Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Renfield posted:

Craters are one of the easiest things to make - all you need is plaster-impregnated bandages

Yeah, I have plaster bandages already and I've considered it but I have a bit of nostalgia for the craters and honestly for the amount of time it would make to make them properly I'd rather just spend $20 and have them made already.

Lord Thrust posted:

So where is the goon outrage over, from what I'm hearing so far, a not-really-optional new flyer phase available in a $58 USD book, which I guess is a mandatory buy because it's, again, not-really-optional? They put our chin up with the FAQ, then they socked us with a new phase and set of rules, no?

The outrage lasted a few pages a while back, but it is a supplement, not a mandatory title, same as the last Flyer book. No one who dislikes it has to use it and it will never be used in tournaments or other settings where both players don't get a say in what they're playing.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My progress continues with yet another officer completed.
I want to paint more Blood Ravens marines in celebration of DoW3 but I need to buy a new pot of Khorne Red as mine has met a premature demise.
So I guess I'll do one more officer and two veterans.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lord Thrust posted:

So where is the goon outrage over, from what I'm hearing so far, a not-really-optional new flyer phase available in a $58 USD book, which I guess is a mandatory buy because it's, again, not-really-optional? They put our chin up with the FAQ, then they socked us with a new phase and set of rules, no?

It's optional.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BULBASAUR posted:

If it's area terrain you should be getting a cover save, regardless of the vehicle rules. It's the way our group plays anyway.
"Area terrain" hasn't been a thing since like 5th edition.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Thrust posted:

You're like a week late, and it ain't mandatory.

PierreTheMime posted:

Does anyone know where to get the "moonscape" craters or a good equivalent? I find the new battle craters too busy for my liking.
I'm kinda surprised Germ doesn't have generic craters over at Worldsmith Industries.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord Thrust posted:

We already had that discussion. Most people are ignoring the book.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Codex Orks 7th Ed. Update by PB aka Space Odin, cleaned up further. More HQs can access 'Eavy Armor, Zagstruk now has a Red Choppa (& is up to 65 pts), weapons lists cleaned up & corrected, 'Eavy Armor typo fixed, FW unit stats added to Index.

Interested parties should download newest versions of PDF &/or .BSR as preferred.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I love it - no real insanity, more a rollback with some buffs to remove the completely dogshit options. I'll try it out with 30k and see how it goes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Thrust posted:

See my previous posts about my own thoughts on this and our group's strongest player being really interested in this, but he got it yesterday and told us to save our money (not that I was going to get it), because it's too complicated, adds too much and slows down the game.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Kilazar posted:

Need a rule debate cleared up. Per cover rules vehicles must be 25% obscured. However the crater and forrest data slates in the rule book as well as the battlefield debris section specifically remove the 25% requirment.

The dispute is I think it reads that forrest and craters will provide a cover save for a vehicle in it (the data slates for crater and ghost wood state 25% obscure not required).

While my opponent says that the part inthe cover save section that says "this rule takes presidence for forrest and ruins) says vehicles can only ever obtain cover saves from terrain with 25% obscurement.

What way is the right way?

I used to play that you needed 25% obsured but the new FAQ suggests you don't need it so long as you aren't a flyer. super-heavy vehicle, FMC or gargantuan creature.

quote:

Q: Do Flyers, Super-heavy vehicles, Swooping Flying Monstrous Creatures and Gargantuan
Creatures gain cover while standing on the ‘base’ of a terrain piece, e.g. ruins or dense thickets, or
do they need to be at least 25% obscured by the scenery for cover to apply?
A: The 25% rule applies in all types of terrain if the target is a Flyer, Super-heavy Vehicle, Flying
Monstrous Creature or Gargantuan Creature. All other targets count as being in cover if they are in
or on the terrain’s base, even if not 25% obsured.

I think this is dumb, not sure why rubble would make better cover than being 95% covered by a hill but one does not question the rules nor attempt to apply logic to them, one simply follows and rolls dice

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 9, 2016

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone have, or know of a good source for, those clear plastic canopies that come with all the Eldar vehicles? The ones for the pilots cockpits of wave serpent/falcon/fire prism hulls. I have 2 rescue Vypers which are somehow missing the drat things.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I have 2 of those, although one has the struts painted blue - you don't have PMs so drop me a line at
autarkus at gamerarmy dot com and i'll stick 'em in the post

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

So after years I've decided to get my own table into working order with a good chunk of terrain, helped greatly by the megacheap Sanctum Imperialis sets available right now. I am, however, looking for the traditional GW craters, and it looks like they were discontinued in 2014. :( I tried looking around online but outside of painted sets on eBay I didn't find much.

Does anyone know where to get the "moonscape" craters or a good equivalent? I find the new battle craters too busy for my liking.

Megacheap? Where?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

krushgroove posted:

See my previous posts about my own thoughts on this and our group's strongest player being really interested in this, but he got it yesterday and told us to save our money (not that I was going to get it), because it's too complicated, adds too much and slows down the game.

I'm not against the idea of better defining combat roles for flyers and adding new stats, and I like the idea of having them do something when not on the table. But the last thing the game needs is a new phase, and there's such an imbalance in the available flyer units on a per-faction basis that the supplement just further exacerbates those problems. Also gently caress them for releasing new flyers for the armies that already have a shitload of options when it comes to flyers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Kilazar posted:

Megacheap? Where?

$20 or less on eBay currently if you look at the right time. Since one set comes in each Renegade box there's a bunch of Knight players who don't need the terrain and are dumping it. 33%+ off retail ain't bad.

Germ
May 7, 2013

[quote="SRM" post=""459647001"]
I'm kinda surprised Germ doesn't have generic craters over at Worldsmith Industries.
[/quote]

Well, crap. There was never any need to, what with the cheap and effective GW craters.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

$20 or less on eBay currently if you look at the right time. Since one set comes in each Renegade box there's a bunch of Knight players who don't need the terrain and are dumping it. 33%+ off retail ain't bad.

Wow that's a good find. Thanks for the pro rear end tip

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I got tired of making Calth marines so I did more work on my Ghorgon knight.

Finally got the "holding" mechanics down. The hydraulic cylinders have a nice through bolt sculpted on them, I drilled and put an actual one to pin them to the breech since they usually can't hold the weight. On the other end I have magnets to connect to his hand.

For the conversion, he will be standing on a proper knight base, and on top of a carapace. I liberally damaged the arm and green stuffed some wiring to appear as if it had been ripped off.

I made this magnetic, since I also have a reaper gatling cannon to switch it to. The other hand will alternate between holding an artillery shell or holding an ammo belt.

I figure this is 40k and poo poo is turned to 11. So he rips the cannon off the dead knight, pops a round in and manually smacks it in the back to get it to fire.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Sick!

I painted a gargoyle.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
That knight is awesome.

Can I ask how you did the talons for the gargoyle? I am looking to get that fungal toenail look on claws.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

JackMack posted:

That knight is awesome.

Can I ask how you did the talons for the gargoyle? I am looking to get that fungal toenail look on claws.

Um it is mournfang snakebite snakebite/bone bone/snakebite bone

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I think this is dumb

This pretty much covers my reaction to most of the FAQ, considering how often it contradicts stuff that's pretty explicit in the BRB. Preferred Enemy doesn't work on Gets Hot! my rear end! :argh:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This pretty much covers my reaction to most of the FAQ, considering how often it contradicts stuff that's pretty explicit in the BRB. Preferred Enemy doesn't work on Gets Hot! my rear end! :argh:

It only doesn't work on things like plasma cannons which don't roll a too hit, and on those type of rolls it's even called out that you need to be able to reroll shooting attacks (twin linked, BS 6, whatever). It's clarified to be exactly as originally intended.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Krushgroove check your PMs!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Renfield posted:

I have 2 of those, although one has the struts painted blue - you don't have PMs so drop me a line at
autarkus at gamerarmy dot com and i'll stick 'em in the post

You absolute legend! Very next reply as well. Email sent.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DrPop posted:

Krushgroove check your PMs!

Sorry! Was busy all weekend - if anyone else wants the event models from Warhammer Fest pm me or email me at krushgroove169@gmail.com

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Nichol posted:

Um it is mournfang snakebite snakebite/bone bone/snakebite bone

Coolio, thanks dude. I just thought it looked neat and wanted to copy.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Then I painted 9 more.yay.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I painted a robot.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

I painted a robot.

Nice! Looks really sharp

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

I asked GW why the Vendetta wasn't in the new death from the skies book. here's their reply.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That seems strangely reasonable.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I had the hammiest dream. Not a nightmare, just perplexing in every regard:

We are playing 40k, three player free for all. One is an Ork army on the far side, opposite my Iron Warriors. Between us is a Khorne army painted bright yellow for some reason, it is played by none other than Jack Black for some reason.

The game progresses in typical fashion other than we are playing on the most sands next to a lake. Don't ask me how we managed dice rolls. During my turn I notice I have forgotten half my units as their dark armor visually blends-in with the dark sand. Havoks, a Defiler, Marines, and a Forgefiend all lost their chance to act this turn. That's when I notice that the Forgefiend is crushed into the sand.

My lamentations are interrupted by all hell breaking loose. Jack loses it. He belts out his signature "comedy" scream, starts stomping models on purpose, runs amok. I give chase but the fat fucker can run. I vault over his massive Blood Slaughterer to draw him in, no luck. He ignores me and keeps running, "Ahhhh!" he screams all the while. I plan on moving his Blood Slaughterer to a corner in the fence to lure him in for a sound beating, that's when I awake in a mental ward.

This game isn't healthy.

Nichol posted:

Then I painted 9 more.yay.

When you painted one with that many colors on it I was prepared to mock you. How did you do nine more. They look great! How are you still alive.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Post 9-11 User posted:

When you painted one with that many colors on it I was prepared to mock you. How did you do nine more. They look great! How are you still alive.

Cheers! Certainly way way up there on the effort v points ratio...

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Just checked. Looks like only UK gets the discount. As there are not many US listings, and the ones that are up are same as gw price after th 10 dollar ebay shipping shenanigans :(

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

LingcodKilla posted:

That seems strangely reasonable.

What is going on? It's like one half of GW gets it and the other half is still utterly insane.

--

Now I want to build and paint Jack Black's bright yellow Khorne daemonkin army.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm thinking about painting a squad of Iron Hands terminators to ally in with my Ad Mech/Radical Inquisitor xeno-tech scavenger hunt project. Do any of you know of terminator scale bionic parts?

About all I've been able to find so far are these.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Forge World does the Gorgon Terminator kit for Iron Hands, though not sure how many pieces they come in/how customisable they are.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was looking at them but they don't look like the waist joint is compatible with the plastic kits. And as I've got a shedload of plastic Terminators I can't really justify spending out on a FW squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Naramyth posted:

It only doesn't work on things like plasma cannons which don't roll a too hit, and on those type of rolls it's even called out that you need to be able to reroll shooting attacks (twin linked, BS 6, whatever). It's clarified to be exactly as originally intended.

See, here's the thing: This is the specific wording of their FAQ answer:

quote:

Q: Do plasma cannons and other Gets Hot Blast weapons benefit from rules that allow them to re-roll To Hit rolls of 1? For example, a Clan Raukaan character wearing the Tempered Helm nominates a unit of friendly Devastators to re-roll To Hit rolls of 1 in this Shooting phase. These Devastators are all equipped with plasma cannons. Do they get to re-roll the Gets Hot roll if it comes up as 1?
A: No. The roll to see if a Gets Hot Blast weapon overheats is not a To Hit roll.

And this is the wording from the rulebook:

quote:

Gets Hot and Re-rolls
If a model has the ability to re-roll its rolls To Hit (including because of BS6+ or the Twin-linked special rule), a Wound is only suffered if the To Hit re-roll is also a 1; it may also re-roll Gets Hot results of 1 for weapons that do not roll To Hit.

You see the issue?

• Locked thread