Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i dont even know where central mastery points come from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Anyone find an effective method for grinding central tyria exp? Obviously doing a bit of everything will get it, but is exp weighted heavily to any particular category? Heard fractals kind of stunk for it and I want to get autoloot.

Fractals.

Dreggon posted:

i dont even know where central mastery points come from

Me neither but I had plenty so I'm going to assume that you get them from shitposting.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I think they're almost entirely from achievements.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

That guy's still around? Christ.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Personal and living story are easy mastery points. Fractals have a bunch at varying difficulties. Triple Trouble gives you a point for each head, and I think one more for being in a winning instance. Not sure what other ones are worth actively chasing down.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Why don't any GOON guilds have one of these yet

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Why don't any GOON guilds have one of these yet

We have hundreds, we just don't log in all the time

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fuzzy Butt posted:

Going to have to call it a tie for now. Actually, I never thought I'd be able to take 5 seconds off my original 1:03. Good fun, thanks for the push. :wave:

Indeed, good sir goon gentleman, you were a worthy rival and it was an honor to battl-

*smells weakness* GRAAWWWRRRPFT MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

this game actually tracks these scores with significant digits beyond Seconds, but it gets truncated for the leaderboard. So your last time posted was better than mine by about a half second

Video of the adjustments I made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyIWRVOCw-c

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Pesterchum posted:

To play with goons in World vs. World, yes, you would need to be on Maguuma. For everything else: Running around the world, dungeons, fractals, raids, whatever it doesn't matter what server you're on. I don't know how much gems/money it costs to transfer servers nowdays but keep it in mind before you make a choice.

Are they combining servers on WvW now? I was running around the borderlands for a bit before I realized I was in the Maguuuma Citidel and I'm on the DR server.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Geshtal posted:

Are they combining servers on WvW now? I was running around the borderlands for a bit before I realized I was in the Maguuuma Citidel and I'm on the DR server.

Yeah that's a new thing that's happening. It's really weird, because we've had WvW commanders fighting against their own guilds on map and it goes about as good as any conflict of interest would go.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Out of curiosity of how good gathering was now that prices have settled a bit, I burned a gathering booster that I had and hit all of the rich nodes that I could remember. In total I had 9.76g worth of harvested items after tax not including loot/gems/bags that I got from mobs or harvesting bonuses. Call it 10g in just under half an hour. Not bad. Certainly not worth buying the booster with gems but I would imagine that you could get 15g/hour with the guild and banner buff alone (I only had the guild and booster buff because I couldn't find a banner).

On the other hand, this is an insane income for new players who aren't 80 or can't do high-level fractals.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Is Edge of the Mists worth doing for WvW reward track or should I switch to Maguuma and join in on WvWednesday's?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

Is Edge of the Mists worth doing for WvW reward track or should I switch to Maguuma and join in on WvWednesday's?

Do both imo

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I made an inspirational video for my raid group. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwHGx79MZCs

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
:chloe:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're actually ruining that movie/scene for me with that video, please stop.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Big hearty thanks to Mizuti, Fuzzy, Skaazi, Dr Coathanger and my snubbly wubbly Don Vincenzo for making this a reality. :3:

You guys are the best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Big hearty thanks to Mizuti, Fuzzy, Skaazi, Dr Coathanger and my snubbly wubbly Don Vincenzo for making this a reality. :3:

You guys are the best.

Congrats! Those are all cool people :)

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

So as a returning player who never hit cap at launch, am I right in assuming that I should get 80 and gear a character before engaging in things that aren't open world PVE? There's a ton of stuff to do so far, and map completion is chill and fun, but it's really tempting to try wvw/pvp modes. I definitely want to get into those, but I don't want to be dead weight.

Also I just have to say I love action camera so much

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011

eggrolled posted:

So as a returning player who never hit cap at launch, am I right in assuming that I should get 80 and gear a character before engaging in things that aren't open world PVE? There's a ton of stuff to do so far, and map completion is chill and fun, but it's really tempting to try wvw/pvp modes. I definitely want to get into those, but I don't want to be dead weight.

if you really wanna try SPvP go for it. Stats are pre-set for every class and gear makes no difference. You get all the skills unlocked and if you have HoT you even have the elite spec fully unlocked. As for WvW, I believe you still get scaled up to 80 but gear makes a big difference here. Also you wont have your class fully unlocked unlike SPvP

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Thanks for giving a run down on those. It's nice to have options!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
SPvP is really fun, especially as a Thief, Necromancer, and Mesmer. The Moa pisses me off to no end, so use that.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Do whatever you want. The only exceptions would be dungeons where you don't get scaled up and would die instantly or fractals where you need agony resistance. WvW isn't a competitive mode and there's no PvP season atm so nobody has any reason to complain about you being new.

Aug 24, 2011

the dreggon guide to pvp

1. no matter what you do, you're going to be terrible. accept it and keep going, and maybe you'll win. i'm actually bad at pvp but nobody knows this because they think i'm good
2. if you can't play a class, butcher your build until you can. i can't play thief for peanuts, so i made a bunker thief build which is still garbage and can't kill anything (i.e. no change), but i don't die immediately
3. how do i play necro? i can't figure it out so i turned mine into a bunker and it sorta works
4. mesmers are assholes
5. don't vote for spirit watch

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

Dreggon posted:

the dreggon guide to pvp

1. no matter what you do, you're going to be terrible. accept it and keep going, and maybe you'll win. i'm actually bad at pvp but nobody knows this because they think i'm good
2. if you can't play a class, butcher your build until you can. i can't play thief for peanuts, so i made a bunker thief build which is still garbage and can't kill anything (i.e. no change), but i don't die immediately
3. how do i play necro? i can't figure it out so i turned mine into a bunker and it sorta works
4. mesmers are assholes
5. don't vote for spirit watch

Most of this is solid advice, but after the changes Spirit Watch is actually a decent map now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
How to play necro, in six easy steps.
1. F1
2. 5
3. 4
4. 3.
5. F
6. /s lol

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
How to play mesmer, in three steps.
1. Put your cat on the keyboard, bind every button to moa if you have't already.
2. Drink and watch your victory unfold.
3. Report verbal abuse, congratulate cat.

Waci fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 9, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're actually ruining that movie/scene for me with that video, please stop.

whoops I forgot I'm not supposed to post raid related content in this crotchety casual thread, mb.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Arus I have an axe and a cardboard boat of poutine, clam down or the curds get it.

Aug 24, 2011

speaking of raids how do we get to that portal

cletus: "some fuckwit is burning trash next door to my house"

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 9, 2016

Aug 24, 2011

actually what happened with that

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played since GW2 first came out and now I'm re-downloading it because poo poo, they added a macaw wing glider and also revenants look kind of fun.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

whoops I forgot I'm not supposed to post raid related content in this crotchety casual thread, mb.

Lmao

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Dreggon posted:

actually what happened with that

The guy was a serial arsonist, turns out that he'd been responsible for a lot of trash fires. They gave him a job at Amazon Game Studios I think.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm playing through the HoT story missions as a Daredevil. I'm actually trying to use staff most of the time and "physical" utility skills.
I won't say "it sucks" but I will say it is more difficult to play than Scrapper, Herald, Chronomancer, and Reaper are.
Is there a way to make Daredevil play like Daredevil and not be sub-par? Thief is much better as far as I can tell.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

I'm playing through the HoT story missions as a Daredevil. I'm actually trying to use staff most of the time and "physical" utility skills.
I won't say "it sucks" but I will say it is more difficult to play than Scrapper, Herald, Chronomancer, and Reaper are.
Is there a way to make Daredevil play like Daredevil and not be sub-par? Thief is much better as far as I can tell.

There isn't a major playstyle difference. Daredevil is a little more bonus damage and an extra dodge (2 if using Signet of Agility). Trickery is lower CD on steal & tricks, and a little more init. Honestly I haven't been too engaged with meta builds for a while but I would expect the Lead Attacks change pretty much makes up the difference in damage between the two trait lines (think it'd be 17-27% for Daredevil vs 15% max stacks for Trickery).

So basically by going Daredevil you're electing to hit things with a stick instead of stabbing them; your utility bar isn't going to change much as you still want either Withdraw or Signet of Malice and you still want the Agility and Assassin signets. Running around solo you'll probably be using Signet of Shadows for the speed, otherwise use whatever. Your elite skill is probably still gonna be either Basilisk Venom or Daggerstorm since I'm psure actually using them is a damage loss so you pick for utility.

But yea, the difference amounts to Daredevil presses 2 and 1 to kill things; Thief presses 5, 1, and 2 to kill things.

Obligatory "I have always hated and continue to hate Daredevil" comment.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Adhesive Gamin posted:

The guy was a serial arsonist, turns out that he'd been responsible for a lot of trash fires. They gave him a job at Amazon Game Studios I think.

:vince:

kill meeeeee

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Mizuti posted:

:vince:

kill meeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010