Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Has this thread touched on UberRush at all? The on-demand courier app thing they've had going on in a few cities, including here in NYC. They're applying the same business model to people on bikes and it's pretty hosed up. It's a dangerous business and the fact that they're not providing worker's comp is crazy. Most couriers aren't especially rolling in money and getting hurt on the job can take you out of commission for weeks or months, and the fact that Uber is willing to just throw their hands up and go "well as an independent contractor maybe you should've thought of that before getting hurt on the job, hmmmmm?" instead of paying for it is just so slimy. They don't bother providing any training or even require helmets. They just rope a bunch of kids off the street promising decent pay and kick them to the curb as soon as they're no longer useful.

Like, I work for a big courier company and while we do some shady financial stuff to avoid getting hosed over by insurance, we actually care about our employees. Even if you're some deadbeat who worked two weeks, did five runs, and got flattened by a taxi on your way to the sixth we'll still take care of you until you're better. We might fire you after that but it's a company's responsibility to care for the people making it money, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kit Walker posted:

it's a company's responsibility to care for the people making it money, damnit.

The problem is that a lot of very rich people have a pretty big interest in eliminating that. Especially with the economy hurting as it is now; for every person you break there are probably ten more desperate for the hours.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem is that a lot of very rich people have a pretty big interest in eliminating that. Especially with the economy hurting as it is now; for every person you break there are probably ten more desperate for the hours.

The irony there is that that's ALREADY how courier companies work. If you skip a rainy day or lose a package, you'll get canned immediately because there are countless people willing to do the job that don't suck, and consequently we have an extremely high turnover rate with just a small core group that's been doing the job for years. We just don't skimp on paying for injured workers because it's unethical as gently caress. It's one of them most basic aspects of the social contract. Don't gently caress over the people who helped you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kit Walker posted:

The irony there is that that's ALREADY how courier companies work. If you skip a rainy day or lose a package, you'll get canned immediately because there are countless people willing to do the job that don't suck, and consequently we have an extremely high turnover rate with just a small core group that's been doing the job for years. We just don't skimp on paying for injured workers because it's unethical as gently caress. It's one of them most basic aspects of the social contract. Don't gently caress over the people who helped you.

Paying for injured workers costs money and makes insurance costs go up. Some rich guy is going to look at that and think "how do I eliminate this expense?" and a way to do that is to make sure you don't pay that cost, social contract be damned. It's kind of the inherent problem with "everybody is a contractor now" and the gig economy. It treats people as tools to be used until broken and thrown away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, do whatever it is you do to oppose them. Just be honest that you're targeting them specifically because they're brash and have an app, because the taxi industry has had the same employment model for decades with nary a peep.

Most suggestions for Uber alternatives were either "better public transportation" or "just get a loving Designated Driver".

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

Like, I work for a big courier company and while we do some shady financial stuff to avoid getting hosed over by insurance, we actually care about our employees. Even if you're some deadbeat who worked two weeks, did five runs, and got flattened by a taxi on your way to the sixth we'll still take care of you until you're better. We might fire you after that but it's a company's responsibility to care for the people making it money, damnit.

Emphasis mine. Firing someone because they got injured (especially on the job) is extremely questionable, on top of being unethical... I'd run that by an employment lawyer.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Emphasis mine. Firing someone because they got injured (especially on the job) is extremely questionable, on top of being unethical... I'd run that by an employment lawyer.

The phrasing made me think of letting someone go who hosed up after they're healed if the gently caress up was what injured them.
Like at my company you don't get immunity from violating our safety rules just because doing so hurt you. An example I recall was a guy who was on a decent track did something very stupid that pretty much cost him his hand, and initially tried to cover up what really happened. So we paid for his recovery, but sure as hell demoted him when he could come back to work making it clear we could never put someone with a mark like that on his record back in a supervisor role. He didn't want the demotion so was let go.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I'm glad Uber never took of here. Taxis were already using an app (hailo) that allows you to see where the nearest ones were and hail them to your area.

And when uber did try move into the market they couldn't circumvent the regulation in place to keep taxis from saturating and causing excess traffic. They were only able to hire licenced taxi drivers. Not sure why America and other countries let them bypass regulation.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I'm glad Uber never took of here. Taxis were already using an app (hailo) that allows you to see where the nearest ones were and hail them to your area.

And when uber did try move into the market they couldn't circumvent the regulation in place to keep taxis from saturating and causing excess traffic. They were only able to hire licenced taxi drivers. Not sure why America and other countries let them bypass regulation.

In America, we deeply believe that if you are clever, you can do more with less. Therefore, if someone is claiming to do more with less, then you would have to be stupid to object to what they are doing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I would attribute that more to greed than some sort of patriotic boosterism.

... which might be the same thing for some people, I suppose.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, do whatever it is you do to oppose them. Just be honest that you're targeting them specifically because they're brash and have an app, because the taxi industry has had the same employment model for decades with nary a peep.

Sure, it's by and large the same employment model. My problem with that, though, is that Uber is being lauded as "disruptive" and "innovative" for that exact same model. Nobody's going to argue that regular taxi drivers being contractors is anything great, but somehow Uber's model is amazing. Praising a system that hurts its workers pisses me off.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Subjunctive posted:

There is not "nary a peep" as this employment model in the taxi industry (in NYC) has consistently been the target of regulation and reform, and in its current state is a far cry from the model embraced by Uber. Personally, I would like to see it move even closer to a standard employment model; but knowing that probably isn't in the cards, it should at least be held to the same standards as the local taxis.

And 1099 is but one of many sins embraced by Uber in the eyes of people in this thread.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Mozi posted:

I would attribute that more to greed than some sort of patriotic boosterism.

... which might be the same thing for some people, I suppose.

Karia posted:

Sure, it's by and large the same employment model. My problem with that, though, is that Uber is being lauded as "disruptive" and "innovative" for that exact same model. Nobody's going to argue that regular taxi drivers being contractors is anything great, but somehow Uber's model is amazing. Praising a system that hurts its workers pisses me off.

Is it really that hard to understand? Taxi and livery service in a lot of the US is slow (takes a long time to get a car), expensive, and the rides are of lovely quality. Service could stay bad because of high capital costs to enter (buying and maintaining the cars, etc) and regulatory barriers that kept new traditional companies from coming in and competing. Uber brought better service at lower prices to a ton of places by turning personal vehicles into capital and saying gently caress you to the rules protecting fat cat incumbents at the expense of consumers. That is an amazing model.

As far as hurting workers, why do so many drivers continue to drive for Uber? Are they dumb? Are shut-in goons doing back-of-the-napkin math based on cursory internet research more capable of figuring out what's in Uber drivers' best interests than the actual Uber drivers are?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

wateroverfire posted:

As far as hurting workers, why do so many drivers continue to drive for Uber? Are they dumb? Are shut-in goons doing back-of-the-napkin math based on cursory internet research more capable of figuring out what's in Uber drivers' best interests than the actual Uber drivers are?

1) It's a lot less than you think, they have an amazing churn rate.
2) They're poor enough and government aid is hard to get, so people will do anything to be able to feed their family, but then I remember that you think that's a good thing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I always figured it was people who were under employed and had odd chunks of time to fill.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Marenghi posted:

Hailo actually tried to move in to the US but failed because Uber was already big enough to eat their lunch at that point. Hailo pulled out as a result.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I always figured it was people who were under employed and had odd chunks of time to fill.

For a lot of people, it is. Or it's something to do for awhile while they look for something else. Very few Uber drivers see Uber as their career.

duz posted:

2) They're poor enough and government aid is hard to get, so people will do anything to be able to feed their family

It's just a job, dude. Sometimes people take jobs because they need money and that's ok.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ducttape posted:

In America, we deeply believe that if you are clever, you can do more with less. Therefore, if someone is claiming to do more with less, then you would have to be stupid to object to what they are doing.

"Work smarter, not harder!"

Panfilo posted:

That's exactly how all the "sharing economy" companies present themselves. AirBNB is only letting people rent out their spare rooms -- just don't pay attention to those people buying up housing and renting it out without any attention to hotel regulations. Uber is friendly people sharing their rides -- overlook Uber's encouraging drivers to lease cars for Uber use. And so on. "Sharing" is what you do with friends without being paid. "Contracting" is what you do when you get paid, and shock horror, if you contract in a regulated industry, you have to follow the regulations.

Another vile thing Uber does is that they provide insurance that steps in to cover the gap after your car insurance kicks in ... without telling drivers that providing a livery service, which is how the insurance company regards Uber driving, will void your car insurance.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
wateroverfire I don't think I was saying what you think I was saying... but in any case, it's true that the taxi industry is a rent-seeking protectionist racket that benefits medallion owners and screws customers. I don't hate Uber in concept but they could do a lot more for people who work for them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mozi posted:

wateroverfire I don't think I was saying what you think I was saying... but in any case, it's true that the taxi industry is a rent-seeking protectionist racket that benefits medallion owners and screws customers. I don't hate Uber in concept but they could do a lot more for people who work for them.
Comcast is a monopolistic business that provides terrible service because they are the sole provider in many areas. (Mine's been down or trickle-slow since Thursday. "We're working on it.") It consistently wins consumerist.com's website for most hated company in America.

A hypothetical startup that challenged Comcast with individuals competing for bids to lay fiber, with the quality of said installation being monitored by user downvotes, and with no individual having bonds or contractor licenses, would not be better for the town, even if it's better short-term for the fiber-layers and cheaper for the residents. Are builders in the Home Depot parking lot hiring day laborers who are paid off the books "disruptive"?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Panfilo posted:

That's what the companies want you to think. The numbers tend to show a different story which is why they fight so hard to keep from releasing those numbers.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A hypothetical startup that challenged Comcast with individuals competing for bids to lay fiber, with the quality of said installation being monitored by user downvotes, and with no individual having bonds or contractor licenses, would not be better for the town, even if it's better short-term for the fiber-layers and cheaper for the residents. Are builders in the Home Depot parking lot hiring day laborers who are paid off the books "disruptive"?

You forgot part of this analogy, the people laying the fiber are not filing right of ways so they're just making things harder for the people obeying the rules and anyone else after them.

duz fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 10, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Comcast is a monopolistic business that provides terrible service because they are the sole provider in many areas. (Mine's been down or trickle-slow since Thursday. "We're working on it.") It consistently wins consumerist.com's website for most hated company in America.

OK, I think we probably agree? There is some as-of-yet unknown better option between a monopoly and a complete lack of regulation.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A hypothetical startup that challenged Comcast with individuals competing for bids to lay fiber, with the quality of said installation being monitored by user downvotes, and with no individual having bonds or contractor licenses, would not be better for the town, even if it's better short-term for the fiber-layers and cheaper for the residents.

Are builders in the Home Depot parking lot hiring day laborers who are paid off the books "disruptive"?

But that's because laying fiber involves things like tearing up streets to lay cable and stringing additional lines, which imply problems for the town that have no analogs in the Uber situation. An analagous startup would be like...a company that contracted with you to buy your unused Comcast bandwidth so it could bundle and resell it to non-subscribers as on-demand broadband or something. And the on-demand broadband is faster and more reliable than Comcast service.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are builders in the Home Depot parking lot hiring day laborers who are paid off the books "disruptive"?

No, because that's been a standard business model for construction companies since forever! :devil:

duz posted:

That's what the companies want you to think. The numbers tend to show a different story which is why they fight so hard to keep from releasing those numbers.

The last time they released numbers it did in fact seem to be the case, though? Do you have sources besides that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

But that's because laying fiber involves things like tearing up streets to lay cable and stringing additional lines, which imply problems for the town that have no analogs in the Uber situation. An analagous startup would be like...a company that contracted with you to buy your unused Comcast bandwidth so it could bundle and resell it to non-subscribers as on-demand broadband or something. And the on-demand broadband is faster and more reliable than Comcast service.
The fiber-laying is an analogy, not an identity, as you point out. However, if a town has an interest in keeping the streets un-torn-up, it also has an interest in making sure that people who drive-for-hire know more about driving than private commuters. See "Taxi & Chauffeur Licenses in CA" here here. Los Angeles requires a thorough background check and a written test. Uber drivers in LA don't have to provide either of those, and there's evidence in multiple places of Uber driving background checks being inadequate.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Work smarter, not harder!"

That's exactly how all the "sharing economy" companies present themselves. AirBNB is only letting people rent out their spare rooms -- just don't pay attention to those people buying up housing and renting it out without any attention to hotel regulations. Uber is friendly people sharing their rides -- overlook Uber's encouraging drivers to lease cars for Uber use. And so on. "Sharing" is what you do with friends without being paid. "Contracting" is what you do when you get paid, and shock horror, if you contract in a regulated industry, you have to follow the regulations.

Another vile thing Uber does is that they provide insurance that steps in to cover the gap after your car insurance kicks in ... without telling drivers that providing a livery service, which is how the insurance company regards Uber driving, will void your car insurance.

Regarding Air BnB, I'm curious if it's really more profitable to buy a house and rent it out this way vs just leasing it to people on year to year leases like people already do. Or is this just some retarded loophole where they buy a motel but aren't subject to the same bylaws and regulations? Whose getting screwed over in that scenario?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Regarding Air BnB, I'm curious if it's really more profitable to buy a house and rent it out this way vs just leasing it to people on year to year leases like people already do. Or is this just some retarded loophole where they buy a motel but aren't subject to the same bylaws and regulations? Whose getting screwed over in that scenario?

The people who are doing it seem to think it's more profitable.

quote:

Airbnb is also releasing data on hosts in its hometown, which it shared with The Chronicle. The numbers show that 1,149 listings, or a fifth of all full-home rentals here, are controlled by hosts who rent more than one entire home via the site. Since local law restricts vacation rentals to permanent residents offering their own home, listing multiple properties is a red flag.

Airbnb said 478 of the multiple-property operators are either licensed hotels or rentals of 30 or more days, which are legal. The remaining 671 listings are controlled by 288 hosts. Those hosts, the population Airbnb is now targeting for possible expulsion, brought in 17 percent of San Francisco host revenue for the 12 months ended March 15, despite representing only 7 percent of all listings in the city.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The fiber-laying is an analogy, not an identity, as you point out. However, if a town has an interest in keeping the streets un-torn-up, it also has an interest in making sure that people who drive-for-hire know more about driving than private commuters. See "Taxi & Chauffeur Licenses in CA" here here. Los Angeles requires a thorough background check and a written test. Uber drivers in LA don't have to provide either of those, and there's evidence in multiple places of Uber driving background checks being inadequate.

I think there's some interest in making sure vehicles are regulated for safety and that drivers aren't scam artists, but how much of the regulation is doing that as opposed to setting up a barrier of entry to protect established cab companies? The LA requirements, for instance require the endorsement of a taxi franchise to get permitted and that freezes out independant operators. And official licensing doesn't seem to guarantee good experiences. I have been overcharged for trips in cabs from drivers who tried to take the long way around to pad the fare (happens all the time to me), from some who tried to negotiate an up-front fee more expensive than the trip would be if metered (happens a lot), from a couple who outright tampered with their meters, etc. I've been in licensed cabs that were falling apart but somehow passed inspection (I hope). Most of my cab experiences have been fine...but so have all of my Uber experiences. I think by and large that private commuters are savvy enough to handle driving people around, and Uber's fare system keeps them more honest than many cab drivers.

I can say similar things about AirBNB. Ostensibly AirBNB hosts are flauting hotel regulations, and that's bad. But I have stayed in more hotels and motels than I ever wanted to that were dirty, insecure, sprug surprise charges, etc, while most of my AirBNB experiences have been positive while also being cheaper and providing a better service (whole apartment or house for me and my guests instead of a room or suite) that in many ways is more secure (because a bunch of strangers aren't passing through and no one is coming into the space while I'm not there). So from a user's perspective, who cares if they are violating the law? The law is doing nothing good for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"I have had bad experiences in regulated businesses, therefore regulations don't matter" is like "I got mugged, therefore laws against assault don't matter". In any case, you could set up a business that competed against the dirtiness, unreliability, and so on of hotels while still complying with the zoning, fire exit, and accessibility standards that apply to hotels. The problem is that the business wouldn't be cheaper any more, because sprinklers, multi-zoned properties, and accessibility cost money.

Sure, your average Uber driver is friendlier, the car is cleaner, and the service is more reliable than your average taxi. The end-user experience, assuming your driver isn't a violent criminal or somebody with multiple driving violations, is pretty great. There is more than end-user experience to running a business. This is why regulations exist. For instance, if I live in an apartment, and the apartment above me is rented on AirBNB full-time, the AirBNB renters are happy. I, meanwhile, am coping with more traffic in the halls at odd hours of the night, more noise (because short-term renters don't have any reason to stay on good terms with the neighbors), and very likely more physical damage to common areas. San Francisco, which has nowhere near enough long-term housing, is having its housing market further depleted by people running illegal hotels out of residential property.

Note: I live in a detached suburban home. This is the hypothetical "I".

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I have had bad experiences in regulated businesses, therefore regulations don't matter" is like "I got mugged, therefore laws against assault don't matter".

There is also "regulation that creates barrier to competition is the result of corrupt Big Taxi" and not "it is possible someone died because of this" or "labor protects that are the result of decades of fighting." I will be the first to admit that regulation of taxi services are often written to protect entrenched services, but they are also the product of decades of discovery in how to protect customers and labor from harmful practices. It is not as if Uber is some scrappy little guy who is looking to cut corners on thin margins, they have a ton of weight and capital to throw around.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

wateroverfire posted:

I can say similar things about AirBNB. Ostensibly AirBNB hosts are flauting hotel regulations, and that's bad. But I have stayed in more hotels and motels than I ever wanted to that were dirty, insecure, sprug surprise charges, etc, while most of my AirBNB experiences have been positive while also being cheaper and providing a better service (whole apartment or house for me and my guests instead of a room or suite) that in many ways is more secure (because a bunch of strangers aren't passing through and no one is coming into the space while I'm not there). So from a user's perspective, who cares if they are violating the law? The law is doing nothing good for me.

Except for when things go wrong and they didn't have proper insurance, or how much easier it is for the regulators to enforce/catch a public facing and licensed hotel violating safety and sanitation ordinance than a secret hotel only open occasionally. In the same way I've had some much tastier meals cooked in people's homes than McDonalds, and I'm sure there's some fast food places not following health and safety code, but that's not an argument for why everyone should be able to sell food made in their kitchens and 'disrupt' rules about food handling and prep.

Hell both the airbnb and uber examples do have damage to a public good making them analogous to the disruptive cable laying example. Besides wear and tear on roads, air quality is affected. air resource boards have more practical room for fleet regulation telling a taxi or freight company "You can only put out X tons of CO2" vs consumer car use.

Airbnb has harmed the housing/rental inventory in urban areas like LA, where we've seen rent controlled units taken off the market to instead lease out as short term rentals.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I am really kicking myself I didn't go buy some dump in Palo Alto, put in a maze of baby gates and rent out every room, closet, and attic space to techbros. I probably could've already paid it off, even with Bay Area housing prices.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I have had bad experiences in regulated businesses, therefore regulations don't matter" is like "I got mugged, therefore laws against assault don't matter".

I mean...not really? Running a hotel is a very different type of endevour from short-term renting an apartment unit and applying the same regulations doesn't make sense, or offer me any more security over for instance staying at a friend's place. The codes that govern the construction of apartment buildings are adequate to ensure the safety of single-unit operations, and AirBNB has a reputation system that encourages hosts to keep their spaces tidy and inviting (also, AirBNB will compensate you if something's amiss).

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sure, your average Uber driver is friendlier, the car is cleaner, and the service is more reliable than your average taxi. The end-user experience, assuming your driver isn't a violent criminal or somebody with multiple driving violations, is pretty great. There is more than end-user experience to running a business. This is why regulations exist. For instance, if I live in an apartment, and the apartment above me is rented on AirBNB full-time, the AirBNB renters are happy. I, meanwhile, am coping with more traffic in the halls at odd hours of the night, more noise (because short-term renters don't have any reason to stay on good terms with the neighbors), and very likely more physical damage to common areas. San Francisco, which has nowhere near enough long-term housing, is having its housing market further depleted by people running illegal hotels out of residential property.

Note: I live in a detached suburban home. This is the hypothetical "I".

You could equally have loud neighbors, or neighbors with houseguests over all the time. Your recourse would be the same, wouldn't it? How much extra traffic does one family short-term occupying a unit cause vs one renting longer term, anyway?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Panfilo posted:

I am really kicking myself I didn't go buy some dump in Palo Alto, put in a maze of baby gates and rent out every room, closet, and attic space to techbros. I probably could've already paid it off, even with Bay Area housing prices.

"Looks like rents going up again" *counts money sadly*

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

I mean...not really? Running a hotel is a very different type of endevour from short-term renting an apartment unit and applying the same regulations doesn't make sense, or offer me any more security over for instance staying at a friend's place.
When you stay at a friend's place, you are not paying for a service. When you pay somebody for a regulated service, there are legal requirements. "Sure, come on, sleep on my couch" is different from "Pay me XdX to sleep on my couch for 5 nights." If you can't perceive that distinction, we're going to keep on talking past each other.

quote:

The codes that govern the construction of apartment buildings are adequate to ensure the safety of single-unit operations,
Hotels have stricter regulations on sprinklers and fire escapes than do apartment buildings (at least in my area). Hotels also have stricter regulations on accessible bathrooms and so on. Hotels are under Federal accommodation laws prohibiting their discriminating against renters on race. Study showing that AirBnB hosts discriminate based on race.

quote:

You could equally have loud neighbors, or neighbors with houseguests over all the time. Your recourse would be the same, wouldn't it? How much extra traffic does one family short-term occupying a unit cause vs one renting longer term, anyway?
If I have loud upstairs neighbors, I can walk upstairs, knock on the door, and politely explain the problem. If the problem continues, I can talk to the landlord.

If I walk upstairs and talk to an AirBNB renter, they don't care what I think, because they don't have to listen to what the landlord says: they'll be gone in a week anyway. A short-term guest has no incentive at all to be a responsible neighbor. In any case, there is a difference between residential zoning and hotel zoning because the law acknowledges that living next to/above a hotel is different from living next to a single family.

AirBNB is flouting numerous laws regarding hotels, but claiming to offer a better experience than a hotel. If you're operating a business that competes with hotels, you ought to be playing by the same rules. As archangelwar pointed out, all these regulations were created in response to injustices and actual tragedies.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Except for when things go wrong and they didn't have proper insurance, or how much easier it is for the regulators to enforce/catch a public facing and licensed hotel violating safety and sanitation ordinance than a secret hotel only open occasionally. In the same way I've had some much tastier meals cooked in people's homes than McDonalds, and I'm sure there's some fast food places not following health and safety code, but that's not an argument for why everyone should be able to sell food made in their kitchens and 'disrupt' rules about food handling and prep.

In reference to apartments, we're talking about units built for people to live in, that have had people living in them, and where actual people do in fact live much of the time. If they're not too deathtrappy to be occupied 24/7 by a long term tenant, what are you worried is going to happen if you're there for a week?

In reference to food, much like hotels, there are considerations that apply to running an industrial kitchen that just don't apply to having someone over for dinner or having house guests for a bit.

Coolness Averted posted:

Hell both the airbnb and uber examples do have damage to a public good making them analogous to the disruptive cable laying example. Besides wear and tear on roads, air quality is affected. air resource boards have more practical room for fleet regulation telling a taxi or freight company "You can only put out X tons of CO2" vs consumer car use.

Airbnb has harmed the housing/rental inventory in urban areas like LA, where we've seen rent controlled units taken off the market to instead lease out as short term rentals.

Seems like a stretch. A ride that happens on Uber is a ride that, presumably, was going to happen anyway through another channel. Where is the saving on road maintinence or air quality? And it's not AirBNB loving over the housing markets in LA and San Fran.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

wateroverfire posted:

I mean...not really? Running a hotel is a very different type of endevour from short-term renting an apartment unit and applying the same regulations doesn't make sense, or offer me any more security over for instance staying at a friend's place. The codes that govern the construction of apartment buildings are adequate to ensure the safety of single-unit operations, and AirBNB has a reputation system that encourages hosts to keep their spaces tidy and inviting (also, AirBNB will compensate you if something's amiss).

About that safety arguement...

https://medium.com/matter/living-and-dying-on-airbnb-6bff8d600c04#.r4nz7s608

quote:

The rope swing looked inviting. Photos of it on Airbnb brought my family to the cottage in Texas. Hanging from a tree as casually as baggy jeans, the swing was the essence of leisure, of Southern hospitality, of escape. When my father decided to give it a try on Thanksgiving morning, the trunk it was tied to broke in half and fell on his head, immediately ending most of his brain activity.

I was in bed when my mom found him. Her screams brought me down to the yard where I saw the tree snapped in two and his body on the ground. I knelt down and pulled him up by the shoulders. Blood sprayed my blue sweatshirt and a few crumpled autumn leaves. We were face-to-face, but his head hung limply, his right eye dislodged, his mouth full of blood, his tongue swirling around with each raspy breath.

Startups that redefine social and economic relations pop up in an instant. Lawsuits and regulations lag behind. While my family may be the first guests to speak out about a wrongful death at an Airbnb rental, it shouldn’t exactly come as a surprise. Staying with a stranger or inviting one into your home is an inherently dicey proposition. Hotel rooms are standardized for safety, monitored by staff, and often quite expensive. Airbnb rentals, on the other hand, are unregulated, eclectic, and affordable, and the safety standards are only slowly materializing.

To be fair, Airbnb has always put basic safeguards in place, like user reviews. But its general approach to safety is consistent with Silicon Valley’s “build it first, mend it later” philosophy. When an early product produces negative outcomes and bad press, apologize. Then, fix it; make it better. “We let her down, and for that we are very sorry,” CEO Brian Chesky wrote in 2011, after a San Francisco woman, “EJ,” returned home to find her apartment destroyed, her possessions burned, and her family heirlooms stolen. When her blog post documenting the ordeal went viral, they changed their policy to guarantee $50,000, then $1 million, in property damages and hired enough customer service reps to man the phones 24–7.

Less has been done to protect guests against hosts, presumably because fewer horror stories have gone public. When an American man was bit by a dog left behind at a homeshare in Argentina this March, Airbnb refused to cover his medical expenses until after The New York Times began inquiring. (About that incident, Airbnb told me, “Our initial response didn’t measure up, and we’re constantly auditing our customer service team to ensure these kinds of errors don’t happen. In this case, we worked with the guest to help cover his medical and other expenses, and we provided a full refund of his booking costs.”) Home safety tips were not incorporated into the sign-up process for new properties until after my father’s incident

Had the hosts of the Texas property opted to become part of a community of more traditional B&Bs, they would have encountered a cumbersome but rigorous process, according to the Texas Bed and Breakfast Association’s executive director Connie Hall. “For new members, they are inspected with an overnight stay, and then every two years, our properties are inspected,” she says, covering everything from cleanliness to decor, and ensuring that individual rooms have a deadbolt, smoke detectors are functioning, and landscaping seems safe. “As far as the safety stuff, it’s mandatory for our members that they meet all these criteria,” adds Hall.

Introducing similar measures would not only require Airbnb to spend money, it would also mean flirting with liability it would rather outsource to hosts. (As the company’s website clearly states: “Airbnb has no control over the conduct of Hosts and disclaims all liability.”)

“What [sharing economy startups] need to be in order to minimize liability is as passive a platform as possible,” lawyer Jim Rosenfeld told a Cardozo Law School panel this March. “The more they themselves are providing content and providing services” — like vouching for the safety of a property — “the greater their risk of exposure. The more they’re like a bulletin board or an old-fashioned matchmaking service” — in a word, Craigslist — “… the better off they are.”

While “Airbnb’ing a room” has become the norm for many travelers, the company denies it has anything to do with lodging. Rather, it’s “a trusted community marketplace” and “an online platform that connects hosts who have accommodations to rent with guests seeking to rent such accommodations.” Of course, platforms are not neutral pieces of technology: they are embedded with the values of the marketplace, strategically designed for maximum profit and minimal liability. Companies that take advantage of such ambiguity pose risks to consumers, particularly when they’re trafficking in human experience, not just data or speech like Napster, Tumblr, and others before them who have appealed to their platform status to weather challenges to the legally murky activities they host.

But companies are highly strategic about which aspects of their platform they’re willing to invest in and which parts they ignore. Airbnb, for its part, figured out early on that “really bad” photos of its listings in New York City were keeping guests away, as co-founder Joe Gebbia recalled to Fast Company in 2012: “People were using camera phones and taking Craigslist-quality pictures. Surprise! No one was booking because you couldn’t see what you were paying for.”

Airbnb’s solution was to send professional photographers to document hosts’ properties free of charge. The program was a success: professional photography quickly helped double revenue in New York and is now available nationally. Of course, were Airbnb to invest in safety requirements by offering home inspections or by analyzing photo content to target higher-risk properties and features (pools, saunas, trampolines, etc.) with site-specific safety recommendations, such a program could be far more costly, and might jeopardize Airbnb’s covetable neutrality as a platform. The irony is that amateur innkeepers who couldn’t be trusted with the banal task of photographing and marketing their properties are expected to excel at hospitality’s most important rule: keeping guests safe and alive.

The result: Airbnb is willing to send someone to make sure your trees look beautiful in their photos, but won’t deal with whether or not those trees will fall on your head.

In 2014, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman published an analysis of four years worth of subpoenaed data on rentals where the host was not staying on the premises. It showed that more than a third of the revenue generated by those Airbnbs in New York City — $168 million — went to informal hoteliers who controlled anywhere from three to 272 properties, some of whom earned millions of (likely untaxed) dollars annually. Seventy-two percent of all rentals were either violating housing laws against short-term rentals or using commercial properties for residential purposes. And in 2013, as many as 200 listings on Airbnb appeared to function as informal hostels, which are outlawed across New York State for safety reasons. One Brooklyn Airbnb listing managed to cram in 13 visitors on an average night. In typical Airbnb fashion, once the news of the quantity of illegal hotel bookings went public, Airbnb scrubbed 2,000 listings from its site overnight, just in time for an important court date in New York.

In New York State, the Multiple Dwelling Law prohibits New Yorkers from renting out their apartments for less than 30 days if they’re not staying on the premises. It is intended to preserve affordable housing and to help keep tourists out of properties that aren’t up to fire code. As routine inspections by New York City’s Department of Buildings show, illegal hotels often create dangerous scenarios for guests — by neglecting to offer automatic sprinklers, fire alarms, or proper means of egress, among other violations. “Visitors who stay in transient residential occupancies are not familiar with the layout of the building, including the exit stairwells,” Thomas Jensen, chief of fire safety for the FDNY, explained in an affidavit. “Occupants of transient accommodations therefore are likely to find it more difficult to evacuate the building quickly.”

While New York requires hotels to adhere to much stricter safety standards than apartment buildings (portable fire extinguishers, automatic sprinklers, posted emergency guidelines), unregulated hotels — whether a sketchy commercial operation or a branding consultant’s Williamsburg loft — usually don’t. “[T]he visitor is thus placed at significantly increased risk of injury or death,” adds Jensen, noting that the stricter standards Airbnb rentals may ignore have helped decrease fire-related fatalities in New York City by more than 80 percent from 1976 to 2013.

Today, we are proud that over 50 million guests have had a positive experience in an Airbnb listing,” Airbnb told me, in a statement. “We’ve grown from 1 million guests over a year to 1 million guests on our peak night and negative incidents are incredibly rare. Sadly, there have been tragic accidents.”

While reporting this story, I discovered that my father was not the only person to die in an Airbnb. During the 2013 holiday season, a Canadian woman and five of her friends stayed together in Taiwan for a wedding, booking accommodations through Airbnb. On December 30, she was found dead. Airbnb did acknowledge her death, in their statement to me. But her tragic accident, like my father’s, has been left out of the company’s self-reported narrative about its safety record until now.

The details of her death are sparse, reported in part by local English-language media: A leaking water heater placed on a fully enclosed balcony next to the room she was staying had filled the apartment with carbon monoxide. Her five friends staying in the adjoining room were hospitalized and survived. The apartment was being run as an illegal hostel by two men who lacked proper permitting, and didn’t bother to install a carbon monoxide detector or conform to “structural or fire safety standards.”

I was able to unearth a few more details from William B. Smith, a San Francisco lawyer, who presented this account at a legal conference in March. While her heirs had originally reached out to him about representing them in a lawsuit against Airbnb, they decided to go their own way after the company offered “$2,000,000 to resolve the wrongful death case while telling the family that there is no basis for liability… and it is being offered only for humanitarian reasons,” according to his paper. Then they disappeared from contact. My attempts to reach out to one of her heirs who posted an email address in a public message about the death on social media went unanswered.

Attempts to contact the victim’s father through his employer were also left without a response. In response to queries about their handling of the incident, Airbnb said:
“When we learned about this in late 2013, we immediately reached out to the guests’ family to provide our full support and express our deepest condolences. We permanently removed the host from our community….We attempted to reach the other [guests] multiple times in late 2013 and early 2014 to offer our support but did not receive any response from them.”
Some of Matter’s questions about the Canadian’s death waded into what Airbnb considered an issue of confidentiality. When asked what “humanitarian reasons” Airbnb was trying to address with their settlement with the deceased’s family, Airbnb responded, “Out of respect for our community members’ privacy, we generally do not comment on the conversations we have with them.”

After her death, the company began promoting a program to give out free smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to American hosts who asked for them. Still, more than 11,000 rentals are available for rent in Taiwan on Airbnb, with no requirement of demonstrating working carbon monoxide detectors or permitting. After my dad’s death, additional safety tips were added to the sign-up process for new hosts. But still, every new property starts off on Airbnb without certification — just self-reporting — to make sure it’s complying with safety guidelines or local laws.
Three days after my dad died, I received a thoughtful note from a trust and safety manager at Airbnb, wishing my family condolences and offering the company’s support. “If it would be all right with you, may I call later this week to check in and see if there’s anything you need?”

I was tempted to say yes, but after looking up her credentials, I noticed that her previous employer was a Northern California police department, where she worked as a detective. Was this a condolence call or was it the beginning of an investigation?

Probably a little bit of both: corporations often reach out to accident victims early, before they’ve had a chance to lawyer up. The goal is to get them to make a first offer on their demands, knowing that victims tend to lowball the price put on wrongful death or injury. Then, a settlement follows, after an NDA is signed, along with an admission that the company was not at fault.

“A man died, and you’ll never hear about it,” my mom has continued to say in the aftermath of her husband’s untimely demise. The papering over of real lives has, in fact, been my main motivation to write this piece. My family remains free to speak about Airbnb’s role in the accident since we never pursued legal action against them. Our lawyer — my dad’s best friend since college — extracted a settlement from the hosts’ homeowners’ insurance policy, which, lucky for us, did not deny coverage for commercial activity.

We seem to be the exception to the rule. Most home insurance policies make exclusions for any commercial activity taking place for residential policies. In January, Airbnb introduced a new product: secondary coverage for hosts who might find their claims denied if something goes haywire during a home-sharing stay. Peers followed suit, with a policy that extends across home-sharing platforms. Given Airbnb’s history of reactive, as opposed to proactive, solutions, I imagine hosts have already found themselves in that conundrum and with the exposure it entails.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Uber pulls out of Austin because Austin won't repeal regulations (warning: autoplay)

quote:

In a dispute that could play out in other cities, Uber and Lyft say new rules required on them in the Austin area, including fingerprinting of drivers, makes it hard for them to continue to follow their business models. The pullback becomes a de facto victory for the taxicab industry, which has seen ride-sharing services turn their business on its ear around the country.

Both Uber and Lyft suspended service Monday morning. A click on the Lyft app in Austin prompted this message: "Lyft is not available in this area yet." Uber offered users a window declaring "NO PICKUPS as of May 9th." It continued: "Due to regulations passed by the City Council, Uber is no longer available within Austin city limits" and urged its followers to contact the city council, with a link to the Austin city website.

"Disappointment does not begin to describe how we feel about shutting down operations in Austin," said Chris Nakutis, Uber's general manager in the city, in a statement Sunday. Uber says that, since starting operations in Austin in October 2014, it has signed up 10,000 drivers and that 500,000 riders have opened its app to request a pickup.

Rival Lyft, which, like Uber, is based in California, said in its own statement that "the rules passed by the city council don't allow true ridesharing to operate." As a result, it says it hopes a "pause" in operations will show it is taking a stand in defense of app-based ridesharing.

Uber and Lyft spent about $8 million on the campaign leading up to Saturday's vote, which was defeated by a 56% margin, to overturn rules adopted by the city that it considers onerous.

When Uber and Lyft began operations, they were allowed to self-regulate. But in December, the city council adopted a set of rules that included requiring fingerprinting of drivers, which draws strong objections from both companies as being unnecessary because of their own background checks. Uber says it also is threatening to pull out of Houston, which also requires fingerprinting. It notes that other cities, like Toronto and Miami, have passed ridesharing laws that don't require fingerprints.

Uber and Lyft both indicated they're open to returning to Austin if the rules are changed. Stanford said Adler has been clear that “he wants Uber and Lyft to stay and they’re welcome to the table to try and figure this out. We’re a better town with them in it. That’s clear to everybody.”
Uber and Lyft say they can't afford to fingerprint drivers because "it violates their business model". I don't see how this is a regulation favoring taxi drivers; rather, it's a regulation intended to increase passenger safety by removing dangerous drivers and convicted violent criminals from the driving pool. Uber claims its background checks -- which have failed multiple times, in widely-reported stories -- are better than checking a fingerprint against a criminal database. This is a clear-cut example of "we can't compete if you make us adhere to local safety regulations".

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

ducttape posted:

I wish I could find the story but there was something about a company in Houston, I think, that way underbid all the other contractors for a road construction project; the project moved forward for years with no progress and ultimately they had to admit they couldn't do it for the price quoted because they didn't take into account they would have to dig through rock and not dirt.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I live in an old six-unit apartment building, and two of the units are leased by a woman who runs them strictly as AirBNB rentals. It's incredibly annoying - people coming in loudly at weird hours, knocking suitcases up and down, loving up the parking situation, etc.. I imagine it brings in plenty of money for the woman who runs the operation, but it's awful for the rest of us.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

So are you sure you think airbnb is liable for this sort of stuff? Is craigslist liable if it facilitated the identical transaction?

I'm certainly not sure I think either airbnb or uber is liable for everything that happens after they help facilitate a transaction. It's not entirely different than, say, an internet forum or hosting service which may knowingly profit from illegal or distasteful activity but yet rightfully has some protection from the actions of its users.