Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

What's old is new again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we have transitioned into the transition, it's cool

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

why do the people in charge seriously keep thinking this is going to work?

Seriously go to the Shanghai circuit if you want to go to China so badly. (not that they'll give two shits either but at least it's a professional, permanent venue).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think they care if it's going to work or not as long as the sanctioning fee is non refundable. See: Boston.

Actually they probably cared a little about that one because that would be a good market to have.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I don't think they care if it's going to work or not as long as the sanctioning fee is non refundable. See: Boston.

Actually they probably cared a little about that one because that would be a good market to have.

I was semi-looking forward to attending Boston, but I'll take Watkins Glen over the Streets of Boston because with any luck the rest of the ladder will be there

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Moon GP idea is one step closer to becoming a reality.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I think the only reaction one can have to that is "lol"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

China has done a great job paying foreign race series money to not run any races. I really don't understand why they keep doing this.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

China has done a great job paying foreign race series money to not run any races. I really don't understand why they keep doing this.

This is how China works:
*Get a bunch of money from the central government for some big thing.
*Kick half of it to the partner (Indycar).
*Keep the other half for yourself.
*Cancel the event.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
*Buy property in North America

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lol this not happening.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm just kinda dumbfounded why they keep trying this formula.

Like everyone and their brother knew when this was announced/leaked? it wasn't happening.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Passed the Carlin racing lights hauler on 465 on my way home, where.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

Passed the Carlin racing lights hauler on 465 on my way home, where.

Everyone should be heading to The Happiest Place on Earth since the Indy GP is this weekend. Paddock load-in for the MRTI starts at 9am tomorrow and the IndyCar load-in started today.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/watkins-glen-lined-up-to-replace-boston-on-2016-indycar-schedule-734936/

IndyCar going to a venue where race fans actually exist and would actually show up for such an event? What is this madness?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
How to get good venues on the IndyCar schedule:

1. Schedule a new and/or sketchy event for the upcoming season
2. Insist that this event is happening as the season begins
3. Cancel the event after the season starts
4. Work out an emergency deal with a popular venue to get it on the schedule
5. Venue realizes that it would be a good idea to remain on schedule and signs long-term deal

If this is IndyCar's new strategy going forward, I can get behind it. Bring on China!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well poo poo. What's the closest major airport to Watkins Glen? Gotta price flights from Vegas.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bentai posted:

Well poo poo. What's the closest major airport to Watkins Glen? Gotta price flights from Vegas.

I think you get to pick from Stewart down by me, Albany, or Buffalo but I'm not sure

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So if the Glen works out I think it's safe to say Boston getting canceled was a good thing.

Plus lol gently caress boston.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
prolly woulda ended up with a bloody helmet sock there anyway

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

So if the Glen works out I think it's safe to say Boston getting canceled was a good thing.

Plus lol gently caress boston.

Well I mean you look at the reactions from the locals on both sides.

You had a whole bunch of NIMBY's bitching about how IndyCar was the literal devil and all this crazy bullshit they kept tossing out. ("Health danger","noise pollution").

Contrast that to what I've seen on social media about natives around Watkins Glen. I guess there's been people itching to see IndyCar there ever since the series left a few years a go. It's got a built in "racing" (ie people who will go to whatever is at the track) fanbase already just looking for an excuse to show up at the track..and just a whole lot of positives going forward.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looks like if I want a short drive, but a long day of flying, I'm headed into Ithaca. Cheaper flights into Rochester or Buffalo, but then it's a 2-1/2 hour drive each way. Fingers crossed they're able to stick with Labor Day weekend, round-trip Thursday/Monday flight prices are pretty reasonable.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bentai posted:

Looks like if I want a short drive, but a long day of flying, I'm headed into Ithaca. Cheaper flights into Rochester or Buffalo, but then it's a 2-1/2 hour drive each way. Fingers crossed they're able to stick with Labor Day weekend, round-trip Thursday/Monday flight prices are pretty reasonable.

yeah i left the regionals out, didn't know if you wanted to hop on a puddle jumper

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It'd make transit back to the airport a hell of a lot easier. Regardless of where I fly, and not counting race tickets, it'll be around a grand for me to attend. Tough but I can probably swing it.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd probably skip Pocono if the series went to the Glen. Also makes me wonder how many people would do the same.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

I'd probably skip Pocono if the series went to the Glen. Also makes me wonder how many people would do the same.

They are 8 hours away from each other.

e- more like 6 now that I think about it, but the point stands

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VikingSkull posted:

... i think its like 3 hours, if that.

Meanwhile the closest race to the entire Pacific Northwest is Sears Point, 9 hours from Portland and 12 from Seattle. Really need a race up there again.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Huh? It's 2 hours to Pocono from Philly, 4 hours to the Glen.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Meanwhile the closest race to the entire Pacific Northwest is Sears Point, 9 hours from Portland and 12 from Seattle. Really need a race up there again.

I wonder if Pocono and the Glen were 1 week apart how many people would attend both? Maybe do some sort of shared promotion between the two tracks and a discount deal if you buy tickets to both events. I'd make the trip from Grand Rapids out there twice, maybe even rent a RV for both weekends

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cygni posted:

Are we not racing at Portland for any obvious reasons or is it just money

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I love the people who have never driven on 81 and 380 itt

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

KingShibby posted:

I wonder if Pocono and the Glen were 1 week apart how many people would attend both? Maybe do some sort of shared promotion between the two tracks and a discount deal if you buy tickets to both events. I'd make the trip from Grand Rapids out there twice, maybe even rent a RV for both weekends

I imagine a few folks from central PA would/could do both. The difference in distance between going to Pocono and going to the Glen isn't that much if you're coming from Harrisburg.

Edit: actually it's an extra hour to Watkins Glen. Not a deal breaker for me, but possibly to others.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

go3 posted:

Are we not racing at Portland for any obvious reasons or is it just money

Other than being a pretty mediocre track for passing, it's money. Promoter would need a sponsor, like they used to have in G.I Joes before they went tits up, to have a chance of making any money. Sponsors want to see the race first before they sign on the line. Same ol catch 22 as ever.

With the amount of money Nike throws around in Oregon and their recent attempts to get into racing products, you would think something could happen there. Oh well.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

KingShibby posted:

We kicked it around for NASCAR for the Pocono-Watkins Glen-Michigan segment in August.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

Other than being a pretty mediocre track for passing, it's money. Promoter would need a sponsor, like they used to have in G.I Joes before they went tits up, to have a chance of making any money. Sponsors want to see the race first before they sign on the line. Same ol catch 22 as ever.

With the amount of money Nike throws around in Oregon and their recent attempts to get into racing products, you would think something could happen there. Oh well.

Well need to get Denny Hamlin to convince Nike to do something up here. But yeah there is only WoO which goes everywhere, NHRA for top series and after that it's K&N West, Hydroplanes during Seafair (which besides last year conflicted with NHRA). I'd loving get something worked out if something lined up in Portland. Hell bring back a Tacoma street race (that happened in the early 80s).

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Double post, but since we can't get tobacco sponsorship back, lets try to get those Scientology bucks back in racing... well except for Andretti Autosport. God I love the insane ways teams funded their cars in the 80s.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29070/when-scientology-sponsored-race-cars/

e: Also didn't know about the 1988 race with GTP vs Group C cars going head-to-head.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Double post, but since we can't get tobacco sponsorship back, lets try to get those Scientology bucks back in racing... well except for Andretti Autosport. God I love the insane ways teams funded their cars in the 80s.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29070/when-scientology-sponsored-race-cars/

e: Also didn't know about the 1988 race with GTP vs Group C cars going head-to-head.

quote:

Those plans almost came crashing down when Mario—Italy's favorite God-fearing son—arrived in Tampa to find the Porsche dressed in sponsorship logos for Dianetics. As the broadcasters revealed at the top of the show, Andretti refused to drive the car until it was cleansed of branding for Hubbard's homemade religion.

didn't think i could like mario more

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

I read the half with the Andretti's before I posted this. I read the part with Granatelli Jr and Guerrero and holy poo poo.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

BMB5150 posted:

I read the half with the Andretti's before I posted this. I read the part with Granatelli Jr and Guerrero and holy poo poo.
That escalated quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wicka posted:

didn't think i could like mario more

He is pretty much the best, so there's usually a good reason out there to like him more.

• Locked thread