Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Squish posted:

So, a few posts back it was mentioned about the churchy being on sale for 5.79 or so. If I buy that on special, and get gold because I already have a churchill - is that good gold/$ value?

A good thing to do is check out what the best deal on only gold packs are at present and compare with quick napkin math whenever a question of this sort comes to the fore in one's mind.

subhelios posted:

Not a problem, hope you enjoy it!

Way a head of you. It's a different play style than I'm used to, but it's been a blast to learn. Probably it is the already trained crew that helped a lot with that. Which would explain why the regular Crommy never fully grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Arishtat posted:

~5700 damage, ~1350 spotting damage, 1588 base experience, Steel Wall, High Caliber, Confederate, yadda yadda yadda

I'll start this out by saying I kind of hosed up by not knowing that the map had changed so my little jaunt to the middle of the map was rudely interrupted by some reds trying to put holes in my tank so I did the only thing that seemed reasonable, I moved up to the central ridge and started scouting with my face and laying shells into any target that presented itself while trying to stay hull down to anything that could penetrate my tank's hull. It worked out pretty well.

http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/arishtat-na-f8cdc9834e653fa7b13d146e1b0ebd2c/sand_river-usa-t32-6553636225228475

That's what I miss so much about my T32. You never get T8 games anymore, but when you do it's such an amazing tank. Even its hull is bouncier than you would think if you can get it well-angled without exposing your side. It is my favorite tank, and it's why I want to run some T8 strongholds.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's what I miss so much about my T32. You never get T8 games anymore, but when you do it's such an amazing tank. Even its hull is bouncier than you would think if you can get it well-angled without exposing your side. It is my favorite tank, and it's why I want to run some T8 strongholds.

This is why the clownshoe is so awesome. Even though it was somewhat functional in t10 games, the devs gave up and gave it t9 max matchmaking. Which also results in a lot of t8 games with it as well. And that armor is amazing at t8.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am a bit surprised about you lot saying you get nothing but T10 games in your T8.

Is that different on NA? I was grinding through my 50 100 on EU and T10 games were pretty rare.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

I am a bit surprised about you lot saying you get nothing but T10 games in your T8.

Is that different on NA? I was grinding through my 50 100 on EU and T10 games were pretty rare.

Yes. Remember, the NA cluster has a good half or less the population of the EU cluster.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

JuffoWup posted:

Yes. Remember, the NA cluster has a good half or less the population of the EU cluster.

Does matchmaking ever mix people who are on US West and East? I assume not, since it makes a bit deal about 'HEY YOU GONNA SWITCH SERVERSSSS" when you get an invite from someone on East when you're on West.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Eh, the idea that you only get tier9-10 games if you play tier 8 just isn't true.
I have been grinding credits in my regular mm tier 8s and I haven't seen that many tier 10 games. And I play during time zones with low server population.
I think it is basically that getting tier 10 in an 8 feels pretty hopeless from the start. But you also get those games where you get second highest Xp in a revaloroise and versus a blue toon and it feels great.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're on west and want to play low tiers hit me up. gently caress east and Telia forever!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Eh, the idea that you only get tier9-10 games if you play tier 8 just isn't true.
I have been grinding credits in my regular mm tier 8s and I haven't seen that many tier 10 games. And I play during time zones with low server population.
I think it is basically that getting tier 10 in an 8 feels pretty hopeless from the start. But you also get those games where you get second highest Xp in a revaloroise and versus a blue toon and it feels great.

I guess I'm exaggerating it, but if there's well armored heavies you can't really do anything against them without shooting gold. And your semi-bouncy hull at T8 may as well be sheet metal facing T9 guns. To be fair, I could do a lot better about sticking with the pack in general. I guess that's particularly bad when you're on the low end of the match.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

About the only thing to do when you're a bottom of the heap 8 in a T10 match is to keep the hell back and and sneak in shots in where needed. Still really risky and I hope you brought something mobile with great gun. Also I recommend lots of camo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry, I realized I forgot to clarify. I might just be bad since I came back, but I also have trouble penning German T9 heavies in particular. Even E50s are tricky. I think I remember Ensign saying they've buffed a lot of German armor?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess I'm exaggerating it, but if there's well armored heavies you can't really do anything against them without shooting gold. And your semi-bouncy hull at T8 may as well be sheet metal facing T9 guns. To be fair, I could do a lot better about sticking with the pack in general. I guess that's particularly bad when you're on the low end of the match.

I am currently grinding a Tiger2 so I am perfectly aware of this.

If I take a look at my current normal MM tier8s, some work fine in tier10 (SU-14-2, Obj416, T34, Ferdie, IS-3), while some are just depressing to play (M4A1 Rev, FV4202P, CDC, Tiger2, AT15).
You either need a tank with a great gun (like T34, Obj416, IS-3 or Ferdie), somewhat reliable armour on parts of the tank (IS-3, T34) or arty to alleviate the issues with higher tiers.

And for some reason I just bought a Tortoise, since I kinda enjoyed the AT15.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Sorry, I realized I forgot to clarify. I might just be bad since I came back, but I also have trouble penning German T9 heavies in particular. Even E50s are tricky. I think I remember Ensign saying they've buffed a lot of German armor?

The E-75 and Ausb B are some of the absolutely best-armored tanks in the game. The E-50 has better armor than many heavy tanks. You're supposed to have trouble penetrating their fronts.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It used to be that I could pen the LFP, at least I remember being able to. The E50 I definitely could. Then again, this was late 2012. I feel like the accuracy was also better, so I could cupola snipe a lot of tanks reliably. Or maybe they just buffed a lot of cupolas.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Accuracy was way better between 8.6 and 9.6. The E-50 and Ausf B also had some armor buffs. +30/20 mm UFP/LFP and +120 mm LFP respectively, iirc. E-75 has always been indestructible.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I completed TD15 with honours (Stug IV) in a St Emil and was harangued for being a camper bot by a "sniper" 251, to the point he gave my position away to the enemy team.

I just don't understand.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

goomsnarr posted:

I completed TD15 with honours (Stug IV) in a St Emil and was harangued for being a camper bot by a "sniper" 251, to the point he gave my position away to the enemy team.

I just don't understand.

Some people hate winning so much that they actively try to prevent you from doing it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

goomsnarr posted:

I just don't understand.

Sometimes I'll rage out in allchat when our team has a bunch of useless sniper TDs and tell the enemy team where the campers are. Which is obviously a lie and is intended to just lead the enemy into the snipers' fire. Weaponized chat is frequently useful!

D.J. Booger
Jul 19, 2001
I just started playing again recently and I have a few questions.

1. I'm on the Centurion Mark I. Is the Centurion Action X any good?
2. I just finished the STA-1 grind. Is the STB-1 still worth getting?
3. What is the grind for the Czechoslovakian line like?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Sometimes I'll rage out in allchat when our team has a bunch of useless sniper TDs and tell the enemy team where the campers are. Which is obviously a lie and is intended to just lead the enemy into the snipers' fire. Weaponized chat is frequently useful!

That's actually a really good idea.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

lol Ultron and Earge, I had a perfectly aimed shot on that T-54, he was driving right into it, I was timing it perfect....crash. Got back into game, was dead, tried to exit to garage, black screen. I suspect that's the game telling me "you're loving dumb, you were at 9 for 18, shoulda cut your losses you dumb poo poo now go away" anyway rip you guys.

D.J. Booger posted:

I just started playing again recently and I have a few questions.

1. I'm on the Centurion Mark I. Is the Centurion Action X any good?
2. I just finished the STA-1 grind. Is the STB-1 still worth getting?
3. What is the grind for the Czechoslovakian line like?

1. It's bad
2. It's mediocre
3. Tier 6 and 9 and 10 are overpowered as hell, everything else is doo doo, the tier 8 is unplayable. The tier 1 is worse than all other tier 1s, and the tier 2-4 may or may not be good but they're basically worse Cruisers and also don't really matter.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Action X looks good on paper, in practice its a piece of poo poo.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

STB being tossed in the mediocre pile makes me sad.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

3. Tier 6 and 9 and 10 are overpowered as hell, everything else is doo doo, the tier 8 is unplayable. The tier 1 is worse than all other tier 1s, and the tier 2-4 may or may not be good but they're basically worse Cruisers and also don't really matter.

Tiers 2, 4, and 5 are poo poo tier bad, but tier 3 is pretty dope. It has a 3 round autoloader with great pen for its tier.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fayk posted:

Is this viable, given how new (bad) I am and that the highest tier stuff I have access to so far is a single Light IV?

Like Hellsau said, yes. I, for example, generally have 2-3 dozen tanks at each tier (aside from only 2-4 at tier 1 and 6 at tier 10). I have around 250 tanks total. :eyepop: I enjoy playing at most tiers, and would be willing to platoon with you in low tiers when the opportunity presents itself.

Fayk posted:

Does matchmaking ever mix people who are on US West and East? I assume not, since it makes a bit deal about 'HEY YOU GONNA SWITCH SERVERSSSS" when you get an invite from someone on East when you're on West.

Correct, the servers are separate for a reason. There used to be just a single cluster (East) but instead of centralizing it (e.g. to the Chicago area) they decided to split the already small-ish playerbase.

D.J. Booger
Jul 19, 2001

Hellsau posted:

1. It's bad
2. It's mediocre

Saint Celestine posted:

Action X looks good on paper, in practice its a piece of poo poo.

Thanks. How is the Centurion Mark 7/1?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

don't play centurions

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

D.J. Booger posted:

Thanks. How is the Centurion Mark 7/1?

All Centurions are mediocre and but huge, it is their thing, and while it works pretty well on average a fat jack of all trades tank is not always fun or optimal to play, especially without normal gold shells.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I happened to enjoy all the Centurions. They provide an adequate platform for their guns, which are the real stars of the show. Just remember that you effectively have no armor and play them primarily as snipers (like you would in a Panther). Just dont try to knife-fight like you would in a Soviet or American medium.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2016

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Mr.48 posted:

I happened to enjoy all the Centurions. They provide an adequate platform for their guns, which are the real starts of the show. Just remember that you effectively have no armor and play them primarily as snipers (like you would in a Panther). Just dont try to knife-fight like you would in a Soviet or American medium.

Which would be true if the E50M didn't exist. The E50m is better at sniping and has actual armor.

The Action X is huge, has no armor and the gun has a tendency to spray shots everywhere. The nature of the turret also means that even if you attempt to play depression games, your turret is so big that youll get hit first

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

Which would be true if the E50M didn't exist. The E50m is better at sniping and has actual armor.

The Action X is huge, has no armor and the gun has a tendency to spray shots everywhere. The nature of the turret also means that even if you attempt to play depression games, your turret is so big that youll get hit first

The E50M is a better tank, no doubt, but I still find the Action X fun to toll around in sometimes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I want an E50M, but playing the Panther II is boring.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Saint Celestine posted:

Agreed. The regular E-50 is also a better sniper than the Action X. The Cent AX turret is such garbage - when we were not-rigging Rampage, I would routinely "pen test" Cent AXs with my FCM and there's like 15% of the turret that you won't autopen. The "thickest" part of the turret is just worthless, and the only places you can bounce it are the extreme turret sides. Also it has a dumbhat and it's weird searchlight isn't in the middle of the turret like on the M60 so you can't pretend to be a cyclops. Actually, given how atrocious the Cent AX's bloom is, the M60 might be a better sniper.

Mr.48 posted:

The E50M is a better tank, no doubt, but I still find the Action X fun to toll around in sometimes.

The Cent AX is really fun to drive, and it would be a very nice tier 9. Unfortunately it isn't a tier 9, it's a tier 10, and it is therefore terrible.

BadLlama posted:

I want an E50M, but playing the Panther II is boring.

I struggled through both the Panther 2 and Cent 1 by doing doubles in Strongholds. The mediocre tier 8 mediums are just depressing to play - the CDC has ludicrous speed and a good gun to actually be a medium, the Obj 416 is really a nice TD with broken camo, the Pershing and STA-1 (and Chieftain/T95, which I rather like) can actually play hulldown games, but there are so many tier 8 mediums that are just garbo knife fighters or sluggish scouts with mediocre view range and poor weaponry. Why play something like the Panther 2 when you could play an IS-3 or VK4502A and have better mobility and an actual gun that can threaten enemy tanks?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The Cent AX turret is such garbage - when we were not-rigging Rampage, I would routinely "pen test" Cent AXs with my FCM and there's like 15% of the turret that you won't autopen.

You say that like there was someone other than me dumb enough to bring a Cent AX. :argh:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

You say that like there was someone other than me dumb enough to bring a Cent AX. :argh:

Look someone had to donate credits to me. I thank you for your contribution.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not sure how someone needs to struggle through the Panther 2. The only problem with it is gun depression. I've gotten a surprising amount of steel walls. Not sure what you're saying about the 4502A being better at threatening something. It has effectively the same pen as the 4502A, a whole 70 HP less, and the 4502A's armor is garbo too. The only real advantage is that the 4502A has better alpha, but the Panther 2's RoF is so good that you can pretty easily permatrack someone or get two shots in on a light/medium that's trying to run between cover. Its mobility is also great, it's faster than I remember the Pershing being and I loved the Pershing. If T8 ever stopped sucking, I would probably buy my Pershing back, actually.

I haven't played the IS-3 since 2011, so I can't comment on that. I remember it being really good, though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So remember that roll eye response about the great vehicle balance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG49ik1oHlQ

So they are announcing a special test server will be coming out in the near future specifically for it. And they plan to recruit from the active and skilled players to help them out.

Good luck hellsau!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know how well balancing around actual good players is going to work when 75% of the game's population are mediocre to awful. I feel like League of Legends did something like that way back when, and it didn't work well because so few people actually played like the top-tier players.

I could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know how well balancing around actual good players is going to work when 75% of the game's population are mediocre to awful. I feel like League of Legends did something like that way back when, and it didn't work well because so few people actually played like the top-tier players.

I could be wrong, that's just my gut feeling.

Scrubs are going to play like poo poo no matter how good the tank is, so you might as well balance for people who know what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

JuffoWup posted:

So they are announcing a special test server will be coming out in the near future specifically for it. And they plan to recruit from the active and skilled players to help them out.

They forgot to add that they'll only pick people from the glorious RU cluster, the only cluster that matters.