Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i've been having fun with korg gadget at lunchtime

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/doomed-channel

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/uncontrollable-trade

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/level-change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

bought a case with a PSU, was gonna "fill it up 1 module a paycheck, maybe 2".

filled the entire thing in two weeks.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
looks like a sick box
now you need a couple joystick controllers to fly that thing to the next dimension :retrogames:

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Startyde posted:

looks like a sick box
now you need a couple joystick controllers to fly that thing to the next dimension :retrogames:

it's the most fun I've had in the studio for a looong time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
There's a Hartke 250 head at the pawn shop for 47 dollars. I am tempted to get it and a 1x10 cab and a bass again.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Gadget owns, I have so many little ideas stored in that app I need to revisit

i finished my lunchbox the other week, owns

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
gee tayter how come your mom lets you have two rows of tiles

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

im on vaca in NYC for a few days and went to Control in brooklyn where they have some enormous modular setups and various other hardware hooked up to speakers and ready for customers to play around with (a good variety given the small/boutiquey size of the place)

spent most of the time getting real basic robot farts out of a pair of mother32s because dang the tabletop sized modular racks they had are pretty intimidating when you only know the very basics with that stuff

afterwards i realized i kinda preferred the a4 i currently have to the modular stuff, i can get all kinds of neat sounds out of that thing with what felt like a fraction of the trial and error/dead ends. but this is probably because id already had many hours of experience constantly toggling through the a4's barely-labeled menus

anyway Control is real cool check em out if you're in the area that's my story cya.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

There's a Hartke 250 head at the pawn shop for 47 dollars. I am tempted to get it and a 1x10 cab and a bass again.

i picked up a hartke lh500 for cheap thinking i was gettin g a good deal. an IC board replacement and a failed power supply later and i regret not just buying a decent cheap microhead instead

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Spent the evening rearranging my stuff and getting everything in its place, and figuring out all the routing. Recorded this in one take, which amazes me

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/everything-works

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Spent the evening rearranging my stuff and getting everything in its place, and figuring out all the routing. Recorded this in one take, which amazes me

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/everything-works

noice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

im on vaca in NYC for a few days and went to Control in brooklyn where they have some enormous modular setups and various other hardware hooked up to speakers and ready for customers to play around with (a good variety given the small/boutiquey size of the place)

MeMe Antenna in the Mini Mall on Bedford has some fun stuff too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stux posted:

i picked up a hartke lh500 for cheap thinking i was gettin g a good deal. an IC board replacement and a failed power supply later and i regret not just buying a decent cheap microhead instead

eh i went back and they sold it. Still on the hunt.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
so I'm getting a real audio interface for grown ups Friday, a motu 828x

it has optical inputs too, like 16 channels

what the hell do I do with 16 channels of optical inputs

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I mean like is there a box you can get that has eight TSR jacks and outputs optical

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Tayter Swift posted:

I mean like is there a box you can get that has eight TSR jacks and outputs optical
behringer ada8000 unless you want fancy rear end preamps

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

googling that soundcard I don't see 16 opticals ins 'n outs. only two (A and B).

lots of analog ins and outs are always useful! I see it has 8 of both, should be good for multitracking stuff, running stuff in and out through hardware FX or whatever.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

an 828 mk II was my sole interface for many years, and it was loving great. if you want to use those extra ins, you can indeed just get an external ADC with lightpipe output. i only ever used mine to record bands so i used an octopre as the front end for my optical ins, bringing me to 16 channels

https://us.focusrite.com/mic-pres/octopre-mkii

trivial to set up, sounded great

Granbar posted:

googling that soundcard I don't see 16 opticals ins 'n outs. only two (A and B).

you can input/output more than one channel over a single lightpipe in/out

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

krysmopompas posted:

behringer ada8000 unless you want fancy rear end preamps

on cool thanks :)
(I don't need the extra channels yet but maybe at some point)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
having real dacs is so cool, the first time i hooked up my (dc-coupled) echo layla, i was like WHERE THE gently caress DID ALL THIS BASS COME FROM

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

hey yosposers

making this happen again so here's your excuse to gearwank for half a minute~

do something quickly and lovely enough and you can write it off because of the day

what fun!

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
reaktor blocks for interfacing with external hw coming soon, noice

i am legit excited about this. theres an open sores thing called ctrlr which is kinda similar in concept, but this is way cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qU1fw5rjJY

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

got a rytm off ebay to go with the a4 :toot:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
for those of you on ios the new moog synth app has everybody's boners a-twitchin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGCg6M-yxmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_-Kt4jfFs

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 7, 2016

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
model 15 is so loving good

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

a lot of iOS synths look p cool, but do any of u actually use them in tracks? or just for loving around with?

i made a few decent loops in Korg Gadget. maybe i should do some more with those

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i was doodling around with stuff for an actual track in model 15 the other day. not sure if i'll keep it yet, but it easily sounds nice enough to be usable

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Granbar posted:

a lot of iOS synths look p cool, but do any of u actually use them in tracks? or just for loving around with?

a guy wrote a concerto for tc-11 and orchestra, which was pretty cool. and i've seen rock groups play with it on stage.

everyone has a different approach to incorporating their gear into their music. personally i've always made a point to create something with software that i buy. like, i can go all the way back to mac os 8 and point to pieces / songs / performances for all the apps i bought.

and then there are people that will always be one more piece of gear away from 'being able to' make the music they want. i strongly advise not being one of those

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i just dont see how you can practically take iphone/ipad deetle doodles and get them into a multitracker sanely. is there midi clock sync between devices or anything?

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Jonny 290 posted:

i just dont see how you can practically take iphone/ipad deetle doodles and get them into a multitracker sanely. is there midi clock sync between devices or anything?

so many ways of doing that. . . with the hybrid fucketry i do with a buddy with have OSC and network midi running and can transmit the data. Normally when we're just jamming i have 2 preset iPads under a table I control with midi controllers.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i basically just use it as a sound module for a midi keyboard and record performances instead of sequencing/arranging in the ipad. that format is just too twiddly for me to want to gently caress with that much. i also export loops and performances from stuff like samplr and werkbench for use in tracks that are actually composed on a desktop. for exploratory samplefuckery there are some ios apps that just stomp any comparable thing on the desktop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

enotnert posted:

OSC and network midi .

ding, totally forgot this is an apple thing. nice!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's really easy to get tracks into Dropbox from iOS, a lot of the daws will even zip them for you

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
the stuff i do jamming with a friend has me pushing my analog stuff into software, re-exporting via analog to his mixer then flying into another rig.

There are a lot of ways of going about it, it's just according to how crazy you want to go, but if you have a center controlled DAW, you can slice up midi controllers to control different soft synths on tablets and poo poo gets weird real quick.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

for exploratory samplefuckery there are some ios apps that just stomp any comparable thing on the desktop

got any reccs? samplr looks dope

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

egoist! and borderlands granular

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Granbar posted:

got any reccs? samplr looks dope

my faves are Samplr, SampleWiz, Werkbench, iElectribe, Figure, Funkbox, Patterning, Model 15, Animoog, and the various Arturia synth apps

i always put in a special plug for Werkbench because it's unlike anything else and i feel like it's really under-appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVw0N4V9M-Y

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
speaking of, my replacement seaboard got here today and it works p great with model 15 straight out the box. the only thing you have to do to make it perfect is change up the pitch bend range from the defaults in Model 15. unfortunately that change isn't persistent so you have to do it for every patch, which sucks, but it's like two seconds to do

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
current seaboard skillz status: less than this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-hzbG5FzI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Was all ready to record a bitchin' atmospheric sequence and the power cuts off :cool:

• Locked thread