Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hahaha Wargaming has no idea how to play their own game: May's Medium Tank Week

quote:

Do: Load high explosive (HE) shells to deal with "open-topped" tank destroyers and artillery. These shells can be devastating on these lightly-armored vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Fayk posted:

I get that they want to prioritize quick matchmaking, but as a T3, more than half of my games (I'd say 3/4 at least?) have half the enemy team as T5s, this is just... stupid and unfun.

Tanks is a pretty unforgiving game for new players combined with tiers 1-4 being pretty awful and lovely. You will always get some games were you are two tiers lower than a ton of other people and it does suck. Once you hit tier 5 you will get into a bracket that has a lot of players and you will probably get more even matched games where you are top dog (You will still get in tier 7 games though).

And yeah warships was nice in the fact that if you were bottom tier you could still just spam HE at people and do damage.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 9, 2016

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Fayk posted:

I get that they want to prioritize quick matchmaking, but as a T3, more than half of my games (I'd say 3/4 at least?) have half the enemy team as T5s, this is just... stupid and unfun.

People were having fun in T3-T4 matches, so WG fixed that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fayk posted:

Fixed MM T5s make that happen. They're slowly trying to sunset the fixed MM tanks, but I think their current solution is "if you don't want to suffer T3-T5, buy gold to convert stored xp to skip it."

And then, by extension, become conditioned to keep doing that every time you bang your head into another wall.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fixed MM T5s make that happen. They're slowly trying to sunset the fixed MM tanks, but I think their current solution is "if you don't want to suffer T3-T5, buy gold to convert stored xp to skip it."

And then, by extension, become conditioned to keep doing that every time you bang your head into another wall.

Yeah, I refuse to throw money at a design problem (or shady practice if it's intentional) so we'll see if I can have enough 'ok' games to not mind.

Thanks for replies everyone and assuring me it's (less) bad at T5.

What is 'fixed MM tanks', in this context?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fayk posted:

The Churchill III, KV-220, Excelsior, T14, Matilda BP, and to a much lesser extent, the PzB2 T4 heavy, have fixed matchmaking. This means that unless they're dumb enough to platoon with a tank with 'regular' matchmaking, they'll never see anything more than T6 tanks (and even then maybe only one or two). This indirectly skews the T3 matchmaking for everyone else, because T3 MM is rigged toward providing T3 drivers with T2-T5 opponents, and the MM *has* to dump T5 tanks with fixed MM into favorable battles. The PzB2 is hard-locked at Tier 4, and will never see anything higher than its own tier.

It also doesn't help that T5 is about the last tier where mediocre or the "I ain't ever payin' no money for a free game" players can play and maintain at least break-even levels of credit sustenance. There'll always be more T5 tanks in the queue than anything else.

TL;DR: Don't throw money at the problem, but you might want to buy a Churchill III if you don't already have one - they go on sale for half off in the in-game store every so often, and they're selling it in the premium store at the moment for $5.79 for the next three days, which is ~40% cheaper than if you bought the cheapest gold package.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/vehicles/516/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 9, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^ He said it better.

Fayk posted:

Tanks who do not receive normal matching making. Standard tier 5 tanks can see tier 7 battle. A lot of premium tier 5 tanks only see tier 6 tanks max.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Fayk posted:

Thanks for replies everyone and assuring me it's (less) bad at T5.

It's less bad at tier 5, 6 and 7. Then you get to tier 8, and you're hosed again.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Churchill III, KV-220, Excelsior, T14, Matilda BP, and to a much lesser extent, the PzB2 T4 heavy, have fixed matchmaking. This means that unless they're dumb enough to platoon with a tank with 'regular' matchmaking, they'll never see anything more than T6 tanks (and even then maybe only one or two). This indirectly skews the T3 matchmaking for everyone else, because T3 MM is rigged toward providing T3 drivers with T2-T5 opponents, and the MM *has* to dump T5 tanks with fixed MM into favorable battles. The PzB2 is hard-locked at Tier 4, and will never see anything higher than its own tier.

It also doesn't help that T5 is about the last tier where mediocre or the "I ain't ever payin' no money for a free game" players can play and maintain at least break-even levels of credit sustenance. There'll always be more T5 tanks in the queue than anything else.

TL;DR: Don't throw money at the problem, but you might want to buy a Churchill III if you don't already have one - they go on sale for half off in the in-game store every so often, and they're selling it in the premium store at the moment for $5.79 for the next three days, which is ~40% cheaper than if you bought the cheapest gold package.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/vehicles/516/

Interesting stuff. Thanks, I had NO idea that different tanks had a different matchmaking model. What a funny (but hosed) idea.

Just to be clear, I have no problem throwing money at a F2P game that has a decent (ie, not finite 'energy' and poo poo) model, be it WoWS or Warframe, etc. I just don't want to give their analytics people fuel to say "LET'S KEEP DOING THIS, THIS WORKS" with a hosed up matchmaking situation.

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?
If youre not against making a new account, WOTREDDIT when creating your account gives you some gold, some premium time(earn extra credits/xp), and a Chuchill III Premium Tier 5 Tank which is nice.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fayk posted:

Interesting stuff. Thanks, I had NO idea that different tanks had a different matchmaking model. What a funny (but hosed) idea.

Just to be clear, I have no problem throwing money at a F2P game that has a decent (ie, not finite 'energy' and poo poo) model, be it WoWS or Warframe, etc. I just don't want to give their analytics people fuel to say "LET'S KEEP DOING THIS, THIS WORKS" with a hosed up matchmaking situation.

Oh, I wasn't implying that you were one of those stubborn "never gonna spend money" types, just that T5 tends to be the 'end of the line' for a lot of players. There are fixed-MM T8 premium tanks as well - the Type 59, IS-6, KV-5, FCM 50t, WZ-111 (rare), 112, the Super Pershing...

WG says they're never going to put out another tank with fixed/preferential MM, instead simply making them 'just good enough' that they can survive/work with the standard MM, and they've been phasing out the remaining ones piecemeal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WG says they're never going to put out another tank with fixed/preferential MM, instead simply making them 'just good enough' that they can survive/work with the standard MM, and they've been phasing out the remaining ones piecemeal.

They say this, but all of their recent premiums have been absolute trash. I'm looking at you Turán III.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

They say this, but all of their recent premiums have been absolute trash. I'm looking at you Turán III.

They are simply worried about repeating the Type 59/E-25 thing again where you have a obviously superior premium tank. But also none of the premiums are really all that interesting, which is the real bummer. The SU-100Y for example, its honestly not as good as a SU-100, but its hilarious to blap some poor rear end in a top hat with a 130mm gun.

They really need to collapse the servers and work on a -1/+1 matchmaking and call it a day. I think of all the tiers, tier 3 and tier 4 would benefit the post, tier 3s are just helpless against tier 5s if they aren't TD's, and tier 4's are cannon fodder to tier 6's. Tier 7 is also rough, since you can see things like E-75s/VKs that simply give no fucks about anything they have to shoot at them.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

just giving T1-3 tanks more HP would help a bunch.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The actual issue with tier 3 matchmaking is a result of the 'newbie protection' they added. Experienced players in tier three or lower tanks with more than a thousand battles get placed in different matches from actual new players. Seems good, now new players aren't getting stomped on by four skill Cruiser 4 players! Except the only way to form tier three matches is by getting thirty players in tier 2 or 3 tanks, which is difficult to do. So experienced tier 3 players get shunted into tier 4 or 5 matches 90% of the time, and that isn't an exaggeration. Now matchmaker has a bunch of new tier 1, 2, and 3 players....gently caress it let's throw the 20ish tier 1 and 2 players into a match and the new tier 3 players can get poo poo on by tier 5s as well!

So you're stuck as a bottom tier tier 3 tank a large percentage of the time. It is incredibly tiring being totally unable to damage half the enemy tanks, even with premium ammo, while having less view range than the enemy high tiers and also at best surviving two hits from the enemy if they low roll, and frequently being one shottable. So the people who used to loving love playing their Pz1C or whatever now can't have fun playing it, so they either stop (in which case matchmaker now has even fewer tier 3s available to form a match) or switch to a pref 3 like the T-127 and now we're back to new players being clobbered by experienced players who the newer players cannot realistically even damage. Nice work accomplishing nothing except bad poo poo, Wargaming!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Hellsau posted:

So I play Magic the Gathering: Online, right? They came out with a set of reprints. There was a card reprinted called "Blinding Beam". It's a really good card - and it did not function at all. It just did nothing. The original version of that card, same name/text/function? It worked like normal. How does one card just not work when the same card with a different little symbol on it does?

Because MTGO is loving AWFUL! I played Magic starting in 1994 and even though I really like the game still but hate going to the local shop, I still can't bring myself to play MTGO because it is so terrible in every way.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The actual issue with tier 3 matchmaking is a result of the 'newbie protection' they added.

Newbie protection shits on tier 3, but there are so few players at tier 1 and 2 that it breaks completely and just throws experienced players in with the newbies.

In other news, Wargaming is apparently doing a complete rebuild of the matchmaker and also a global rebalance this summer, so maybe they won't gently caress everything all to poo poo.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'm a bad player and sometimes load HE as my first shell in some mediums. Chances are the first thing I'll spot is a LT and I can have some HE fun, or I'll do some chipdamage to the other tanks and don't care if my reload is good enough.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm a bad player and sometimes load HE as my first shell in some mediums. Chances are the first thing I'll spot is a LT and I can have some HE fun, or I'll do some chipdamage to the other tanks and don't care if my reload is good enough.

I did this when I was grinding the Chinese mediums and they just released the new scout tanks for USA. It lead to some pretty funny start to rounds. Its probably not the best thing to be doing but oh well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

quote:

-Will 88 l/56 APCR get buffed from 171 to 191? -Not in 9.15.

Jesus Christ could you imagine the poo poo I could get up to in the VK3002D with 20 more gold pen? Christ.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

maybe they'll finally nerf gold ammo in the rebalance :geno:

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Replay

Thought I had an Ace Tanker there for a minute, but a couple misses cost me. The leFH is pretty hilarious.

I would have had another kill and potentially more damage, but check out the bot that parks right next to me and sits there the whole match. A T-34-85 comes to kill me, I shotgun him and serve him up on a silver platter for the bot, but the bot doesn't do poo poo, and I die. :(

edit: Also, at some point I loaded premium shells and then forget. Oh well.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 10, 2016

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BadLlama posted:

I did this when I was grinding the Chinese mediums and they just released the new scout tanks for USA. It lead to some pretty funny start to rounds. Its probably not the best thing to be doing but oh well.

I did not know I had to play this game like a pro, I just wanted to have fun once in a while.

I forgot this is WoT.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

I did not know I had to play this game like a pro, I just wanted to have fun once in a while.

Why so defensive friend, I literally said I did the same thing and it was really fun.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Why so defensive friend, I literally said I did the same thing and it was really fun.

I am really insecure and enjoy driving french tanks most of the time.
There is a connection there.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

deathbagel posted:

Because MTGO is loving AWFUL! I played Magic starting in 1994 and even though I really like the game still but hate going to the local shop, I still can't bring myself to play MTGO because it is so terrible in every way.

Everyone knows YuGiOh is the superior card game :smug:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have two questions

1) What'd be easiest set of missions to accomplish out of the following? I just need to complete 7 light tank missions with honors OR complete 9 SPG missions with honors OR complete 1 light tank mission (LT15) and 4 SPG missions (SPG-12 thru 15). I don't have any arty higher than tier 5 at the moment but I can buy the M40/43 in a week or two.

2) Once I finish the StuG IV mission I'll have two female brits, two female yanks, and two female Russians. It worked out that way because I didn't realize sisterhood doesn't stack with brotherhood. What two person tanks should I put them in for maximum lols, trolling, and fun?

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
You only need LT-15 or SPG-15 with honors to complete those sets. You can just complete the stock missions up until 15 if you only wanna complete 4 of the last missions. Example: MT-15 with honors, TD-15 with honors, HT-15 with honors, and SPG-15 with honors will net you a Stug IV. No need to get honors on any other mission.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

~5700 damage, ~1350 spotting damage, 1588 base experience, Steel Wall, High Caliber, Confederate, yadda yadda yadda

I'll start this out by saying I kind of hosed up by not knowing that the map had changed so my little jaunt to the middle of the map was rudely interrupted by some reds trying to put holes in my tank so I did the only thing that seemed reasonable, I moved up to the central ridge and started scouting with my face and laying shells into any target that presented itself while trying to stay hull down to anything that could penetrate my tank's hull. It worked out pretty well.

http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/arishtat-na-f8cdc9834e653fa7b13d146e1b0ebd2c/sand_river-usa-t32-6553636225228475

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Who was it that was saying that they never see arty shotgun tanks on the move?

http://wotreplays.com/site/2681357#westfield-mc_mcmic-t-34-85_rudy

Watch as I get owned from 200 meters away while weaving down a hill at 60 km/h. I actually had to give the guy props. Ridiculous shot from a completely perpendicular angle.

Edit: This also demonstrates the ridiculous camo and bush sitting capability that arty have. This guy should not have been able to remain un-spotted until he fires while a Rudy and Cromwell B, both presumably with good crews and coated optics, drive by at 200m and 175m respectively. It probably wouldn't have mattered in this case (at least to me), but the spotting ping didn't go off until well after I was a wreck.

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 10, 2016

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Captain Blaargh posted:

Hey, Sub. Thanks again for gifting my poor rear end the Crom B.

Not a problem, hope you enjoy it!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fayk posted:

So I'm pretty new to the game. Also pretty bad, but that said:

WHAT THE gently caress IS WITH THE MATCHMAKING.

Tier mismatches in warships seemed silly and annoying, but less bad than this, because at least you didn't have armor penetration to worry about there (Well, sorry, for citadel hits you obviously did, but torps didn't care)

I would happily have 3x the queue time if I was mostly against same-tier tanks. At least there hitting them in the side/back etc at these tiers could still possibly do something. Instead, I'm a light tank and go SLOWER than their higher tier mediums (and sometimes heavies, I think?)

It's bad enough that it makes me question the idea of even continuing to play.

Look at it this way: when you get to tier 5 you'll be the one who gets to poo poo on the tier 3s! :eng101:

Also, platoon with goons. Get in the in-game goons channel and on Discord and we'll show you the ropes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

primelaw posted:

You only need LT-15 or SPG-15 with honors to complete those sets. You can just complete the stock missions up until 15 if you only wanna complete 4 of the last missions. Example: MT-15 with honors, TD-15 with honors, HT-15 with honors, and SPG-15 with honors will net you a Stug IV. No need to get honors on any other mission.

That makes thins so much easier. I know that LT-15 depends on luck, but I haven't heard any advice about what light to run other than don't use the T-57. What tanks are good for this mission?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Ugh, so I kinda want the IS-2, Cromwell B, and Rudy, but dont want to put any more money into this terrible game so I've been trying to talk myself out of buying them:

Cromwell B? I already have a regular Cromwell thats just as fun and the premium version is only tier 6 so it wont farm that much.

IS-2? Cant hit the broad side of a barn and it wont farm as much as my tier 8's anyways.

Rudy? I like dags, and this tank has a dag.

I think I might get the Rudy.

Am I making a stupid decision given that I dont have much money?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you already have those tanks.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Atomizer posted:

Also, platoon with goons. Get in the in-game goons channel and on Discord and we'll show you the ropes.

Yeah, 1000x this. I was having the worst streak of games over the past couple days, and then I ran into Ultron666 and Hellsau (Chillsau) randomly while solo-pubbing last night. We platooned, I knocked out a few wins with them, and my faith in tanks was (mostly) restored. Helps to play with better players.

I could seriously post more than half a dozen replays where my team lost 15-5 or worse over the past two days, and there was just absolutely nothing I could do about it. At the very least, that generally doesn't happen with three competent players on your team.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
So, a few posts back it was mentioned about the churchy being on sale for 5.79 or so. If I buy that on special, and get gold because I already have a churchill - is that good gold/$ value?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Squish posted:

So, a few posts back it was mentioned about the churchy being on sale for 5.79 or so. If I buy that on special, and get gold because I already have a churchill - is that good gold/$ value?

I thought they stopped giving us the gold value of premiums you already have?

Also holy poo poo, tried to solo play arty last night for a few games and my god it was awful. Every game the team was just murdered in under 2 minutes.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Is this viable, given how new (bad) I am and that the highest tier stuff I have access to so far is a single Light IV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fayk posted:

Is this viable, given how new (bad) I am and that the highest tier stuff I have access to so far is a single Light IV?

Low tier tanks are fun as hell when they aren't forced to fight tanks that have three times their HP. Most goons that don't hate fun have a bunch of tanks on every tier.