Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I was eating non-ex booms from guile at mid-screen when I could have sworn I was blocking them. I just turned off all v-sync completely.

Doubt I'd want to play this game on PS4. A lot of people were really amazed at how much more responsive Xrd was on PC, and that wasn't as close as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

I think that 8 frames can maybe make the difference between reacting to a move fast enough to block it when walking forward and eating it for no good reason? Maybe?

It kinda does, yeah. I know I eat a lot less stuff on neutral playing any GGPO game, SF4, even Melty Blood Bad Netcode Edition than I do in SFV. It also makes for a worse ranked experience because people will do whatever the gently caress and it will WORK because you can't really react to it (and you can't really predict stuff in a FT1 set). It reminds me of playing SF4 casuals on a big-rear end TV in a tournament I went to. A friend of mine just did random neckbreakers with Ibuki and I couldn't block on time, because that poo poo had HORRENDOUS input lag. I knew they were coming, but I couldn't react to them on 11f lag. Well, I could, but I wouldn't block on time.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

A.o.D. posted:

I think that 8 frames can maybe make the difference between reacting to a move fast enough to block it when walking forward and eating it for no good reason? Maybe?

absolutely. it also means that when you see an overhead and look at frame data and think its fair, subtract eight from the startup and see if that number is fair too

also, fight me in MSH. don't duck me

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A.o.D. posted:

Definitely. It's like playing the game over a laggy connection even when you're offline.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Zand posted:

absolutely. it also means that when you see an overhead and look at frame data and think its fair, subtract eight from the startup and see if that number is fair too

also, fight me in MSH. don't duck me

I don't know how. Also I haven't played MSH in over 17 years.

edit: You know, in some ways, the input delay turns reacting to Ryu's 16 frame dash into trying to react to an 8 frame dash. No wonder people get away with so much bullshit with the top tier characters. The window to deal with the nonsense is so very small.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sometimes I'll try to play and then I can't jab out dash up throw and I go back to not caring

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
To be honest, I was super surprised that Other Ocean was able to fix the input lag in Ultra on PS4. Not holding out hope for this one though, even if the top players start complaining about it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is this why all my aa's trade or get beaten? i thought i just sucked

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

is this why all my aa's trade or get beaten? i thought i just sucked

It's also why links feel so loving weird

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pomp posted:

It's also why links feel so loving weird

they do feel pretty weird but i thought that's just the way they are since i only played chain combo games prior to sfv

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

CrashTestVictim posted:

I know isn't a deluge of FANG info floating around but does anyone know what the frame data is on FANG's cr.HK (crush and non) xx V-trigger is? I'm having some issues comboing out of it sometimes compared to df.HP xx V-trigger. How do I even calculate advantage on V-Trigger cancels?

+6 +8. Links into cr.mp normally or standing HP on counter hit.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What got people talking about 8 F R A M E S at Dreamhack? Did pro players finally complain about it or something?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Booyah- posted:

What got people talking about 8 F R A M E S at Dreamhack? Did pro players finally complain about it or something?

I wanna say it was Snake getting taken out

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Booyah- posted:

Surprisingly few have brought it up, but it clearly is affecting the viable playstyles in the game. Characters with the best and most practical knockdown mixups(Ken, ryu, mika) and runaway playstyles like nash are doing the best, makes complete sense to me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

Surprisingly few have brought it up

I wonder why people who have a vested interest in the game's success have not mentioned a humongous flaw in the game

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

I wonder why people who have a vested interest in the game's success have not mentioned a humongous flaw in the game

uhhh if you remember the logic from this thread and the last previously that doesnt make any sense. so, no...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

AnonSpore posted:

Pro gamers are historically not great at keeping their opinions to themselves. It takes a lot to believe that there's suddenly a concerted (and successful!) secret agreement to hype up SF5 among top players. And nobody trot out the ol' "Capcom paid them off" argument because Capcom has no fuckin' money, they couldn't take EVO Top 8 out to Sizzler without asking Sony to cover the tip.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Max is starting to talk about it on twitter, but he's the only one of the big names who has mentioned this so far... actually maybe not according to earlier in the thread.

Don't worry about that though, here buy this lovely gamer chair.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 9, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sarchasm posted:

Pro gamers are historically not great at keeping their opinions to themselves. It takes a lot to believe that there's suddenly a concerted (and successful!) secret agreement to hype up SF5 among top players. And nobody trot out the ol' "Capcom paid them off" argument because Capcom has no fuckin' money, they couldn't take EVO Top 8 out to Sizzler without asking Sony to cover the tip.

Yeah remember all the critical opinions about SFxT before that game came out and it was a flaming shitpile like everyone knew it would be and the money around it dried up? I sure do

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah remember all the critical opinions about SFxT before that game came out and it was a flaming shitpile like everyone knew it would be and the money around it dried up? I sure do

I'm willing to chalk that up to optimism. It was Tekken and Street Fighter, everyone wanted it to be good despite the evidence to the contrary. I mean, maybe I'm wrong! Maybe the number one topic in the Discord Illuminati is how to swallow your hatred and somehow pretend to like SF5, but in my experience that kind of conspiracy theory is always the longshot. The simplest explanation is that the disparate and unaffiliated people who say they like SF5 probably just like SF5.

Now if you want to talk to me about how Justin Wong is holding back the combustion engine that runs on water, that's a possibility I'll entertain.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarchasm posted:

I'm willing to chalk that up to optimism. It was Tekken and Street Fighter, everyone wanted it to be good despite the evidence to the contrary. I mean, maybe I'm wrong! Maybe the number one topic in the Discord Illuminati is how to swallow your hatred and somehow pretend to like SF5, but in my experience that kind of conspiracy theory is always the longshot. The simplest explanation is that the disparate and unaffiliated people who say they like SF5 probably just like SF5.

Now if you want to talk to me about how Justin Wong is holding back the combustion engine that runs on water, that's a possibility I'll entertain.

i bring the hot discord illuminati leaks capcom doesn't want you to see

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Optimism about how much money they were gonna make heyooo

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Any tips beating Karin as Guile? If I make too many mistakes in that matchups I eat big, stun-heavy combos.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dhamster posted:

Any tips beating Karin as Guile? If I make too many mistakes in that matchups I eat big, stun-heavy combos.

That's a karin problem, not a guile problem.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Sarchasm posted:

The simplest explanation is that the disparate and unaffiliated people who say they like SF5 probably just like SF5.

this is correct and its proof that we are living in the nadir of fighting games. what a shocker that people accepting a poo poo game like sf4 and the dumb players that came with it eventually led to an even shittier game and dumber community

WHO could have predicted this? like anyone who could see something like this coming is probably a genius or something idk.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I'm not a genius zand but thanks for the compliment, i'm just excessively cleverer than most

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I have been playing and been awful at FGs for years (like over a decade) and would like to not be a dumb poo poo player anymore.

I recognize that SF5 has some serious flaws, but I still find enjoyment playing the game. Do I just abandon this dumb poo poo game, while there is a scene of local players gathering at Arcade UFO weekly that I could be grinding/having fun with to get better? My secret desire is that we all just played kof98 instead, because I find that game way more interesting than anything currently being played.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Zand posted:

this is correct and its proof that we are living in the nadir of fighting games. what a shocker that people accepting a poo poo game like sf4 and the dumb players that came with it eventually led to an even shittier game and dumber community

If it makes you feel any better I suspect that people are going to have a hard swing on SF5 in the coming months in response to input lag and netcode issues. Assuming those aren't fixed, of course. They won't be fixed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*trying my hardest to convince myself* KOFXIV is gonna set the world on fire

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I believe

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

me too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZxiI7A5Sxk

i posted this in the fgc stream thread but it's interesting to see infiltration talk about the korean scene

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

In Training posted:

If you mean like the Cleveland River, sure, I'll buy that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

*plays sf4 for 5+ years* why does kof14 look so ugly

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Colorspray posted:

I have been playing and been awful at FGs for years (like over a decade) and would like to not be a dumb poo poo player anymore.

I recognize that SF5 has some serious flaws, but I still find enjoyment playing the game. Do I just abandon this dumb poo poo game, while there is a scene of local players gathering at Arcade UFO weekly that I could be grinding/having fun with to get better? My secret desire is that we all just played kof98 instead, because I find that game way more interesting than anything currently being played.
keep playing it if you like it. unfortunately i heard all the good players stopped going to ufo and that it's only sf5 players that suck at everything but sf5 and also sf5 though. you can get decent enough at some fundamentals in sf5 and fundamentals tend to be transferable across games within the genre. the best thing sf5 has to offer the community is introducing new players to the genre and potentially being so bad that basically anything else looks great in comparison. if people like sf5 they probably maybe might like fgs in general. so if you like people from your group try to get them to play 98 with you on fightcade and see if you can play offline as well.

but having a crew to play with in basically any game is best even if it's a poo poo game like sf5. but sf5 probably won't hold your collective attention for long

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Colorspray posted:

most of the good players stopped going to ufo from what i heard, but if you're really bad and like sf5 then you'll find the biggest range of people to level up with

i think you will get better fastest if you have a rival around your level as well as people who are way better than you to consistently play with, so if you can find that in a game you love then great

if not then sf5 isn't the worst thing in the world

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Colorspray posted:

Keep playing it since it's fun. It's also the latest Street Fighter, and thus will continue to be the most played FG by the competitive scene in years to come.

I don't know if Capcom will continue to support and add to this game with the abysmal sales though. I wouldn't be surprised if Urien is the last new character we'll see for this game. CPT and Evo can bring in some new people, but eh. They can't even make easy money right now with their lovely shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like this game and wish it hadn't flopped. I can't hang with these Silver league peeps.