Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of squad loadouts, I was trying out Nera for a lark and it turns out being able to shoot torpedoes anywhere, especially when I somehow roll at least 2 hits and a focus every time, is a magical feeling. So thinking of maybe trying to do it better, I'm wondering who is the better wingman? (Poe stays)

quote:

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Jake Farrell (24)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 98

I was originally using Dutch with TLT and an R2, but I don't know if I like using two 1 agility ships in the current environment. But with 30 points Rebel sides there's not much I can do, and I don't own a Ghost so no Phantoms. If only Jake could take Prockets. But I'm not sure what else to do. Or just stick with Dutch?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

2-0 against a 2 U-boat/N'Dru list a guy was testing for regionals. First list was Raging Tycho, miranda tlt 3p0 and stressbot. Wrecked N'dru with prockets from Tycho, lost my y-wing early and just slow and steadied with Miranda managing range and Tycho giving chase.

Second was Palp TC Soontir and Basement Jaxx. Much closer and came down to 1 hull on Soontir. I remain sold on TC vs Stealth Device on him to give him teeth, especially with another ace to draw aggro.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 10, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Strobe and Finster now playing in TTS theater 1, game titled "Strobe vs Finster" no password.

Come watch XXX get destroyed by Ghost Rider.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Eimi posted:

Speaking of squad loadouts, I was trying out Nera for a lark and it turns out being able to shoot torpedoes anywhere, especially when I somehow roll at least 2 hits and a focus every time, is a magical feeling. So thinking of maybe trying to do it better, I'm wondering who is the better wingman? (Poe stays)

I was originally using Dutch with TLT and an R2, but I don't know if I like using two 1 agility ships in the current environment. But with 30 points Rebel sides there's not much I can do, and I don't own a Ghost so no Phantoms. If only Jake could take Prockets. But I'm not sure what else to do. Or just stick with Dutch?

I was actually toying around with a Nera Dantels build myself recently since I haven't flown her since Extra Munitions and Guidance Chips came out. People always say stacking points on a B-Wing is bad, so I figure doing it 3 times in a list must somehow wrap around to being good right?

We Three Bs

Ten Numb/B-Wing (31)
Tractor beam (1)
Calculation (1)

Keyan Farlander/B-Wing (29)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Stay on Target (2)

Nera Dantels/B-Wing (26)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Deadeye (1)
Guidance Chips (0)

I figure Ten shooting first has a good chance of a guaranteed tractor beam with calculation and his ability, and of course you can always just shoot them with your regular guns if they're at range 1 or 2 or something or the other two don't have a shot. Then Keyan and Nera built as cheaply as it makes sense to build them. It's probably dumber and more inefficient than BBBBZ but I really like finding ways to use pilots who never get to make the board. At least in ultra casual games.

I also toyed around with the idea of Nera & Dutch actually, plus bombs on Dutch and then Jan Ors with a TLT, Sabine and a Seismic charge. I'm positive that list sucks tho so I don't recommend it haha

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I have my stupid B-B-Biggs list that I've been itching to try.

Ten Numb (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder\\

You can swap to R2-D6 and Adaptability if you want to gently caress with a Crackshot TIE swarm. Really wish that the named B-Wing pilots were a little more points efficient though.

E: Or downgrade to Plasma Torpedos if you wanted to stick a B-Wing/E2 and a 1 point Crew on Ten or Nera.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 10, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Proton torpedoes are so good on 3 attack ships with chips. Holy god.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
XXX triumphs over Ultra Dash and Ghost 100-33.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'm retiring the Ghost for a while. We'll give Dash someone else to play with for next week.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why FCS on Nera when she has Deadeye?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Some Numbers posted:

Why FCS on Nera when she has Deadeye?

Because focus doesn't give you rerolls, and they're stronger with torps and chips than focus is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Strobe posted:

Because focus doesn't give you rerolls, and they're stronger with torps and chips than focus is.

Basically. I could drop FCS and downgrade to Plasma Torps to stick a Proton and Chimps on Numb but I feel like I'd want Numb to be either always be shooting the Mangler or to have Extra Munitions and I can't fit another into the list.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ten wants Flechette Torps with Chips. Unblockable crit that also stresses. :science:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Strobe posted:

Ten wants Flechette Torps with Chips. Unblockable crit that also stresses. :science:

Ten Numb (31)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Extra Munitions (2)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So, I noticed some of the unreleased stuff is on the builder app I use.

So I ran a list with Rae (with Chewie and 3-CPO in the new falcon title, engine upgrade) and New Poe (with R2 and shield upgrade). They are awesome! There's no a lot of points for stuff, so I ended up not having any EPTs.

The new falcon's 3 turn flip is great. I think I like Rae's pilot ability even more than Hans, and the black one title is really cool too. I can't wait to find out what fin does. (E: oops, cut off my sentence)

My opponent ran a Hawk AAE list. He's pretty new, and on the second turn ran the A off the board, but I let him just stop as if hitting a wall, because it was the second turn. He much later ended up losing another ship that way anyway (I think the HWK). I barely held on with Rae in the end, keeping both my ships in tact.

I ended up not using VI in the inky squad on the second game, because of the meta (it was the same player in the first game, and I thought he was going to do another low PS swarm). I lost pretty horribly, mostly because I mis-calculated. For example onec with Jax, turning to the side for some reason instead of going straight. He didn't use his ability much. I also just generally didn't steer well with the others, not getting as many chances to hit as I should. I think I was also forgetting to use a bunch of abilities. We ran out of time, and I had one ship left, and without points. :(

What's worse is he had only 87 in his list, because he didn't have enough ships. I offered to remove stuff down, but he wanted to just go ahead.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 10, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Strobe posted:

XXX triumphs over Ultra Dash and Ghost 100-33.

Whaaaat? Details

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ten Numb (31)
Adaptability (0)
Fire-Control System (2)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Extra Munitions (2)

Nera Dantels (26)
Deadeye (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Guidance Chips (0)

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R4-D6 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'd actually swap the FCS from Ten to Nera. Nera's lobbing 4-red torpedoes and doesn't get the benefit of that free-ride crit which means I'd say that the target lock is of greater use for her in terms of helping set up big hammer attacks while Ten gets the comfort of knowing that no matter what at least one crit of his is going to go through.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I'd actually swap the FCS from Ten to Nera. Nera's lobbing 4-red torpedoes and doesn't get the benefit of that free-ride crit which means I'd say that the target lock is of greater use for her in terms of helping set up big hammer attacks while Ten gets the comfort of knowing that no matter what at least one crit of his is going to go through.

You know what, that's a real good point.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It also frees up a point for you by letting you drop Deadeye in favor of something else either on Nera or Ten Numb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Proton torpedoes are so good on 3 attack ships with chips. Holy god.

The highlight of the night was rolling two natural crits and 2 eyeballs for me. 4 crits :eyepop:

Also I'd say Deadeye is pretty key on Nera. You're still relatively low ps, and at least against aces you can be donut holed, so the freedom to pick anyone is handy. If you're a better pilot than me this may not apply.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 10, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Eimi posted:

The highlight of the night was rolling two natural crits and 2 eyeballs for me. 4 crits :eyepop:

Also I'd say Deadeye is pretty key on Nera. You're still relatively low ps, and at least against aces you can be donut holed, so the freedom to pick anyone is handy. If you're a better pilot than me this may not apply.

I'm Bad so Deadeye is probably the best choice

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eimi posted:

Deadeye isn't bad on Nera, but her ability helps mitigate one of the big drawbacks to locking a target for ordnance as a low PS ship which is that once you do so you have no way to keep them in your firing arc. You're not wrong that an ace could still react by trying to dive in close to her and fouling your shot, so it's not a perfect scenario, but if you wanted to move that point around it's an option. Maximum Nera is Deadeye plus FCS allowing you to spend the focus to launch, then TL to reroll (which is what I was suggesting to Improbable Lobster), but if you want to shave a point then chipped Protorps already come with plenty of built-in modification that makes taking a TL reroll not quite as necessary.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Double-posting to say it's kind of weird how after getting into this game when the watchword was "ordnance stinks, don't spend points on it" all at once seeing torpedoes and missiles everywhere.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's still only decent with Deadeye and even then only on certain ships. Miranda is OK at missiles too with her ability but only if she has Dutch passing her locks.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I'd be coming from Uni, not actually from home in the NOVA region. I put a request/query in the local area FB group and 1-2 people said maybe so we'll see if I'm lucky. Problem is they have to decide by next Tuesday. :|

Also apparently my friend is getting me an ultra kawaii (his words, it's a surprise) stuffed animal anime character but it probably won't get to me by the tournament. But maybe I'll have something fun to display - my friend displayed his purple/black pony dude during YHP regionals lol. Of course, that's assuming I'm good enough to make it to the top tables again. It's been 2-for-2 top 8 regionals this year, so my luck is bound to run out!

Oh, makes sense. Well, as far as I know, the plan is to take "random" (read: not random) tables for swiss and put them up on youtube afterwards, then livestream the top 16. Everybody in the thread that might be coming to Raleigh, let me know if you're interested in being on the featured table at some point during Raleigh and I'll see what I can do. Obviously we don't want to record the bottom of the salt mines at 0-4 or whatever, but anything reasonable should be fine and I'd rather have people comfortable being recorded anyways.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

So I'm curious, now that the cloaking device illicit has been out for a bit, has anyone taken it for a semi-serious spin? I've been debating experimenting with it on Cobra or N'dru, as it seems to play nicely with their abilities and both are still decent for their points when it inevitably fails. I'm not super familiar with Scum lists outside of TLT Thugs and the odd Wolf Pack in my local meta though, so I'm at a bit of a loss of what to build to cooperate with a cloaked flanker besides just running some Ys or 95s.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dulkor posted:

So I'm curious, now that the cloaking device illicit has been out for a bit, has anyone taken it for a semi-serious spin? I've been debating experimenting with it on Cobra or N'dru, as it seems to play nicely with their abilities and both are still decent for their points when it inevitably fails. I'm not super familiar with Scum lists outside of TLT Thugs and the odd Wolf Pack in my local meta though, so I'm at a bit of a loss of what to build to cooperate with a cloaked flanker besides just running some Ys or 95s.

I'm actually trying to wring the most out of Zuckuss/Cloaking Device/Stygium Particle Accelerator/Juke. I think I've settled on a build I like for it, and I just need to practice with it more. I wouldn't put it on N'Dru personally, he's got better options that play to his strengths.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Certainly a thought, though the keen awareness of the failure risk makes me hesitant to rely on it for the particle accelerator/juke combo myself.

My main thinking with Cobra and N'Dru is it becomes a way to give them a turn or two of extra maneuvering to take advantage of their skills even if it fails by mid game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dulkor posted:

Certainly a thought, though the keen awareness of the failure risk makes me hesitant to rely on it for the particle accelerator/juke combo myself.

My main thinking with Cobra and N'Dru is it becomes a way to give them a turn or two of extra maneuvering to take advantage of their skills even if it fails by mid game.

Well Juke works for Zuckuss even without the Cloak/Accelerator combo because he actually has a native Evade action on his bar to keep utilizing Juke even after the Cloaking Device blows up. There aren't many Scum ships that combine an Evade and an Illicit upgrade. Firesprays and Brobots I think. Even without the Cloaking Device I'd be tempted to put Juke on him because it synnergizes nicely with his unique ability...sure he grants you an extra green die, but he also forces you to rely on having a focus in order to make use of it even if it comes up with an evade result, and you can put Dengar on him to give him all the effects of Predator using his crew slot instead of his EPT.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

zVxTeflon posted:

Whaaaat? Details

Not much to say other than the Ghost hit every rock possible while trying to deal with Blinded Pilot crit, so had like 3 or 4 turns in a row of being unable to fire. The difficulty of eyeballing distances in TTS cannot be overstated. Once the Ghost was toast, It was 3 on 1, and it's hard for Dash to optimize every engagement. I needed a couple key rolls to go my way, but they didn't, but honestly, I made poor decisions with the Ghost and that's what got me into trouble in the first place. Also, I'm bad at x-wing, so

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

zVxTeflon posted:

Whaaaat? Details

Ghost got a rock, got a Blinded Pilot from Wedge, hit another rock, died to Console Fire. It ended up taking exactly one unmodified range one shot at Luke that did two damage (including the only hull damage Luke suffered). Luke regained at least six shields, and Wes managed to double stress Dash at least three times. Wedge still died, but lasted long enough that Luke and Wes could seal the deal by themselves. Wes ended with two hull damage but still had his stressbot, Luke had one card and one shield when he killed Dash.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Strobe posted:

Ghost got a rock, got a Blinded Pilot from Wedge, hit another rock, died to Console Fire. It ended up taking exactly one unmodified range one shot at Luke that did two damage (including the only hull damage Luke suffered). Luke regained at least six shields, and Wes managed to double stress Dash at least three times. Wedge still died, but lasted long enough that Luke and Wes could seal the deal by themselves. Wes ended with two hull damage but still had his stressbot, Luke had one card and one shield when he killed Dash.

Yeah, that was the other issue, there were a couple instances where I targeted Luke instead of Wedge and had I just focused down Wedge, I might've been in a better spot. But the main reason I wanted to do this league was to learn and git gud, so I learned a lot in this case.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Deadeye isn't bad on Nera, but her ability helps mitigate one of the big drawbacks to locking a target for ordnance as a low PS ship which is that once you do so you have no way to keep them in your firing arc. You're not wrong that an ace could still react by trying to dive in close to her and fouling your shot, so it's not a perfect scenario, but if you wanted to move that point around it's an option. Maximum Nera is Deadeye plus FCS allowing you to spend the focus to launch, then TL to reroll (which is what I was suggesting to Improbable Lobster), but if you want to shave a point then chipped Protorps already come with plenty of built-in modification that makes taking a TL reroll not quite as necessary.

Well it's going from a decently costed gimic to MAXIMUM gimic, but Nera with Recon Specialist, Deadeye, Adv Proton Torps, and Extra Munitions for ridiculous explosions.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So for anyone else who's is also a massive Poe fan, the lady who made him is giving away some pillow sheets: http://brilcrist.tumblr.com/.

She's also working on General Hux so we can get that scene that we were blue-balled out of for two whole movies now. ;)
/

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 10, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hey guys if you want to fly Rey or PS9 Poe or use the Black One title, go for it. As long as the card is 100% revealed, it's legal.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

So for anyone else who's is also a massive Poe fan, the lady who made him is giving away some pillow sheets: http://brilcrist.tumblr.com/.

She's also working on General Hux so we can get that scene that we were blue-balled out of for two whole movies now. ;)
/

please stop this

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Dulkor posted:

I'm really not convinced by it. Its best uses are probably on Guri or Talonbane, but neither has ever convinced me.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Paging De Rol Le for the league, tried to add you on steam since I'm a cheap Jew and haven't upgraded my SA account. Give me a holla when you want to play.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

Not much to say other than the Ghost hit every rock possible while trying to deal with Blinded Pilot crit, so had like 3 or 4 turns in a row of being unable to fire. The difficulty of eyeballing distances in TTS cannot be overstated. Once the Ghost was toast, It was 3 on 1, and it's hard for Dash to optimize every engagement. I needed a couple key rolls to go my way, but they didn't, but honestly, I made poor decisions with the Ghost and that's what got me into trouble in the first place. Also, I'm bad at x-wing, so

Until the ghost hit the rock with the 5k your maneuvers were fine. Not focusing Wedge down was a mistake, though. You could've killed him in the second round of the engagement with Dash and the rebel focus firing him when he had no shields left. Each X-wing you remove in his list is critical.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I was doing some thinking about my lady squad list. While Whisper is powerful, in her current form she's most of my list and has to do a lot of the work, and I'm not that great of a pilot, let alone for the phantom with its decloak. Of the three ships it's also the one that makes the most nervous to fly given its fragility. Now trying to stay on theme, but also rules lawyering, Omega Leader and The Inquisitor are clearly titles. Omega Leader doesn't even have a Wookipedia page like Deathrain so they can be anyone. :colbert: OL would give me 10 points to play around with decking out Juno and Ryad, Inqy 8.

With that in mind, Ryad obviously screams for PTL, to pile on even more tokens and actions, especially to TL and Focus. I've been finding she gets ignored til last, so giving her some more punch is great, and green K turns are great to remove stress with. Of course with her low PS, Predator is another option for a TL lite as TL kind of requires making the call early. If the points are there after giving Juno some toys, Stealth Device is there for maximum pain in the rear end potential.

For Juno my thinking is go for PTL and TIE Mk 2 to add the 3 bank as green for 4 points total. She isn't the best PTL user due to no hards as green, but she certainly has a ton of green options on her dial that way. Another thing I was thinking of was going with Juke, to get some more mileage out of the evade token, letting it double as an offensive booster if it's still around when you get to shoot. And then Prockets is an offensive upgrade, that doesn't really work with Juke, but since Juke is cheaper there's more points to fit it in. Or adding Prockets to the PTL/TIE version.

I know it's not the best list but any thoughts on either the wingmen or how to deck out Ryad or Juno?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Yeah, that was the other issue, there were a couple instances where I targeted Luke instead of Wedge and had I just focused down Wedge, I might've been in a better spot. But the main reason I wanted to do this league was to learn and git gud, so I learned a lot in this case.

Youre bringing 3 big debris instead of rocks right. If the other guy is bringing rocks on your placement turn toss his biggest rock in the far corner you think your ghost is least likely to be for a majority of the game. You dont really need to ever worry about hitting debris if you take hera crew.

• Locked thread