Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

poptart_fairy posted:

In the process of farming for Concords, I earned two million souls and twenty Sun Medals. Two ears. :suicide:

Also man, I'm seeing a ton of people using a giant curved sword and the hornet ring all of a sudden. Getting a single riposte kills me flat (and I have 1500 health...), and I've yet to see any of these guys miss a parry - including one guy who parried three of us in a row, all using different weapons. I think SL 120 PVP is...different from what I'm used to.

It's so hard to miss a parry in the current meta of BIG SLOW weapons or Spam R1 weapons. The hornet ring need to be nerfed a lot it's something like 30% to counter attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Everyone rags on harvest valley for the elevator to a lava lake (one of my favorite zones in any of these games based on asthetic alone) but turning around before Mytha and seeing just a huge open lovely space filled with a repeated brick texture was awful. They could have filled it with some spinny gears or draped cloth or anything and it would have looked better

Yeah it's a shame that a lot of the zones themselves had plenty of heart but were brought down by simple textures and copy/pasted assets making them look bland and unfinished. A lot of areas suffered for it but iirc everything around the cardinal tower looked especially plain & crude imho.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm so sick of killing the same phantoms over and over in every invasion just because its so hard to finish off a coward host.

Until they do something at all yeah, that's pretty much the whole PvP experience at a gross spread of levels.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Szcwczuk posted:

It's so hard to miss a parry in the current meta of BIG SLOW weapons or Spam R1 weapons. The hornet ring need to be nerfed a lot it's something like 30% to counter attacks.

See, that's the thing that jumped out at me. I've seen everything from daggers and twinblades to giant swords parried on the first shot. Instinct is "lol dark souls net code", but it seems off somehow. Is the parry window really that wide?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Parry kings are just really annoying to fight with how insanely strong ripostes are. Sure, some attacks are unparryable but most of them are really slow and you probably don't know that they're really good at it until they've parried your first swing and one shot you in return.
I've had the most fun in PvP being invaded by people that aren't crazy good at the game, but that never happens solo pretty much, while using the dried finger you get so many invasions it's impossible to progress.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Yardbomb posted:

Until they do something at all yeah, that's pretty much the whole PvP experience at a gross spread of levels.

I highly doubt they will do anything about it. If the host actually fights with them once his posse is summoned you might be able to pick him off. If they just hang back and summon anytime one of them dies, you're in for a long invasion that probably wont go your way.

On the subject of parries, I really don't enjoy how important they are in DS3 because its so drat hard to play around them. All someone needs to do is land a single parry to win many fights. If you don't have a lot vigor or they just have a huge weapon, a hornet ring parry will destroy you. So you can dance around someone for ages with them missing a dozen parries, then they land one and its gg. I've been invading with the pike for ages and the only people that consistently give me trouble are people fishing for parries. Right now I'm trying to use a harpe when they start parrying, but I'm sure a good player would be able to parry that too. Parries are only getting more and more common too. I'm invading people and almost everyone has at least a caestus for parrying they swap too the second I show up.

On the other hand though, parries are one of the few ways you can actually win 3v1s so I end up doing them too. Its too drat useful to do insane damage with complete invulnerability :shrug:

VVV Most weapons can be parried. The number of weapons that can't be parried is limited mostly to large weapons two-handed and whips, which are poo poo. Jumping attacks can't be parried but they are extremely easy to avoid and you can't really mix them into combos. They are also easy to punish so spamming them will just get you stabbed.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 10, 2016

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Hey guys there's many weapons that can't be parried at all, and many weapon arts that can't be parried on parryable weapons. Jump attacks can't be parried either. If you see someone with a small shield don't run up and poke them with an estoc.

Nothing is funnier than spin-sweeping through a guy who keeps parrying and getting nothing.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

In the process of farming for Concords, I earned two million souls and twenty Sun Medals. Two ears. :suicide:

Also man, I'm seeing a ton of people using a giant curved sword and the hornet ring all of a sudden. Getting a single riposte kills me flat (and I have 1500 health...), and I've yet to see any of these guys miss a parry - including one guy who parried three of us in a row, all using different weapons. I think SL 120 PVP is...different from what I'm used to.

This is simply why I would petition for something like a +6, or even +5 weapon upgrade bracket. Health values just seem really low in this game - too many fights are decided in like two combos.

Mind, this wouldn't really do anything about parrying champs - they would just get you in another parry - but it would maybe give you some vague chance to recover from bullshit parries from people like me who tend to spam the thing because they get frustrated when the thing never seems to work as expected.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

poptart_fairy posted:

See, that's the thing that jumped out at me. I've seen everything from daggers and twinblades to giant swords parried on the first shot. Instinct is "lol dark souls net code", but it seems off somehow. Is the parry window really that wide?

It's sounds like a combination of bad luck, and some predictability.

One thing I used to catch players on a lot was rolling R1's. Rolling R1's should be used with great caution against people with a parry weapon in the off-hand. This is especially true of weapons like Gotthard's twinswords. Mix things up as much as you can. Use charged R2's more, fake out a player by rolling and attacking out of range, then roll at them and don't attack. Use Rolling R2s. R1 then jump attack. Approach without attacking to bait the parry.

In the end you're going to get parried - the best PVP players get parried all the time, adjust your tactics to minimize them, but don't be afraid of getting parried.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To put this in perspective, here's a list of things that can and cannot be parried.

You really don't have a wealth of options if you don't want to use a huge weapon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Is the parry window really that wide?

Different things have different amounts of full parry window time basically. If you ever see someone using the nipple shield, small leather buckler or something like that, it's almost assuredly because they know it's ridiculous. Also the off-hand caestus gets used that way a lot too because it has a weirder timing or something like that.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

On the subject of parries, I really don't enjoy how important they are in DS3 because its so drat hard to play around them. All someone needs to do is land a single parry to win many fights. If you don't have a lot vigor or they just have a huge weapon, a hornet ring parry will destroy you. So you can dance around someone for ages with them missing a dozen parries, then they land one and its gg. I've been invading with the pike for ages and the only people that consistently give me trouble are people fishing for parries. Right now I'm trying to use a harpe when they start parrying, but I'm sure a good player would be able to parry that too. Parries are only getting more and more common too. I'm invading people and almost everyone has at least a caestus for parrying they swap too the second I show up.

There are a lot of good ways to work against parries - heavy weapons can do a timing/attack mix up and take 50% of their health on a failed parry, light weapons can bait a parry with a missed attack and punish with a backstab, and all sweeping weapons can unlock and go for a dead angle.

The really good players who seem to parry the first attack you throw out I have no clue about, no idea how they pull it off. I find it ridiculously hard to parry estocs and halberds and some people just get in there and get every single one.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Nameless King is absolutely the worst fight in this game. Holy gently caress the camera is insanely bad.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gwyn killed all the dragons because they kept loving up the camera.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Defiant Sally posted:

Nameless King is absolutely the worst fight in this game. Holy gently caress the camera is insanely bad.
Did you fight the dragon on the cliff? THAT is bad. For Storm King, you can (and definitely should) just hang out in front of him, not locked on, to see what he'll do. Lock on when he starts flying in a circle. For the dragon, you have to be in-between his legs and it's the worst loving thing.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Did you fight the dragon on the cliff? THAT is bad. For Storm King, you can (and definitely should) just hang out in front of him, not locked on, to see what he'll do. Lock on when he starts flying in a circle. For the dragon, you have to be in-between his legs and it's the worst loving thing.

no you dont. just sit infront of it, baits its flame breath attack and start hitting its head/neck. its literally the same fight as the dumb drakes in dark souls 2.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Simply Simon posted:

It's a good thing the cliff dragon has a very low chance of hitting you, because you also have a very low chance of seeing poo poo. I killed him by just mashing R1 when I had stamina and chugging in the odd instance where I lost health, all while not seeing poo poo.

The King of the Storm is fine though. As you say, hang out around its neck unlocked and it's a piece of cake. Can normally get to the second phase without taking a hit.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I like how they have 5 of these games but they've never even attempted to make the camera work with the bigger bosses. You just run into their crotch and start hitting them, occasionally rolling when the boss twitches a bit which probably means an attack is coming. No real way to tell what is happening.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man, despite sucking somewhat early and midgame, my faith hybrid build has really come into it's own. I took a poster's advice and treated it as a pyromancy build early game and that really helped. I'm about SL 85 or so.

VIG 20
ATT 25
END 15
VIT 15
STR 15
DEX 15
INT 15
FTH 40
LCK 15

Not very min maxy but I don't like seeing weird numbers like "23" or whatever in my stats. Next step is to push attunement up, and probably raise faith to 50. The thing I like about having each of the weapon stats (STR, DEX, INT, FTH) is that I can use a huge number of weapons. I haven't really been looking for anything with faith scaling since it seems like there's not a ton, right now I'm using a perfectly serviceable +6 Raw Astora Straight Sword. Probably gonna infuse the Dragonslayer Axe with Lightning in case I really want a lightning/scaling weapon, but I've been looking at halberds and poo poo. Anyway, the miracles are actually pretty drat good if you use them creatively, and offer a surprising amount of damage options.

Also the great thing is with that 15 INT you can use a huge number or cool pyromancies/utility sorceries. I'm keeping a permanent slot for Rapport: making the giant black worm thingies and megasword knights gently caress each other up is hugely cathartic. Can't wait to use it on the red eye assholes later on in Lothric castle.

Anyway, miracles.

Dorhy's Gnawing: We all know how well bleed fucks poo poo up in this game. This spell procs it in 1-2 hits for me, depending on the enemy. I killed those pesky Pontiff Beasts in 4 hits with it since they bled each time. I think I took the Dancer down in about 8 or 9 since it deals dark damage too and apparently she's weak. I had a hell of a time earning Sunbro medals on the Pontiff himself. If it looks like it'll bleed fire this bad boy off.

Deep Protection: A nice all around buff. Nothing gamebreaking but I like it.

Lightning Blade: well this hosed up the Consumed King in record time. Once I get Darkmoon blade I'll have access to spells that buff with lightning/magic/fire/dark, pretty nice variety.

Lightning Stake: I've had great luck nailing dudes with this in PVP by throwing a few lightning spears first to get their guard down. Does a shitton of damage if you land it perfectly. Also great for bosses since it's hard to miss them. I right hosed Aldrich up with this.

Emit Force: Does physical damage which is nice. Moves slow but seems to have a big radius. Super easy to knock enemies off cliffs and such with it, and break shields. Probably decent in PVP if you're on an area with lots of falling hazard and they aren't expecting it.

Tears of Denial: I slot this before pretty much every boss. You can cast it and immediately rest at the bonfire to get your FP back. It doesn't go away unless you die or teleport.

Replenishment et al: More quality of life than anything but it's cheap and heals enough to completely counteract poison which I found super helpful in Farron. Lasts a while too.

Wrath of the Gods: I'm sure I'll manage to hit someone in PVP with this if I try to dupe them with the old "pretend to hide and using healing miracle" routine. Maybe. I do think it's a lot of fun in PVE for just shredding weaker enemies by the half dozen in one hit. Like when those rats are there while you're fighting the giant. Just key on the talisman's super poise thingy and watch everything die.

Anyway, yeah I'm having quite a bit of fun now. Can't wait to snag the better versions of lightning spear.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Great lightning spear is a worthy upgrade but as far as I could tell Sunlight spear kinda blows

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Just finished the game and got the default ending (since I went in completely blind). I sure did enjoy that 10 second cut scene. Glad this dumb series is over for good.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I've been having a lot of fun being a dumb black knight at SL70.

VIG 22(27)
END 19(24)
VIT 34(39)
STR 31(36)
DEX 18

Rings are Prisoner's, Knight's, Havels, and Untrue Dark. I could use the Favor ring or Hunter's ring and be more efficient but I'm not willing to be a phantom black knight.

I'm at 69.1% with all BKs set, shield and greataxe. I can only swing it 3 times before I'm out of stamina (so twice and then a roll). But it's so fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I sure do love these idiot twinks trying to summon the lvl <20 phantoms in front of vordt's door for the dancer instead

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

Glad this dumb series is over for good.

They never said anything about no more Bloodborne or Demon's though. :smug:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Defiant Sally posted:

Just finished the game and got the default ending (since I went in completely blind). I sure did enjoy that 10 second cut scene. Glad this dumb series is over for good.

Every single Souls game has really short endings, the point of these games is that the story has already ended and you are simply wading through the aftermath.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Anyway, miracles.
That's really cool to read, I definitely want to give Faith a go at some point! Probably on a fresh character, though. What Talisman/Chimes are you using? There's such a huge variety, it's making my head spin. Have you tried out the special dark ones if they are better for Gnawing? Sirris' Talisman and Caitha's Chime seem to have the same spell adjust (judging from the Wiki) and at least the same scaling letters, which is strange. Maybe a casting speed difference? I should just test them on my NG+ Char, I have 12 Faith so with the Saint's Ring I should have 18 and can try out Emit Force as normal and Gnawing as Dark miracle.
Do you use Unfaltering Prayer often?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

RBA Starblade posted:

I always thought DS2 looked fine but especially compared to 3 it now looks like a butt.

e: I'm doing a big man strength build in Scholar, someone recommend me a fun early game weapon

craftsman hammer is legit one of the best pve weapons in the game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I always thought DS2 looked fine but especially compared to 3 it now looks like a butt.

e: I'm doing a big man strength build in Scholar, someone recommend me a fun early game weapon

Use the grand lance found in heide's.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

They never said anything about no more Bloodborne or Demon's though. :smug:

The answer to "Demon Souls remake?" was "we want to do new things"

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i feel like a read an excerpt from an interview where someone at From said they were already working on a new IP. and i think something about using the PSVR bullshit. so maybe a new giant robot game or something.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ It was with Miyazaki right after DS3's release. PSVR wasn't mentioned, but FROM is on Sony's list of confirmed PSVR developers, so they're doing something with it.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The answer to "Demon Souls remake?" was "we want to do new things"

Yeah returning to or remastering Demon's was shot down. Bloodborne wasn't specifically mentioned, but since they're focusing on a new IP it's also highly unlikely.

Which I'm fine with. It'd be cool to see regain and trick weapons again someday, but Bloodborne's world is pretty well fleshed out and self contained. A sequel will just water things down.

Bring on some Miyazaki scifi, plz.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 10, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Simply Simon posted:

That's really cool to read, I definitely want to give Faith a go at some point! Probably on a fresh character, though. What Talisman/Chimes are you using? There's such a huge variety, it's making my head spin. Have you tried out the special dark ones if they are better for Gnawing? Sirris' Talisman and Caitha's Chime seem to have the same spell adjust (judging from the Wiki) and at least the same scaling letters, which is strange. Maybe a casting speed difference? I should just test them on my NG+ Char, I have 12 Faith so with the Saint's Ring I should have 18 and can try out Emit Force as normal and Gnawing as Dark miracle.
Do you use Unfaltering Prayer often?

Well I'm not sure but I think there's a few near duplicate miracle catalysts. The difference between Sirris Talisman and Caitha's chime if they indeed have similar scaling is that chimes seem to be inferior since their skill is Gentle Prayer, a weak but cheap HOT. And it's only effective when your chime is out. I think unfaltering prayer is much better. I use that from time to time. It's pretty much necessary when casting WOTG.

Right now I'm using and upgrading the Saint's Talisman since my guess is it has the best scaling at high FTH. I haven't gotten Sirris's Talisman yet. Miracles, even dark ones like Lifehunt Scythe and Gnawing, hit pretty drat hard even with the Saint's Talisman. I'm sure with a proper dark one they'll hit like a dump truck. I'll look into the Sirris one. Also probably gonna add a point into INT so I can wield the White Hair Talisman and not have to worry about juggling pyro/miracle catalysts. Not sure if any other catalysts have cast speed difference except for the bellvine one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wiki says that over 49 Faith, Yorshka's Chime becomes the strongest Chime (still has HP regen skill, though). Saint's Talisman is said to have the weakest form of Unfaltering Prayer (aka you can break it more easily), while the Sunlight Talisman has the strongest. Dunno how that would actually come into play, though. Otherwise it's very hard to compare numbers. Saint's ends up with 120 spell buff at +10 while Sunless has 130 at +5, but Saint's scales with S and Sunless (Sirris') with A, so who knows when Saint's overtakes Sunless? But what if you have 20 Int and only cast Dark miracles with Sunless? Is 60 FTH with Saint's better than 50 FTH + 10 INT with Sunless? Argh.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i feel like a read an excerpt from an interview where someone at From said they were already working on a new IP. and i think something about using the PSVR bullshit. so maybe a new giant robot game or something.
Wasn't there mutterings of a sci-fi souls game at some point ages ago? I could definitely go for Dead-Space-Souls. :unsmigghh:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

limited posted:

Wasn't there mutterings of a sci-fi souls game at some point ages ago? I could definitely go for Dead-Space-Souls. :unsmigghh:

The Lords of the Fallen guys are making a scifi Souls (which looks bland) and people keep talking about how cool a scifi Souls by From would be, but nothing of substance has been said.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://u.pomf.is/nioanq.mp4

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
What I'd love to see is a souls-like set in a tolkein, bright fantasy universe with whacky comedic characters, but the difficulty is still insanely brvtal.

No, scratch that, From-soft remake of Bards Tale

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 10, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's been covered many pages ago, but archdragon peak shows that a colorful Souls game would work. That blue sky was a breath of fresh air after dozens of hours of grim-dark dungeon trawls.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Exit: Ugh, awful ios app bugged out. Nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I need a good dex weapon that works well with a pyro build, I'm in the catacombs now if that's of any help. I know I can get the katana early in the game from that swordsman (no I haven't gone back to get it yet) and I know that if I infuse it with a sharp gem(?) it'll give me B scaling. Is that worth it? Is that my best option for where I'm at now?