Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Thor 2 not good.

Yikes.

Why didn't they just hire Matthew Vaughn again?? First Class was one of the only X-men movies I still like on the rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Yikes.

Why didn't they just hire Matthew Vaughn again?? First Class was one of the only X-men movies I still like on the rewatch.

He did (partially) write it.

Edit: Oops, I was looking at DofP.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

I'd rather an actual female superhero with actual super-powers over a lady who's really good at doing that leglock around the neck sweep thing that Black Widow always does.

Spinning hurricanranas rule.

She also did a Rock Bottom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've seen praise for Cyclops and Jean in the movie in several reviews. So at least maybe a future movie might be better. I hear Storm is completely wasted though. Apparently the Magneto/Xavier/Mystique stuff is just the exact same recycled situations from previous movies. And Quicksilver's role is apparently about the same as it was in DOFP. Apocalypse himself did not impress many people in the reviews.

The word is that they did early screenings and lifted the embargo early because they didn't have much buzz on the film. This might end up biting them in the rear end.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh wow, a X-Men related property being boring and centered around the same tired two or three ideas repeated ad infinitum, with a nonsensical and ill-advised appearance by Wolverine? Who. Could've. Seen. That. Coming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except you probably said that the last 2 times too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Never saw Days of Future Past, to be honest. Got scared off after watching First Class again and finding it near-intolerable the second time around, and that's apparently the "good one".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

The point is that's the majority of female characters in the MCU so far, they've been like Hill or Black Widow or Peggy or Sharon where their "superpower" is that they're really good at fighting people. Black Widow gets it the worst because, just like Hawkeye, the fact that she can take out five or six goons all at once makes her look less important when she's standing next to a guy who can control lightning.

Scarlet Witch has been sidelined up to this point but there needs to be more fantastic female characters of her scale. I'm tired of badass women who are basically especially gifted ninjas over loving super heroes.

A better way of looking at it is that Widow's the most independent of the Avengers, basically because all the rest can be severely disabled by removing their toys (with the exception of Cap, who's just somewhat downgraded). Remove the Iron Man or War Machine armour and you've got a pair of middle-aged dudes who are in decent shape. Take away Mjolnir and Thor's apparently just a guy (based on the first movie). Put Widow in jeans and a T-shirt and she'll still tear apart the whole gang and steal the secret plans you hid in the floorboards.

I mean, the 'popular' opinion among moviegoers is Batman's cool because he's a regular guy, not a superpowered alien, but Widow's boring because she's a regular woman not a superpowered alien? Not that that's actually anyone's opinion, given that polls indicate most people actually want a Widow movie, which wouldn't be the case if people felt she was dull.

Also: Toxx? Dude? I love ya, but claiming She-Hulk isn't related meaningfully to the Hulk? What's next? Coke Zero is a totally different soda to Diet Coke?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

some not redundant female marvel heroes are possible for a thunderbolts movie now the big man himself is in the pokey

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

They should shake it up and adapt either X-Factor or X-Statix imo- nobody is going to recognize the characters in either, but both give good setups for entertaining films that can be lower stakes and not rehash the same dramatic beats endlessly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't want anything bad happening to Hawk Family because killing off wives/families to make characters into the 'right' versions is lame as hell in comics, it's probably lame in movies too.

It's also why I hope Deadpool 2 doesn't open with Deadpool's girlfriend getting a bridge dropped on her even though there's like a 90% chance of that happening

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also like Hawkdad. They hit a good balance in Civil War and AoU where he had a niche, personality-wise that is more like Clint in the comics, compared to Broody-McBroodson from Avengers 1. (Granted, in the final battle Whedon tried to give him a few one-liners in the first, but it didn't help because it was like 2 lines of dialogue in a 2 hour film)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Have they explained why Thor is gonna break up with Jane?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

LGD posted:

They should shake it up and adapt either X-Factor or X-Statix imo- nobody is going to recognize the characters in either, but both give good setups for entertaining films that can be lower stakes and not rehash the same dramatic beats endlessly.

They're doing New Mutants and X-Factor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaz-L posted:

Remove the Iron Man or War Machine armour and you've got a pair of middle-aged dudes who are in decent shape. Take away Mjolnir and Thor's apparently just a guy (based on the first movie). Put Widow in jeans and a T-shirt and she'll still tear apart the whole gang and steal the secret plans you hid in the floorboards.

Well, IM3 had an extended sequence showing that take away the Iron Man armor and Tony Stark is still a guy who can build arsenals with Christmas decorations and a quick trip to Home Depot. :v:

That being said, I agree that now's a perfect time for a solo Black Widow movie. Not familiar enough with the comics to have any idea who her villain or supporting cast would be, but I'm a guy and I'd watch a Black Widow movie opening weekend without hesitation.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AnonSpore posted:

Have they explained why Thor is gonna break up with Jane?

Because their chemistry is so bad their kiss was a post credits scene?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

mycot posted:

I don't want anything bad happening to Hawk Family because killing off wives/families to make characters into the 'right' versions is lame as hell in comics, it's probably lame in movies too.

It's also why I hope Deadpool 2 doesn't open with Deadpool's girlfriend getting a bridge dropped on her even though there's like a 90% chance of that happening

Same. Morena Baccarin also seemed to have pretty good chemistry with Reynolds, so it'd be a real shame if they didn't keep her around. On the other hand one of Deadpool's defining traits is a tragic personal life, so I don't know that keeping him in a stable relationship was ever really in the cards. Maybe give her an approximation of Comic Book Vanessa's powers as a side effect of curing/stabilizing the Techno-Organic/Legacy Virus infection that Cable has traveled back in time to stop during the next film?

e:

Aphrodite posted:

They're doing New Mutants and X-Factor.
Oh I'd heard about New Mutants, but not X-Factor. I was pretty pumped for New Mutants, but honestly I'm wayyy more excited for X-Factor if they do it right.

e2: Wait are you sure you don't mean X-Force? Because that will be fun, but is very different from X-Factor (by which I mean the X-Factor Investigations run by Maddrox, not the super-team).

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, the 'popular' opinion among moviegoers is Batman's cool because he's a regular guy, not a superpowered alien, but Widow's boring because she's a regular woman not a superpowered alien? Not that that's actually anyone's opinion, given that polls indicate most people actually want a Widow movie, which wouldn't be the case if people felt she was dull.

Well, you're comparing two different companies. Batman's cool because he's a regular guy in a superhero collection that more resembles a pantheon of Greek Gods (in Wonder Woman's case, that's literally true) and he's able to hold his weight. And even then that's only true because he's got a bunch of cool toys, as you pointed out. With Marvel, specifically the MCU, that's less true - there's much less stratification in terms of raw power between the weakest Avenger and the strongest. Even by that raw power differential being far closer, Black Widow feels specifically minimized in both importance and power as a reflection of the subconscious sexism that guides the series' creative direction, because she's just not quite enough to hack it with the big boys. Again, it's not even unique to Black Widow - Hawkeye gets it too - but it's worse for her because she was the only female superhero until Ultron.

I dunno. I want more female superheroes, but Black Widow feels like a half-step and feels like a distinctly B-tier superhero as defined up to this point. Maybe I shouldn't consider the perfect the enemy of the good but that's how I feel.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

LGD posted:

Same. Morena Baccarin also seemed to have pretty good chemistry with Reynolds, so it'd be a real shame if they didn't keep her around. On the other hand one of Deadpool's defining traits is a tragic personal life, so I don't know that keeping him in a stable relationship was ever really in the cards. Maybe give her an approximation of Comic Book Vanessa's powers as a side effect of curing/stabilizing the Techno-Organic/Legacy Virus infection that Cable has traveled back in time to stop during the next film?

Should go the Austin Powers route and just write Vanessa out in the first scene, say she was a Doombot or something.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Also: Toxx? Dude? I love ya, but claiming She-Hulk isn't related meaningfully to the Hulk? What's next? Coke Zero is a totally different soda to Diet Coke?

I wouldn't disagree she's related meaningfully. I take issue with her being characterized as a Hulk "derivative", which to me feels like the same sort of mentality that led to Goyer saying that she's a character created just for the Hulk to gently caress. It feels disingenuous and rejective because her name and one part of her origin relies on Banner.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Opopanax posted:

Should go the Austin Powers route and just write Vanessa out in the first scene, say she was a Doombot or something.

That's what I just said I didn't want to happen!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I wouldn't disagree she's related meaningfully. I take issue with her being characterized as a Hulk "derivative", which to me feels like the same sort of mentality that led to Goyer saying that she's a character created just for the Hulk to gently caress. It feels disingenuous and rejective because her name and one part of her origin relies on Banner.

Well the problem is that you seem to be thinking derivative is always sign of being a lesser character. It's not. She's absolutely derivative and a great character. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm really hoping against hope that they're gonna use the Captain Marvel movie to suddenly frontload a bunch of iconic-ish female characters all at once, like Jennifer, Jessica, Monica, Abigail Brand...and, hell, throw Hope Van Dyne in there too. It's the perfect opportunity and context to highlight a women-heavy heroic cast, and Marvel has shown multiple times by now that they're capable of doing ensemble stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm really hoping against hope that they're gonna use the Captain Marvel movie to suddenly frontload a bunch of iconic-ish female characters all at once, like Jennifer, Jessica, Monica, Abigail Brand...and, hell, throw Hope Van Dyne in there too. It's the perfect opportunity and context to highlight a women-heavy heroic cast, and Marvel has shown multiple times by now that they're capable of doing ensemble stories.

Abigail Brand is a mutant and mostly has appeared in X-Books. I'd guess she's with Fox.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Derivative has inherent negative connotations as a word and is colloquially used as a synonym for "unoriginal". If people want to say She-Hulk is inspired by the Hulk, reactive to the Hulk, then yeah sure I'll agree wholeheartedly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel is just going to be Sex and the City but at the end she flies and punches aliens for 15 minutes.

It will bomb and Hollywood will blame women for not knowing what they want.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Captain Marvel is just going to be Sex and the City but at the end she flies and punches aliens for 15 minutes.

It will bomb and Hollywood will blame women for not knowing what they want.

Combine it with the suggestion to incorporate other female heroes and just call it Marvel Divas

maybe have the first Marvel-Disney/Fox crossover be a cameo appearance by Sue Storm at a brunch where she dishes some dirt about her private life with Reed and fantasies about Namor

edit: ignoring ownership rights, how do we feel about a main brunch lineup of Jennifer Walters, Carol Danvers, Sue Storm, Monica Rambeau, Monet St. Croix, and Emma Frost?

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just do an A-Force movie and called it "Captain Marvel".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Never saw Days of Future Past, to be honest. Got scared off after watching First Class again and finding it near-intolerable the second time around, and that's apparently the "good one".

Well First Class was "the good one" at a time when the other recent X-movies were The Last Stand and the solo Wolverine movies. Days of Future Past is "the good one" now.

And poo poo as a DC comics fan I loving wish "Thor 2 bad" was the worst I had to expect going to see a movie with my favorite characters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

X-O posted:

Abigail Brand is a mutant and mostly has appeared in X-Books. I'd guess she's with Fox.
Give her the Wanda treatment. :v: Play up the alien hybrid thing and downplay dat mutant poo poo which is technically a big ol' retcon anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If Fox ever cared enough to challenge that Squirrel Girl thing I don't think it would hold up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Hang around the X-Men too long and you catch "Actually a Mutant Syndrome"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I wonder if Marvel signing the X-Men movie rights away was a good or bad thing for the MCU as a whole.

The Bad: A whole bunch of lesser-known superheroes are inaccessible, Deadpool's inaccessible, Emma Frost is inaccessible.

The Good: The MCU isn't riddled with a billion Wolverine appearances that would put the '90s to shame, we don't have periodic Xavier check-ins every movie.

Like, no FF for the MCU is a Super Bad Thing, not only because it's made bad movies but because the FF would fit naturally into the MCU as established and, arguably more important, no Doctor Doom fuckin' sucks. And no Galactus is real bad for whenever they decide to do more Cosmic Marvel stuff. But it's hard to argue that the mutants and the MCU haven't created two better universes from the split without some notable exceptions that work in both universes.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 10, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Too much of the X-Men mythos is too up its own butt and doesn't even acknowledge or fit well with the rest of the MU. For decades they let them be the special snowflakes, with even their own cosmic aliens and stuff that rarely interacted with everyone else's cosmic aliens.

We lose a lot of great characters but I think it's better in the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SirDan3k posted:

Hang around the X-Men too long and you catch "Actually a Mutant Syndrome"

It's not too bad usually unless you start liking redheads, that's the point of no return.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

X-O posted:

Because their chemistry is so bad their kiss was a post credits scene?

I mean the in universe reason. Portman clearly didn't give a poo poo during the movies but Thor is head over heels for Jane, right?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Too much of the X-Men mythos is too up its own butt and doesn't even acknowledge or fit well with the rest of the MU. For decades they let them be the special snowflakes, with even their own cosmic aliens and stuff that rarely interacted with everyone else's cosmic aliens.

We lose a lot of great characters but I think it's better in the end.

Well the rest of the MU doesn't acknowledge or fit well with them either- i.e. there have been a whole host of human-rights violations committed against mutants that the Avengers have been totally AWOL on. It generally works better even in the comics if you pretend both sides of the MU don't exist simultaneously unless you need them to, because to do otherwise invites a lot of "why didn't you call X for help?" questions that don't really have good answers as the X-Men/Avengers can only plausibly spend so much time off-world or in other dimensions.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The X-Men not being in the MCU is a good thing I think. I agree that the FF not being their sucks. I'm not sure I need another stab at FF movie, and I say that as probably one of bigger FF fans on this board (I had a subscription at my comic shop for it in the '90s when it was not very good). But not having some of the other characters that license entails does kind of suck. And having the FF pop into other movies occasionally would be fun. Seeing Scott Lang and Hank Pym need help from Reed on something would be a small cool use. Seeing Thing in an Avengers movie would feel right. Seeing Spidey fight Doom would be awesome. Seeing Silver Surfer tie up with the Guardians would be neat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Derivative has inherent negative connotations as a word and is colloquially used as a synonym for "unoriginal". If people want to say She-Hulk is inspired by the Hulk, reactive to the Hulk, then yeah sure I'll agree wholeheartedly.

Yes, but you defined Superman's Cousin as derivative but Hulk's Cousin isn't. You're moving the goalposts because you like one but not the other, and no-one is using it as a judgement on how good or valuable characters derived from pre-existing properties can be.

You won't find many bigger She-Hulk fans than me. And lots of people ADORE Peter David's Supergirl, but both characters absolutely owe their origins both in and out of story to their male predecessors. It sucks that it's so common, but it's the truth and digging your head into the sand doesn't change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of weird how terrible January Jones was in First Class because she's been good in other things.

• Locked thread