Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Best card: Spiritmonger
Best utility card: Pernicious Deed
Best flavor: Delver and/or Delver 2.0 (and Delver 3.0 when they print it in the moon set) :v:
Best art: Probably OG Lightning Bolt.

Pontius Pilate posted:

So many wrong opinions. It's clearly lightning bolt. Just look at a beta one. And then cast it.

Judge Bolts or nothing :colbert:

ShaneB posted:

Why, it's a perfectly fun name that isn't anywhere near as dumb as Goblin Dank-Memers.

This post is as wrong as it could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ThePeavstenator posted:

I didn't know "CoCo" annoyed people.

From now on when I cast it I'll call it "Coo-Coo CoCo" and then when it resolves say "gonna find some puffs" or something equally insufferable to put all my opponents on maximum tilt.

It's mcmagic; he gets annoyed by decks that aren't capable of winning the pro tour so it shouldn't surprise you that he doesn't like your nickname for competitive staple Collected Company, which demands respect as a winning Spike card.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Utility: Mana Severance. Always been too scared to include it in decks though.

Flavour: Apocalypse

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ThePeavstenator posted:

Is MaRo basically the George Lucas of Magic? Great at focus testing and finding ways to put marketing in the game-play but doesn't understand why people like/dislike sets and mechanics?

RoE plays nothing like most limited sets, and a lot of people didn't get it. People that LOOOOVE limited loved it because it was deep and had weird stuff, a lot like Innistrad. However Innistrad complimented its crazy spider spawning /burning vengeance decks with some good 'ol creature bashin. RoE was just weird durdly battlecruisers that some people didn't like/didn't get.

Maro basically never talks about magic in terms of constructed, although he usually does appreciate flavor stuff. I think he just really hated RoE because it wasn't under his control and he wouldn't have done it that way.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Alris posted:

Utility: Mana Severance. Always been too scared to include it in decks though.

Niiiiiice. I Played turbo zvi when it was in standard. Talk about great decks. It's like eggs except somehow impossibly more obnoxious.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Favorite(utility): Mulldrifter. It just feels so good.
Favorite(flavor): gotta go with whoever said boldwyr intimidator. If rules text can be art, "Cowards can't block warriors" is it.
What's everyone's favorite draft-around uncommon? I love spider spawning like everyone else, but I have to give the nod to goblinslide. What a fun card.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ThePeavstenator posted:

From now on when I cast it I'll call it "Coo-Coo CoCo" and then when it resolves say "gonna find some puffs" or something equally insufferable to put all my opponents on maximum tilt.
Whenever someone asks if CoCo resolves I tell them "go CoCo those puffs" or "coo-coo it up" or the like and every once in a while someone will laugh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's mcmagic; he gets annoyed by decks that aren't capable of winning the pro tour so it shouldn't surprise you that he doesn't like your nickname for competitive staple Collected Company, which demands respect as a winning Spike card.

Just nothing that deep. It just gives me the douche chills.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Eela6 posted:

What's everyone's favorite draft-around uncommon?

Does Thundercloud Shaman count?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

What's everyone's favorite draft-around uncommon? I love spider spawning like everyone else, but I have to give the nod to goblinslide. What a fun card.

1. Surreal Memoir
2. Burning Vengeance
3. Secret Plans

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 9, 2016

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Some Numbers posted:

Does Thundercloud Shaman count?

Sure. They don't have to be hidden gems. It's a rad card!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThePeavstenator posted:

:allears:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

Oh well you're right on this I am a massive douche

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Niiiiiice. I Played turbo zvi when it was in standard. Talk about great decks. It's like eggs except somehow impossibly more obnoxious.

Also saw play in one of the two PT Tinker Goblin Charbelcher decks

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love that there was a deck that used Final Fortune on Isochron Scepter and Platinum Angel.

Final Fantasy. :v:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Coco Chanel is a cool and good magic card.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

mcmagic posted:

Quoting this workout context so I can show it to a friend later

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
In response to Coco I'll Koco. Yolo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It does amuse me that two of the best cards in dtk are coco and koco

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

It does amuse me that two of the best cards in dtk are coco and koco

Just call it the fixed pod.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Just call it the fixed pod.

but that's far less amusing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

thank you thread because coco puffs is the perfect name for my gimmick standard g/w humans counters deck.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Yoko Ono played Coco with Bono. It was a no-no, now they have mono.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I love that there was a deck that used Final Fortune on Isochron Scepter and Platinum Angel.

Final Fantasy. :v:

Wait, if you used Final Fortune on a Scepter and activated it every turn you would get infinite turns right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AceClown posted:

Wait, if you used Final Fortune on a Scepter and activated it every turn you would get infinite turns right?
If plats is in play, sure

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AceClown posted:

Well, yes, but you'd lose the game at the end of each of those turns.

That's why you use Platinum Angel. Or Angel's Grace, I suppose.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

What about that one artefact that lets you end a turn early? would that work?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Eela6 posted:

Molten Nursery, because r/x/x devoid was the best to draft in 3x bfz. Second would be thrumming bird in mm15. Deck wasn't very good, but when it worked it was awesome.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
After a run of poor performance with my go-to modern deck Merfolk I've built BW Eldrazi Hatebears for a change of pace (and because I already own the most expensive cards - Vials.

I feel like I went from a super fair deck to a super unfair deck. Flickering Arbiters or Flashing Stranglers feels so good to for me and so bad for everyone else.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

What about that one artefact that lets you end a turn early? would that work?

yes, you activate sundial when the final fortune trigger goes on the stack, ending your turn and exiling the lose trigger.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Balon posted:

After a run of poor performance with my go-to modern deck Merfolk I've built BW Eldrazi Hatebears for a change of pace (and because I already own the most expensive cards - Vials.

I feel like I went from a super fair deck to a super unfair deck. Flickering Arbiters or Flashing Stranglers feels so good to for me and so bad for everyone else.

Is this the list you're running? http://deckbox.org/sets/1378759 It feels super tempting but I'm not looking forward to re-buying Vials, hopefully they'll be in Eternal Masters.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Drafting the thrummingbird deck and having it work is better than cake.

Favorite utility card: Food Chain, it does all the best things and enables the best kind of shenanigans.

Flavor card: since Anarchy and m10 bolt were mentioned booby trap was so cool and did exactly what it should do.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Is this the list you're running? http://deckbox.org/sets/1378759 It feels super tempting but I'm not looking forward to re-buying Vials, hopefully they'll be in Eternal Masters.

Ya that's pretty close to the list. I'm running 4 Thalias and 1 Smasher. Also not running the Thoughtsiezes main.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Utility: Counterspell. UU gently caress you is just so ingrained that two untapped islands is one of the scariest boards in magic.
Flavor: Summoning Trap. The portcullis opens and the beast emerges, come on, that rules. You really feel like a dungeon master when someone counters your birds of paradise and emrakul emerges.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I have lost two drafts in a row tonight to Arlinn Kord. :suicide:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

legoman727 posted:

I have lost two drafts in a row tonight to Arlinn Kord. :suicide:

Stop joining a pod with her then

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Even if they are you know they'll be mythic.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

PJOmega posted:

Even if they are you know they'll be mythic.

It was a rare in Modern Masters so I doubt that

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Finally 5/0'd a league with known best deck Mono-Blue Tron. Highlights include my opponent casting an Ad Nauseam, Pact of Negationing my Dispel, and me stealing their Ad Nauseam with Commandeer to draw 4 cards (to which my opponent commented, "lol that was sweet",) Chalice on 0 after binning a Wurmcoil with Thirst for Knowledge against Living End, turn 2 Chalice of the Void on 1, turn 4 Chalice of the Void on 2 against Storm.

So related to that: What's the play here? I feel like Desperate Ravings is correct but I'm pretty bad at taking the right card against Storm. I'd be more inclined to take Grapeshot if I thought they could actually kill the Thought-Knot on their next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The play is to email that to LSV to see if he uses it in his column and you get $50 or whatever

• Locked thread