Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean She-Hulk might be the best consistently and independently portrayed female character Marvel has. She's been around with a solo book forever. I personally would love to see a Netflix series that's half or even mostly a law procedural with her. The logistics of that from a rights and special effects perspective makes it seem impossible at the moment but still it could be a great series. That doesn't mean she's not a derivative character though and they're gun shy about the actual Hulk right now nevermind what most people would consider just a female version no matter how wrong that descriptor is.

Yeah, I don't think She-Hulk is bad and I would love to see a legal show involving her and think it could be excellent. It just doesn't change what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, I'd argue the growth of She-Hulk led to growth for regular Hulk too. The idea that instead of unleashing her rage, that it released her sexuality or her extroverted side or her inhibitions, or whatever interpretation smarter people than I would care to make about it allowed for the shift to thinking about well, what about Banner led to his anger being the repressed part of him that the radiation let out, and that's basically what the last 30 years of Hulk comics have largely been about.

It's also why I liked Red She-Hulk, because it extended that theme by making it clear that Betty's Hulk form was fuelled by her frustration and spite at being Bruce's damsel in distress and her father's pawn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

X-O posted:

Deadpool did not prove that because Deadpool is not in the MCU.

I did not know that. Maybe the fact that I didn't know that and probably nobody else does either makes me still right? I'm honestly not sure!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

PunkBoy posted:

Also that sick leg headlock takedown/DDT combo. Just saw Civil War, and I one of the many things I loved was the fighting styles shown (although some of it had a bit too much shaky-cam).

Yeah, I missed the clean filming that Winter Soldier had. The opening sequence also looked strangely CGI'd for a Marvel film, especially since so much of it was practical stunt work. Something was just slightly off for me and I'm not sure what.

But that was sort my overall impression of the film, I liked it--maybe really liked it even, but I was expecting/hoping to love it. It was a solid B+ film, but it needed to be an A, especially following in the footsteps of Winter Soldier. I liked all the components, I agree with everyone who said that each character got to take the stage at least once, Black Panther and Spider-Man were loving aces, but it all didn't quite gel for me. It bugs me that I can't figure out why exactly. I'll have to see it again to suss that out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MH Knights posted:

At the end of IM3 did Tony completely removed the extremis virus from Pepper making her a normal human again? Or did Tony stabilize it so the Pepper did not have to worry about "regulating" but still have all of the extremis super powers? I think allowing Pepper to keep her extremis powers would be a good way to have her show up in a future movie as an actual hero and not just a love interest.

The dialogue suggested he completely removed it, but Pepper hasn't been seen since so who the hell knows. Pepper with Extremis would certainly be a unique power set in the MCU, both in effect and visuals (though according to the guys who did it, the effects for Extremis were a pain to do in post-IM3 interviews).

My problem with a hero Pepper, Extremis or armored, is how on earth she'd fit into any narrative at this point without an IM4. One of the more plausible theories I've heard about the Infinity War movies is that the first one features the standard extant Avengers, who get their poo poo wrecked and so turn to more unorthodox heroes with weirder and more extreme abilities like Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, and the Inhumans. Pepper's not like Tony who's plausible enough to drop into most anyone else's story at this point. The story would need to justify and use her, I think, and superpowered Pepper feels like a bad fit for any of the movies going forward that we know about - Ant-Man and Wasp at the most plausible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Bucky didn't power bomb her through the table when he had the chance = bad movie.

He tried!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It was a really strong table. Unlike the one Sharon got stuck with.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Make Pepper an Inhuman.

M...Make her name Virgina Crystal Potts.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's a mean thing to do to a fun character like Crystal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

It was a really strong table. Unlike the one Sharon got stuck with.
Bucky has that same problem with the Japanese tables that Randy Orton does.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Toxxupation posted:

Also you can't compare Marvel Character of the 00s, Deadpool to Character Most People, Even Those Into Comics, Would Have No Idea Who She Is Squirrel Girl

That's why I'm comparing her to Ant Man.

No-one knew who the gently caress Ant Man was, outside of fans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ant Man is significantly less stupid than Squirrel Girl.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

If you dont know anything about the characters but their names they're almost equal. Squirrel Girl is sillier because it rhymes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Aphrodite posted:

Please explain.

Squirrel Girl is more explicitly a comedic character, but their powers are equally silly.

Edit: Basically I'm saying that Marvel has proven they can make action comedy based on C-list characters unfamiliar to the general public.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh good, looks like Wolverine 3 is for sure based on Old Man Logan.

Yes, because...Old Man Logan...is so great. Yes. Excellent.

I wonder if the R-rated decision was due in no small part to the success of Deadpool.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

The dialogue suggested he completely removed it, but Pepper hasn't been seen since so who the hell knows. Pepper with Extremis would certainly be a unique power set in the MCU, both in effect and visuals (though according to the guys who did it, the effects for Extremis were a pain to do in post-IM3 interviews).

My problem with a hero Pepper, Extremis or armored, is how on earth she'd fit into any narrative at this point without an IM4. One of the more plausible theories I've heard about the Infinity War movies is that the first one features the standard extant Avengers, who get their poo poo wrecked and so turn to more unorthodox heroes with weirder and more extreme abilities like Dr. Strange, Captain Marvel, and the Inhumans. Pepper's not like Tony who's plausible enough to drop into most anyone else's story at this point. The story would need to justify and use her, I think, and superpowered Pepper feels like a bad fit for any of the movies going forward that we know about - Ant-Man and Wasp at the most plausible.

She could be Rescue and be added to the Avengers as some kind of "Look, we have someone with no/minimal weapons, who's just there to help people and prevent damage when she can" and or government go-between kinda thing, maybe? Then during the big "everything is going to poo poo in the city" battles you could sometimes cut to her holding up a wall to let some kids run away from the danger or what have you. A hero who is not focused on the combat could be good for their public image as well.

If it would be executed at all well would be another thing. Also, I haven't seen Civil War yet so I dunno how plausible that scenario is after that movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Oh good, looks like Wolverine 3 is for sure based on Old Man Logan.

Yes, because...Old Man Logan...is so great. Yes. Excellent.

I wonder if the R-rated decision was due in no small part to the success of Deadpool.

I'd guess Deadpool played a part in it, but Jackman surely is going out how he wants with this movie.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I look froward to the Shmulk Gang and Ahracno-Bitch.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

X-O posted:

I'd guess Deadpool played a part in it, but Jackman surely is going out how he wants with this movie.

The Wolverine was an R rated movie that they edited down for it's theatrical cut anyway.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

X-O posted:

The thing about Supergirl and DC in general you have to remember is that legacy is a bigger deal over there. At least until someone comes along that really really liked the inferior versions of the characters that have been gone for years and brings them back for some reason when the new versions are working just as good as ever.

I know Geoff Johns has done some great work, but man do I hate that guy. Barry and Hal aren't even that good. They literally never have been.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SonicRulez posted:

I know Geoff Johns has done some great work, but man do I hate that guy. Barry and Hal aren't even that good. They literally never have been.

The most disappointing part of it for me is that he did such great stuff with Wally and then just erased him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, saw Civil War. Liked it, and the song at the end of the credits was a wonderfully horribly bad taste joke. For folks who didn't catch it,
Alt-J: Left Hand Free

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

She-hulk is an awesome character that would be good as a lead in an MCU movie. However, the clue that she's a derivative is that she's called loving She-hulk, as opposed to, I don't know, strong green woman or whatever.

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker

rantmo posted:

Yeah, I missed the clean filming that Winter Soldier had. The opening sequence also looked strangely CGI'd for a Marvel film, especially since so much of it was practical stunt work. Something was just slightly off for me and I'm not sure what.

The Russos and their editor took a page out of fury roads book and bumped up the frame rate on action sequences to try and give them more energy. But the finesse wasn't quite there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bruceski posted:

Well, saw Civil War. Liked it, and the song at the end of the credits was a wonderfully horribly bad taste joke. For folks who didn't catch it,
Alt-J: Left Hand Free

It was used in the Spider-Man scene and then used to lead you back in to another Spider-Man scene.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CelticPredator posted:

It was used in the Spider-Man scene and then used to lead you back in to another Spider-Man scene.

Oh was THAT where it was from? I missed its use in the actual movie and thought it was just there for the joke.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Please explain.

Squirrel Girl is more explicitly a comedic character, but their powers are equally silly.

Edit: Basically I'm saying that Marvel has proven they can make action comedy based on C-list characters unfamiliar to the general public.

So now we're back to the Great Lakes Avengers idea.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but one of X-Men: Apocalypse's producers has said that the next X movie after this one still won't be in the present day but instead be set in the 90s.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Good, these period-piece aspect of the X-Men films is one of the best things about them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but one of X-Men: Apocalypse's producers has said that the next X movie after this one still won't be in the present day but instead be set in the 90s.

I would be kind of interested in an X-Men movie that was modeled after Saved by the Bell.

Professor X is Mr. Belding, Cyclops is Zack, Jean Grey is Kelly, Wolverine is Slater, Storm is Jessie, Gambit is Screech, and Rogue is Lisa.

Wait no that's actually gonna be too close to the horrible cartoon where they all actually were high school kids poo poo nevermind.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Finally, the Cable movie I've been dreaming about.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are they referring to the New Mutants movie for the 90's? Or a different X-movie in the 90's?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SirDan3k posted:

I look froward to the Shmulk Gang and Ahracno-Bitch.

I really do wonder how they're going to adopt the fact that Old Man Logan utilizes the whole extended Marvel Universe so extensively (since, you know, Logan killed all of the other mutants in the world) into a movie where they don't have the license for any of it.

Also I'm willing to bet the ending is gonna be Man on Fire (villains kidnap his family, he trades his life for theirs).

God Old Man Logan. What a not-good comic that is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, OML owns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Can we all agree that the promise of spiffy Vision was fuckig over fulfilled? Walking around like an Assistant Professor. It was all good stuff. I can see Vision wiling away his time in his favorite craft beer beer garden before Ubering over to listen to a live Moth Story Slam.

This got lost under the detritus of some stupid argument, but seriously, do people here think Vision has a NPR tote bag y/n?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Actually, OML owns.

I wasn't a huge fan of it but I'd be fine with an adaptation since that would by necessity smooth over the rougher edges.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wasn't a huge fan of it but I'd be fine with an adaptation since that would by necessity smooth over the rougher edges.

By rougher edges you mean Millarese?

Ha, the Economist weighs in.

Ross kind of alludes to it but I'm surprised they didn't try to make the American issue more of a central problem. It's one of the most interesting things about Ultimates vol 2, this idea that a team made up of American heroes is going to lead to a new arms race with superpeople instead of nukes. Any actions of the Avengers would be seen as serving American foreign policy interests no matter how pure and honorable they are. It's hard to convince people you aren't operating under a national aegis when you're led by a guy named Captain America.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 10, 2016

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Another possible issue I can see with bringing She-hulk to the big screen is the optics of having the gamma stuff that has been shown to turn people into giant bestial rage monsters instead turning a woman into a pretty tall, fairly muscular but still ultra feminine form complete with huge green cgi breasts. It would be practically inviting criticism.

I mean I'm sure Marvel Studios could come up with a way to do it tastefully, but I can see how theyd be hesitant to open up that particular can of worms.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's really easy. Cast a nontraditionally attractive, very tall female actress (a Gwendoline Christie type, for instance), pay for a trainer so she gets super buff (aka the Chris Evans treatment), then do a First Avenger and use that CGI and paste her face on some shrimpy body double. Ignore the whole boobs thing because who really gives a gently caress, only gross weirdos will care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Jamesman posted:

Wait no that's actually gonna be too close to the horrible cartoon where they all actually were high school kids poo poo nevermind.

Hey now, Evolution wasn't the greatest, but horrible seems a bit harsh. It had that cool X-23 episode. The Morlocks were a thing.

• Locked thread