could be the thing to unlocking the right place to dig. Maybe have a scout about in the area to see if a slab of stone can be found?

Also, the train track in your picture and the puzzle picture bends to the right

Is there a part of the track nearby where the track's curve is more prominent? Or perhaps something nearby that matches up with the other 2 curved cracks in the paving stones near the spout? (all the others are straight - another detail that bugs me) Could be a trough or pathway that lines up in the eyeline with the track to indicate you're in a more specific spot...

Anyway, keep going!

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
How about the mountains in the back ground. Could that line up with something? Also to the top right where the leaves are on the tree there's something that to me looks like stones and not leaves.

zimgr
Apr 12, 2010

Viruswithshoes posted:

[...]

I was also eyeing that upturned slab of stone. I didn't see anything that would relate to it. The notion that it could be the dig site is very interesting though. I'll see if something matches up to it on the next outing.

Also, the train track was moved after Preiss visited. The track in my pictures was actually more northward and would be off the island now, and the paths were not built at that point. As you can see in the image below, it was more of a defined loop, with the proposed location being pretty much in the center of the track.

(thanks to the wiki, where it was pulled from)

My take on the track in the bottom of Image 08 is that the two tracks on the tile are positioned so that the jewel is between them. I believe that was put in there to further point out that the cask was in the area between the tracks. They also look like they curve towards each other off the bottom of the Image and might connect, much like the old track did.

Tony Homo posted:

How about the mountains in the back ground. Could that line up with something? Also to the top right where the leaves are on the tree there's something that to me looks like stones and not leaves.

If we're looking north, like we are in the picture, Downtown Houston would be directly behind the park. The mountains could symbolize the city as cited in the verse: "Fortress north, Cold as glass". I also noticed many of the older buildings in that area just north of the park, are styled in a tan brick scheme, which might also fit the bill.

I'm not sure which areas you're talking about in the leaves. I do see some dense areas that look like they were shaded in to a smooth texture though. If that's what you mean, I'm not sure what that could symbolize, if anything.

Furthermore, the mod of the wiki hooked me up with another guy in the area and we're planning on heading out on the 15th to check out the two pinpointed areas, and possibly dig. He's apparently a forestry expert, so that would be useful in telling how old some of these trees are.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I am impressed by the Houston work. When I move down there, I'm going to take the inspiration I'm getting from The Detectorists and channel it into digging on public land and getting arrested.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So the conclusion it's at the southeast corner of the tree that's in the center of the cross? The place the red jewel is in relation to that globe pillar?

Sounds like good enough reason to request a dig permit, fill out all the paperwork, and wait for the snow to clear but the weather to stay cool.

What the hell is that slab, anyway?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 5, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sounds like good enough reason to request a dig permit, fill out all the paperwork, and wait for the snow to clear but the weather to stay cool.

Houston has neither of these weather phenomena.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BigFactory posted:

Houston has neither of these weather phenomena.

That's a relief. So little is known about Texas weather that it's hard to figure these things out on one's own. So making a dig is now just a matter of waiting for gaps in the schedule of local colleges, breaking one's wrist, and waiting for the wrist to heal.

Also, has there been any good guesses as to what the heck this birthmark is on the Charleston Map?

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
I think someone in here (Urban Smurf?) said it was a map of the Holy Roman Empire.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I found the treasure, its called love and it was in our hearts this whole time.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If only Xie had just sprayed the park with Faygo instead

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Best match in a year.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The Miller Outdoor Theater roof is secured on either side by two large titled stone "pier" blocks.

zimgr
Apr 12, 2010

Urban Smurf posted:

The Miller Outdoor Theater roof is secured on either side by two large titled stone "pier" blocks.

I did not think about that. It's possible, they do look very similar. Perhaps another perspective to line up? Those anchors look to be in the ENE on google maps, while they're more NNE in the image, so that might be a bit of a stretch. I do think you are on to something though.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I know the location of a cask but while typing up the message that described my solution I broke my wrist.

After that heals, and if it isn't winter, and I'm not busy I'll tell you guys.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I know the location of a cask but while typing up the message that described my solution I broke my wrist.

After that heals, and if it isn't winter, and I'm not busy I'll tell you guys.

Waitaminute, you broke your wrist but typed this post? Are you sure this just isn't your one Internet post from jail?

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Waitaminute, you broke your wrist but typed this post? Are you sure this just isn't your one Internet post from jail?

I'm Gnarlys parachute account and must ask you to not speak that way about my gently caress buddy.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Image 8, Verse 1 - Hooston, HOUSTON! (See Burt Reynolds and Julie Andrews in "The Man Who Loved Women")

Just a couple things about Image 8. Here are the emails that were sent between Q4T forums user wilhouse and Byron Preiss while wilhouse was literally using heavy equipment and GPR at the Children's Zoo.

wilhouse 2005 email to Byron Preiss posted:

bp,

Byron, the children's zoo is being rennovated and bulldozed over. I
only have a few months to find the casque. After that, if it is
in the children's zoo, it will be destroyed and I will be heartbroken.

Can you at least confirm whether I am in the right location or not? We
found the original article on the casque found in chicago
and noticed that you did originally advise the Chicago finders that they
were right. If I am in the wrong location, then the clues to
the casque are gone and the hunt is over anyways. Any information that
you would be willing to give up would be greatly appreciated.

wilhouse

Then, according to wilhouse, "in response to the photo that I sent him which showed the image 8 superimposed on the Children's Zoo"

Preiss' Response to wilhouse posted:

From: BPreiss@aol.com
To: wilhouse
Subject: Re: A final plea before it's too late
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:43:38 EDT

> it would not be a waste of time to dig there, but I cannot make any
> guarantees whatsoever

Q4T Forums user wilhouse commenting on the exchange posted:

This was the last email I received from him, as he passed away shortly afterwards.

Let me be clear, BP and I conversed about many subjects. I am an avid sci fi reader and I purchased many books he published. I tried not to overload him on Secret stuff cause after Egbert found his cask he received hundreds of emails on the subject. I tried to make sure that I only emailed him sporadically about the secret.

He told me once that I had the wrong location, when I was out by the fountains near the museum. He told me several times that he couldn't tell me any more, just to later tell me I was close.

His message that it would not be a waste of time to dig there was, in my humble opinion, as close as he would come to telling me I was right. I say this because he had told me when I was wrong before.

I still think it's there, but our opportunity to get it is small.

So that's what Preiss had to say about efforts in Houston.

Sam Elliot as John Buford in Gettysburg might as well have been talking about my dedication to this treasure hunt when he posted:

The way you sometimes feel before an ill-considered attack... knowing it will fail... but you cannot stop it. You must even take part and help it fail.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
I've thought a lot about wilhouse's reports and I find it difficult to ascertain what exactly was being considered for Preiss to respond in such a way. How exactly did wilhouse approach the puzzle? Evidently, Preiss was willing to say the area near the fountains wasn't fruitful. Surely, Preiss was gauging wilhouse's theory for whether it would lead to a discovery if he just stuck with it, or whether it was abysmally lacking.

People love to say how "simple" these puzzles were designed to be. Are they really so easy that a child could solve them? Or are they slightly harder than we think, and it takes the sort of education that might be expected for someone who would recognize the quote from Pierre, the Abiguities? I think Preiss wasn't very impressed with wilhouse and it's possible he felt some insult from people's failure to grasp the general build of the puzzles.

I wonder if there is something to Preiss response that may be considered. He says "it would not be a waste of time to dig there." If he is giving a hint as an option to saying "thats right" or "wrong", then the words "waste of time" might be somehow applicable to the puzzle.

Another common phrase to say the same thing is to "kill time" or to "run the clock" if in a sports context. Did Preiss say the negative "it would not be a waste of time" as another way of saying killing time would be a more correct approach?

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 7, 2016

.random
May 7, 2007

Urban Smurf posted:

Did Preiss say the negative "it would not be a waste of time" as another way of saying killing time would be a more correct approach?

:tinfoil:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Aye. I couldnt get my thought into a decent sentence. The idea that I'm trying to work out is to do with the Melville quote, which I dont think requires source recognition, because as poetic as it may sound it still seems plain to understand. "What we take to be the strongest tower of delight, falls gently in December night," may lead us to narrow our options to the Atropos sculpture because it towers above everyone around since it stands at the top of the hill and December is a hint for the winter of a person's life, their time is short, or their time has been used to live a full life to old age.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Merlot, you missed mentioning some other emails from Preiss to wilhouse on the Houston location,

quote:

It's Wilhouse, definitely NOT Milhouse...

well, interesting. I always just figured he accidentally hit send before he finished his email. He was a man of few words back then. I got several emails from him that were less than 10 words, including "it is me..happy searching!
."

I put the period where he did, on the next line.

There's some people who think the cask is not even in Houston. To that I say: "there is a treasure in houston. that's all i can tell you
."

and here is the line in question: "after 22 Years all I can say is l
."

According to my webmail program (I used nameplanet at that time), the font is "monospace 12 pt".

WIlhouse

I put forth the theory that Preiss intentionally sent an incomplete sentence in order to show he was "cut-off" as a way of dancing around the idea that the puzzle is largely based on Atropos, the Fate who decides when people's lives are "cut-off".

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Urban Smurf posted:

Merlot, you missed mentioning some other emails from Preiss to wilhouse on the Houston location,

I put forth the theory that Preiss intentionally sent an incomplete sentence in order to show he was "cut-off" as a way of dancing around the idea that the puzzle is largely based on Atropos, the Fate who decides when people's lives are "cut-off".

Omfg

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The 982 reference is more than a Houston landmark reference. I think it suggests Preiss expressed some panache with his ability to find anagrams. The whole puzzle as it's been engaged and discussed in these forums has long been heavy on what is or isnt a fit in the Zoo and other features around the Park, but little gets tossed into the ring in terms of each clue being sought for reasons applied as the fair folk of Araby would be concerned. I think the 982 train engine is of interest because the word ENGINE can be rearranged to spell GENNIE or N-GENIE.

As we entertain various references, it might be fun to look for these odd little connections to the cultural element. I was just reminded of the New Orleans turqoise of the Fey of France and although nobody seems to happy with my efforts, I realised that my focus on the three Central and South American statues on Basin street always troubled me for not seeming very "France" connected, but then I noticed the name of one of the statues is Francisco. When we try look through the lense of each culture, we may discover a different set of clues for our consideration.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Urban Smurf posted:

[...]

I noticed that in the written clues that the word "the" was used quite extensively. I would surmise that Preiss was attempting to cut short the word "THEory" which is a shortening of "THEORY of relativity. This to me means that Preiss was subtly attempting to shift our focus on Albert Einstein. I would further postulate that Since Einstein died in New Jersey that the cask is in fact buried somewhere in NJ.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Tony Homo posted:

I noticed that in the written clues that the word "the" was used quite extensively. I would surmise that Preiss was attempting to cut short the word "THEory" which is a shortening of "THEORY of relativity. This to me means that Preiss was subtly attempting to shift our focus on Albert Einstein. I would further postulate that Since Einstein died in New Jersey that the cask is in fact buried somewhere in NJ.

If you think satire is the best way to solve this, more power to ya.

I once thought the Houston location had some connection to BSG...man was that stupidly indulgent.

Ben/Lemontiger/whiterabbit once expressed that the Houston location involved a dolphin (hidden image in the sanddune). Hey, if Mellville = whale, who knows where the rabbit hole will end up. At least he was thorough in explaining his thinking. *fistbump*

zimgr
Apr 12, 2010
Well, it rained all weekend, so we had to postpone the meet up.

However I do have some good news. Google Maps apparently decided to send someone around the park with one of those 360 cameras on a backpack a couple of years ago, but they waited to enable Street View on the island we've been looking at until earlier this month. With those new photos, I managed to grab that north-facing (well north enough without shrubbery obscuring it) shot of the central, three winged tree:

(This shot is just to the right of where one is supposed to stand to line up the branches. If one were to move to the left a little, the gap between the left trunk and middle trunk would shrink appropriately.)

Anyone else think it strongly resembles the three pillars in Image 08?

I'm pretty sure the cask is near the foot of the foremost, shortest branch, just like the jewel is placed at the foot of the foremost pillar.

The guy I'm supposed to be meeting up with also apparently has a connection with the Houston Parks Department, and they seem to think we shouldn't have a problem with digging. So that's looking up as well.

I hope to make it out there this weekend, if the other guy can make it. I'm tempted to go out and dig myself since we might be so close.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Man, this thread is 3 years old this week. Have we found anything?

I'd forgotten about xie, so I looked, and it's ten pages of posts leading up to a half year of "this weekend for sure," and then a year of silence.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=60034&perpage=40&pagenumber=10

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RNG posted:

Man, this thread is 3 years old this week. Have we found anything?

Of course not. There's nothing to find and you're all morons.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Of course not. There's nothing to find and you're all morons.

Following this thread is almost as confusing and discouraging as being a niners fan must be.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

RNG posted:

Man, this thread is 3 years old this week. Have we found anything?

I've just been holding out for a handjob from xie

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found them all. Why are you guys still looking?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TheChaosPath posted:

I've just been holding out for a handjob from xie
Finally, we find out how he broke his wrist

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Urban Smurf posted:

Ive been researching the Charleston puzzle quite a bit lately. The triangulate at WPG theory would seem the most sensible as far as several parts of the verse and image would apply, but nothing there answers some of the nagging questions that would be directed towards the specific reasons or inclinations that led Preiss/JJP to include other parts of verse/image.

In WPG stands the capstan of the USS Maine, which was sunk off the coast of Havana. Congress approved funds to raise the wreck in 1911 and in 1913 the capstan and a cannon from the ship were delivered to Charleston. Ine of the four panels on the monument contains the date it was recieved "May 1913". That would seem like a good connection, but it seems very weird in the context of everything else.that isnt easy to explain.

I keep asking myself "why is each line of verse important", or "what function does it serve to recognize a key location, reference, or direction towards the prize". When someone (I think it was a Charleston local named TJ) mentioned that a slave won the Charleston lottery and bought his freedom at the beginning of year 1800, I was very interested in learning more about the name Denmark Vesey. I bought a used book titled "Denmark Vesey and the Slave Conspiracy of 1822". It confirmed what Wikipedia had already reported and supplies other details specific to his origins, the discovery of his plot and his trial, in a format as if it was a collection of actual docume ts and news articles. Three or four things stood out that seemed useful to a theme or location.

1) Denmark Vesey was a carpenter and lived on Bull st.
2) His wife and other free blacks at the time emmigrated to Africa to the former settlement that became Liberia
3) He had been known by the name Telemaque when he was a young slave in the West Indies.
4) He is a significant figure in Black history, being an example among other uprisings like the Nat Turner Rebellion and his name was used as a battle cry for soldiers in the Civil War led by Frederick Douglas.

Keeping these historic facts in mind, I move to consider the reference to Edward Wilmot Blyden, whom had twin babies Edwin and Edwina named after him. This is according to the books Abroad in America (1976) and EWB Father of Pan-Africanism(1966, the source used by the Abroad book). This historic figure is the focal point for civil rights among African Americans shortly after the Civik War. He supported legislation to continue emmigration back to Africa. He was active in education and politics in Liberia and Sierra Leone. His connection to Charleston seems to be largely a secondary or indirect connection to the exodus of emancipated slaves from Charleston in 1878 to Liberia.

Why would Preiss begin the puzzle with hints of the book Treasure Island and then bring attention to these two historic figures which seem to have no real historic landmarks associated with them in Charleston? There is no question that the puzzle has an African theme, but I dont understand why the capstan of the USS Maine is of any significance when we have a justifiable theme that includes these men of black history.

When I research Liberia, the President William Tolbert was discovered to be born on May 13th, 1913. Theres something special about these historic names and what they represent to the puzzle. A slave named Telemaque/Denmark Vesey, the father of Pan-Africanism and twin babies named after him, and a President of a country in Africa that owes its founding to the history of Charleston.

Just this amount of research seems to barely scratch the surface of the puzzle.

I think you're overanalyzing. Every line points to a detail of white point gardens; the capstan is just a neat historical detail present in the park. Pirates were hung at white point gardens, hence the pirate references, and slaves were sold there. The two arms of each Statue give the triangulation point for the dig. With a laser pointer and some time you could point to the right dig spot within inches, but as with the others, digging there is wildly illegal.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

zimgr posted:

Houston poo poo

Just chiming in to say awesome, go for it, and dig. But don't find it yet because I want to dig in Houston when I move there later this summer. :niggly:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think you're overanalyzing. Every line points to a detail of white point gardens; the capstan is just a neat historical detail present in the park. Pirates were hung at white point gardens, hence the pirate references, and slaves were sold there. The two arms of each Statue give the triangulation point for the dig. With a laser pointer and some time you could point to the right dig spot within inches, but as with the others, digging there is wildly illegal.

WPG fits in a substantial way as long as you can show how clear thinking would produce the lines in the verse. I get how it is a sensible and significant location to the viscinity of Charleston and Fort Sumter to the south. I like how central it is to Charleston's history relating to pirates and slavery. You say I'm overanalyzing but I'm just trying to be careful to address the topical points so that it makes some sense when we get to synthesis. What Im expressing are doubts. Whether we like WPG, or Sullivans or Cape Romaine, there are still doubts to test the sanity of our theory.

How does it make sense to WPG to say "Edwin and Edwina named after him"? This line seems to strongly support a theory that deals with Edward Wilmot Blyden. So far as I recall people think this is a generality since Abroad in America quotes Blyden's passage through Charleston and the excitement to hear news of relatives back in Africa. It seems unnecessary and cryptic to have such a reference if we are exploring a focus on WPG.

I think most people working on the Secret too often ignore the cultural connections and might be missing a very simple and workable motif. I think its important to understand an African/Diamond theme. Remember diamond is the April birthstone. Cross referencing historic events for that month as they relate to Africa or slavery seems like a good start. Fort Sumter was bombarded on April 12th, 1861. Lincoln was assassinated April 15th, 1865. William Tolbert (born on May 13th, 1913) was killed in a coup d'etat on April 12th, 1980. "On the eighth a scene" seems like it best points to the date April 8th. I found the published news article that says Andrew Johnson (lighhouse keeper, not to be confused with Lincoln's "closest at hand" VP Andrew Johnson) found his wife dead on April 8th, which became the source perpetuating the ghost story about a haunted lighthouse in Charleston.

I dont like the vagueness of the verses. It is difficult to have confidence in any theory. Overanalysis isnt the problem, its the opposition to specificity that we face. People tend to want it both ways or sweep some facts under the rug when any doubts might be raised to counter their pet theory. There's still no telling what was going on under Preiss' dome, but one thing feels certain, that is he wouldnt write something if it was superfluous to what we need in determining where to look for a casque.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 19, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Urban Smurf posted:

How does it make sense to WPG to say "Edwin and Edwina named after him"? This line seems to strongly support a theory that deals with Edward Wilmot Blyden. So far as I recall people think this is a generality since Abroad in America quotes Blyden's passage through Charleston and the excitement to hear news of relatives back in Africa. It seems unnecessary and cryptic to have such a reference if we are exploring a focus on WPG.

It is unnecessarily cryptic. But, as I see it, that seems to be Preiss's general MO: have some landmarks and quotes about the city, and some landmarks and quotes about the park itself. He did that with the water tower in Chicago and the terminal tower of Cleveland, which are miles away from the dig site.

Yes, it is bizarre to include a reference to some guy that charleston loved in the passage specifically talking about White oint Gardens. However, in my opinion, it's infinitely much more likely to that Preiss simply made an imprecise clue in order to link the city with the African theme, than it is likely that every single other match is just coincidence because one clue points to the city rather than the specific park.

One thing that struck me, recently, is that the gem in this one seems to be painted in the corner as an afterthough. It is easy enough to work a diamond into the picture somehow, so why is it off in a corner?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 19, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Chicago. Someone on the pbworks page claims that "Jackson" is faintly spelled out "in step-like fashion above the post." Can anyone see that? Because that would be a neat clue that there might be super-faint super-big hints on the remaining pictures (behind the fencepost where the casque was is a staircase leading to Jackson Avenue)

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4