Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shima Honnou posted:

Tbh I almost think Jon's resurrection is leading to some kind of swerve. Coming back to life ain't natural, it's the kind of thing the White Walkers make happen, and the characters I recall being revived in the books always came back shittier than they were in life. If he's really leaving Castle Black, he's basically leaving the whole of Westeros undefended against the coming zombie ice horde. So basically what I'm saying is: what if letting them in is exactly what zombie Jon wants to do? I mean it's either gotta be some kind of ploy or bad writing and I'm not entirely convinced that the writers are that bad that they'd forget the entire thing that the story was structured around since page one of book one. Of course, I could be convinced of that and probably will be eventually.

Its a fun theory and I was thinking about a white walker fakeout myself for awhile, but there's so much building him up as Azor Ahai that it seems unlikely at this point.

Um, in what way is Jon leaving Castle Black leaving the whole of Westeros undefended? He's not that amazing of a fighter himself. He's still leaving the knight's watch in charge of Castle Black same as if he stayed. Instead he's going to go try to unite the North and convince Tommen or whoever to send troops up north to join the Night's Watch. That's exactly what he needs to do to protect Westeros. There's no way the Watch and even the few wildlings are enough to stop them, and Jon Snow himself adding one more man to fight does basically nothing against an army that size.

There's a ton of poo poo writing in the show now but none of that is an issue.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Next week's episode looks boring as poo poo. I'll be amazed if it's anything but an hour of spinning wheels.

Lots of Tyrion's definition of history and nothing else

It looks like Yara is giving Theon poo poo... because she failed to rescue him? That's kinda silly. You'd think she'd feel bad about just running away.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Um, in what way is Jon leaving Castle Black leaving the whole of Westeros undefended? He's not that amazing of a fighter himself. He's still leaving the knight's watch in charge of Castle Black same as if he stayed. Instead he's going to go try to unite the North and convince Tommen or whoever to send troops up north to join the Night's Watch. That's exactly what he needs to do to protect Westeros. There's no way the Watch and even the few wildlings are enough to stop them, and Jon Snow himself adding one more man to fight does basically nothing against an army that size.

Because with Jon and the wildlings gone there's like Edd and 20 good menextras guarding it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Jon's next move is to unite the North and reclaim Winterfel, most likely for Sansa. It's a pretty fair assumption that with the North behind her, she'll throw her support behind the Watch.

People don't come back worse than before because of the resurrection, they come back worse because they died in a horrible way. Catelyn lives for justice/revenge against the Freys/Lannisters, Jon hangs the traitors who killed him and leaves the Watch because his brothers killed him.

Beric isn't a worse person, but he loses a bit of himself with each resurrection so it's not like there are no drawbacks to the process.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 9, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shima Honnou posted:

Because with Jon and the wildlings gone there's like Edd and 20 good menextras guarding it.

Blow the tunnels and call it a day.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Didn't he let through a poo poo ton of Wildlings, though? I can't remember how big Mance's army was supposed to be, wasn't it something like 10,000? There's definitely a lot more than the 50 or so that showed up with Edd last episode. Plenty to leave some at Castle Black and still march south with Jon.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Narmi posted:

People don't come back worse than before because of the resurrection, they come back worse because they died in a horrible way. Catelyn abandons justice for revenge against the Freys/Lannisters, Jon hangs the traitors who killed him and abandons the Watch because his brothers killed him.

Beric isn't a worse person, but he loses a bit of himself with each resurrection so it's not like there are no drawbacks to the process.

Part of it is also probably existential dread. For all his talk of honor and making the right decision, Jon got stabbed and killed for it, and all that awaited him was oblivion. Coming back from that, I can see him flipping the bird to the idea of honor and taking a more direct path towards achieving his goals because what's the point?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Didn't he let through a poo poo ton of Wildlings, though? I can't remember how big Mance's army was supposed to be, wasn't it something like 10,000? There's definitely a lot more than the 50 or so that showed up with Edd last episode. Plenty to leave some at Castle Black and still march south with Jon.

An unknown large sum of that army is wights now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hobo Clown posted:

More than 50 but remember most of Mance's army told Jon to get hosed and then got slaughtered by White Walkers and got added to their army instead.

So its basically like 109,000 vs 1,000

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
IIRC he saved 3000 Wildlings form the massacre at Hardhome.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TommyGun85 posted:

its not "better" but it serves its purpose just fine. All of the key points are spoken almost verbatim without the need for having a longer conversation on the show that it needs to be and without having two extra speaking roles of random people who havent been introduced before, bear no significance and are going to die anything.

its a tv show. thats how tv shows work. there is a lot of tereible dialogue adaptations in the show but this wasnt one of them. the whole scene was poorly executed but the dialogue was fine.

Also, "it begins", "no, it ends" is terrible writing altogether.

There's so little information given in the dialogue that if a viewer doesn't know what happened at the Trident or who Rhaegar is, they have no chance. They may as well not even watch. The book dialogue works if you just remember who Ned is.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

There's so little information given in the dialogue that if a viewer doesn't know what happened at the Trident or who Rhaegar is, they have no chance. They may as well not even watch. The book dialogue works if you just remember who Ned is.

the book is one scene. I iamgine the show will draw out this event over like 5 scenes with more and more information given. The climax will obviously be Ned (and Bran) (and the viewer) discovering that Lyanna is in the tower, that she wasnt kidnapped and that Jon was her baby.

Im sure they will shoehorn in Rhaegars motivations at one point as well.

This is how tv adaptations work.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TommyGun85 posted:

Rhaegar Targaryen: "It's just tits and dragons."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

the book is one scene. I iamgine the show will draw out this event over like 5 scenes with more and more information given. The climax will obviously be Ned (and Bran) (and the viewer) discovering that Lyanna is in the tower, that she wasnt kidnapped and that Jon was her baby.

This is how tv adaptations work.

In the meantime, they just watched a guy that doesn't really look or act like Ned fight unknowns for several minutes. Why not say they were the Kingsguard? Why not say Jaime just killed their king so the viewers can piece together what's going on? They didn't even say the Mad King was their king. Just that the Mad King is dead.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I don't really think Jon's execution of the conspirators is a particularly good indicator of a more ruthless character - he executed Janos Slynt pretty cold-bloodedly for disobeying a direct order, and you have to assume he'd have done the same to one of his men who'd conspired to murder another even before he died and came back.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GaussianCopula posted:

I just don't get why they had to change the brilliant dialogue between the Kingsguard and Ned. It's almost poetic the way George wrote it
Move over, Goethe!

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

whole lot of sperglords itt. Sorry your decades long expectations for a trashy fantasy show didn't pan out as hoped.

I'm liking the Baelor the Blessed line they're playing out with Tommen. Good rhyming with the books lore about Baelor imprisoning his sisters / Tommon imprisoning his wife and mother.

Also lol at Rickon not being some cannibal warlord of a unicorn island, like some of you posted years ago

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GaussianCopula posted:

I just don't get why they had to change the brilliant dialogue between the Kingsguard and Ned. It's almost poetic the way George wrote it and they completely butchered it.

Here is the book version

In show version you have Ser Dayne, who just sharpened one of his blades, sticking it into the ground for no reason - because it looks cool.

yeah, i prefer the version we got on the show

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

yeah, i prefer the version we got on the show

The version we got on the show was bad though.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
My favorite part of the ToJ sword fight was that one guy who had a shield and then decided to throw his shield away and dies.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I just don't understand how the fight scenes got so mediocre when in seasons 1-4 they were solid. The Hound + Arya tavern brawl is cinema quality, both the dialogue beforehand and the actual fight. The tower of joy looked like it belonged on some primetime mid 2000s NBC show that's getting cancelled after its first season. There's something going on here behind the scenes besides simply running out of material from George, the quality of the show in many aspects has taken a nosedive.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Did this episode have the first montage in the show's history?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

onemillionzombies posted:

I just don't understand how the fight scenes got so mediocre when in seasons 1-4 they were solid. The Hound + Arya tavern brawl is cinema quality, both the dialogue beforehand and the actual fight. The tower of joy looked like it belonged on some primetime mid 2000s NBC show that's getting cancelled after its first season. There's something going on here behind the scenes besides simply running out of material from George, the quality of the show in many aspects has taken a nosedive.

lol no it didn't, the fight scene last night was perfectly fine. if you want to sperg out about ~tactical realism~ fine, but no one else cares outside of this thread

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The version we got on the show was bad though.

what does that say about the books

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

this_is_hard posted:

lol no it didn't, the fight scene last night was perfectly fine. if you want to sperg out about ~tactical realism~ fine, but no one else cares outside of this thread

Yes, I greatly desire tactical realism in a show with dragons and ice knights.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

That fight scene was loving garbage, and D&D should feel shame for producing it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm not really sure what the right way to choreograph that scene would have been. Most of the semi-realistic fight choreography in films that stands out involves one-on-one duels (e.g. The Duellists) or bloody battlefield brawls where exchanges are short and people are dropping every few seconds.

This is a scenario with 3:1 odds of trained/competent soldiers vs. peerless soldiers. I can't think of many similar scenarios in films or shows that were that great.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

what does that say about the books

That the books are better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come the marsh redneck was dressed nice.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
WESTEROS WEEKLY NEWS GAZETTE

HEADLINES
Discussions in Meereen. Unoffical leaders talk about how to spend an afternoon!
Discussions in King's Landing. Royalty talk faith and political stuff!
Discussions and pathos at Castle Black
Blind girl beaten in Bravos. Like last week.

PAGE 3 GIRL
Uhmmm... None this week, sorry.

OBITUARIES AND WEEKLY DEATH COUNT
Heroic deaths: 0
Tragic deaths: 0
Gratifying deaths of horrible evil bastards: 0
Ritual sacrifices to the Gods: 0
Common soldies fallen in battle: 0
Hangings of criminals: 4

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY
Many years ago, a young Ned Stark fought someone and some people died in combat! Huzzah!

EDITORIAL
Should we ask ourselves: Were things a lot more exciting in the past?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

rope kid posted:

I'm not really sure what the right way to choreograph that scene would have been. Most of the semi-realistic fight choreography in films that stands out involves one-on-one duels (e.g. The Duellists) or bloody battlefield brawls where exchanges are short and people are dropping every few seconds.

This is a scenario with 3:1 odds of trained/competent soldiers vs. peerless soldiers. I can't think of many similar scenarios in films or shows that were that great.

If he had had Dawn, he could have just cut right through all the red shirts and their feeble attempts to block his strikes with their loser swords on his way to Ned, who is the only one capable of deflecting Dawn because he has Ice. Would've been way better, and it would have recalled the scene where Jon blocks the Other's weapon with Longclaw.

They could have also had the second Kingsguard not go down instantly and have him draw some aggro, kill some folks, and split up the action. Or, god forbid, they could have had the third Kingsguard who was meant to be there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rope kid posted:

Its not that hard, you just show badass 1:3 guy killing lots of Stark's red-shirt men while Stark is busy killing a single red-shirt targaryen, then you show a 1-on-1 with the two guys who are left.

Which is exactly what they did.

They had the right overall idea, its just the actual fighting choreography itself looked silly and that's because the guy was fighting with two longswords and doing his best to constantly spin them around all fancy like. There's no way to make that look anything but kinda silly and forced. The extras were obviously trying to hit his swords at specific times in order to kinda justify his spinny action.

The one good shot is when Dayne kills the one guy by scissoring off his head with his two swords, that was cool. Oh and one quick shot where a Targ redshirt puts his sword right through the middle of a Stark man, that was nice and brutal and physical. Everything else was silly and would have looked better if they'd just given him a single sword and had him beat the crap out of everybody.

In It For The Tank posted:

If he had had Dawn, he could have just cut right through all the red shirts and their feeble attempts to block his strikes with their loser swords on his way to Ned, who is the only one capable of deflecting Dawn because he has Ice. Would've been way better, and it would have recalled the scene where Jon blocks the Other's weapon with Longclaw.

They could have also had the second Kingsguard not go down instantly and have him draw some aggro and split up the action. Or, god forbid, they could have had the third Kingsguard who was meant to be there.

Exactly. Or just like Brienne using Oathkeeper to cut right through those guys' swords. That poo poo looks cool.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not that hard, you just show badass 1:3 guy killing lots of Stark's red-shirt men while Stark is busy killing a single red-shirt targaryen, then you show a 1-on-1 with the two guys who are left.

Which is exactly what they did.

They had the right overall idea, its just the actual fighting choreography itself looked silly and that's because the guy was fighting with two longswords and doing his best to constantly spin them around all fancy like. There's no way to make that look anything but kinda silly and forced. The extras were obviously trying to hit his swords at specific times in order to kinda justify his spinny action.

The one good shot is when Dayne kills the one guy by scissoring off his head with his two swords, that was cool. Oh and one quick shot where a Targ redshirt puts his sword right through the middle of a Stark man, that was nice and brutal and physical. Everything else was silly and would have looked better if they'd just given him a single sword and had him beat the crap out of everybody.

Exactly. Or just like Brienne using Oathkeeper to cut right through those guys' swords. That poo poo looks cool.

were there Targ redshirts? I was high as gently caress but I thought the ToH scene had Ned and like 6 men vs. 2 Kingsguard, I assumed the other guy was Gerrard Hightower?

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

It was Ned and his bros vs 2 Kingsguard.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
The book scene isn't realistic, it's meant to be evocative and is the dialogue is written in an elevated register. Characters "in the present" don't speak or think in that register except on very formal occasions (and occasionally Brienne in her internal monologue). The show dialogue didn't come across well for me since it tries to mix that with the common register that people actually talk in, trying to have it both ways but not quite hitting either.

Putting all the faithfulness-to-material issues aside I thought the fight itself could have been better if you could visually differentiate Howland Reed from the rest of the group. Even knowing the source I had no idea what happened to him during that fight until he suddenly popped up at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

were there Targ redshirts? I was high as gently caress but I thought the ToH scene had Ned and like 6 men vs. 2 Kingsguard, I assumed the other guy was Gerrard Hightower?

Yeah it was Hightower I was referring to, I forgot his name. There was supposed to be a 3rd but they cut him out or moved him inside the tower.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Promethium posted:

The book scene isn't realistic, it's meant to be evocative and is the dialogue is written in an elevated register. Characters "in the present" don't speak or think in that register except on very formal occasions (and occasionally Brienne in her internal monologue). The show dialogue didn't come across well for me since it tries to mix that with the common register that people actually talk in, trying to have it both ways but not quite hitting either.

Putting all the faithfulness-to-material issues aside I thought the fight itself could have been better if you could visually differentiate Howland Reed from the rest of the group. Even knowing the source I had no idea what happened to him during that fight until he suddenly popped up at the end.

he shoulda looked like a swamp redneck.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
It was a well-choreographed fight over all. Most of the time, dual wielding looks cheesy and ridiculous and this was one of the better stabs (!!) at it that I've seen. If you're going to have someone florentine longswords, there are some sacrifices that need to be made in order to pass it off as a tenable fighting style. A 'realistic' fight would've looked a lot different and probably would've been less fun to watch.

The man to Arthur's right was supposed to be Ser Gerold Hightower, right? It's Oswell Whent that was missing.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

onemillionzombies posted:

It's weird because I know the budget has only gone up since the beginning but everything on the show since Season 4 looks cheaper. The Kingsguard outfits look cheaper (compare Jaime's outfit from Season 1 to now), there are less extras running around so every place looks completely desolate and empty. Why are there only like 5 people in the North? Why, when Tormund says Jon is looked on as a God to the wildlings, there are like, 20 wildlings meandering around? Meanwhile, back in Season 2, which was shot when the show was just starting to become a phenomenon, the Battle of the Blackwater looked huge as gently caress.

What the gently caress happened?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

It's weird because I know the budget has only gone up since the beginning but everything on the show since Season 4 looks cheaper. The Kingsguard outfits look cheaper (compare Jaime's outfit from Season 1 to now), there are less extras running around so every place looks completely desolate and empty. Why are there only like 5 people in the North? Why, when Tormund says Jon is looked on as a God to the wildlings, there are like, 20 wildlings meandering around? Meanwhile, back in Season 2, which was shot when the show was just starting to become a phenomenon, the Battle of the Blackwater looked huge as gently caress.

What the gently caress happened?

Catering budget for the mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Maybe cast salaries have gone up? Also when is Ian McShane showing up, he is definitely the other Greyjoy brother right?

• Locked thread