Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah It really cannot be overstated how completely horrible their marketing strategy has been and how utterly they misunderstand their own product and target audience.

I'm assuming this means the campaign is probably like 6 hours long, or 5 if you don't get lost backtracking for colored card keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm assuming this means the campaign is probably like 6 hours long, or 5 if you don't get lost backtracking for colored card keys.

To be fair isn't that about how long Doom is? Doom 2 too, if you don't get lost in Downtown.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Original Doom is about 3-4 hours to get through all 4 episodes, after you get decent at it, or if you learned quickly during your first time through.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Starhawk64 posted:

Apparently you get Wolfenstien: The Old Blood if you preorder Retard 4. I skipped TOB because I wanted a sequel to TNO, not a prequel. Free games are always nice though!

I got this game with my preorder, confirmed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

Apparently you get Wolfenstien: The Old Blood if you preorder Retard 4. I skipped TOB because I wanted a sequel to TNO, not a prequel. Free games are always nice though!

Old Blood's good times. The forced stealth section at the beginning is a bit crap, though.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Never bought any of the new Wolfensteins because of the region-lock, don't care about the no-swastika censorship; but the german version only has german audio for everyone which always is retarded in games with multiple languages being spoken. But for free I'll play it anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

Original Doom is about 3-4 hours to get through all 4 episodes, after you get decent at it, or if you learned quickly during your first time through.

It feels like way longer though because you have to actually struggle and use your brain, unlike modern FPS that just constantly shuffle you forward and then you're done before you noticed anything happened.

Its weird, that almost sounds like a bad thing, but I consider it to be a really good thing. I'd rather be really loving in the zone for 4 hours than have 8 hours of blandness.

I would hope that modern AAA Doom is at least 8 hours long though, especially since it'll probably have more of that modern babying the player mentality. (Good that there's secrets and at least some back-tracking)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Use your brain? In Doom? Shoot everything that moves, press every button, find exit. If lost, run away from the direction of the corpses.

Keiya posted:

I refuse to believe that anyone could get lost in Dead Simple. Get their rear end handed to them, sure, that's believable. But get lost?

As is his wont, AS is talking out his rear end with regards to what I have or haven't done with games.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 10, 2016

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Will DO4M Retard 4 be the new Duke Nukem Forever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13KgCsWSs6U

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
No. People will remember Duke.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

As is his wont, AS is talking out his rear end with regards to what I have or haven't done with games.
Yes, there surely isn't any evidence of being unable to follow simple directions in a videoga--
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439576&userid=166124

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

MisterBibs posted:

Use your brain? In Doom? Shoot everything that moves, press every button, find exit. If lost, run away from the direction of the corpses.

Zaphod's life has been one long con by his parents, hoping beyond hope that one day he'll realize that he's one of the dumbest motherfuckers alive.

"No honey, it takes everyone six hours to clear e1m1"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MisterBibs posted:

I know that "shoot high priority targets first, collect the health and ammo pickups, look for secrets and push buttons on way to exit" doesn't SOUND like much, but it is.

Compare that to how you play every modern FPS

"push forwards the only way you can and shoot enemies until your screen turns red, then hide behind cover until it turns normal agian, then rinse, repeat"

Its seriously as brain-dead as possible. There's no priority targets, there's no back-tracking or split paths whatsoever, there's no secrets, very very very little player agency really.

For the worst of that, see the COD level where you can go through the whole thing on hard difficulty without firing a single bullet. You just walk through the level from A to B and you're done.

Doom isn't rocket science but modern FPS games are designed so kindergartners don't get lost for even a minute.

Blister posted:

Zaphod's life has been one long con by his parents, hoping beyond hope that one day he'll realize that he's one of the dumbest motherfuckers alive.

"No honey, it takes everyone six hours to clear e1m1"

Blister what the gently caress is your problem? :fuckoff:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 10, 2016

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

Compare that to how you play every modern FPS

Doom isn't rocket science but modern FPS games are designed so kindergartners don't get lost for even a minute.

Do you mean Call of Duty or every modern FPS? The only games you sound like you're describing are COD or Battlefield singleplayer.

Two other AAA series, Halo 5 and Farcry 3/4/Primal series prove you wrong, not including the giant mess of AA/Indie FPS games that are out there, and even more flooding steam everyday.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blister posted:

Do you mean Call of Duty or every modern FPS? The only games you sound like you're describing are COD or Battlefield singleplayer.

Two other AAA series, Halo 5 and Farcry 3/4/Primal series prove you wrong, not including the giant mess of AA/Indie FPS games that are out there, and even more flooding steam everyday.

Farcry is an open world shooter, but even then they lock you into tiny little areas for each mission and if you wander outside of that area you get re-spawned at the last save point which is ridiculous. Wouldn't want anybody wandering around getting lost in an open world shooter!

Halo 5 don't make me laugh, the levels were exactly like Call of Duty levels. As linear as can be.

"giant mess of AAA/Indie FPS" like what? Name one.

I mean obviously indie games harking back to Doom like bunker punks or Wrack are going to feel more like Doom, yeah, but we were kinda talking about AAA FPS.
And none of those doom-like indie games has really been stellar so far anyways.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Both Metro games and both Wolfenstein games had good campaigns with options of approach.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Call of Duty campaigns are epic

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

Both Metro games and both Wolfenstein games had good campaigns with options of approach.

Wolfenstein is mostly good but its a pretty rare sort of game these days, explicitly based on an old school IP the way Doom is.

Metro is a fun shooter but its not really that open, but its focus and tension are entirely different, its more of a horror game like Doom 3 really than a action FPS. Its great for what it is.

If you want a good counter-example, STALKER is like the opposite of what I'm talking about. Huge open world with zero direction and the game just says "go" and lets the player figure out what they will. Its more of an FPSRPG and has a lot of quests and item management that strict FPS don't, its closer to Deus Ex (but less linear than the latest Deus Ex) but its probably the best thing we have other than Wolf.

And STALKER wasn't an American developer or publisher who would probably consider it too risky, and STALKER was also buggy as poo poo for the longest time, and we don't know if we'll ever get another proper one. Lots of MMOs trying to copy STALKER but not really going anywhere from the looks of it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The best part of The Old Blood was how little they made it for because they already had 3/4 of the assets made on 5% of the game it came from.

It's also not as good as the main Wolfenstein campaign but it's still a pretty drat good shooter and a fun playthrough.

Zaphod42 posted:

And STALKER wasn't an American developer or publisher who would probably consider it too risky, and STALKER was also buggy as poo poo for the longest time, and we don't know if we'll ever get another proper one. Lots of MMOs trying to copy STALKER but not really going anywhere from the looks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkH2vBIAm4s

RIP Huxley, I have no idea if you were actually ever released or not.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

Farcry is an open world shooter, but even then they lock you into tiny little areas for each mission and if you wander outside of that area you get re-spawned at the last save point which is ridiculous. Wouldn't want anybody wandering around getting lost in an open world shooter!

Halo 5 don't make me laugh, the levels were exactly like Call of Duty levels. As linear as can be.

"giant mess of AAA/Indie FPS" like what? Name one.

I mean obviously indie games harking back to Doom like bunker punks or Wrack are going to feel more like Doom, yeah, but we were kinda talking about AAA FPS.
And none of those doom-like indie games has really been stellar so far anyways.

Uh Halo leads you into different open areas of combat, it's been the signature of the series since 1. Leading you from one combat arena with different priority enemies and approach it how you like to another. Have you played Farcry since the first one? They're gigantic open loving worlds where you take out outposts/fortresses from any direction with any of the weapons you want with again different priority targets.

I mean gently caress you can complete most of 4 riding into outposts on a giant gently caress off elephant if you want while leading a few pissed off lions into the outposts to help.

AA/Indies? Ok, Lichdom:Battlemage, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, Superhot, Rainbow Six:Siege, Dying Light and it's expansion, Arma 3, Vermintide, Killing Floor 2, Sniper Elite 2/3/zombies, Ziggurat, Payday 2, Heavy Bullets, gently caress I'm not listing anymore just look at steam.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My classic FPS collection:

All in the original boxes with manuals and all the fun goodies that games don't have anymore.

Not included are more modern games like a new in box Deus Ex and Daikatana.

Blister posted:

Uh Halo leads you into different open areas of combat, it's been the signature of the series since 1. Leading you from one combat arena with different priority enemies and approach it how you like to another. Have you played Farcry since the first one? They're gigantic open loving worlds where you take out outposts/fortresses from any direction with any of the weapons you want with again different priority targets.

I mean gently caress you can complete most of 4 riding into outposts on a giant gently caress off elephant if you want while leading a few pissed off lions into the outposts to help.

AA/Indies? Ok, Lichdom:Battlemage, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, Superhot, Rainbow Six:Siege, Dying Light and it's expansion, Arma 3, Vermintide, Killing Floor 2, Sniper Elite 2/3/zombies, Ziggurat, Payday 2, Heavy Bullets, gently caress I'm not listing anymore just look at steam.

Halo is still extremely linear in its levels and mission structure, there's no player agency at all. Being able to play out battles and not have it scripted the same way every time is fun, but that's not the same as having back-tracking. I guess its sorta like the "prioritize high value targets" thing I mentioned, there's some of that in Halo. But the level design is strictly linear.

Have you played farcry since the first one? You can wander around doing what you want, but as soon as you try to actually participate in one of the missions, you're locked into a tiny little playable space and if you wander outside of it you get respawned, exactly like I just said. You don't know what you're on about. Overall it is an open world shooter which is nice but its way too restricted.

Lichdom runs like rear end and is very linear. RoTT was an actual old school FPS like Wolf, so that counts, except it was poo poo and not fun so nobody plays it or talks about it anymore. Failed attempt. Rainbow six siege is a multiplayer game, what the gently caress are you talking about? Dying light is a zombie FPSRPG. ARMA isn't a traditional FPS at all and doesn't even have 'levels' in the traditional sense. Sniper Elite 2/3 is EXTREMELY linear, again, what the hell are you on about? Did you play Sniper Elite?

Payday 2 is multiplayer and has a series of small levels which once you learn them you play them mostly the same way over and over. Its closer to Hitman than Doom. Its very fun but not at all what we're talking about.

Heavy bullets is indie. And fun but kinda short and boring. I already mentioned Bunker Punks and Wrack, and there's also STRAFE, so indie games like doom do exist but most are pretty lame and unpolished or even unfun.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yodzilla posted:

It's also not as good as the main Wolfenstein campaign but it's still a pretty drat good shooter and a fun playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkH2vBIAm4s

RIP Huxley, I have no idea if you were actually ever released or not.

Huxley's budget was killed over and over during development and went from a decent MMOFPS idea to an UT clone pretty quickly and then after a couple of closed betas and an open beta (might have been Korea only) they just shut down the services for the game one day and it was never heard from again.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
It sounds like the world of FPS games has changed and evolved to include things like multiplayer, rpg systems, open worlds(with and without missions bigger than doom maps), coop, progression systems, etc.. Since anything including those things don't count as a first person shooter, you're going to be stuck in 1990.

RoTT gave you everything you wanted Zaphod and it sucked poo poo because games have gotten better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blister posted:

It sounds like the world of FPS games has changed and evolved to include things like multiplayer, rpg systems, open worlds(with and without missions bigger than doom maps), coop, progression systems, etc.. Since anything including those things don't count as a first person shooter, you're going to be stuck in 1990.

If you don't see how comparing a multiplayer shooter to a single player shooter is different, I don't even know what to tell you. Even in the 2000s people recognized that Quake 3 not having a single player campaign made it very different from Quake 1 or 2.

Doom had co-op, that's not the issue. Payday isn't remotely like Doom or Unreal or Quake or even Call of Duty or Halo for that loving matter.

Blister posted:

RoTT gave you everything you wanted Zaphod and it sucked poo poo because games have gotten better.

What about the loving game this thread is supposed to be about? :downs: If you don't care why are you even posting here?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah It really cannot be overstated how completely horrible their marketing strategy has been and how utterly they misunderstand their own product and target audience.

But don't you want to #FightLikeHell?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can we just agree that this game played with a gamepad is bad but it looked hella sick with a mouse and keyboard w/ cancelling death animations?

Also is there strafe jumping/bunnyhopping? I swear I saw a bit.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I was gonna post something about my concern that id had to outsource the multiplayer and SnapMap (WTF) to different developers and it still took them five years to do the single player, but then I remembered that this is the studio that took seven years to develop Rage.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can we just agree that this game played with a gamepad is bad but it looked hella sick with a mouse and keyboard w/ cancelling death animations?

im gonna have a ton of fun playing it on my big rear end tv on my ps4 and you cannot stop me

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

There was in RAGE, I'm willing to bet that if they were going to remove it from idtech they would've done so for RAGE.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im gonna have a ton of fun playing it on my big rear end tv on my ps4 and you cannot stop me

Gonna buy a XIM and hunt you down.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Stuntman posted:

There was in RAGE, I'm willing to bet that if they were going to remove it from idtech they would've done so for RAGE.

Awesome. I was a TFC and Quake movement champion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I was gonna post something about my concern that id had to outsource the multiplayer and SnapMap (WTF) to different developers and it still took them five years to do the single player, but then I remembered that this is the studio that took seven years to develop Rage.

To be fair they rebooted the thing entirely (for looking "too call of duty" lol) so they've probably only spent like 2 or 3 years tops on it.

I was saying myself its lame that publishers split up games so much these days to rush them to market, I'd much prefer if Id Games did the multi as well, but I guess that's just how it is now. :smith:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I was saying myself its lame that publishers split up games so much these days to rush them to market, I'd much prefer if Id Games did the multi as well, but I guess that's just how it is now. :smith:
Yeah game development is in fact pretty hard, and if you want to make a kick rear end single player game, it makes total sense to outsource other parts so you can focus on one thing and do it well.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Here's a radical idea.

If you want to make a kickass single player game, why not just... not have multiplayer? Take all the money thrown into the multiplayer crap and stick it into making Snapmap better.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Old Blood's good times. The forced stealth section at the beginning is a bit crap, though.

You don't have to stealth it at all

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Keiya posted:

Here's a radical idea.

If you want to make a kickass single player game, why not just... not have multiplayer? Take all the money thrown into the multiplayer crap and stick it into making Snapmap better.

Because shareholders exist

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Plan Z posted:

What forced stealth section, there are no forced stealth sections you can just stealth around if you feel like it. If you wanna go in guns blazing there's nothing stopping you.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Keiya posted:

Here's a radical idea.

Didn't they do that for The New Order? Like, there's no tacked on MP in a time where tacked-on MP modes were the norm, and that game was good.

Wonder why they decided "HEY LET'S TACK ON MP PEOPLE REMEMBER DOOM MP RIGHT" when I don't even think Multiplayer Doom existed before Quake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Keiya posted:

Here's a radical idea.

I agree, but multiplayer is exactly the kind of bullet point to put on the box that publishers love to mandate.

For all we know Id Games are complaining every day to BethSoft about having to work with Certain Affinity and having multi not under their control. They could have been pushing for doing it themselves or not even doing it at all for all we know, but they lost the battle.

You can chart a pretty much direct line between games becoming more and more risk-averse and more sequel-driven and game studios dying off being bought out by huge conglomerate publishers.

Blizzard and Id were two of my favorite studios growing up and that's all they were, studios. Groups of people who makes games. And then they'd sign some agreement to get their game published but that was that.

Nowadays its the opposite. Blizzard is joined at the hip with Activision and Id was sold to Bethesda. Wah-wah. :smith:

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Because shareholders exist

And because game companies are all owned by publicly traded entities now. It didn't used to be that way. (Valve is like the only exception left on the planet, and they don't really make games anymore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

widespread posted:

Didn't they do that for The New Order? Like, there's no tacked on MP in a time where tacked-on MP modes were the norm, and that game was good.

Wonder why they decided "HEY LET'S TACK ON MP PEOPLE REMEMBER DOOM MP RIGHT" when I don't even think Multiplayer Doom existed before Quake.

:ughh: