Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

"Heyy haha, whoooops, sorry about that folks, looks like we missed the runway there! That's fine though, everything's fine" :downs:

I read this in the voice of the ship computer from hitchhikers guide and it's p funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sound posted:

I read this in the voice of the ship computer from hitchhikers guide and it's p funny

Thank you for bringing this joy into my life as well.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedenius posted:

Her analysis? Verbatim: "Sweden is very small so you are probably very inbred."

quote:

just leagues ahead of most of us other students when it came to legal poo poo.

The lawyer has spoken, and a verdict has been reached.
-
I've noticed when Chinese really want to insult you, they wait until calm moments to give you a dose of their scathing opinion. They'll just bide their time and then you'll say "What did you think of that movie? I thought it was funny," and the Chinese person will reply "Your brother's face is more symmetrical than yours. Your jaw on this side looks strange, but you can't see it from the front so you don't know."

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

So the men dont like it if she initiates sex or says hey i am horny or what?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Haier posted:

The lawyer has spoken, and a verdict has been reached.
-
I've noticed when Chinese really want to insult you, they wait until calm moments to give you a dose of their scathing opinion. They'll just bide their time and then you'll say "What did you think of that movie? I thought it was funny," and the Chinese person will reply "Your brother's face is more symmetrical than yours. Your jaw on this side looks strange, but you can't see it from the front so you don't know."
Guilt vs shame culture. I've always suspected that there's a mental database of the most shameful attribute of all acquaintances, ready to be deployed at a moment's notice. The ultimate shame is one that can't be fixed, hence all the appearance/genetics-related insults.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hedenius posted:

Man, I can only imagine what she woulda said if she came to Iceland.

I know that the Chinese dudes I talked with in Uni were loving baffled that I worked "low class" jobs because "you are in university and have 'rich' parents" though I don't know how much that was 'Chinese student' and how much just 'International student'.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Hedenius posted:

China story.

I'm from Sweden and I was studying at the time in Belgium. This was around 2004 or so. I met a Chinese woman there and we were dating kinda seriously for a while. We both studied law and she was really loving smart. Got a job in some fancy law firm in Antwerp later and was just leagues ahead of most of us other students when it came to legal poo poo. She came to visit me in Sweden a few times and one of the last times she turned to me all serious and asked why we have so many retarded people in Sweden. I said that I thought that we probably have about the same levels of disabled and mentally handicapped people in most countries but in some countries like Sweden we have better social programs and technical help so these groups can be better integrated and more visible.

a small price to pay in exchange for maintaining superior genetics as evidenced by high individual wealth rates

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hey buddy, you do whatever you need to do just so long as you keep your poo poo on your side if the fence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

max4me posted:

I think "Horny Man" is just her name for Haier.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

max4me posted:

I have no idea what she meant. Even the context made no sense. Her reply to my "What?" was about how Chinese people are like this. Like what, I still don't know. I think she'd read too many memes that day and memed herself stupid.

sincx posted:

The ultimate shame is one that can't be fixed, hence all the appearance/genetics-related insults.

Also the "people from your country," or general "where you're from" insults as well, which usually doesn't work so well on immigrant-rich Western countries as it does in homogeneous Asian countries. It's so weird because some of them on the surface seem like they can cut so deeply, but most still fail the logic test like a lot of other Chinisms do.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I know that the Chinese dudes I talked with in Uni were loving baffled that I worked "low class" jobs because "you are in university and have 'rich' parents" though I don't know how much that was 'Chinese student' and how much just 'International student'.

I like telling them about when I was a janitor in my twenties. They ask what that is and I tell them "cleaning toilets, washing floors, dusting things." They get this blank look and always say something in the tune of "you've really experienced so many sides of life," as if I'm Rose slumming it in the poor people party with Jack on the Titanic. It's like Crust Punk cred to them or something. I just need a pitbull and a vest with patches.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

This right here. I'm sure that the CCP has been drooling to get Facebook established in China, as it is the perfect spying tool to keep tabs on their citizens. What the delay has been (like you said) is the Zucky has been negotiating with them over how much money he gets, in exchange for how much control they have over it (reading private posts/emails, ability to lock accounts, ability to shut the whole thing down whenever they want, etc.).

A lot of Chinese people know that the local fare are heavily monitored and controlled, (apparently the CCP can read private messages in real-time by design) so they are eager to get facebook as they assume a foreign brand of social media is much more secure and private.

Zuckerberg will gladly give them all of this if they give him another billion or whatever number makes his scummy dick hard.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Can someone post the play by play report of the busy intersection

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Farmland Park posted:

The problem is that aircraft crashes get a lot of attention. And during the investigation, in addition to investigators from Chinese Aviation Authorities, the country where the airframe was manufactured will also send investigators to aid,, this is standard procedure. So the French BEA for Airbus frames, NTSB for Boeing frames and so on. I'm not aware of any Chinese airlines flying Brazilian or Canadian made airplanes, but there might be some.

Edit: for what is cheaper, if oil is high and interest is low, it can very well pay off to buy new planes to replace old one.

I tried to look up some Chinese plane crashes, go through their investigations, that sorta thing. Just did quick search, didn't really find anything. Something about a small crash in NE China with 45 survivors but couldn't find the investigation report. It appears like that was an airframe manufactured in China, so they might be able to keep them out of the news by having the entire investigation team come from in house. Might be why I couldn't find the investigation report.

Taiwan though, holy poo poo. A few major crashes, including one where a tail segment sustained damage in loving 1980 went unrepaired until it failed on a flight in 2002 causing the whole plane to disintegrate in mid air, tearing the clothes off of the passengers and dumping them naked into the South China Sea. ...didn't know that was a thing. Investigators found a picture from years earlier showing a brown stain around the damaged portion of the plane. This stain was the culmination of nicotine from second hand smoke between 1980-1995. China airlines disputed this however, only 15% of the plane was recovered so the conclusion was not definitive,

I imagine that crash mirrors what we can expect from Mainland China. Shoddy maintenance. China probably steals a lot of designs and manufacturers them at home so there's no outside investigation. There was something weird about this crash, apparently the Taiwanese government collected blood samples from all the victim's families for identification, is that standard? Seems really sketchy depending on which government is collecting that. coughcoughchinacough

Obligatory Taiwanese Plane Crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_NT43aJ_Jw

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

SlipUp posted:

I tried to look up some Chinese plane crashes, go through their investigations, that sorta thing. Just did quick search, didn't really find anything. Something about a small crash in NE China with 45 survivors but couldn't find the investigation report. It appears like that was an airframe manufactured in China, so they might be able to keep them out of the news by having the entire investigation team come from in house. Might be why I couldn't find the investigation report.

Taiwan though, holy poo poo. A few major crashes, including one where a tail segment sustained damage in loving 1980 went unrepaired until it failed on a flight in 2002 causing the whole plane to disintegrate in mid air, tearing the clothes off of the passengers and dumping them naked into the South China Sea. ...didn't know that was a thing. Investigators found a picture from years earlier showing a brown stain around the damaged portion of the plane. This stain was the culmination of nicotine from second hand smoke between 1980-1995. China airlines disputed this however, only 15% of the plane was recovered so the conclusion was not definitive,

I imagine that crash mirrors what we can expect from Mainland China. Shoddy maintenance. China probably steals a lot of designs and manufacturers them at home so there's no outside investigation. There was something weird about this crash, apparently the Taiwanese government collected blood samples from all the victim's families for identification, is that standard? Seems really sketchy depending on which government is collecting that. coughcoughchinacough

Obligatory Taiwanese Plane Crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_NT43aJ_Jw

About the Yichun crash, I found this on Wiki:

quote:

Both the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) and the aircraft's manufacturer, Embraer, sent teams of investigators to the crash site.[8][20] The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board appointed an accredited representative, as the aircraft's General Electric CF34 engines were made in the U.S.[21] The flight recorders were recovered at the scene and sent to Beijing for analysis.[1]

Early in the investigation, the qualifications of the pilot were focused on, as it emerged that upwards of a hundred pilots flying for Shenzhen Airlines, Henan Airlines' parent company, had falsified their claims of flying experience.[22]

Investigators from the State Administration of Work Safety concluded that the captain, on his first flight into Yichun, switched off the autopilot and approached the runway covered by radiation fog despite the fact that visibility of 2,800 m (9,200 ft) was below the minimum of 3,600 m (11,800 ft).[5][23]

The crew descended below minimum descent altitude although visual contact with the runway had not been established.[24]

The crew also failed to initiate a missed approach when the radio altimeter callouts indicated that the airplane was near the ground and the communication and cooperation within the crew was insufficient, despite the known safety risks at that airport.[5][23]

Every air crash different, but reading this, it does seem similar to the Kangding incident, only with a worse outcome.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I wonder what kind of sketchy business goes on in a Chinese control tower. Knock off highly sensitive electronic tracking and communications system, possibly ripped off the USSR in the 80's? Cool. I imagine any successful Chinese flight is due to a three stooges principal where maintenance, crew, and control failing simultaneously leaves the plane in perfect equilibrium.

That report mentions radiation fog, and it probably could be, but trying to land anywhere near the Beijing Smog/Gobi Desert Dust System must be white knuckle as gently caress.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 10, 2016

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Farmland Park posted:

Every air crash different, but reading this, it does seem similar to the Kangding incident, only with a worse outcome.

This is the kind of thing that makes me really angry about the face culture they have going there. The idea of "As long as I say X, it doesn't matter if X is true or not. If anyone has a problem with that, I just throw money at them." It's so insane, hilarious, and scary to think that even the top officials are doing the same thing every day regarding millions of lives at stake and the future of the country.
They aren't even doing any of that Frank Abagnale Jr. poo poo with proper imitations and skilled lying, it's just bold-faced toddler-style confidence and pretending with money attached to it.

gently caress that pilot.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
China: The RPG -

You start off at Level 01 when you leave on your quest. Instead of trying to gain XP, you focus on collecting gold coins. When you have enough gold coins, you go to the nearest tavern and trade the gold coins for a scroll that that proves you are Level 24, even if you are still actually at Level 01. While collecting gold coins, you encounter a monster and try to give him gold coins instead of fighting. The monster tries to fight you, but you complain that you are now embarrassed because you are not ready to fight him, and that the monster should feel shame for embarrassing you. The monster laughs and leaves while you try desperately to pay off anyone that saw you weeping before the monster.

One day while out looking for gold coins, you meet a man from a distant land. He is a Level 17 and spent much of his life getting the XP to level up so high. You wave your Level 24 scroll at him and he scratches his hairy chin and says "That's fake." You feel embarrassed and curse him under your breath.

Another day, you have your tunic raised up while squatting on the side of the wagon path, letting loose a hot stream of oily diarrhea, when you hear a jingling from above. You look up and see the words. Finally, after 30+ years, you've achieved Level Two status. You're so shocked that you accidentally let go of your tunic and poo poo on the back of it, while pissing into the top of your boots. Never mind that, you've got work to do. You run back to the tavern and pay the money to fix your scroll. It now says Level 25. You've made it at last. You can now marry that girl from down the street who demanded you must be at least Level 25 and have an income of 2000 gold per year. Your life is complete. You get married and wait for retirement. Once retired, you wait for death.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ekuNNN posted:

freude cause he manages to get out in time :3:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Haier posted:

gently caress that pilot.

It's even worse than I thought.

Earlier I said that the first officer transferred to the Sichuan division in February, but his training record shows the transfer as having been done in January. My translation was incorrect.

According to an update in Chinese news with a more clear statement (http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4533514557), what actually happened is that the first officer's high altitude training certification (NOT his transfer record) was dated January, a full month before he even showed up for work in Sichuan. As of the date of the incident, he still never actually had the training. This incident happened in May. He's been flying high altitude routes for 3 months without having the required certification while using a fake certification dated an entire month ahead of his arrival date. It's not a matter of whether the first officer should have been flying or not. The first officer shouldn't have been on the flight at all.

I know I shouldn't be surprised at anything in China anymore, but this was still a WTF moment when I understood what was going on.

In the US (or any other country with rule of law), this would probably result in a few prison sentences for criminal negligence and cancellation of the airline's operating certificate (i.e. permanent shutdown of the airline).

This is the punishment in China:

1. Temporary disallow the Sichuan division of China Eastern from commencing high altitude flights.
2. Temporary disallow the Sichuan division of China Eastern from adding routes.
3. Temporary disallow the Sichuan division of China Eastern from adding frequencies on existing flights
4. Fine China Eastern RMB 50,000 for the various falsifications.
5. Permanently cancel the two captains' pilot's licenses. Suspend the first officer's pilot's license for six months.

Slap on the wrist for everyone except for the two captains (and even then, only getting fired is probably a good deal when you should be put in jail for a few months).

Don't fly Chinese airlines, folks.

sincx fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 10, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Actually, let me translate the all of CAAC's preliminary violation summary, just because it's so bad:

1. Captain proceeded to land despite conditions below minima.

2. The second captain, due to claimed fatigue, was resting in first class and did not attend to his duties in the cockpit until after the go-around.

3. The first officer transferred to the Sichuan division in February, and has been flying high altitude routes for 3 months without having the required certification. During the course of the investigation, his qualifications were discovered to have been falsified. Even though he didn't transfer in until February, his falsified high altitude training certification is dated January.

4. The crew did not use oxygen above 10,000 ft cabin pressure altitude. This lasted for 56 minutes. [Cabin pressure altitude was as high as 14,000 ft. High altitude seriously affects mental performance. I sometimes fly at 10,500-11,500 ft when I head into the Sierras, and even after 20 minutes there's a noticeable decline in my reaction times and thought processes. FAA rules require supplemental oxygen above 12,500 ft (after 30 minutes) even for general aviation.]

5. Despite the heavy damage incurred by the aircraft, the crew lied and tried to cover up the incident when questioned by airport staff [on return in Chengdu].

6. The aircraft landed 105 meters short of the runway, destroyed 7 landing lights, and impacted with 2.6 G of force. The soil was firm, which prevented the loss of the aircraft, but the incident is identical to the Yichun crash.

7. Airline emergency management procedures are weak. During the course of the investigation, the entire crew was dishonest and falsified statements. The lead flight attendant lied on multiple occasions that the second captain was in the cockpit.

All this, and still just slaps on the wrist all around.

Imagine how bad the ARJ21 must be.

sincx fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 10, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I take it international airports are just as weary of Chinese pilots as they are tourists?

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
When you have a billion people in your country a few plane crashes a year is no big deal

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

I take it international airports are just as weary of Chinese pilots as they are tourists?

I've heard several complaints about Chinese Air traffic controllers.

Warning contains pilot lingo

quote:

Altitudes given in metres (obviously) but depending on your airlines procedures this can be quite cumbersome as the exact altitudes they give cannot be selected on the FCU of the A320/737 so one may need to refer to customised charts.
Most useful airspace is military or restricted
There are only 2 North/South airways in the Eastern part of China that traffic flying up and down China can use. However only one of them is used most of the time. It is extremely busy too.
Expect to fly non standard levels, levels up to 10,000ft below your optimum and early descents frequently.
Expect to fly offset routes (often just 1 mile R) most of the time for no apparent reason
Constant chatter in Chinese that will cause your ears much annoyance and the added loss of situational awareness that occurs when "they" are not speaking the international language of Aviation.
Most Approach controllers have a little to no appreciation of flow management, often completely forgetting you, asking you to slow down to slat/flap speeds 50 miles out only to then give you "resume normal speed" requests at 30 or requesting silly "make one left orbit" requests.
]At the not so busy airfields expect to be handed over to tower frequencies early where a school kid will have a go at completely screwing up your approach.
Expect to be taken off the LOC to create "space" because the Approach Controller didn't release 3 aircraft were coming into his airfield at 50 miles out but realised it only at 15 miles.
Expect to not fly any published SID, instead expect a heading, different stop altitude and speed at exactly the point where flap retraction is

http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/507435-chinese-atc-now-future.html

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
I literally picked poo poo at random off the top of my head and each thing I can think of has detailed multiple page reports of staggering incompetence, massive loss of life, and three or more "no why"s

e: Okay I guess the controllers haven't been responsible for a crash yet but they literally have a small child to take over directing planes to land so let's consider that the free bingo square.

I really want to know why but I know deep in my heart there is no why.

e2: Okay seriously though isn't directing planes the one job an air traffic controller is responsible for?

I bet someone told them there was a ghost haunting the tower.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 10, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tupperwarez posted:

This is the most China thing I've seen in a bit.

I am not a pilot so I cannot comment, but does this mean that during touchdown everyone in the plane felt like Newton's ghost was going to kick their guts straight out of their asses?

That's about twice as hard as a normal landing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SlipUp posted:

I literally picked poo poo at random off the top of my head and each thing I can think of has detailed multiple page reports of staggering incompetence, massive loss of life, and three or more "no why"s

e: Okay I guess the controllers haven't been responsible for a crash yet but they literally have a small child to take over directing planes to land so let's consider that the free bingo square.

I really want to know why but I know deep in my heart there is no why.

e2: Okay seriously though isn't directing planes the one job an air traffic controller is responsible for?

I bet someone told them there was a ghost haunting the tower.

If you can half-rear end it, you do half-rear end it. There is no why.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I think it was in the last thread where someone posted a quote about Chinese legalism and 5000 years of law or something. Well, I'm reading The Origins of Political Order (really good btw) where the author is examining how the Chinese society transformed into a state, and about that legalism, uhh...

Francis Fukuyama posted:

We should not be fooled by the Legalists' emphasis on law into thinking that their doctrine had anything to do with rule of law in the sense I use that term in this book. In the West, in India, and in the Muslim world, there was a body of preexisting law, sanctified by religion and safeguarded by a hierarchy of priests and clerics, that was prior to and independent of the state. This law was seen as being older, higher, and more legitimate than the current ruler and there binding on him. That is the meaning of the rule of law: even the king or emperor is bound by law and not free simply to do as he pleases.

Rule of law in this sense never existed in China, and least of all for the Legalists. For them, law was simply the codification of whatever the king or ruler dictated, commands rather than law in Friedrich Hayek's sense. They were meant to reflect the interests of the ruler alone and not a consensus of the moral rules governing the community as a whole.

Current China is based on those same principles, so I guess in a sense they do have 52000 years of history after all :shrug:

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 10, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
One more thing about the Kangding plane crash:

quote:

According to Shanghai Daily, China Eastern Airlines promised the CAAC that its own general manager and party secretary would be held responsible and sacked if such an incident ever occurred again.

We super-duper mega promise we'll be good!! :haw:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

I am a French native and I am Looking for English teacher , 5 afternoons a week. I can speak , read but I need to improve my self. Thanks

quote:

i can teach you Chinese。

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Grand Fromage posted:

quote:

I am a French native and I am Looking for English teacher , 5 afternoons a week. I can speak , read but I need to improve my self. Thanks

Decidedly Chinese capitalization and phrasing, random spaces around punctuation. "French native", sure.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
So the Laundry Files is a supernatural themed spy novel series that also has an RPG license based off of Call of Cthulhu. This is apparently the Chinese occult spy agency.

I dunno but I think "playing the long game" seems to be the most egregious China apologia I've ever seen.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

China: The RPG -

So good! The little details really make it.

Automatic Slim posted:

They are mindful (scared) of pretty much most Asian airlines. Korean airlines is especially bad for incidents involving similar things like lack of training, saving face and letting an aircraft auger into the side of a mountain. I think there was even a ground collision incident with Korean airlines where their wingtip struck another plane, and instead of stopping everything and having the ground handling cars pull the two aircraft apart, they just hit full thrust and ripped through the other plane's tail.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

I think it was in the last thread where someone posted a quote about Chinese legalism and 5000 years of law or something. Well, I'm reading The Origins of Political Order (really good btw) where the author is examining how the Chinese society transformed into a state, and about that legalism, uhh...

Current China is based on those same principles, so I guess in a sense they do have 52000 years of history after all :shrug:
Hahahaha, 'End of History' man still getting gigs I see.

He's not entirely wrong about Legalism, but the idea that the rule of law was a thing in the other places he mentioned for a long time is laughable, as is attributing it do religion. If you actually want to do a real comparison between the two philosophical underpinnings, I'd recommend starting with Wong.

A quote from that text: "Doing comparative philosophy well can be very difficult because of the vast range of texts and their intellectual and historical contexts it requires its practioners to cover. Oversimplifications, excessively stark contrasts, and illicit assimilations count as the most frequent sins. "

And if there's something Fukuyama has been doing his whole career, it's those last three.

Lol, looked the book up some more:

quote:

The Economist sees insights into China, India and the Arab world today: "its insights are relevant to our understanding of modern states and how they became what they are."

I can hardly think of few more damning indictments than positive reviews from The Economist.

quote:

Nicholas Wade's review compares the work to classics in the field, like Guns, Germs and Steel
hahahaha i was wrong

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 10, 2016

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Went to a Uighur restaurant for mother's day in DC. Apparently Uighur food is just Chinese food with some curry/cumin. It was pretty good though. Was also strange being surrounded by a bunch of vaguely middle eastern looking people all speaking perfect Mandarin.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

bamhand posted:

Went to a Uighur restaurant for mother's day in DC. Apparently Uighur food is just Chinese food with some curry/cumin. It was pretty good though. Was also strange being surrounded by a bunch of vaguely middle eastern looking people all speaking perfect Mandarin.

Watching a Chinese girl talking in perfect German or a Korean lady in Italian always gives my brain a little bit of an "updating, please wait".

It's funny how our brains have become accustomed to associating a certain face with a certain language/accent, and how easily we get confused when the two don't line up. Nothing as bad as trailer trash seeing my wife's face and not even listening to her speak her 97% accent-free English and then loudly proclaiming, "I can't understand you, I can't understand what you're saying!"

I think there was a goon in the Japanese thread who was fluent in Japanese and went to a restaurant with his Japanese American girlfriend (who spoke no Japanese at all) and the waitress refused to look or listen to him, and kept blasting the girlfriend with 100mph Japanese while the boyfriend pleaded with her to actually listen to him.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Deceitful Penguin posted:

He's not entirely wrong about Legalism, but the idea that the rule of law was a thing in the other places he mentioned for a long time is laughable, as is attributing it do religion.

So you didn't really read the part about what "rule of law" meant. It's ok, I'm sure a lot of wumaos agree.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Darkest Auer posted:

So you didn't really read the part about what "rule of law" meant. It's ok, I'm sure a lot of wumaos agree.

he scoffs at the idea that another religion might have provided something to culture greater than that by the norse pantheon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he scoffs at the idea that another religion might have provided something to culture greater than that by the norse pantheon

Lol

• Locked thread