Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guy Axlerod posted:

You want to rent a compact car? Whoa, better be 25 to do that. Want to rent a 25' moving truck? 18? Go nuts. I'm sure there are exceptions to both of those, but it doesn't quite make sense to me.

For content, these stickers:

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying the registration fee, or getting my car inspected, or even having the plates and keeping a piece of paper in my car. I just hate swapping out the registration sticker every other year. Trying to scrape off the remains of the old sticker with a razor blade in an incredibly awkward position is just a huge pain in my rear end. I'm pretty sure a cop can just look it up based on my plate number, so why do I need the stickers?

In the UK those are now obsolete technology. Road tax discs were scrapped last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

You want to rent a compact car? Whoa, better be 25 to do that. Want to rent a 25' moving truck? 18? Go nuts. I'm sure there are exceptions to both of those, but it doesn't quite make sense to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying the registration fee, or getting my car inspected, or even having the plates and keeping a piece of paper in my car. I just hate swapping out the registration sticker every other year. Trying to scrape off the remains of the old sticker with a razor blade in an incredibly awkward position is just a huge pain in my rear end. I'm pretty sure a cop can just look it up based on my plate number, so why do I need the stickers?

Can't you just use isopropyl alcohol?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That's what I use to clean the glass when I replace window stickers.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sentient Data posted:

In FL the registration stickers just go directly on the license plate itself. I don't see why that wouldn't work in any other states, maybe they thought there would be an epidemic of license plate theft/swapping?

True that there's no smogging here, but why does that even need its own sticker? Just get paperwork from whatever agencies saying that your car passed the various inspections, then bring that to the DMV when it's time to renew your car (or sign an affidavit if your car is non-operable and get a different color registration sticker so the police know there's no valid inspections). That way if you don't have your inspections, you don't get your registration renewal.

Yeah, in Kansas we just put the sticker in the corner of the plate. Usually people have a fun stack of about ten (or more) by the time a new plate is issued. And yearly inspections aren't even close to a thing.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I use eucalyptus oil, and then wish I didn't because everything then smells like Koalas and road trip lollies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Worked nicely to clear off the gunk left behind by lovely window tint, too.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jedit posted:

In the UK those are now obsolete technology. Road tax discs were scrapped last year.

And about 25% of the time, they forget to send the reminders out.

So if you thought you'd paid for 12 months, when you'd actually only paid for 6, the first time you find out is when you get a penalty notice through the post

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

Sentient Data posted:

In FL the registration stickers just go directly on the license plate itself. I don't see why that wouldn't work in any other states, maybe they thought there would be an epidemic of license plate theft/swapping?

True that there's no smogging here, but why does that even need its own sticker? Just get paperwork from whatever agencies saying that your car passed the various inspections, then bring that to the DMV when it's time to renew your car (or sign an affidavit if your car is non-operable and get a different color registration sticker so the police know there's no valid inspections). That way if you don't have your inspections, you don't get your registration renewal.
They'll stop with the stickers once enough police departments have license plate scanners that they don't need a visual indicator of whether registration is current.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but what do people today do with obsolete music collections? I have hundreds of cd's in jewel boxes I can't bear to part with, but don't really know how to best archive. Cd's have to considered obsolete by now, right?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Texas just switched to that system for the counties that require smog checks. You get your inspection within 90 days of your renewal, your result is uploaded to the state and they tie it to your registration, so there's only one sticker.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but what do people today do with obsolete music collections? I have hundreds of cd's in jewel boxes I can't bear to part with, but don't really know how to best archive. Cd's have to considered obsolete by now, right?

I don't think CDs are truly obsolete as a storage format until common computers stop including a CD drive. The other option may be backing up your songs to a flash drive or something, since 8 GB drives are so cheap they're practically raining from the sky spontaneously near Best Buys.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mercury Ballistic posted:

After ripping my whole collection (about 650 titles) to an external hard drive, I disassembled the jewel cases and put the CDs in some of these (with capacities of up to 1,000 discs):

I put the u-cards and booklets in 5x7 photo sleeves and put them into large D-ring binders:

I put digi-pack and non-jewel cases in a box and any box sets were put on a bookshelf.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think CDs are truly obsolete as a storage format until common computers stop including a CD drive. The other option may be backing up your songs to a flash drive or something, since 8 GB drives are so cheap they're practically raining from the sky spontaneously near Best Buys.

I heard flash doesn't last forever, the bits on them decay over time, so in fact they might not last as long as optical media. I guess you can just keep buying new flash drives and making more copies though :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

I heard flash doesn't last forever, the bits on them decay over time, so in fact they might not last as long as optical media. I guess you can just keep buying new flash drives and making more copies though :v:

So the best way to archive CD media is to put the CDs in a box that says "Archive" on it?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

So the best way to archive CD media is to put the CDs in a box that says "Archive" on it?

I don't know, all I know is whatever I do will probably be the wrong solution! If I recall correctly, I think I heard that the best option is to store stuff on a hard disk that is regularly backed up. I suppose if you have it on a disk you use all the time, you'll notice when that disk dies (even better you might notice before it dies if you use SMART monitoring and you're kinda lucky) and you can replace the disk and restore from backup. Better if you have more than one backup of course.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As far as the music itself, rip the CDs to a lossless open source format like FLAC and you'll be all set. The FLAC 'masters' are literally as good as the CD itself, and you can just convert a copy from flac to mp3 or whatever is the flavor of the decade when you need smaller or player-specific files

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Unless you're going to be editing the files later, just go for high quality VBR MP3 instead. You can't hear the difference anyway, and the compatibility is much better, and it's not like MP3 support in devices is ever going away.

The only thing AAC, Ogg Vorbis, Opus and other newer lossless formats get you is audibly transparent files at lower bitrates, but they also have worse compatibility.

There's nothing wrong with using FLAC, since it'll be a 1:1 backup. But if it's just for listening, it's kind of a waste of space.

As for the player, either get a Sansa and a microSD card, or get an Android phone with good battery life and a microSD slot, and load up a player like BubbleUPNP or Foobar2000 for mobile when it's released. Ever since I got my Moto X, I've stopped carrying around my dedicated MP3 player.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 08:37 on May 10, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just keep the CDs as is what the gently caress is the problem why would you want to spend any amount of time thinking about this let alone ripping poo poo or buying cases and binders and poo poo? Jesus gently caress it's not that hard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I can't wait for nerds to become obsolete.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just keep the CDs as is what the gently caress is the problem why would you want to spend any amount of time thinking about this let alone ripping poo poo or buying cases and binders and poo poo? Jesus gently caress it's not that hard.

CDs take up an assload of space for no good reason.

That's fine if you live in a house with an attic or something. It sucks rear end if you live in an apartment like I do.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Unless you're going to be editing the files later, just go for high quality VBR MP3 instead. You can't hear the difference anyway, and the compatibility is much better, and it's not like MP3 support in devices is ever going away.

Came here to post this. Not much plays FLAC whereas everything does, and will continue to do so

Jerry Cotton posted:

I did spend a very long time ripping my DVDs, only to find that when Netflix came out, around half of them where available online at better quality.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Somebody stole my bigass folder of CDs in college but the joke's on them as I had them all digitally ripped anyway

Enjoy the obsolete tech you rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo fucker

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think CDs are truly obsolete as a storage format until common computers stop including a CD drive.
A lot of off the shelf computers already skip the optical reader. I don't have a single device in my home that has an optical reader any more, but I keep a USB DVD reader just in case. I've needed it once since I bought it three years ago.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For home use, sure. They're relatively inert.

Rip them, keep a backup. Migrate the backup to a new drive regularly. Really the larger hurdle is keeping that stuff organized. For the love of god work out how you want your files named, organized and tagged, because doing it right when you rip them is way less annoying than having to go back and retag thousands of files, even with batch tagging software.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

For home use, sure. They're relatively inert.

Rip them, keep a backup. Migrate the backup to a new drive regularly. Really the larger hurdle is keeping that stuff organized. For the love of god work out how you want your files named, organized and tagged, because doing it right when you rip them is way less annoying than having to go back and retag thousands of files, even with batch tagging software.

I found that, for all its sins, iTunes was good at this.

Not only does it automagically tag the individual tracks correctly, you can set it to put them in a suitable folder structure/filenames.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

CDs take up an assload of space for no good reason.

That's fine if you live in a house with an attic or something. It sucks rear end if you live in an apartment like I do.

Compact discs don't take up an assload of space on account of being compact. A single Ikea CD shelf holds just under 200 regular CD cases and has a footprint of 20x17. Of course it takes around five minutes to assemble and costs IDK 20e or something a piece so it's definitely an added cost. Still never going to waste my time ripping all my discs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

A lot of off the shelf computers already skip the optical reader. I don't have a single device in my home that has an optical reader any more, but I keep a USB DVD reader just in case. I've needed it once since I bought it three years ago.

I keep a DVD drive in my desktop almost solely for ripping CDs, and I'll probably put one in my next PC for the same reason, considering how cheap they are.

My Lovely Horse posted:

For the love of god work out how you want your files named, organized and tagged, because doing it right when you rip them is way less annoying than having to go back and retag thousands of files, even with batch tagging software.

This. So much this.

I redid the tags on my ~18000 file collection once, and I hope I never have to do something as mind-numbing as that ever again.

Get your tags right from the start. Either use the built-in autotagger in your ripping software (you really should be using EAC if you're on Windows), or use something like Picard, which gets the information from Musicbrainz. Be aware that MB tags the specific release release date for re-releases, not the original release date for the album, if that matters to you.

At the very least, fill out the Artist, Albumartist*, Album, Title, Date and Tracknumber tags, but don't hesitate to fill out as many fields as your playback software of choice supports. The Genre tag is a bit worthless, but it can be nice to fill out stuff like Location and Recording Date for live albums, if your software supports those tags. Don't bother dividing multi-disc albums into separate discs, it's much easier to manage them as large single albums.

*Albumartist is super useful for albums that have one primary artist and a couple of tracks by other artists, or tracks with featured artists, if you tag those in the Artist field like I do (e.g. Albumartist "Apocalyptica" and Artist "Apocalyptica feat. Sandra Nasić").

The reason I don't put featured artists in the song title is that I think it becomes too messy, and because they're featured artists, not song titles dammit.

I like to put cover or version information in parenthesis after the song title, and if it's a bonus and/or live track I put that in brackets.

Once you have your tags right, most competent playback software will be able to organize your collection for you, according to various schemes. So the tags really are the basis for any kind of organized collection.

For me, the file-level end result looks like this:

<music folder>/<albumartist>/<date> - <album>/<tracknumber> - <artist> - <title>
or
<music folder>/Apocalyptica/2000 - Cult/14 - Apocalyptica feat. Sandra Nasić - Path Vol. 2 [Bonus].mp3

Various Artists albums take a little more manual care, but usually people only have a handful of those.

Yes, I am a gigantic :spergin: for the proper labeling and organization of music.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Compact discs don't take up an assload of space on account of being compact. A single Ikea CD shelf holds just under 200 regular CD cases and has a footprint of 20x17. Of course it takes around five minutes to assemble and costs IDK 20e or something a piece so it's definitely an added cost. Still never going to waste my time ripping all my discs.

And you'll have to physically go find the particular CD you want to listen to every time, and manually put it in your CD player.

Whereas I'll just say "OK Google, play Iron Maiden on Google Play Music" to my phone, which starts a shuffled playlist. Then I press the Chromecast button to cast it to my bigass stereo, or to all of the rooms in my apartment at once.

(I uploaded all of my music to GPM's music locker feature after I ripped the CDs)

Come join the 21st century. It's pretty rad.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 09:43 on May 10, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a weirdo apparently because I rarely keep entire albums. I usually just listen a few times and keep the songs I actually like. I burn the full stuff off to a disc in bulk and only keep the ones I want to actually listen to on drive/player.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I keep a DVD drive in my desktop almost solely for ripping CDs, and I'll probably put one in my next PC for the same reason, considering how cheap they are.

This. So much this.

I redid the tags on my ~18000 file collection once, and I hope I never have to do something as mind-numbing as that ever again.

Get your tags right from the start. Either use the built-in autotagger in your ripping software (you really should be using EAC if you're on Windows), or use something like Picard, which gets the information from Musicbrainz. Be aware that MB tags the specific release release date for re-releases, not the original release date for the album, if that matters to you.

At the very least, fill out the Artist, Albumartist*, Album, Title, Date and Tracknumber tags, but don't hesitate to fill out as many fields as your playback software of choice supports. The Genre tag is a bit worthless, but it can be nice to fill out stuff like Location and Recording Date for live albums, if your software supports those tags. Don't bother dividing multi-disc albums into separate discs, it's much easier to manage them as large single albums.

*Albumartist is super useful for albums that have one primary artist and a couple of tracks by other artists, or tracks with featured artists, if you tag those in the Artist field like I do (e.g. Albumartist "Apocalyptica" and Artist "Apocalyptica feat. Sandra Nasić").

The reason I don't put featured artists in the song title is that I think it becomes too messy, and because they're featured artists, not song titles dammit.

I like to put cover or version information in parenthesis after the song title, and if it's a bonus and/or live track I put that in brackets.

Once you have your tags right, most competent playback software will be able to organize your collection for you, according to various schemes. So the tags really are the basis for any kind of organized collection.

<music folder>/<albumartist>/<date> - <album>/<tracknumber> - <artist> - <title>
or
<music folder>/Apocalyptica/2000 - Cult/14 - Apocalyptica feat. Sandra Nasić - Path Vol. 2 [Bonus].mp3

Various Artists albums take a little more manual care, but usually people only have a handful of those.

Yes, I am a gigantic :spergin: for the proper labeling and organization of music.

And you'll have to physically go find the particular CD you want to listen to every time, and manually put it in your CD player.

Whereas I'll just say "OK Google, play Iron Maiden on Google Play Music" to my phone, which starts a shuffled playlist. Then I press the Chromecast button to cast it to my bigass stereo, or to all of the rooms in my apartment at once.

(I uploaded all of my music to GPM's music locker feature after I ripped the CDs)

I don't listen to Iron Maiden.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm a weirdo apparently because I rarely keep entire albums. I usually just listen a few times and keep the songs I actually like. I burn the full stuff off to a disc in bulk and only keep the ones I want to actually listen to on drive/player.

I'm probably a little old-school, I prefer to preserve the wholeness of the album even if I only really like one or two tracks. It probably depends a lot on genres too, I have a bunch of concept albums. But if you primarily listen to genres where albums tend more towards single collections, I can see why you'd only keep the tracks you really like.

For me, I have a bunch of albums where I originally only liked a couple of tracks, but as I listened to the album more and more, I started liking the other tracks as well. It would have sucked to have deleted them before giving them a proper chance.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

You ever moved house?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have a folder named MISC that's full of single tracks and I have no idea how to handle it. If I put the whole folder on it's a cacophony of wildly different genres, if I sort my collection by artists it's just a bunch of artists with 1 song each, and the genre tag is pretty useless (I wish it was repeatable).

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

it can be nice to fill out stuff like Location and Recording Date for live albums

"OK Google, play any live recording made in Tennessee"?

Do the music rating services add tags to help you do any of these?

"OK Google, play songs with the most epic guitar solos"

"OK Google, play only songs that have charted at number 1"

"OK Google, play me some songs with synthesizers"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because this is what happens when you do, if you have too many CDs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Buttcoin purse posted:

"OK Google, play any live recording made in Tennessee"?

Do the music rating services add tags to help you do any of these?

"OK Google, play songs with the most epic guitar solos"

"OK Google, play only songs that have charted at number 1"

"OK Google, play me some songs with synthesizers"

"OK Google, play music with blonde drummers, recorded before 1980 in Upper Mongolia"

I wish voice control was that good :sigh:

Google Play Music's tag support is rather limited, unfortunately. As is the list of available commands for Google Now voice commands. Personally, the only features I'm really missing is a Chromecast command, but I'm sure that's coming in a future update.

Musicbrainz sometimes has the complete performer+instrument listings for all tracks on an album, including which studio it was recorded at and all kinds of additional info. It is the spergiest tagging database ever.

The location and recording date tags are mostly for desktop software like Foobar2000 or Qoud Libet, where you have super-powerful regex searching and sorting. I don't bother with those tags, honestly.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 10:25 on May 10, 2016

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

0dB posted:

You ever moved house?

No he still lives in his parents basement

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

0dB posted:

You ever moved house?

No I still live in the potato hole I was born in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are you seriously trying to say CDs are heavy now?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

KozmoNaut posted:

This. So much this.

or

or you could use spotify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spotify is great for people who only listen to music that is on Spotify. Although now that they got Agit Prop back I've actually used it once or twice because the cassette doesn't work any more. (And no this isn't about obscure music. A shitload of stuff I can buy on CD at a loving gas station isn't on Spotify and it's usually for financial and/or legal reasons.)