Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BraveUlysses posted:

yup, i'd own a miata instead of an e30 if i could fit into one

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The BRZ is essentially a modern E30 M3, and it fits tall people just fine.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mange Mite posted:

Just....no. no.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Just....no. no.

I was so impressed by the FR-S that I bought a Golf TDI instead. There were some other factors involved of course, but I wasn't all that impressed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

At 6'4" I couldn't find a seating position where my head didn't run the ceiling.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yes but knee steering is so easy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TheMadMilkman posted:

At 6'4" I couldn't find a seating position where my head didn't run the ceiling.

I'm 6' 3" and can easily wear a helmet in mine.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Huh, perhaps height alone is insufficient to determine if you fit in a Scion. Almost as if bodies can have different proportions.

Data point if it's going to be that kind of party: I'm 6'4" and the kid across the street in the family with too many cars has a FRS.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm 6' 3" and can easily wear a helmet in mine.

I have very short legs relative to my height.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
E30s don't exist anymore so the point is moot.

I don't fit in my NA Miata but at least I will die happy come the rollover. Or I'll buy a 987 or something safer, but I have a feeling they'd be a lot more boring as a DD.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 7, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

I don't fit in my NA Miata but at least I will die happy come the rollover. Or I'll buy a 987 or something safer, but I have a feeling they'd be a lot more boring as a DD.

Just because they're expensive doesn't mean they have entirely ceased to exist. Plus, the rate of their destruction is surely reduced now that they're out of the reach of teenagers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went to the London motor show in Battersea Park yesterday. Highlights include... Not a lot. It was a bit poo poo to be honest, and if anyone was planning to go, unless you've got free tickets I wouldn't bother. It's one of those dealership supplied things with only a few models from the ones that showed up.
Anyway the new MX5 was quite nice, the nismo juke rs is loving great, it's so dumb and everyone hates it and I love it. The one that surprised me the most was actually the bmw i3. It's still weird as hell looking, but it's actually quite nice inside. I liked it better than the Leaf anyway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Bring a fistful of cash to the E30 Picnic next month near Tacoma and you'll find one worth buying. It's the single largest e30 gathering in the world.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Toyota is floating the idea of an 86 Shooting Brake at some festival in Melbourne. I kinda want to get a dog. What size dog do you think fits back there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwlLLc0aJE

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tobu posted:

Toyota is floating the idea of an 86 Shooting Brake at some festival in Melbourne. I kinda want to get a dog. What size dog do you think fits back there?

Clownshoe 2.0

(Gimme gimme gimme!)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
As someone that likes shooting brakes, the 86 doesn't look good as one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If I could banish one term from the automotive lexicon it would be shooting brake.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why do marketing people think the angry music over "video of car standing still" is appropriate?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If a car company used Ginuwine's Pony over a static car shot, ok let's say it's rotating slowly, I would just throw $20s at the screen.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

As someone that likes shooting brakes, the 86 doesn't look good as one.

It's loving awful.

They're already not selling enough of these things, focus on making them cheaper or faster for fucks sake.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

tobu posted:

Is this an official rendering or is it just one made up by the website that produced this video

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

Is this an official rendering or is it just one made up by the website that produced this video

They actually built the thing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

fknlo posted:

So the s2000 I'm working on buying is going to be my ultimate Costco car? I think I might even be able to get a package of paper towels in the trunk?

Hey man you can fit all kinds of stuff in the trunk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
a Prius and a veloster hosed at brz and that is the lovely baby that came out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a particular revulsion for the Veloster, and I'm not sure why.

It's like a primal instinct; the same one that tells you not to touch poop.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BraveUlysses posted:

HA look at this guy with his wrong opinions about things.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

El Scotch posted:

I have a particular revulsion for the Veloster, and I'm not sure why.

It's like a primal instinct; the same one that tells you not to touch poop.

Do they still make those drat things? I used to really like the idea of the Turbo but the more I've seen them the uglier they've become.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

fyodor posted:

HA look at this guy with his wrong opinions about things.

He's right though. Just because it's a shooting brake doesn't mean it's automatically beautiful. The rear end end on that thing looks like a conjoined mess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Its rear end is the most beautiful thing.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
That probably says more about the front than anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fyodor posted:

Its rear end is the most beautiful thing.

~prius dreams~

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
The hatch doesn't even look that practical for loading things, so it really boils down to increased interior volume for worse EVERYTHING. I love the whole shooting brake idea but that just looks rubbish.

I think part of it is that you can't have a slab sided car anymore. If the rear didn't come in so much on the hatch they could have a far wider rear door and therefore more area. But aerodynamics and therefore fuel economy I guess.

Seems like Toyota have just half assed an idea for hype. Compare that to the MX-5 Targa. Mazda made a sweet car that has compromises that people are happy to accept (compared to the original model), and will be available. I'm guessing the sort of people who want a Miata Targa are not worried about space because it's a second car.

I'm pretty sure anyone shopping a FRS/BRZ in the first place are either looking for a second car or willing to put up with the compromises (for that type of car). Adding a bunch of interior volume is unlikely to change that. I guess there's a reason we don't see many successful shooting brakes. Ever.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've always been confused as to what the expectation of the 86/BRZ/FRS/GT86 was. It was supposed to be a homage to a massively underpowered 80s coupe, and it does it's job pretty well I think. It's also pretty easy to drive fast, and if I was looking for something new and affordable this, or a Miata, would be it. A price reduction would help (although it ain't terribly expensive), but I don't think more power would necessarily shift more units; it's a niche sports coupe. Ditto a shooting brake.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 10, 2016

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

I'm 6'2" and a bit fat. The BRZ is laughably uncomfortable for me. I figure if I was 4" shorter and 50 lbs lighter I'd be OK in it.

Can't comment on the performance because I've never been in an E30 M3. Comparing it to my 3 door Civic Si hatch, it was lighter feeling and faster once you revved it up. Didn't drive it long enough to comment on the shifter/clutch feel. I'm sure I would have be able to get used to it and liked it, but I didn't care for it in my short drive.

Not fast enough, not big enough was my general takeaway from the BRZ. The not fast enough part is subjective, but the not big enough was objectively correct for me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If it's hard to fit in at 6'2", I'd love to see Powershift or Kastein trying to drive one.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
poo poo, I'm 5'7 and I remember thinking that you couldn't be much taller without it getting uncomfortable.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
There was some enormous 6'5" or something goon who said it was comfortable. Dunno, all the people I know > 6' who can't own Miatas have said that it's comfortable

slothrop posted:

The hatch doesn't even look that practical for loading things, so it really boils down to increased interior volume for worse EVERYTHING. I love the whole shooting brake idea but that just looks rubbish.

I think part of it is that you can't have a slab sided car anymore. If the rear didn't come in so much on the hatch they could have a far wider rear door and therefore more area. But aerodynamics and therefore fuel economy I guess.

Read the article dude:

quote:

While we never say never, and I would love this concept to become a production reality, it is very much a concept that demonstrates the passion within Toyota for cars that are fun to drive.

They're not going to make it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 10, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Like I said, I'm 6' 3" and am very comfortable in it. I even have room for a helmet.

Maybe if you have a long torso you have issues, but my height is really in my legs and I have zero problems.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

slothrop posted:

so it really boils down to increased interior volume for worse EVERYTHING

Works for SUVs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Hey man you can fit all kinds of stuff in the trunk

It's definitely more spacious than you'd think.

Here's what a coherent shooting brake concept would look like:

The 86 version is seriously a mess. Everything looks so off.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I've always been confused as to what the expectation of the 86/BRZ/FRS/GT86 was. It was supposed to be a homage to a massively underpowered 80s coupe, and it does it's job pretty well I think. It's also pretty easy to drive fast, and if I was looking for something new and affordable this, or a Miata, would be it. A price reduction would help (although it ain't terribly expensive), but I don't think more power would necessarily shift more units; it's a niche sports coupe. Ditto a shooting brake.

I just really didn't find anything all that inspiring about the car when I drove it. I'm sure I would have had a lot of fun if I'd bought it, but it seemed really underwhelming overall. The engine was such a huge let down. More power really would have added a lot to the experience. And that's coming from someone who up until last week had never owned a car with more than 200hp.