Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
One glance at Record Keeper and All the Bravest should have told you that.

Granted, stupid amounts of currencies is very much a thing for XI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
All we can really do is hope for the best :ohdear:

If anything I'm more worried about a dumb stamina system rather than gameplay-tied IAPs. Although I guess that counts as one

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Zero The Hero posted:

I wish they'd add something that would let you replay every scene from one spot, like they have in FF14. I'm disappointed at how little they're willing to change the interface even now that it's PC only.

I doubt it's so much willingness as it is the fact that it's been less than a month since console support stopped being an issue - apparently it would take a major effort to revise the foundations of the game to enable more/better interface features, so in a way I'm glad these recent updates have focused on quality-of-life stuff like helping us ensure some inventory slots are always available, what with the new Wardrobe 2 and the upcoming crystal storage NPC.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is nexon bad with MTX? A commentator on the article said they are. Also is this a new world being made or am I going to be able to interact with the pc players on my cell phone?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Nexon international is comedically bad with cash shop bullshit but I don't know how bad Nexon Korea is

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Holyshoot posted:

Is nexon bad with MTX? A commentator on the article said they are. Also is this a new world being made or am I going to be able to interact with the pc players on my cell phone?

Do not take this as gospel, but it seems as though this will require accounts separate from the current Final Fantasy XI, but it may interact with XI Accounts in some capacity. They also intend to support Final Fantasy XI's story and when the game first comes out, it will have story content up to Chains of Promathia. The remaining releases are planned to be added in content updates later down the line.

We don't have much at all to go on right now and all information we do know could change at a moment's notice, so... take everything with a grain of salt. v:v:v

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

South Town guy posted:

I doubt it's so much willingness as it is the fact that it's been less than a month since console support stopped being an issue - apparently it would take a major effort to revise the foundations of the game to enable more/better interface features, so in a way I'm glad these recent updates have focused on quality-of-life stuff like helping us ensure some inventory slots are always available, what with the new Wardrobe 2 and the upcoming crystal storage NPC.

Crystal storage NPC is exactly what I'm talking about. This was their chance to show what they could do now that they weren't being held back anymore - make a crystal-only bag, where they'd get used automatically as needed (like FF14). Or make them a currency. There were several solutions they could have used. Instead, we're just doubling down on the same hack solutions we've always had: npc storage.

Hivac posted:

Nexon international is comedically bad with cash shop bullshit but I don't know how bad Nexon Korea is

Nexon Korea is the platonic form of cash shop fuckery that all other companies aspire to.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
In other news, today and tomorrow are the final days of the max lights voidwatch event. If you are an oldguard player who's account was around when voidwatch was implemented, you probably have several thousand stones saved. Go to the voidwatch npc and set up using stones from stock, then Go to warp#5 in ru'aun gardens and join the alliance there killing aello. I managed to score a total of 70 heavy metal plates over the course of like 4 hours last night. Its all pretty zero effort.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I don't know why but I wanted to google one of those 10 hour youtube videos with a party killing colibri or crabs and leave it up in the background. :smith:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Am I allowed to play as anything other than Taru Taru as a Black Mage main? I heard that racial stats are actually super important in this game, but Taru Taru are so drat ugly

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Racial stats are basically nothing nowadays, go whatever you want. Being different races does make some story missions easier tho, like Zilart 6 has you go though some weight sensitive doors that a Galka can pass through without having to do another quest or bring friends.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

Am I allowed to play as anything other than Taru Taru as a Black Mage main? I heard that racial stats are actually super important in this game, but Taru Taru are so drat ugly

They culled the racial differences somewhat in a patch awhile ago. So a situation where the int difference is like 10 int when you have ~200 is drat small.

Also they added shortcuts to those doors.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Alright, cool. Now how do I join the goon linkshell? My in game name is Hamsterlady and I'm on Asura or whatever the server in the op is called

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I thought they shut down the FFXI servers?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

only the ps2 and 360 ones

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Hivac posted:

only the ps2 and 360 ones

They didn't shut down any servers, and if in fact you had a game account on those consoles, it still would work. They only disabled playing the game via consoles. You can download the most recent version of the game direct from playonline.com and use your old account info on PC.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
How do I get in the goon linkshell? I'm "Dinnergamer" on Asura.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Is anyone else excited for the new ffxi reboot on mobile devices?

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Reverand maynard posted:

No puppetmaster, no deal. :colbert:

Nah, I'm kidding. I'm wary about stamina and IAP stuff, but otherwise I'm pretty intrigued. The recent images look gorgeous, there's just not a lot else to say.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Reverand maynard posted:

Its nexxon, so it will be poo poo. Its ffxi so it will be poo poo dressed in whm robes.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I have zero reason to have any faith in it. None of the involved parties have a good track record. I'll definitely check it out if it ever comes to the US, but I definitely won't get my hopes up.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Zero expectations means that I can't be disappointed

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
How long should a newbie be ignoring their gear? I've been using sparks weapons and casket poo poo and I'm 79. Should I buy some Abyssea gear or something or just keep riding this until 99?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

CyberLord XP posted:

How long should a newbie be ignoring their gear? I've been using sparks weapons and casket poo poo and I'm 79. Should I buy some Abyssea gear or something or just keep riding this until 99?

Just stick with sparks gear. Once you hit 99 you can wear Eminent gear, which is honestly fantastic compared to the bulk of the game's history, and it's also bought with sparks. Then once you want to upgrade you can probably go straight to Alluvion Skirmish. That actually seems like a good place for newer or returning players atm, you can get decent gear and stones to augment it, and you can sell all the +1 or +2 stones to make a decent profit.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Zero The Hero posted:

Just stick with sparks gear. Once you hit 99 you can wear Eminent gear, which is honestly fantastic compared to the bulk of the game's history, and it's also bought with sparks. Then once you want to upgrade you can probably go straight to Alluvion Skirmish. That actually seems like a good place for newer or returning players atm, you can get decent gear and stones to augment it, and you can sell all the +1 or +2 stones to make a decent profit.

Once you have ilvl119 you can start doing t1 escha-zitah nms, or you could try to leech if people don't mind or if you buy the pops yourself.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
After randomly playing Ronfaure on piano yesterday I installed this game again and now I am making a new baby Herewaard on Asura to go on adventures with all my old NPC buddies. Someone give me a pearl!

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Majumbo posted:

After randomly playing Ronfaure on piano yesterday I installed this game again and now I am making a new baby Herewaard on Asura to go on adventures with all my old NPC buddies. Someone give me a pearl!

Pearled like a bad habit. Trusts are op and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
New update hit!

Usukane 3.0 is underwhelming

SMN siphon update is disappointing!

Job Master BCNM requires 500 Merits (really!)

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

frodnonnag posted:

New update hit!

500 merits per entry?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

500 merits per entry?

Per Person, Per Entry.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Ahaha, that's god awful.

Enjoy FFXI you jerks, I'm riding off into the sunset until peter somehow talks me into making a new account in 6 months.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

frodnonnag posted:

New update hit!

The only important update this month is the new mount.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

The only important update this month is the new mount.

Agreed.

Also the RoE leading you through the tiers of ilvl content is interesting, but I kind of wish it had skipped making you do every single Skirmish map. Just bring players up to at least Alluvion parity, SE, this isn't that scary!

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Wow Shantotto II is some kind of magical murder machine.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

Per Person, Per Entry.

Correction, only one person needs the r/e orb. Currently nobody can figure out what the event drops, since it seems everything is accounted for.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

CyberLord XP posted:

Wow Shantotto II is some kind of magical murder machine.

Shantotto II is Shantotto only Super Saiyan

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

frodnonnag posted:

Correction, only one person needs the r/e orb. Currently nobody can figure out what the event drops, since it seems everything is accounted for.

100% drop rabbit charm.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Since ffxiah's guide hasn't been updated in a while, can someone give some general recommendations for THF equips?

I'm sitting at 954 accuracy with no food, and I'm trying to figure out what gear I should be focusing on. Only got one piece of rawhide armor (gloves), and I'd like to put something together.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Since ffxiah's guide hasn't been updated in a while, can someone give some general recommendations for THF equips?

I'm sitting at 954 accuracy with no food, and I'm trying to figure out what gear I should be focusing on. Only got one piece of rawhide armor (gloves), and I'd like to put something together.

If you can get Rawhide easily, chest and boots are nice. Reforged Empy +1 is great. Augmented Sandung gets you 50 additional acc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Escha-Zitah T1 NMs are easy enough. Just farm about 50k silt, provide all the pops and do a shout for whichever nms drop rawhide and go from there. Rawhide is decent, adhemar stuff is what you want to try to get. The abjuration for it drops in escha-ru'an. SInister Reign is another place to get some decent thf gear. Taming Sari is a decent dagger. Thf can still put out some decent numbers with the right gear and rudra's. I just don't know what the right gear is. I assume Abnoba's Kaftan for your ws body would be a huge boon. Adhemar head/body/hands, herculean legs+feet. Those are probably not what you want right now. Do you have a full ilvl119 gear? yorcia alluvion skirmish is easy enough to cheese.