Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

What do you guys think this is worth?

I don't know worth, but it's amazing that it's made it this long without having those hideous bumpers removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

blk posted:

What do you guys think this is worth?

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5575138169.html

Owner says: "No rust , 127k was rebuilt around 35k ago and runs good had the valve cover and oil pan put in a auto dishwasher new gaskets BMW original , valves adjusted Oil change and new plugs and wires new urethane bushings front and rear suspension."

Not sure about the gas tank, heater, or other potential hairiness, although were those still an issue on late production cars like this?

God, that's so nice. I want it.
I have no idea what those things are worth but $8k would be a BIN price for me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Way too high. Weren't you just complaining that there's no e30s out there but you are looking at 11k 2002s?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I didn't realize that my CSB was actually, you know, non-existant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO3SoVNraCU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

Way too high. Weren't you just complaining that there's no e30s out there but you are looking at 11k 2002s?

I think I was the one complaining that there were no E30s. And there still aren't. :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd try to buy this 2002 instead

Still over a day left so the price might go up, but it has been pretty steady for a few days.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

ThirstyBuck posted:

If I remember correctly the leads for the respective sensors are different lengths. When you put the exhaust back up, only the correct lead has enough reach to connect to the correct sensor.

I hope this is correct. All the exhaust/shielding has been off for a month now. I think I know how it all goes back on.

gently caress CDVs and gently caress bitch clips.

Worth it though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well poo poo, as a follow up to my post a few weeks ago about some groaning/chirping/squeaking for a couple seconds after start up in my E46, the guess that it is the starter not disengaging quickly enough may be the right one after all. I think my starter is beginning to really go out now. It is pretty sluggish to turn over, kind of like if the car had a dying battery. But at least for the moment it does turn over after hesitating a bit, but once it fires up everything is normal after that. No hesitation, no stumbling, no dim lights/electronics, etc.

The car had been sitting for over a week, so my first thought was check the battery. The battery itself is only 2 years old (April 2014), and I threw it on a tender just to ensure it was fully charged. It reads ~12.4V at rest after sitting overnight, and the car shows a steady ~14.2V while in operation. Fuel filter was replaced not too long ago, and I don't have any other symptoms of a failing fuel pump, either.

And of course replacing the starter on the E46+M54 looks like a pain in the dick, sigh. If the starter is on borrowed time I don't imagine I've got too long before it craps out entirely. May have to shell out for my indy shop to do this one for me. :(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Guinness posted:

Well poo poo, as a follow up to my post a few weeks ago about some groaning/chirping/squeaking for a couple seconds after start up in my E46, the guess that it is the starter not disengaging quickly enough may be the right one after all. I think my starter is beginning to really go out now. It is pretty sluggish to turn over, kind of like if the car had a dying battery. But at least for the moment it does turn over after hesitating a bit, but once it fires up everything is normal after that. No hesitation, no stumbling, no dim lights/electronics, etc.

The car had been sitting for over a week, so my first thought was check the battery. The battery itself is only 2 years old (April 2014), and I threw it on a tender just to ensure it was fully charged. It reads ~12.4V at rest after sitting overnight, and the car shows a steady ~14.2V while in operation. Fuel filter was replaced not too long ago, and I don't have any other symptoms of a failing fuel pump, either.

And of course replacing the starter on the E46+M54 looks like a pain in the dick, sigh. If the starter is on borrowed time I don't imagine I've got too long before it craps out entirely. May have to shell out for my indy shop to do this one for me. :(

I replaced one in the dark with lovely tools, it can be done. It's not THAT bad.

Ziploc posted:

I hope this is correct. All the exhaust/shielding has been off for a month now. I think I know how it all goes back on.

gently caress CDVs and gently caress bitch clips.

Worth it though.

I replaced my bitch clips with a bolt and lock nut. :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I replaced one in the dark with lovely tools, it can be done. It's not THAT bad.

How did you go about it, from the top or bottom? The couple of DIYs I've pulled up make it look like it's tucked way the gently caress in there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter/13-ENGINE-Replacing_Your_Starter.htm
This is the easiest way.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 9, 2016

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I use a loooooong (read: all my extensions joined into a wobbly megazord) extension to get at the bolts with my hand on a ratchet near the driveshaft. If you pull the drivers side inner fender and take the wheel off it will come out through there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://imgur.com/gallery/rZtcz

I'll just leave that here :circlefap:

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

fknlo posted:

I'd try to buy this 2002 instead

Still over a day left so the price might go up, but it has been pretty steady for a few days.

jesus it's like an anti-chrome sentiment thesis

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Guinness posted:

How did you go about it, from the top or bottom? The couple of DIYs I've pulled up make it look like it's tucked way the gently caress in there.

Oh man, :rip: to your weekend/week/whatever. I replaced the starter on my S52 E36 and it sucked rocks. I went at it from the top...and the bottom. Many say you can do it from the bottom only and I still question how they would have done it. You'll need an assload of wobbly extensions and if it's the same as the S52 an E12 torx socket. You can do most of it by yourself but get a second pair of hands when it comes to guiding the extension onto the E12 bolts and making sure the socket is fully seated. I can't imagine what I would do if I stripped that out. :smithicide:

Also don't forget to make sure the hot wire leading to the alternator is connected at the starter because you'll go from triumph of having your car start to total dread when the battery light comes on. ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The rubber plug on the driver rear of the touring fell out when I was underneath finishing up the CSB tonight. The carpet pad is completely soaked and there's rust forming around the hole. GUESS ITS TIME FOR A WINDSHIELD SEAL!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Starter chat:

On the e46 you can do it without removing anything underneath, it will definitely frustrate you. You need about 3-4ft of wobbles/extensions to get at the bolts. On my ZHP I had no luck getting the top bolt with those, I had to go in from the top. But the e46 cowl is super easy to take off, then you can get in there with a gear wrench. I can't remember what size but there is a 12pt imperial gear wrench that will work for e-torx. Or the proper e-torx if you can find it.

On e36 I can't see there being enough room between the block/firewall. I've never had to do one with the exhaust in place so I just lowered the trans and went about it that way. Never really had issues, but I can pull an e36 ZF gearbox in 2 hours from starting to jack it up so I have a lot of experience there.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 10, 2016

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Experiences with ECS Tuning? Looks like they have the best deal right now for a set of Konis, and I want some yellow in my life.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I bought my suspension refresh kit and some other bits from them, all good so far.

They're closer than pelican and AZ to me so I can cheap out some on shipping.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T-Square posted:

Experiences with ECS Tuning? Looks like they have the best deal right now for a set of Konis, and I want some yellow in my life.

ECS is fine but keep looking, I have a really hard time believing that they are the cheapest for anything. I have been looking for koni fsd shocks/struts and importrp.com was very cheap

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My suggestion is to just get the Koni Oranges unless you're actually going to track the thing hard. Otherwise you're pretty much throwing away money for a different color.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

My suggestion is to just get the Koni Oranges unless you're actually going to track the thing hard. Otherwise you're pretty much throwing away money for a different color.

It's pretty much going to be a track beater, I have a comfy new Corolla for DD duties. I heard that the oranges weren't really that great either?

BraveUlysses posted:

ECS is fine but keep looking, I have a really hard time believing that they are the cheapest for anything. I have been looking for koni fsd shocks/struts and importrp.com was very cheap

poo poo, good call. I've never heard of importrp, they're a solid $30 cheaper for the whole set. Thanks!

T-Square fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 10, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I drove that e36 convertible with the hosed up strut mounts and bald tires 625 miles back home. Bavarian Horse is in the stable, I think I'll make a project thread for it over the summer.

Got a question about the clutch, though. It doesn't seem hosed, nice easy transitions without any noise or difficulty and it doesn't feel like its slipping out of gear. What it doesn't do is fully engage with my foot off the pedal, and by that I mean I can find a gear and dump it but not spin the tires... it kind of just catches up with the tach and rolls along without breaking traction.

So whats that about? the factory dual-mass flywheel doing whatever it does after 20 years of abuse? Is this why people convert to the single-mass or is this indicating that its been converted (maybe poorly?) I'm going to pressure flush and bleed the master/slave this weekend and see if it changes anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T-Square posted:

It's pretty much going to be a track beater, I have a comfy new Corolla for DD duties. I heard that the oranges weren't really that great either?

poo poo, good call. I've never heard of importrp, they're a solid $30 cheaper for the whole set. Thanks!

there's one more company that i cant remember the name of but they're even lower than importrp...check google shopping

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bacon Hat posted:

I drove that e36 convertible with the hosed up strut mounts and bald tires 625 miles back home. Bavarian Horse is in the stable, I think I'll make a project thread for it over the summer.

Got a question about the clutch, though. It doesn't seem hosed, nice easy transitions without any noise or difficulty and it doesn't feel like its slipping out of gear. What it doesn't do is fully engage with my foot off the pedal, and by that I mean I can find a gear and dump it but not spin the tires... it kind of just catches up with the tach and rolls along without breaking traction.

So whats that about? the factory dual-mass flywheel doing whatever it does after 20 years of abuse? Is this why people convert to the single-mass or is this indicating that its been converted (maybe poorly?) I'm going to pressure flush and bleed the master/slave this weekend and see if it changes anything.

Even if its a M, you're not exactly going to be able to roast them willy nilly. This is a ~25 year old car design you're talking about here.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

there's one more company that i cant remember the name of but they're even lower than importrp...check google shopping

I'm not turning up much else, IRP has them for $96/rears and $150/fronts. Looks like everywhere else on google shopping has them at around $103-$105/rear and around $160/fronts. I'll keep looking.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

SuperDucky posted:

Even if its a M, you're not exactly going to be able to roast them willy nilly. This is a ~25 year old car design you're talking about here.

Right, its only a 2.8L, but it feels like an imaginary block of wood is taped up above the pedal and not letting it come up that last inch to engage fully. The opposite of other clutch hydraulics ive worn out that feel like it would disengage if i could only depress the pedal another inch... if that makes any sense. Other than that i saw nothing wrong with clutch operation throughout the trip and around town.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bacon Hat posted:

The canonical test for a dead clutch is to get going 30mph or so, put it in fourth and absolutely floor it. You'll be able to pretty clearly feel the engine revving faster than the car's accelerating. I would suspect the clutch more than a flywheel yet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bacon Hat posted:

Right, its only a 2.8L, but it feels like an imaginary block of wood is taped up above the pedal and not letting it come up that last inch to engage fully. The opposite of other clutch hydraulics ive worn out that feel like it would disengage if i could only depress the pedal another inch... if that makes any sense. Other than that i saw nothing wrong with clutch operation throughout the trip and around town.

So you can pull the clutch pedal up the rest of the way? If so, you have a baad master or slave (or it's leaked fluid from the lines).

Otherwise this just sounds like a spanked clutch that's slipping.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

The canonical test for a dead clutch is to get going 30mph or so, put it in fourth and absolutely floor it. You'll be able to pretty clearly feel the engine revving faster than the car's accelerating. I would suspect the clutch more than a flywheel yet.

Will try, thanks for the heads up.

Motronic posted:

So you can pull the clutch pedal up the rest of the way? If so, you have a baad master or slave (or it's leaked fluid from the lines).

Otherwise this just sounds like a spanked clutch that's slipping.

You know i have not tried physically pulling the pedal up, but i did plan on pressure flush/bleeding it. will also try, thanks

In the event its still got the dual-mass flywheel when i have it replaced, does anyone recommend conversion to the single-mass type instead of putting a new dual-mass in?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you might have a clutch delay valve that should be deleted before you flush it.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

you might have a clutch delay valve that should be deleted before you flush it.

Right, i just read about those in the same places i found people shittalking the dual-mass, wouldn't be surprised if mine was missing both.

I'm also shopping out the front struts and mounts, probably going with the KYBs here http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/kyb-front-left-gas-strut-333920/19171655-P and the Lemfoerders here http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lemfoerder-strut-mount-l3030296056lem/10780064-P?searchTerm=strut+mounts

Do those sound bad for normal use?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's not showing any prices for me

you should get the oem part numbers from bmwfans.info and cross shop a few stores

autohausaz
rmeuropean
ecstuning

are 3 main stores i use

lemforder is a good brand, so is meyle. avoid URO brand parts at all costs.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
:cmon:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/bmw,1997,328i,2.8l+l6,1011957,suspension,strut,7584

Bilstein B4s are a crapton cheaper from Rockauto or Summit, same with the KYBs.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

that's not showing any prices for me

you should get the oem part numbers from bmwfans.info and cross shop a few stores

autohausaz
rmeuropean
ecstuning

are 3 main stores i use

lemforder is a good brand, so is meyle. avoid URO brand parts at all costs.

Wrar posted:

:cmon:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/bmw,1997,328i,2.8l+l6,1011957,suspension,strut,7584

Bilstein B4s are a crapton cheaper from Rockauto or Summit, same with the KYBs.

yea wowo, i just been defaulting to using a retailmenot code on advance for small stuff. cool and more thanks

now that i think of it, using a code and picking up in one of the 4 stores next to me was the driving factor

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Bacon Hat posted:

In the event its still got the dual-mass flywheel when i have it replaced, does anyone recommend conversion to the single-mass type instead of putting a new dual-mass in?

Valero makes a single mass conversion for it. Don't get a lightweight FW unless you want stupid amounts of chatter. I have a lightweight in mine and that bitch is coming straight out if I ever have to drop the trans again. Which hopefully I don't.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Valero makes a single mass conversion for it. Don't get a lightweight FW unless you want stupid amounts of chatter. I have a lightweight in mine and that bitch is coming straight out if I ever have to drop the trans again. Which hopefully I don't.

Cool thanks! unfortunately im at the mercy of the trans shop i take it to when it comes to kit selection, im not equipped (or skilled enough) to do lower engine/transmission work. So far i think ill go with the one shop that asked if i had the conversion and offered to do one. everyone else in the lakes area either hates or is afraid of these things, or a dealer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cobalt60 posted:

jesus it's like an anti-chrome sentiment thesis

It went for twenty four thousand dollars.

:psypop:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://gripforce.com/fx-stage-2-clutch-kit-and-chromoly-flywheel-bmw-325-328-525-528-m3-z3-e34-e36-e39-v6/

I used that one for my M3. 14lb flywheel, gear rattle is barely noticable when daily driving (only when it's fairly hot and you have the radio off) and it feels much better than a DMF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Quoting myself in my ongoing lean code saga of sadness, updated my quoted posted

Wrar posted:

E46 330i still stumbles and throws codes p0171 p0174.

I've replaced:
MAF
Intake boot
misc Vacuum lines.
Jet Sucking Pump (gently caress that thing)
Entire CCV System
Upstream 02 Sensors.
Spark Plugs

Did the fuel filter tonight. E46 330i still stumbles and throws codes p0171 p0174. On the upshot it does start more easily and seems to run a little better.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 11, 2016