Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frankly posted:

Yeah it's pretty crazy, I think picking bits and pieces of the mode and self-enforcing or modding to taste would be a better experience imo.

Vertibirds being the only way to fast travel between safe places is a pain in the arse generally because Cambridge/Danse's first mission look to be a complete nightmare. That craftable fast travel mod posted earlier looks like an excellent middle ground

Yeah I like it a lot, gives me a reason to start hoarding oil again bc lmao like I'm going to add other crops to my noodle cup/starch monocultures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Volkerball posted:

not seeing the benefit of this. how were you thinking about using it? i suppose you could use it to mass transfer a bunch of poo poo. weigh down settlers and companions and send them from one settlement to another.

This wouldn't actually work with most companions because all the humans and Dogmeat have severely reduced carry weight. The automatron companions might be pretty beastly though.

Honestly I said gently caress it and dumped two points in Strongback and Armorer (for the deep pockets mod). You level a lot faster in Survival mode anyway so its not like they're wasted.

Also, with the faster combat and reduced carry weight there's pretty much no reason to use a laser musket anymore. They weigh like eighteen pounds, are too slow for regular combat and can't be silenced like the other sniper weapons. Poor Preston.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think that the modern weapons mod is definitely way too powerful for survival mode. I can mow down groups like its nothing if I get the drop on them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
havent played in months. I'd gone back to play New Vegas. Lonesome Road with Project Nevada tweaked for extra lethal combat is one of the best experiences I've had with Fallout. How have things changed in the Boston setting? Mod tools out yet?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

havent played in months. I'd gone back to play New Vegas. Lonesome Road with Project Nevada tweaked for extra lethal combat is one of the best experiences I've had with Fallout. How have things changed in the Boston setting? Mod tools out yet?

Two DLCs have hit, and while they don't totally transform the game they sure give you a lot more poo poo to fool around with. Automatron lets you build robot settlers/companions or modify Codsworth, some with special powers that are awesome like free healing or marking enemies through walls. New mobs, too, hostile Mechanist junkbots and Raiders called Rust Devils who use robot companions and wear robot armor.

Wasteland Workshop is mostly cool poo poo for your settlements, but some is really handy. Cages for trapping mobs of your choice, for either farming them for materials, unleashing them for cage matches for your amusement, or taming them to turn into guards for your settlements with a bonus defense rating (like junkyard dogs). You can build your own decontamination arches to just spray off the radiation, make neon signs of your choosing, have actual GOOD lights to put up at night, and so on. People with Science 4 can make their own Fusion Reactors that provide 100 power to a settlement.

And just recently, the new Survival Mode patch has hit, similar to the New Vegas Hardcore mode where you need to eat and sleep regularly. It's even harder though, since you need to save only by sleeping in beds and everything kills you.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's up with the Spectacle Island radio tower?

The wikis and walkthroughs say that turning on the generator and then turning on the radio tower will send out a signal that causes all the mirelurks to retreat and makes the island usable. What the radio tower actually does is cause mirelurks to spawn everywhere and then roam around looking for someone to attack. So, exactly the opposite of what it says.

My first playthrough, I hadn't read anything and just assumed this was working as intended. Flip the switch, lots of mirelurks appear, I shoot them and get the meat. This time I wanted the tower to pacify them, but of course, it doesn't.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
When you hit the generator it causes all sorts of poo poo to spawn, then you need to run to the tower and turn that on too. I've never not had it drive everything off almost instantly.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
From what I remember, they'll mill around a little bit but should run away from you if you attempt to get close or engage in combat.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

blue squares posted:

I think that the modern weapons mod is definitely way too powerful for survival mode. I can mow down groups like its nothing if I get the drop on them

True enough, but with the WotC settings I use, starting a gunfight usually brings attention from other nearby groups. In an out-and-out gunfight in an area with lots of cover I usually come out on top too, but not so much out in the bush, especially against the Forged and their loving molotovs.

A silenced modern weapons gun will probably make things pretty cruisy though.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

When you hit the generator it causes all sorts of poo poo to spawn, then you need to run to the tower and turn that on too. I've never not had it drive everything off almost instantly.

It's turning the tower on that causes everything to spawn, both times that I did it.

However, this time I fast travelled away (eventually, it was hard to find a safe spot with all the mirelurks around), and when I fast travelled back, they were all gone. My first playthrough, I killed them all one by one. They were definitely still hostile and still fighting back.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dumb question, but where does Survival difficulty fall in terms of fight/monster difficulty? Is it higher than Very Hard?

The same as very hard actually. the relevant GMSTs are the same value.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

The same as very hard actually. the relevant GMSTs are the same value.

I thought Very Hard nerfs your damage by a lot, wheras Survival makes both you and enemies deadly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

I thought Very Hard nerfs your damage by a lot, wheras Survival makes both you and enemies deadly.

not according to the game settings records. On Very Hard and Survival you deal half damage and take twice normal default damage. On Hard it's 0.75 dealt and 1.25 received, on Normal it's 1 to 1, Easy 1.25 dealt and 0.75 received, on very easy it's twice dealt and half received.

For reference normal is set at 1.0 for both PCDamageByHP and PCDamageToHP

You can change these multipliers with my mod to, ah, create your own difficulty, as it were.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 10, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

TSV (True Survival) is the new value, with HC_DamageMultPerk affecting the player's damage bonus, and two other modifiers they put in because they apparently can't just have changed the TSV settings.

TSV is then multiplied by:
HC_OutgoingDamageMult (1.5) * HPByPCTSV
HC_IncomingDamageMult (2) * HPToPCTSV

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 10, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

TSV (True Survival) is the new value, with HC_DamageMultPerk affecting the player's damage bonus, and two other modifiers they put in because they apparently can't just have changed the TSV settings.

TSV is then multiplied by:
HC_OutgoingDamageMult (1.5) * HPByPCTSV
HC_IncomingDamageMult (2) * HPToPCTSV

Oooh I didn't realize those were a thing. It explains a lot though. Quick question, where did you grab the info for those three variables? Not every setting is externalized into the .esm so F04Edit isn't finding them, and the Creation Kit itself is useless at searching. Not a gamesetting as far as I can see at any rate.

E: it's in actorvalue information I'm an idiot ignore me

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Oooh I didn't realize those were a thing. It explains a lot though. Quick question, where did you grab the info for those three variables? Not every setting is externalized into the .esm so F04Edit isn't finding them, and the Creation Kit itself is useless at searching. Not a gamesetting as far as I can see at any rate.
These are actor values apparently. You know, the ones that are a pain in the rear end to keep track of? Thanks, Bethesda. :suicide:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12730/

I think it's a way to avoid changing damage ratios on NPC vs NPC combat, which is still hilariously bad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

These are actor values apparently. You know, the ones that are a pain in the rear end to keep track of? Thanks, Bethesda. :suicide:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12730/

hah you beat my edit. well gently caress me, I wish I found that when I was trying to update my mods after the survival update

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The game doesn't end after I beat it, right? I don't want to lock myself out of any future DLC or anything.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

There's always another settlement that needs the Minutemen's help, General.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

antidote posted:

The game doesn't end after I beat it, right? I don't want to lock myself out of any future DLC or anything.

Nope. Indeed, your chosen faction will continue to hand out radiant quests. You might eventually run out of non-repeating quests to do, but there's always more to discover. For example, I just found Pickman's Gallery for the first time. Heh heh.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Svartvit posted:

Stealth breaks the game completely in Survival just as it does in any other difficulty.

Pretty much. I'm playing a VATS Sniper and the only things that are even remotely threatening are enemies that I blunder into.

Speaking of blunders, has anyone else been having issues with spawns around the Cambridge Police/Polymer Labs area? It seems every time I get to that stretch of road part of a patrol spawns directly in front of me. I once had a skirmisher and a suicider spawn on top of me, for extra pants-making GBS threads excitement. I think the only thing that'd be worse than that is Rust Devils, but I've only managed to walk directly into them so far, no spawns.

Oddly, I also had Timothy spawn in the same manner, though in that circumstance I figured it was intentional since he's an escaped Synth.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

QuantaStarFire posted:

Pretty much. I'm playing a VATS Sniper and the only things that are even remotely threatening are enemies that I blunder into.

What perks or info am I missing? Everytime I used VATS to snipe, the hit probability was too low to warrant using VATS over a scoped shot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Suave Fedora posted:

What perks or info am I missing? Everytime I used VATS to snipe, the hit probability was too low to warrant using VATS over a scoped shot.

1) Lighting. A clearly lit target is much higher percentage to hit.

2) PER. Even if you don't take Sniper, have enough to get it. Eat your carrot drugs.

3) Range. Maximum range affects both accuracy and damage, and I believe that instead of just a maximum range there's a min and max for a sweet spot. Have not rigorously tested that though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And a certain broke-rear end companion perk.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Man, VATS sniping sounds like a lot of work. I'll stick with my "scoped shot kills one, alerts 3. subsequent shots miss/only wound. throw down mines and run away" build :c00lbutt:

Critical hits never miss though, right? I could see using the bank to VATS snipe a small group that way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It feels like it's my fault and not the game's, but I haven't had too good a time trying to play without VATS

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I almost never use VATS :confused:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

VATS is my emergency stop button when suddenly there's 5 ghouls and I walked right into them. Especially since my Endurance is pathetic and I run everywhere, I'll get maybe one clean shotgun blast out of my AP. then it's time to dose up with bufftats/jet/med-x to fight/ run and fight.

Unrelated, it took me way too long to realize they adjusted companion carry weight in survival. Poor dogmeat, too weak to carry 100lbs anymore.

Also, I deeply resent the settlement attack alerts now that there's no fast travel. Like, ok I'll run from corvega to sanctuary because codsworth is my homeboy but gently caress you tenpines bluff, I'm in the middle of some poo poo, get rekt. I imagine they'll get to be a lot more fun when I can vertibird into a warzone, but that's so far from now

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 11, 2016

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I want to use VATS badly because I love the cut-scenes and rag-dolling, just haven't been able to put together why my chance-to-hit has been such poo poo.

I'll definitely take your recommends. Upping PER is probably the most straightforward approach and see how that goes.

Would taking the Night Owl perk help? It has a description about night vision.

Regarding approaches; if I encounter multiple targets, I consider the first shot "free" and will use my rifle scope. Then I use VATS for the remaining, hip fire for the last and hope the explosive rounds don't turn me into giblets.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I only use VATS when I'm pretty much going to die unless a shot hits, or for the random 'this guy is halfway behind cover but there's a 43% chance to kill him by shooting him once in the leg.'

Also, as I predicted, Survival gets worse the longer you play it. Not because of inventory management or diseases or anything, just all the tedious running back and forth, and the way it discourages going back to settlements that are far out of the way, not due to danger (because nothing has respawned in like two in-game weeks) but because its just not worth taking thirty minutes to hike to and from Sanctuary just to switch companions or whatever, and it discourages settlement-building because you're not really going to bother making anything cool for a place you're never going to bother going back to. It's unfortunate because playing on Very Hard is way too easy, even with 1 END, and I like literally everything else about Survival, but when a third of your game time is spent running through empty fields you've already seen just to sell loot or mod your weapons/armor you kind of wonder why you're doing busywork in a video game. Its weird how many different ways they solved this problem in Elder Scrolls (carriages, silt striders, horses, running around super fast as a werewolf) but didn't consider how boring it would be in F4, or maybe confusing tedium with challenge.

Maybe I'll just wait for console mods and someone to add that fast travel motorcycle to the PS4 version :shrug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Where is the first bed I can sleep/save when I leave the vault because I can't find it and have now died twice at the first Deathclaw and "get to" start from scratch again

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Go back into the vault and sleep in the Overseers office or use the workshop to build one.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The GIG posted:

Go back into the vault and sleep in the Overseers office or use the workshop to build one.

Tried the vault, wouldn't let me sleep. I thought i couldn't use the workshop until i saved Preston's people

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can use it as soon as you kill the bugs. Same with the red rocket and the mole rats.

That said, the first building in Concord has a mattress upstairs

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Also feel free to puss out like I did and hide inside that blown out storefront as you plink at the deathclaw. Let brave stupid dogmeat tank it.

Sometimes the deathclaw fits through the doorway. If that happens, idk run upstairs and pray.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Azhais posted:

You can use it as soon as you kill the bugs. Same with the red rocket and the mole rats.

That said, the first building in Concord has a mattress upstairs

I found the mattress but I can only sleep for 5 hours and it wouldn't save. I just restarted stepping out of my cryo chamber right now and if I can't figure it out before I die this time I'm going to just go back to hard

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can only sleep for 3 hours on sleeping bags and 5 on "dirty" mattresses and there's zero reason to sleep more than 1 since less than 6 is literally worthless for actual resting purposes.

If it isn't saving you've got other issues. Anything you can sleep on should save.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Azhais posted:

You can only sleep for 3 hours on sleeping bags and 5 on "dirty" mattresses and there's zero reason to sleep more than 1 since less than 6 is literally worthless for actual resting purposes.

If it isn't saving you've got other issues. Anything you can sleep on should save.

Wonderful. And I'm on Xbone so is not like a mod hosed up.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well, I slept three times in a bed that I made in sanctuary and once in red rocket I got killed in Concord and it started me over at the title screen without the ability to load a game. I didn't have a choice to save at any time after I slept I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Azhais posted:

there's zero reason to sleep more than 1 since less than 6 is literally worthless for actual resting purposes.

Really? I know you can't overcome "Tired" with less than six, but you can get from overtired to tired, right? I usually just carry nuka cola instead

• Locked thread