Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

So maybe this is a big order, but anyone possibly got a spare of or just a Creighton (Mirrah Chain) set they'd be willing to part with? I didn't actually know it was in here until now and both possible times I could've nabbed it I've screwed up. On PC and stuff if anyone would be up for it.

I wouldn't mind giving you mine if you're PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat The Champ first go, but it wasn't exactly a noble victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvWWk-V-8s

uhhhhh @ that ending
oh hey he has a grab attack :prepop:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Toady posted:

Why do you think you have to be between its legs? Standing beneath it will cause it to use its flying breath attack. Just stand in front of its head.
In three attempts he never tried to breath on me, just stomp :shrug:. It was very safe to keep hitting him with the occasional chug when I couldn't see poo poo and got hit. Actually, if he DOES breath downwards sometimes, he's pretty much exactly like the dragon fights in DS2 (the early Scholar on or the lazy ones in the Aerie), and those were best fought "ankle-deep". Which should answer the "how could I possibly think this was the best tactic" question. Also, it worked "fine" (risk-free but chaotic) except for the camera loving me over completely the first attempt and actually getting summoned as a Bluecop in the second (which reset his health).

Cultisto posted:

I'm on NG++ right now and terribly overlevelled, am I screwed as far as collecting all pyromancies/miracles go? I'm assuming you have to collect all spells on the same character, my guy is somewhere around SL190 and I will never get summoned as a Darkmoon Blade. The wiki says Proof of Concords can be a rare drop from the silver knights in Anor Londo, but I spent a good 45 minutes farming them with item discovery equipment on and didn't get a single one, can't imaging getting the remaining 27ish I need.

On the flip side, while I can't really get summoned as a Blue anywhere, using Dried Fingers still works great. I probably farmed 600k souls yesterday doing nothing but group PvP in the Crux. Woods, a non-stop barrage of Watchdogs, Reds and Purples while getting backup from lower level Sentinels and Darkmoon Blades. Obscuring Ring in that area is hilarious as well. I actually tried putting down my soapstone to at least try to help someone else with PvP, but every time someone invaded he would lay down in the swamp and leave me to fend them off, so I left.
I farmed Concords the hard way off the Knights, you had bad luck, basically. I think I averaged an ear every 15 minutes, with some Aldritch fights in-between. Still took me the better part of two days (not 24h, but an evening of playing each). I watched LPs on the side. It miiiight have helped a little that I wanted to jump from Level 90 (where I finished the game) to 100 anyway and then respec for NG+, so for farming I just dumped those 10 points in Luck. But you know how it is with dropchances...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cultisto posted:

I'm on NG++ right now and terribly overlevelled, am I screwed as far as collecting all pyromancies/miracles go? I'm assuming you have to collect all spells on the same character, my guy is somewhere around SL190 and I will never get summoned as a Darkmoon Blade. The wiki says Proof of Concords can be a rare drop from the silver knights in Anor Londo, but I spent a good 45 minutes farming them with item discovery equipment on and didn't get a single one, can't imaging getting the remaining 27ish I need.

Some people get obscenely lucky gathering proof of concords, the rest of us kill 120 knights while wearing 323 itemfind (including coin) and get nothing and then we give up.

It sounds faster, maybe not, but it definitely IS more comfortable to start a new character focusing on gathering all miracles, take it to a good build of lv30 (with +3/10 weapon) and act a bluebro (sentinel/darkmoon) and do general PvP and fun, then step up to lv50, then up again a notch until you have the 30 proofs, with sunbroing inbetween to make the 30 required for that one. Sunbroing works at all level ranges of course.

Or maybe it changes in that poise-fixing patch. Haaa..

e: AN EAR EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES WERE YOU WITH 9999 ITEMFIND OR SOMETHING WTF

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Champ is such a good boss. You've fought plenty of big knight bosses with big weapons before, but you didn't expect this one to fuckin' punch you in the face for your cheeky rolls.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Some people get obscenely lucky gathering proof of concords, the rest of us kill 120 knights while wearing 323 itemfind (including coin) and get nothing and then we give up.

It sounds faster, maybe not, but it definitely IS more comfortable to start a new character focusing on gathering all miracles, take it to a good build of lv30 (with +3/10 weapon) and act a bluebro (sentinel/darkmoon) and do general PvP and fun, then step up to lv50, then up again a notch until you have the 30 proofs, with sunbroing inbetween to make the 30 required for that one. Sunbroing works at all level ranges of course.

Or maybe it changes in that poise-fixing patch. Haaa..

e: AN EAR EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES WERE YOU WITH 9999 ITEMFIND OR SOMETHING WTF
Might have been 30 minutes, I understandably zoned out after while and didn't really count. I had 19 Luck, Symbol of Avarice, offhand Sage's Crystal Rapier, Covetous Ring, normal Coins and that's it. I posted earlier what else I found if you want to do statistics or something, though I don't remember how many ears I started out with (let's say...9). If you don't want to look, I remember 85 Helmets as the highest number and 30 shields.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Crystal Sage Rapier, Gold Covetous Ring, Symbol of Avarice, & Rusted Coins... am I missing anything or is that the max for item-based +Discovery?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I have 4 characters going right now with some ideas for a few more, but I wish there was a super hard hidden shortcut down to Farron's or something. Like, some crazy-rear end jump from Lothric that would take you straight to the demon on the bridge and down to the Watchdog. Think about it, it would ridiculously hard to try to sprint through Farron's as a SL10 wimp. High risk, high reward, much like sprinting straight to Tomb of the Giants or 4 Kings was.

Howabout it, DLC???

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Defiant Sally posted:

Nameless King is absolutely the worst fight in this game. Holy gently caress the camera is insanely bad.

Ocelot camera is far far worse.

Dahbadu posted:

So I think I found my favorite new weapon today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMBOxLPzP8Y

With the right stats, the weapon hits surprisingly hard. You can mix it up and give it a really versatile moveset with Farron's Flashsword. You can pewpew whenever you want (Great Farron Darts are fun pokes, kinda like throwing knives). And it's a light source!

Goddamnit AFTER I upgraded the vanilla and court sorcerers staff I find this out? Time to farm more titanite chunks I guess...

Sakurazuka posted:

I beat The Champ first go, but it wasn't exactly a noble victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvWWk-V-8s

That's pretty much ohw I beat Aldrich the first time.

"Haha! gently caress you bitch!"

* a bunch of that purple rain poo poo rains on my head *

YOU DIED

(oh also lol no ember for you)

Fire Barrel posted:

The one in Lothric Castle is easy to kill since he can get caught on geography so easily. But I agree, they are probably the hardest enemies in the game. Super tough to parry too, since some of their attacks are so quick and have such large arcs.

Thinking about respeccing and playing around with the broadsword now. Looks like it might be fun to use, even if it lacks a thrust.

Also, even though I'm on NG+ and can get invaded by auto-summon covenants, I can never seem to get them to work myself (PS4). Kind of a bummer. Guess I'm stuck grinding drops.

The easiest frost knight is the first one you run into at the bottom of the onion bro tower. Sprint to the door, use iframes opening door and you're safe. He's a big moron who'll keep slowly walking towards you and occasionally attacking but he can rarely hit you when you're standing in the doorway. You can pretty much kill him easy from there.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Anal Surgery posted:

I have 4 characters going right now with some ideas for a few more, but I wish there was a super hard hidden shortcut down to Farron's or something. Like, some crazy-rear end jump from Lothric that would take you straight to the demon on the bridge and down to the Watchdog. Think about it, it would ridiculously hard to try to sprint through Farron's as a SL10 wimp. High risk, high reward, much like sprinting straight to Tomb of the Giants or 4 Kings was.

Howabout it, DLC???

Farron's was easy enough to sprint through on my SL1 char. no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it on SL 10.

The Abyss Watchers fight took a few tries, but even that wasn't that bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The Champ is such a good boss. You've fought plenty of big knight bosses with big weapons before, but you didn't expect this one to fuckin' punch you in the face for your cheeky rolls.

The Champ is one of my favorite bosses in the game. He's just a straight-up challenging fight with no bullshit.

I'd probably feel the same about NK if I didn't have to re-fight the dragon phase every time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

Goddamnit AFTER I upgraded the vanilla and court sorcerers staff I find this out? Time to farm more titanite chunks I guess...
You're in "luck", it needs Twinks.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Here's my list of favourite bosses and areas that no one asked for but I'm giving you anyway:

Bosses, mechanically
1) The Champ: fast, with lots of comboes. The kicks and shoulder slams make him relentless and change up how you fight and think about the openings you have, but not in a way that feels unfair.
2) Soul of Cinder: the changing weapons and skills is great. Personally I ranked them sorcerer->sword->miracle spear->dual scimitar pryo in terms of difficulty (easy to hard) but you know. Bringing back Gwyn's moveset with some updates for the second stage was also really cool- not too tough, but not being able to parry him now (I'm pretty sure?) changes things up, and that massive air juggle is a bitch the first time you see it, although it's easy to avoid after that.
3) Abyss Watchers: First stage is just incredibly fun, especially with a phantom or if you can get a darkwraith in? Lots of shenanigans. But the boss(es)' moveset is also incredibly cool- fast and agile and covers a lot of ground. It calls back to Artorias without being exactly the same.

Honorable mentions to: Deacons, King of the Storm/Nameless King, Dragonslayer Armour

Bosses, aesthetically
1) Dancer: Fromsoft absolutely nailed the atmosphere of this fight. Most bosses have big dramatic scores and loud roars, but Dancer's song is very understated and she only makes these occasional hisses, which contrasts with the scenery amazingly as the room gradually and silently starts to catch fire. Often the loudest sound is her plodding footsteps, which couples with her graceful but eerie movements and attacks and strange, distorted figure.
2) King of the Storm/Nameless: I mean... you're fighting this Stormdrake-riding, lightning-throwing wargod, on top of a thundercloud. That's the distilled essence of a heavy metal album cover. The first time he took off circling and charging up a sunlight spear was a definite 'holy poo poo this is amazing' moment for me (camera issues aside). The music is also great, conveying this sort of... aerial feel, which suits the fight and is different than the standard fare, although I gotta say that hearing the first few seconds induces a reflexive nausea-like response in me now, after failing so many times...
3) Soul of Cinder: The setting is gorgeous, and definitely feels very post-apocalyptic- This is the end, and you know it, although the field of flowers makes things not quite so barren or desolate, while also calling back to Gherman from Bloodborne, I think. It's a fitting final boss for the series, referencing various player-builds, but then bringing in an updated version of the first game's boss. The remixed version of Gwyn's theme with the strings is great too and I think I'd want to talk about that continuation more another time, but really it's just hearing the first few notes that makes it for me. You've seemingly just defeated the boss, you're celebrating- but then he gets back up, with full health, with a new moveset, you're despairing- and then there's the three notes, and everything falls in place.

Honorable Mention to the Watchers, although I wish their room was a bit more interesting. Like maybe some trophies up on the wall, or some furniture or something to break up the empty space on the floor? Or maybe layers, like tiers, to add some more verticality to their acrobatics. I dunno.

Area, mechanically
(PVE) I think I want to say Grand Archives. It wasn't too challenging, but it's an amazing example of economical bonfire and shortcut usage. The constant upwards climb gives a great sense of progression as well. The final gauntlet before the brothers is also a great test of skill, fitting for the last leg... assuming you don't just run past them all.
(PVP) Catacombs. It's just an amazing place to invade in. So many traps, and the skeleton ambush, and the bridge...

Area, aesthetically
Untended Graves, for sure. Like finding the Abandoned Workshop in Bloodborne, but on an even larger scale. As it slowly dawns on you what's going on, where you are... so many questions. It's eerie and foreboding, but also strangely peaceful? It's incredible to me, how evocative the area is when it's defined so much by what it lacks.

Archdragon Peak gets honorable mention for both mechanics and aesthetics. The bright blue sky, so new and different to the series, really sets it apart, but it's also home to a variety of challenging-but-not-quite-bullshit enemies.

Anyway thanks for reading all those words, or maybe you didn't, and that's cool too!

Also the level-up waifu order is Bonfire->Herald=Doll->Firekeeper, never played Demon Souls so I can't rank that one

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 10, 2016

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

On my main character, I'm using a faith/dex build. Highly recommend making the Astora Greatsword lightning, it has S scaling at +10. Hits incredibly hard, and the R2 will stagger just about everything that isn't a boss (and it will stagger some bosses).

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah, I liked that about the boss a lot. I don't know why more bosses didn't try to punish you for constantly circling behind them, given that it's what you do for nearly every boss in all 3 games in the series. The only other one I can think of is the DLC dragon from 2, who might be the first dragon in a video game that's smart enough to just pivot his head and breathe fire at you if you keep chopping at his hind legs.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Simply Simon posted:

You're in "luck", it needs Twinks.

Fortunately enough I've never had a need to use the ones I've gotten because this is going on my sorcerer build.

Though that spell buff looks like poo poo so I don't know how much I'll really use it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mazerunner posted:

Also the level-up waifu order is Bonfire->Herald=Doll->Firekeeper, never played Demon Souls so I can't rank that one

Maiden in Black (Demon's) is high tier for sure, she had her own neat little lore-y spiel but she also waited until you were in the allocation screen to start rolling it out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So the only "safe" time to start giving tounges to Rosaria is

* respecing
* after you've looted Sirris' corpse because you're finished her quest

correct?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Anal Surgery posted:

Howabout it, DLC???

You can run to farrons in like 5 minutes, but a jump would be nice I guess.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Maiden in Black (Demon's) is high tier for sure, she had her own neat little lore-y spiel but she also waited until you were in the allocation screen to start rolling it out.

Ah, so instead of "Bear Seek Seek Lest (Level Up)" it's "(Level Up) Blah blah blah"?

Yeah that's #2 worthy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Best level up waifu is the bonfire from Dark 1.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Uh you forgot a waifu. Irina.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylIXhcVAP08
God drat it is nice to see another pyromancer that predicts player movements in PvP instead of run, stand still, aim, fire, roll, die.
ID the songs featured in the video please.

holy poo poo. That's way beyond my thumbs' dexterity.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Best level up waifu is the bonfire from Dark 1.

That's why I ranked it #1!

Kild posted:

Uh you forgot a waifu. Irina.

How very quaint, pitying creatures that are beyond help.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Goons are really into blind women.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Ah, so instead of "Bear Seek Seek Lest (Level Up)" it's "(Level Up) Blah blah blah"?

Yeah that's #2 worthy.
I'm rewatching Squint's DeS LP and her voice drives me insane, the weird accent and how she repeats "so the world may be mended" twice...something about it. Still wanna play that loving game but not buying a PS3 just for it. Some day...

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

JetsGuy posted:

So the only "safe" time to start giving tounges to Rosaria is

* respecing
* after you've looted Sirris' corpse because you're finished her quest

correct?

I believe so. Make sure to back up your save file, just in case -- which is always a good thing to do before a respec.

From my understanding*, in an earlier build, respecing caused Sirris to turn aggressive, but they fixed that.

*I could be wrong.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Apparition posted:

You can run to farrons in like 5 minutes, but a jump would be nice I guess.

Not at the start you can't! I want to speedrun it and not have to beat Bort

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

frytechnician posted:

Some quick weapon reports of stuff I've tested out in PVP:

Pickaxe: Looks baller but is just too slow for PVP. You need a very patient playstyle and considering the range, you're probably better off with the Spiked Mace or Great Club. Really wanted to like it but just the easiest thing in the world to dodge.

You have to trade hits with it and leo ring. I think it gets greataxe hyperarmor (I don't know if anybody's tested this but it seems like greataxes have hyperarmor through most of their swing, and great clubs start up later). I do my PVPing in the SL80 bracket with a strength build and the problem with the pickaxe there is that it does less damage on a leo hit than a greataxe does normally, and they have almost exactly the same range and moveset (the greataxe I think 1-h R2 is a little different but not that much). It's a lot lighter than a greataxe but who cares about equip weight? I still use it the most out of anything because it's cool and trying to get leo hits is fun. Might be better at lower levels but if you go up to 100 or 120 I'd think the greataxe advantage would just grow. Also all the pickaxe moves are parryable AFAIK which is fine because you're always just trying to trade hits.

great club is fantastic. Excellent range, the charged R2 is like a DS1 large club R2 and people get greedy looking to punish it. Unlock and free aim, the sweep does damage all the way through, very easy to hit people with.

large club is kinda bad. Does less damage than the great club and the moveset is all straight ahead. Probably has a bit more range going forward but every time I use it I end up switching to the great club. My most disappointing +10.

winged knight halberd I don't enjoy. Damage is meh, but maybe it works better as quality than heavy. The weapon art does like 90 damage a hit. Otherwise just a standard slashing halberd.

blacksmith hammer is probably the best small hammer I've tried. Moveset is side-to-side, does decent damage. There's never a reason to use a small hammer or small axe over a straight sword that I can guess, they're always slower, less damaging, and worse range. I've never tried a straight sword though.

Smough's hammer is almost exactly like Smough's hammer in DS1 and it's mostly funny looking. It does a lot of damage and it's fine but all the interesting moves are too telegraphed to hit anything.

bandit axe I made +9 and I think I used it but I must not have liked it very much.

great axe is fantastic just for the damage and hyperarmor and I have no idea why everybody in the world isn't using one. It doesn't have a fancy 1300 hp combo like a black knight halberd, it just has a 2-hit R-1 combo for like 900.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gologle posted:

The Black Knight Halberd, Gundyr's Halberd, and Winged Knight Halberd are all the best and in the same league as each other. Of those, the BKH from a pure AR standpoint is the weakest, lagging behind 30 or so points behind Gundyr's with minimum requirements in Dex, while Gundyr's and WKH are basically the exact same AR as one another (WKH is better by like...six points refined, and slightly inferior if Heavy). Of those, the earliest one you can get is from the fat halberd knight before Vordt or the Dancer.

Halberds are cool and good.

Well the default h halberd from the handmaden is trash.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is it possible to do jolly co-operation in Untended Graves?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Dahbadu posted:

I believe so. Make sure to back up your save file, just in case -- which is always a good thing to do before a respec.

From my understanding*, in an earlier build, respecing caused Sirris to turn aggressive, but they fixed that.

*I could be wrong.

PS4 so no backup saves I don't think...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

double nine posted:

is it possible to do jolly co-operation in Untended Graves?

You can for sure summon for the boss so I don't see why not

e; although probably you can't summon for firelink shrine proper

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
loving dragonslayer

He's not bad when you get the hang of it

And then he calls in artillery

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Where is anri after doing both aldrith fights? I read he's at either cathedral of deep bonfire or smoldering lake where Horace was, but no luck with either.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S35bjK4U-jE

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Another million souls, another single ear from the silver knights. :shepicide:

This wouldn't bother me so much if any of my characters were summoned for Way of the Blue, ever. I have an SL 40, an SL 80 and an SL 120 character. Nada, zip, zilch. I might have to give up on going for the trophies - this is just outright boring. The only trophy where I'm forced to item grind which feels really silly in a Souls game.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

:laffo:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

great axe is fantastic just for the damage and hyperarmor and I have no idea why everybody in the world isn't using one. It doesn't have a fancy 1300 hp combo like a black knight halberd, it just has a 2-hit R-1 combo for like 900.

I see loads of people using Yhorm's machete which is basically the greataxe with a different heavy attack, more range and damage in return for slightly higher weight, stamina usage and can't be buffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

The only trophy where I'm forced to item grind which feels really silly in a Souls game.

Its yet another callback to ds1 :v:

That seems like a really low rate though. I averaged 1 about every 100k or so.