Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I might as well plug the entire album, Overdrive. One of my favorite albums of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are Vektor so good but pretty much every other modern thrash band is poo poo?

They have honest energy in their music and aren't stuck in the 80s.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Undergang and Spectral Voice will be touring the United States in July. I'm definitely going to the Chicago show on Friday, July 15th.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're alright but I immediately forget everything I heard the moment I'm done listening to them.

I haven't even heard their most recent two albums, but I still really like Existence is Futile and Chaos of Forms

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I would like Revocation a lot more I think if I wasn't distracted by how much I dislike the vocals

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My problem with revocation is that they certainly have the talent but lack the energy and melody on a lot of their songs. It doesn't get stuck in your head and is kinda forgettable.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cheapsteaks posted:

Well, I didn't expect Terminal Redux to channel Pink Floyd at the end of the album, but here it is.

My favorite 'metal band turns into Pink Floyd' is the parts on Nokturnal Mortum's last album, it shouldn't work but it does.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i really don't hear much thrash in revocation, they just sound like a nowadays tech death band with shoutier vocals

speaking of nowadays tech death, i'm actually excited for the new defeated sanity album. they're splitting it into two halves, with one being relentless turbo-brutal stuff and the other side being 90s-style prog death. the latter sounds interesting coming from them, always felt they were more suited to that style than to brutal stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hear some thrash but a lot more death on their one and only memorable song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3hjExZWXA

(I just base this stuff on the drum beats)

Also this song is good because it has some energy and a catchy melody in the chorus but gets kinda mired down in the slow prechorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSn6hbjNKfQ

Everything else is kinda forgettable though, I don't even know the names of their albums off the top of my head most of the time.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

beefart posted:

:siren: Blind Guardian and Grave Digger are coming back to the US in the fall :siren:

Much relieved to see a Dallas show on there, since some shithead threw a beer at Hansi when they were here last December.

Also can't wait to sing along to ExcaliBUUUUUR with Chris Boltendahl's muppet voice again :getin:

they're coming to a pretty small club in NC (cat's cradle in carrboro) that holds 750 though usually only has a couple hundred - I thought they played amphitheaters and poo poo?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I enjoyed the last Revocation album a lot but the entire thing does run together. That said, every song seems to have one or two parts that are completely kick rear end and make them worth a listen. I think they're real cool dudes with great ideas but there's something missing they haven't figured out yet. To their credit they do seem to get better every year.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hear some thrash but a lot more death on their one and only memorable song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3hjExZWXA

(I just base this stuff on the drum beats)

Also this song is good because it has some energy and a catchy melody in the chorus but gets kinda mired down in the slow prechorus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSn6hbjNKfQ

Everything else is kinda forgettable though, I don't even know the names of their albums off the top of my head most of the time.

This is exactly the reason why I don't like Revocation or a lot of modern American metal bands. They all tend to try and repeat that same mixture of Pantera/Lamb of God riff formula and try to make it their own, but it just is so god drat boring to me. In fact, a lot of melodic death metal runs the same route and it really puts me off.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Varg posted:

hey Wyzt your band got another shoutout, deservedly so - http://www.metalinjection.net/editorials/the-obituarist/trevor-from-the-black-dahlia-murders-17-bands-to-bash-your-face-in-to-this-may

this guy's lists are about the only good thing on that site

Pretty cool, the guy posts some good stuff on his lists.

Only got a few songs into the Vektor album on the drive to work...I got to work and checked to see if the album was almost over after the 30 minute drive and I was only like 3 songs in. What I've heard so far rips though.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
If you want some modern thrash listen to Ghoul.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wyzt posted:

Pretty cool, the guy posts some good stuff on his lists.

Only got a few songs into the Vektor album on the drive to work...I got to work and checked to see if the album was almost over after the 30 minute drive and I was only like 3 songs in. What I've heard so far rips though.

Yeah, it's a 73-minute monster that feels more like 55.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

beefart posted:

:siren: Blind Guardian and Grave Digger are coming back to the US in the fall :siren:

Much relieved to see a Dallas show on there, since some shithead threw a beer at Hansi when they were here last December.

Also can't wait to sing along to ExcaliBUUUUUR with Chris Boltendahl's muppet voice again :getin:

This is great news. I missed it last year. I wont miss it again.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Scrambles posted:

they're coming to a pretty small club in NC (cat's cradle in carrboro) that holds 750 though usually only has a couple hundred - I thought they played amphitheaters and poo poo?
Nah. I mean sure BG will 100% draw a huge crowd on any big European festival, but they still do small venue gigs as well. The place I saw them at last summer holds 900 at maximum.

Not that I think you're hesitating or anything, but seriously just loving go. It's been stated in this thread many times, but it bears repeating that they are an insanely good live band. No flashy pyros or anything, they just have this magic to them and their fans make for an amazing crowd.

Of course you might already know all that already and I'm preaching to the choir here, but whatever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

the yeti posted:

Double postin but

These fonts aren't spiky enough, I can still read them if I strain my eyes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scrambles posted:

No power metal band plays amphitheaters in the U.S.

Really unless your metal band's name is Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest or Megadeth, you won't play to more than a couple thousand people unless it's like a touring festival kind of deal or your opening for the aforementioned bands.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 7, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm more curious why they're playing the Cradle which is more of an indie rock venue as opposed to like the Ritz.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I agree but the cradle is pretty cool and the ritz isn't so I'm not asking any more questions, buying tix as soon as possible even though it's on my wife's birthday (she understands)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Here is a picture of Nuclear Death eating pizza: http://www.brutalnoise.com/vintage/details.php?image_id=131&sessionid=30a7ece98150663b3cc20f858b8d520b

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

comes along bort posted:

If you want some modern thrash listen to Ghoul.

Too busy listening to Deathhammer.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm not really a big thrash guy ( and never liked Death ), but these guys came up on my shuffle randomly and gently caress, this is good poo poo:

Blackfast
Terms of Surrender - Full Album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jlDI3VBaQ0

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Black Fast feel like their drummer just really doesn't want to embrace the riffs the guitars are doing. They would be my favorite band if their drummer would do some double time patterns. Like that first riff on that album is so loving killer but if the drummer was to hit the snare drum twice as much (and the hh) it would completely change the feel of the song and make it feel as energetic as it should really be. So replace the ACDC beat with a proper thrash/punk beat.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'd just like to reiterate that the new Vektor album is so loving good. God drat.
yeah :allears: man I can't wait to see them live again, the crowd was so small and lacked any energy when I saw them with Voivod, I'm going to fix that if I have to myself

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Black Fast feel like their drummer just really doesn't want to embrace the riffs the guitars are doing. They would be my favorite band if their drummer would do some double time patterns. Like that first riff on that album is so loving killer but if the drummer was to hit the snare drum twice as much (and the hh) it would completely change the feel of the song and make it feel as energetic as it should really be. So replace the ACDC beat with a proper thrash/punk beat.
The dude really, really loving loves his hi-hat.

EDIT: Or whichever cymbal that is he's hammering on constantly. This is really good stuff otherwise but TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH TISH.

EDIT 2: I guess the problem is more that it's a bit too high in the mix, though

Nordick fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 8, 2016

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'd just like to reiterate that the new Vektor album is so loving good. God drat.

it really is amazing

and i usually dont like thrash on account of most of it being bad

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Half time beats rule. Skank can gently caress off forever

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TollTheHounds posted:

I'm not really a big thrash guy ( and never liked Death ), but these guys came up on my shuffle randomly and gently caress, this is good poo poo:

Blackfast
Terms of Surrender - Full Album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jlDI3VBaQ0

Wasn't really sold on the vocals at first, but this is actually pretty great stuff

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The new Vektor's alright but the songs kinda blur together like the last album.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Terminal Redux: A Good Album

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

The new Vektor's alright but the songs kinda blur together like the last album.

Y'know, it'd be nice if bands like Vektor tried doing something at 150bpm instead of 200+ for every song.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently Ozzy cheated on Sharon and they've split. Now maybe Bill Ward can come back and they can have a REAL farewell tour. Small clubs only.

http://www.nme.com/news/ozzy-osbourne/93451

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-q5AJ4kG5I

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

comes along bort posted:

thrash listen to Ghoul.

good advice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Vintersorg posted:

Apparently Ozzy cheated on Sharon and they've split. Now maybe Bill Ward can come back and they can have a REAL farewell tour. Small clubs only.

http://www.nme.com/news/ozzy-osbourne/93451

what kind of meth fiend would even get close to ozzy at this point

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
These are good times with gorguts and ulver releasing new stuff, even though the latter isn't metal at all anymore at this point. any other good release these days?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

H13 posted:

Y'know, it'd be nice if bands like Vektor tried doing something at 150bpm instead of 200+ for every song.

gently caress that. Metal should be either as slow as possible or as fast as possible. Not as medium as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
When metal is as medium as possible you end up with Load/Reload and who wants that?

I've never heard Vektor before today and I'm digging it. I always kinda blank on thrash for some reason, I like it but rarely seek it out. Found a band a few months ago called Marionette that kinda sorta sound like SYL, but not as good. Few things are though.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 9, 2016