Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what would happen if Steve got a second dose of the formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

MrJacobs posted:

Nope, Erskine was the only man who perfected the formula, but his death meant the formula was lost. Everything else created to make new super soldiers resulted in massive problems and side effects. This was used as a cheap and easy way to make all kinds of stupid and awesome villains over the years like Winter Soldier, NUKE, Omega Red and others.

MCU Abomination's serum made him have bone growths and poo poo even before mainlining Hulk blood.

Hydra's version of the Super Soldier Serum made Red Skull and I guess an updated version made Bucky into the Winter Soldier without the deformities. Hydra's Super Soldier Serum v2 seems pretty good as long as you don't brainwash them afterward. Howard Stark's attempted super soldier serum apparently made people psychotic. The US Military used the wrong kind of radiation (Gamma vs Vita) and created the Hulk.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Hydra's version of the Super Soldier made Red Skull and I guess an updated version made Bucky into the Winter Soldier without the deformities. Hydra's Super Soldier Serum v2 seems pretty good as long as you don't brainwash them afterward. Howard Stark's attempted super soldier serum apparently made people psychotic. The US Military used the wrong kind of radiation (Gamma vs Vita) and created the Hulk.

Red Skulls serum predates the Rogers Serum. Bucky's serum was made by Zola and given to him while in HYDRA prison.

Misread post. moving on.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

Hydra's version of the Super Soldier made Red Skull and I guess an updated version made Bucky into the Winter Soldier without the deformities. Hydra's Super Soldier Serum v2 seems pretty good as long as you don't brainwash them afterward. Howard Stark's attempted super soldier serum apparently made people psychotic. The US Military used the wrong kind of radiation (Gamma vs Vita) and created the Hulk.

Hydra's version was an unperfected version of the serum. And the Winter Soldier was both a non perfected serum and robotics to enhance his abilities even more to cap's level. They all had major flaws except for maybe Howard Stark's version where the subjects are already unhinged psycho killers to begin with.

I did really like the twist of the Hulk being a giant gently caress-up of having the wrong man in the wrong place when trying to make a new formula with gamma rays.

MacheteZombie posted:

That was the second dose that made the bone growths.

He fights Abom after the first dose and holds is own for a while before Hulk smashes him into a tree and breaks him.

Yeah but he only got a small dose the first time, the second time it seemed like he got the full dose and it hosed him up since it was an abandoned experiment to re-create the original formula.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Hydra's version was an unperfected version of the serum. And the Winter Soldier was both a non perfected serum and robotics to enhance his abilities even more to cap's level. They all had major flaws except for maybe Howard Stark's version where the subjects are already unhinged psycho killers to begin with.

I did really like the twist of the Hulk being a giant gently caress-up of having the wrong man in the wrong place when trying to make a new formula with gamma rays.

Yeah but he only got a small dose the first time, the second time it seemed like he got the full dose and it hosed him up since it was an abandoned experiment to re-create the original formula.

I haven't seen Hulk in a bit so I can't recall all the facts and the wiki is, well, a wiki, but it does say it's the original formula.

It is entirely possible that Ross gave Blonsky an overdose by mistake.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Burkion posted:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Flesh Tone Hulk, this checks out in my comic knowledge of Hulk naming schemes.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hand-sculpted by Liefeld himself

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Triple Pecs make for Triple Threats

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm about 99% sure that Blonsky did not get the original formula. Ross specifically mentions that there was an effort to recreate the super soldier serum and that they canned the project after too many failures and side effects. Ross mentions that he is starting him off with small doses, because it is an imperfect formula and he would pull him off of the stuff if he started to see any mental deterioration.

Also, the Marvel wiki says:

quote:

It should be noted that the serum used by Ross on Blonsky was most likely created from what the army could piece together of Dr. Reinstein's notes and research with analysis of Steve Rogers blood as all complete samples were destroyed right after Steve became the first successful super soldier.

And in Civil War it is a plot point that the serum was never perfectly recreated.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm about 99% sure that Blonsky did not get the original formula. Ross specifically mentions that there was an effort to recreate the super soldier serum and that they canned the project after too many failures and side effects. Ross mentions that he is starting him off with small doses, because it is an imperfect formula and he would pull him off of the stuff if he started to see any mental deterioration.

And in Civil War it is a plot point that the serum was never perfectly recreated.

Fair enough, I got the "original serum" directly from Blonsky's wiki page, but like I said I wasn't completely sure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I once saw a tweet or something from Liefeld which was something along the lines of "You draw one bad image of Captain America and people never let you forget it!" Keep on shining, you crazy diamond. :rolleyes:

Here's a guy trying to argue that the image isn't that bad and doing a terrible job.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's obvious Liefeld used that Schwarzenegger picture as reference with absolutely no thought to whether the pose was appropriate or not, then just mangled it to make it fit, swapping delts for traps and removing the whole left arm, which leaves the pecs making no sense.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Additionally there's the issue that in addition to the knock off serum Blonsky didn't get any radiation treatment.

Why did they not try adding vitarays to their serums anyways? That's a thing that Stark helps out with and they mention when treating 98lb weakling Steve Rogers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Some early X-Men Apocalypse reviews are starting to come out and they are ... less than flattering.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Timby posted:

Some early X-Men Apocalypse reviews are starting to come out and they are ... less than flattering.

That sucks. I'll wait for the rest of the reviews, but I'm not surprised. The X-series always has completely baffling and almost random drops and increases in quality.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

My friend went to a press screening and said he really liked it, about on the level of DOFP.

However he's inclined to be really generous to everything, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Timby posted:

I figured as much. I dunno, the trailers never grabbed me like the previous two movies did. The premise, the dialog, the action sequences shown, just none of it looked any good.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I figured as much. I dunno, the trailers never grabbed me like the previous two movies did. The premise, the dialog, the action sequences shown, just none of it looked any good.

It just looks really manufactured and effect-heavy. But I guess that's what you get when you have a dozen mutants with crazy, comicbook powers.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rurea posted:

It just looks really manufactured and effect-heavy. But I guess that's what you get when you have a dozen mutants with crazy, comicbook powers.

Actually I was wrong, this is the only cool thing from the trailers;

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
A bunch of Marvel Studios fans are going to get their hopes up that the X-Men are going to revert back to Disney, ignoring the fact that Deadpool just made a bajillion dollars.

It doesn't really seem to matter much at all if this movie is poorly received because Fox is developing a bunch of side projects with its mutant characters and the following mainline X-Men movies will be following the newly introduced characters from this film.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Timby posted:

BvS got panned too and it's a good movie, so whatever.

Never trust movie reviewers in general and double don't trust them when it comes to content like comic movies which are surrounded by fanboyism.

That said the trailers for it don't look great, but the previous movie was pretty good.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I watched Captain America 1 the other day, there was one dose of serum left and a hydra agent steals it. In the end, it breaks on the pavement. I thought it was pretty clear that the formula was lost.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wonder, if it is a big hit, what will the next X-Men be about? They've done DoFP, this is Apocalypse, what other big arcs are left? Will they try and dip into Morrison's run, or go back to the late 70s space opera stuff with the Shiar, or that Legacy business, or what?

I assume Mr. Sinister. He's the only huge villain I don't believe they've touched.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to take a better swing at the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Here's one thing I don't get: Why is Captain America so popular in China/Why was Batman v Superman so unpopular? Civil War just opened in China and did $95.6M, more than BvS has done in it's entire run there. What makes it so appealing, or what made BvS so unappealing? They fundamentally have the same basic plot, and it's all pretty white people slamming dicks together. Why was one so instantly and quickly well received while the other was wet fart noises?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to take a better swing at the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Especially with a new Jean Grey

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Here's one thing I don't get: Why is Captain America so popular in China/Why was Batman v Superman so unpopular? Civil War just opened in China and did $95.6M, more than BvS has done in it's entire run there. What makes it so appealing, or what made BvS so unappealing? They fundamentally have the same basic plot, and it's all pretty white people slamming dicks together. Why was one so instantly and quickly well received while the other was wet fart noises?

I would think that much of the movie being wrapped in symbolism the audience wouldn't care much for played a role.

But there was a drop off across the board. It wasn't just China.

I now await the million replies that tells me this wasn't the case.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Isn't Disneyland about to open there? They must be doing some serious marketing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I said come in! posted:

Actually I was wrong, this is the only cool thing from the trailers;

Lightning Teleportation is super rad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't know why Batman v Superman failed so spectacularly in China. Hell, even Ant-Man made $10M more in China than BvS did. But it wasn't just China. There were reports that it dropped off huge in a number of countries. I think it did really well in Mexico and Brazil though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's almost like BvS might be a disappointing movie for a large amount of people.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

It's almost like BvS might be a disappointing movie for a large amount of people.

Like that's ever stopped a big budget movie from making loads of cash.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BvS was a bad movie, that's why.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't disagree that it was a mess of a movie, but even that last Transformers movie made over three times as much it did in China. It was not worse than that movie and it had the biggest superheroes of all time in it. I understand it not making $300M+ in China, I don't understand how it made less than $100M though. That's some spectacular bombing as far as big blockbusters in China goes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

X-O posted:

Like that's ever stopped a big budget movie from making loads of cash.

Yes it has. Especially after opening weekend if it opens in another country first.

BvS got critically panned. That could easily hurt gate in countries with a later opening weekend.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

People keep bringing up old comic book story arcs to mine for movies, but why?

There's these established IPs full of characters that movie audiences obviously enjoy watching, why not write new stories within the framework of these worlds? It's not like most people watching Civil War either know or give a poo poo about the fact that it's based on some old comic book arc, they want to see these movie characters that have been established in prior films.

A lot of the problems in these movies (And the Netflix series) stem from the fact that they stay so close to to what was written in old comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

Yes it has. Especially after opening weekend if it opens in another country first.

BvS got critically panned. That could easily hurt gate in countries with a later opening weekend.

Well it opened on the same weekend here and in China and pretty much everywhere and I don't think the reviews from American media really affect the Chinese box office much judging how other big budget American blockbusters are received there.

• Locked thread