Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

This is a slaughtermap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone recommend WADs for just chill casual play? I'm thinking maps that are short and sweet and aren't too enemy dense. Something like the stock Doom 1/2 campaigns in terms of map complexity. I've already played Doom The Way id Did (and D2TWID) and Scythe. What else is there?

I really liked Needs More Detail for Doom 1.

http://www.wad-archive.com/wad/The-Ultimate-NMD

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

loga mira posted:

I put my Quake guns mod up on MODBB, hopefully in the right category because its confusing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alternative-gun-models-for-quake

Small fixes and adjustments, detailed world models, Doom plasma gun for Armagon, optional Quake-style super nailgun, different thunderbolt, Daikatana skull staff also an option. No video but I put some screens on there, and made a collage of world models

textures are extra misaligned here because the mdl importer puts uv coordinates at random pixel corners instead of keeping them centered, only noticed that after making the image.

Installation is mostly the same I thnk. I remade the muzzle flares on nailguns so they now look good or better in DP/S8 than in Spasm/Fitz.

:stwoon: those are INCREDIBLE. Holy poo poo. I can't pick any favourite, but I think the thunderbolt which looks like some insane contraption takes the cake, Super Nailgun is a close second. Always though that id kinda skimped on the looks of the hud weapons and made them look like assembled boxes and tubes.

I present to you: Holy Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZn5yaVuB1Y

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

And here's a slaughtermap done with Fast Monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJUI1sn9Mj4
(This persons entire channels is slaughtermaps TAS'd - check it out)

In all seriousness, 'slaughtermap' tends to refer to a level with 1000+ enemies where you will be spending most of your time with your finger glued to the rocket and BFG triggers. Ancient Aliens is the opposite of that - it's an incredibly intense series of ambushes and traps with very limited resources that force you to keep moving and think fast to survive against relatively small numbers of enemies.

In all seriousness, there's no shame in bumping AA down to Easy or even Very Easy modes if you're not a TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD. I've been playing the game pretty consistently for the past 22 years and UV on these maps still rocks my face.

Almost all of Sunder and a good chunk of Sunlust are slaughtermaps.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

laserghost posted:

:stwoon: those are INCREDIBLE. Holy poo poo. I can't pick any favourite, but I think the thunderbolt which looks like some insane contraption takes the cake, Super Nailgun is a close second.

Thanks! And thanks for reminding me to finish this stuff.

Arcane Dimensions is amazing. There's this one mapper, or maybe it's a mapping style, whose maps remind me of Ico and SoTC, they're very open and airy yet still somehow guide you forward. Awesome atmosphere. I put up a temporary fix for my thing, when the next AD update drops I'll see where it goes and tweak things more.

loga mira fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 9, 2016

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone recommend WADs for just chill casual play? I'm thinking maps that are short and sweet and aren't too enemy dense. Something like the stock Doom 1/2 campaigns in terms of map complexity. I've already played Doom The Way id Did (and D2TWID) and Scythe. What else is there?

Coffee Break is pretty fun and chill, some of the levels are pretty monster-packed but the levels are all pretty short and I don't recall them being *too* hard -

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/cafebrk1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chaingunners should be banned from maps forever.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Strange Aeons for sure. Good campaign, 5 episodes, but nothing hugely rough. Roughly on par with the original Doom/D2 in terms of difficulty and enemy density, although much more modern in style overall.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dominic White posted:

Speaking of Sunder, I was replaying that recently, and, drat, I forgot just how insanely pretty it is. Map 14, in particular, is a masterpiece.

Mak0rz posted:

My go-to chill Wad is Pirate Doom, which is relatively easy until you get to the final few maps and has a lot of neat gimmicks. Requires GZDoom though.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

loga mira posted:

I put my Quake guns mod up on MODBB, hopefully in the right category because its confusing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alternative-gun-models-for-quake

Small fixes and adjustments, detailed world models, Doom plasma gun for Armagon, optional Quake-style super nailgun, different thunderbolt, Daikatana skull staff also an option. No video but I put some screens on there, and made a collage of world models

textures are extra misaligned here because the mdl importer puts uv coordinates at random pixel corners instead of keeping them centered, only noticed that after making the image.

Installation is mostly the same I thnk. I remade the muzzle flares on nailguns so they now look good or better in DP/S8 than in Spasm/Fitz.

That is sexy as hell :D

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Jesus wept, I must not be as good at doom as I thought. Ancient Aliens is kicking my rear end!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mak0rz posted:

I'm playing Whispers of Satan and so far it's a lot like original Doom in its map design.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Chaingunners should be banned from maps forever.

Word.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Shotgunners are legit the deadliest enemies in the game

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jia posted:

Shotgunners are legit the deadliest enemies in the game

Really? You're saying that in a game with Chaingunners?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chaingunners can often only get a hit or two on you before you find cover, in reasonable usage; shotgunners do an absurd amount of damage all at once. It's the difference between burst and ramp-up.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Shotgunners can easily take you by surprise. I tend to prioritise them first aside from Arch Viles, especially in close quarters. I don't even think of using the berserk fist on them, just too risky.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwlwVezP-E

this brings back good memories :shobon:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel blessed for never having played any chaingunner_firing_squad.wads. My most hated enemy is still easily the Archvile, with the Arachnatron in a far second place.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

That one's only 10,000 enemies

This one's over 40,000 enemies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KxAwo23dgU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

loga mira posted:

Arcane Dimensions is amazing. There's this one mapper, or maybe it's a mapping style, whose maps remind me of Ico and SoTC, they're very open and airy yet still somehow guide you forward. Awesome atmosphere. I put up a temporary fix for my thing, when the next AD update drops I'll see where it goes and tweak things more.

Whoo! Thanks for the fix.

Arcane Dimensions really is amazing. I hope this becomes the foundation for almost all Quake mods going forward. The sheer range of features/weapons/enemies/textures is a perfect expansion in almost every direction.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Overload a.k.a. The Sequel To Descent By People Who Made Original Descent had an update on Kickstarter today. Most of the update is quite boring, if informative, but one thing made me happy - Allister Brimble is now officially making the soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uN6okempo

vvv you bet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il6MMFbgoQQ

laserghost fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 9, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alister Brimble, you say? Sounds fun.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat, I'd love a new Day of Defeat.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Awesome Welles posted:

That would require Valve to make a new game, so...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Are there any Doom/Zdoom mods that scale up enemy health/speed/numbers/etc dynamically for co-op? Serious Sam had a great feature where you could set enemies to gain X% extra health per new player, which went a long way to preventing teams from just chewing through everything in moments.

That'd be really great for running a co-op server with an unknown number of players.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Awesome Welles posted:

i would rather have a DoD 1.3 revival than a new DoD, honestly. for me, goldsrc-based games always handled so much better than their source counterparts, which is why i never got into DoD:S or CS:S outside of the occasional scrim or pickup game.

RIP immortal6 :smith:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

fishmech posted:

That one's only 10,000 enemies

This one's over 40,000 enemies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KxAwo23dgU
I had to grab that WAD just so I could pull the music out of it. Does anyone know of any non-slaughtermap WADs with music by the same creator? I would love to play some Doom while listening to similar music.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

online friend posted:

i would rather have a DoD 1.3 revival than a new DoD, honestly. for me, goldsrc-based games always handled so much better than their source counterparts, which is why i never got into DoD:S or CS:S outside of the occasional scrim or pickup game.

RIP immortal6 :smith:
I agree. I really miss the version of DoD before they went retail, 3.1b I think? I've been running a 1.3 server for the past four years until people finally stopped joining. You can still find some dads playing DoD 1.3 on weekends, though. :gbsmith:

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 9, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dominic White posted:

Are there any Doom/Zdoom mods that scale up enemy health/speed/numbers/etc dynamically for co-op? Serious Sam had a great feature where you could set enemies to gain X% extra health per new player, which went a long way to preventing teams from just chewing through everything in moments.

That'd be really great for running a co-op server with an unknown number of players.

You could try Maps of Chaos:http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii

Ignore the Brutal Doom heading. You don't have to use that. They can be run with any other mods. It adds more enemies and sections to the original Doom/Doom 2 campaigns.

You could also try Custom Doom: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51446

This lets you tweak player damage from an in game menu. Haven't actually used it yet though. Sounds like something that could be used for co-op.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

gullah jack posted:

I agree. I really miss the version of DoD before they went retail, 3.1b I think? I've been running a 1.3 server for the past four years until people finally stopped joining. You can still find some dads playing DoD 1.3 on weekends, though. :gbsmith:

i played on a team with a literal 50 year old dude when i first started out playing DoD and he was actually pretty good at the game in competitive? this was probably back in 2005 or so

it was weird, but sometimes i wonder what happened to him and if he's still playing, getting mad at pubbies with rocket launchers :unsmith:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

You could also try Custom Doom: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51446

This lets you tweak player damage from an in game menu. Haven't actually used it yet though. Sounds like something that could be used for co-op.

It's not automatic, but that's just about exactly what I need. Thanks!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wow, map 08 of Ancient Aliens is quite a step-up in terms of difficulty.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Hello I made a quick thing for Ultimate Doom in two days. It replaces E3M1 and supports all difficulty levels. I tested it with Doom.exe and Chocolate Doom so it should work with anything.

D o w n l o a d H e r e

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Dominic White posted:

And here's a slaughtermap done with Fast Monsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJUI1sn9Mj4
(This persons entire channels is slaughtermaps TAS'd - check it out)

In all seriousness, 'slaughtermap' tends to refer to a level with 1000+ enemies where you will be spending most of your time with your finger glued to the rocket and BFG triggers. Ancient Aliens is the opposite of that - it's an incredibly intense series of ambushes and traps with very limited resources that force you to keep moving and think fast to survive against relatively small numbers of enemies.

In all seriousness, there's no shame in bumping AA down to Easy or even Very Easy modes if you're not a TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD. I've been playing the game pretty consistently for the past 22 years and UV on these maps still rocks my face.

Well AV and HR's later maps are also slaughtermaps, the latter having invented the style. The "newschool slaughter" style epitomized by Sunder is the most dramatic but smaller scale maps can still qualify.

Personally AV map26 on skill 2 is all the slaughter I can stomach. For the most part I can't get into modern Doom pwads, they just get on my nerves after a while and I just want things to slow the gently caress down already. I prefer to play cautiously and methodically, which is why I play so much Wolfenstein. It can be devilishly hard but it's more about patience, observation, and planning than dexterity and endurance.

BTW I'm willing to take suggestions if anyone wants to see a Wolf3D mod converted to ECWolf. I am limited by the feature set ECWolf can implement so while I'd love to be able to port, say, Spear Resurrection, I can't.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 10, 2016

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

online friend posted:

i played on a team with a literal 50 year old dude when i first started out playing DoD and he was actually pretty good at the game in competitive? this was probably back in 2005 or so

it was weird, but sometimes i wonder what happened to him and if he's still playing, getting mad at pubbies with rocket launchers :unsmith:
DoD's surviving community is entirely dads and old men, so there's a good chance he's still playing Caen 24/7 and getting mad at pubbies, god bless him.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I consider a slaughtermap to be any map where you can drop a yamato cannon or planet splitter or hindenburg on in Russian Overkill and not even dent 20% of the map population in.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

gullah jack posted:

DoD's surviving community is entirely dads and old men, so there's a good chance he's still playing Caen 24/7 and getting mad at pubbies, god bless him.

i've been banned from like all of the active servers except neogod because everyone thinks i cheat :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thanks for the recommendation everyone. Playing through Needs More Detail now to get the D1 wad out of the way first and so far it's pretty good! I think they captured Doom 1's charm quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Try Wonderful Doom too, it's like a cousin to Needs More Detail.