Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Shnooks posted:

I've been wanting to buy a WiiU, but some friends have been telling me to wait until the NX comes out. Of course nobody can really tell me when that is, and I really want to play Pikmin right now. Should I just go and get the WiiU?

It comes out March 2017 and likely won't play WiiU games. If you can find it cheap and have interest in playing anything else, then buy it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shnooks posted:

I've been wanting to buy a WiiU, but some friends have been telling me to wait until the NX comes out. Of course nobody can really tell me when that is, and I really want to play Pikmin right now. Should I just go and get the WiiU?

The NX doesn't come out for another year and may or may not have backwards-compatibility. You want to play Pikmin now. So, yes, get a Wii U. Then pick up the other fun and good games for the system. There are a lot of them.

Especially Splatoon. Buy Splatoon.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The Wii U thread agrees: The Wii U is good.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Slur posted:

I dunno; a PC release would probably give it more longevity.

We should add voice chat to it, too.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

If Spla2n has voice chat I will not buy it

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I consider the lack of voice chat in Wii U games to be a feature.
It's one of those things that seemed like it would be awesome before we had it, but then it came along and we realized that humanity doesn't deserve that.

Shnooks posted:

Your friends are fuckers and you shouldn't listen to them.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Oh humanity definitely deserves voice chat but I'm sly and try to slip away from that capital punishment myself

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

majormonotone posted:

You mean Spl@oon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

The Wii U thread agrees: The Wii U is good.

This

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

raditts posted:

It's one of those things that seemed like it would be awesome before we had it, but then it came along and we realized that humanity doesn't deserve that.

I love not having voice chat. The funniest story caused by that was the guy who wanted to trash talk someone, so he had to send him a friend request.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What Splatoon really needs are prestige levels.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I would rather have voice chat, but with the option to disable it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

What Splatoon really really needs is regional matchmaking. no way I'm buying a sequel without that.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Evil Eagle posted:

What Splatoon really really needs is regional matchmaking. no way I'm buying a sequel without that.

So you can play with the 5 other guys in your region who has the game and internet connections so bad they'll disconnect 8 seconds into a match? No thanks

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
They could still do miiverse and etc by including a WiiU game pad with the NX, along with whatever you nerds think the NX controller will be

I mean, as if they're going to switch away from the game pad, that thing is golden

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BillmasterCozb posted:

whatever you nerds think the NX controller will be

Telepathy

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its going to be the nintendo gamecube controller

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

The collective denial in this thread of Nintendo's insanely win gameplay and peripheral innovations makes me embarassed to call myself a gamer.

it's like two people

Shnooks posted:

if you want to play wii u games then buy a wii u

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have seen it and it's this, but reports say it's not perfect and keeps confusing actions like "jump" with other strange, possibly erotic, acts. The technology will be there by the time the NX Mindreader Plus is out; there will be an attachment for older controllers.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I would rather have voice chat, but with the option to disable it

Just have a party chat system and no in game chat, voice chatting with randoms has literally never been good ever

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Shnooks posted:

The nice thing about buying your new Pikmin machine is that you can buy the rerelease of 1 and 2 that came out for the Wii and play them alongside 3. Also Pikmin 3 on the gamepad alone is pretty fun.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I think the Wiimote is still the superior controller for Pikmin games.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looper posted:

it's like two people

Two can be a collective.

EDIT: Animal Collective only has 4 people

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Does nobody remember that official "tie a Wiimote to the Pro Controller" setup? It's even shown in the game.

The Sunken Scrolls are actually the blueprints for the future of Nintendo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Spellman posted:

The Sunken Scrolls are actually the blueprints for the future of Nintendo

The NX is cryotechnology so that you can freeze your own cat in hopes that they get to become a referee of sports 1000s of years from now when humans have gone extinct and our replacements discover the NX cryotubes still functioning, albeit mortared to hell and back

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Rexroom posted:

I think the Wiimote is still the superior controller for Pikmin games.

DK Bongos or bust

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

greatn posted:

Huh, in homebrew there is apparently an option for DS to upscale the games to twice the resolution. This is built into Nintendo's emulator and is an option that the end user just doesn't have access to. I wonder why the hell not.

Please understand.

raditts posted:

Your friends are fuckers and you shouldn't listen to them.

It's not a feature though, it's a lack of one. Most of the time when I game online, I play with friends and use party chat. When we play on the Wii U, it's a lot less personal unless we use a service on another device to talk. Other companies have had voice chat for multiple generations now. Just have talking to other players off by default and the switch option locked behind parental controls. It's stupid that the gamepad has a mic built into it and the best use Nintendo has for it is blowing at it.

majormonotone posted:

If the NX doesn't have some kind of voice chat option with friends, I will heavily consider not buying it.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 9, 2016

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spacebump posted:

If the NX doesn't have some kind of voice chat option with friends, I will heavily consider not buying it.

Even implying you won't buy a Nintendo console should be a bannable offense

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If you wanna voice chat so bad, use your handheld telephone device.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Slur posted:

I dunno; a PC release would probably give it more longevity.

It worked for Devil's Third. :thumbsup:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Shnooks posted:

Honestly I'd wait on more NX info at this point. If you've held off on Pikmin this long you can wait a bit longer. If it's backwards compatible then just go for that and I'm sure there will be better deals coming up soon either way. At this point you be paying a premium that probably won't exist in a few months.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Takoluka posted:

If you wanna voice chat so bad, use your handheld telephone device.

:yeah:

Generally I game to chill. Party chat is not chill.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
Ingame voice chat always sounds like complete garbage compared to just using other services though like thats what I dont get

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

WadeBartender posted:

Ingame voice chat always sounds like complete garbage compared to just using other services though like thats what I dont get

It's a lot more convenient to have it work through the game itself

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

greatn posted:

Huh, in homebrew there is apparently an option for DS to upscale the games to twice the resolution. This is built into Nintendo's emulator and is an option that the end user just doesn't have access to. I wonder why the hell not.

Presumably because it's not properly tested and is a remnant of an internal devtool/idea.

Of course, the VC version of DK64 runs at 60fps and also has almost one second of input lag, so who loving knows what's acceptable any more?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't know why they bothered releasing the Punch-Out games on VC when the input lag makes it pretty much impossible to win after a certain point.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The NX is a supercomputer you can link yourself to and join the Nintendo Hivemind, at least until the vengeful AI ghost of Iwata takes over the system

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DoctorWhat posted:

Presumably because it's not properly tested and is a remnant of an internal devtool/idea.

Of course, the VC version of DK64 runs at 60fps and also has almost one second of input lag, so who loving knows what's acceptable any more?

Scientists will never be able to properly emulate/understand DK64. It was created through the use of dark magic where it was less expensive to ship it with an required piece of extra hardware than it was to find out why it was crashing and fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I agree, quit loving around and introduce Morton Koopa Sr. already.

Morton "Bowser" Koopa, one and done

• Locked thread