Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Just a heads up, new stuff should be tuesday or wednesday. After that we should return to our regular schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Recently started replaying CV (I know, shoot me), and it got to the "Steve is suffering." moment. So of course I just muted the game and watched him helplessly smash his hands against the door while listening to this for some ungodly reason.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7C5jkibzs4

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'll bet if I look hard enough I can find someone that did that with the "relationship" that Steve and Claire had

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I've seen wrestling shipping AMVs, so I don't doubt that it exists. Man, it's so sad we're never going to get to see Steve again :(. He and Carlos were both banished to the horrible swirling vortex of characters too inconsequential to even cameo.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Recently started replaying CV (I know, shoot me), and it got to the "Steve is suffering." moment. So of course I just muted the game and watched him helplessly smash his hands against the door while listening to this for some ungodly reason.

You are a sick and twisted person, and I laughed way more at the mental image that popped up in my head than I really should have done. Thank you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Our sidegame extravaganza continues with a short trip through Devil May Cry! Fair warning: I am horrible in this playthrough. The combination of being more familiar with the later instalments, not really practicing, and trying to talk while playing means that I bumble through pretty ineptly. I don't even discover the dodge move until episode 3 or 4 or something so for all you DarkSydePhil fans this is a bumper crop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2aZwWd-ou4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BvL88cglJ0

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 11, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Carlos was at least competant, and worked as a plot device, and to give Jill someone to talk to. Steve.....didn't fill that role very well. But then the plot to Code: Veronica is so incoherent and confusing I'm not entirely sure what Steve or Claire actually did for most of it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

They are completely superfluous to the plot, except Claire brings Chris to Antarctica where Alexia dies and Wesker escapes rather than possibly the other way around if he hadn't been there.

Edit: Wait they somewhat indirectly cause Alfred to die, he might also have survived.

namesake fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 11, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Oh, Devil May Cry. I never really got into this series, even though on the surface it was like some weirdly bastardised mash-up of RE, Onimusha and Dynasty Warriors -- three franchises that a lot of my PS2 time sucked up -- with all the exploration and action which went on. For whatever reason though, the general style just didn't click with me and I found myself not caring about it.

That being said, even I'm aware of this gem of a scene:
:siren:MASSIVE (probably) loving DMC SPOILER ALERT:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhoauIZaCDE
:siren:END SPOILER:siren:

Regarding Carlos, I'm not entirely sure why he was totally relegated to being a one-off character we'll most likely never hear from/of again. RE3's ending pictures -- both of them -- suggest that he and Jill would have at least stayed in some form of communication, and what with him being a former UBCS merc he'd probably be useful to the BSAA in some practical form with his skills, but nope! Despite being directly responsible for the survival of the franchise's original heroine, off he goes, consigned to the same dustbin of history as Billy Coen and other no-marks. (The BSAA meanwhile hires some questionable invididuals who appear to be incredibly incompetent, but I can't say anything else about this right now. After all, we don't even know what the BSAA is yet :ssh:)

But then look how long it took for Barry to get his rightful turn in the spotlight. Nineteen (count 'em!) loving years!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I really shouldn't be annoyed that we're never seeing punks like Steve or Billy again but dang it it just chafes me something fierce that the dumb gas mask man with zero lines or personality gets to be in every single game while actual real-deal characters are forgotten.

Though I should be grateful we didn't get some sort of Lady Steve in Revelations.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.

Lady Naga posted:

I really shouldn't be annoyed that we're never seeing punks like Steve or Billy again but dang it it just chafes me something fierce that the dumb gas mask man with zero lines or personality gets to be in every single game while actual real-deal characters are forgotten.

Though I should be grateful we didn't get some sort of Lady Steve in Revelations.

But he's edgy and cool and therefore appeals to today's hip youth!

In all seriousness I'm not too broken up about one-off characters like Billy and Carlos being pushed into the warehouse from Raiders. I'm a little more irritated that the other half of the surviving S.T.A.R.S. members have gone forgotten up until Revelations 2, and even then it was only Barry. What the hell has Rebecca been up to this whole time? You'd think she'd get a lot more facetime given how much Japan loves incredibly young and gorgeous protagonists. And appearing in Mercenaries Reunion does not count.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Sherry Birkin of all people was a main character in Resident Evil 6 so who's to say Rebecca won't be a main character in Resident Evil 7? :v:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, Sherry returned after 14 years, and Moira in Revelations 2 was a pretty deep lore cut. You could see anyone again eventually.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

I'm a little more irritated that the other half of the surviving S.T.A.R.S. members have gone forgotten up until Revelations 2, and even then it was only Barry. What the hell has Rebecca been up to this whole time? You'd think she'd get a lot more facetime given how much Japan loves incredibly young and gorgeous protagonists.
As far as "in universe" speculation goes, I'd say that after the mansion incident Barry was getting too old for a field role in this sort of unconventional monster-hunting poo poo, only being dragged into yet another round of it in Revelations 2 for family reasons. The man was approaching 40 during RE1 (nearing retirement age in that line of active military/special forces work), compared to Jill and Chris being a far younger ~23 and ~25 respectively. I doubt we'll see Rebecca again as either a main or side character in any campaign. She probably ended up in a rubber room somewhere after going through two separate spookhouse boogeyman incidents in as many days. And by now she's 36, probably way too old for a canon comeback regardless of Japan's love of young girls with big guns. :v:

Unless Caliban Cove somehow ends up as some sort of retcon game somewhere along the line but seriously, does anyone believe that can happen?

Lady Naga posted:

dang it it just chafes me something fierce that the dumb gas mask man with zero lines or personality gets to be in every single game
I think this is precisely why he's had so many cameos in minigames and whatnot. Because he has no established personality or character outside of being "that USS guy that always survives", he's perfect to just lump in as a faceless extra in Mercenaries and the like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tofu Survivor posted:

In all seriousness I'm not too broken up about one-off characters like Billy and Carlos being pushed into the warehouse from Raiders. I'm a little more irritated that the other half of the surviving S.T.A.R.S. members have gone forgotten up until Revelations 2, and even then it was only Barry. What the hell has Rebecca been up to this whole time? You'd think she'd get a lot more facetime given how much Japan loves incredibly young and gorgeous protagonists. And appearing in Mercenaries Reunion does not count.

She got RE0.

She got what she deserved.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tofu Survivor posted:

She's coming back in the new CGI movie, for what it's worth.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
In which we finally figure out the dodge move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkx0HJ5r-14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05tfg3j7Mb8

bman in 2288 posted:

I hope she too becomes a hot, mind-controlled blonde.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 12, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

As far as "in universe" speculation goes, I'd say that after the mansion incident Barry was getting too old for a field role in this sort of unconventional monster-hunting poo poo, only being dragged into yet another round of it in Revelations 2 for family reasons. The man was approaching 40 during RE1 (nearing retirement age in that line of active military/special forces work), compared to Jill and Chris being a far younger ~23 and ~25 respectively. I doubt we'll see Rebecca again as either a main or side character in any campaign. She probably ended up in a rubber room somewhere after going through two separate spookhouse boogeyman incidents in as many days. And by now she's 36, probably way too old for a canon comeback regardless of Japan's love of young girls with big guns. :v:

Unless Caliban Cove somehow ends up as some sort of retcon game somewhere along the line but seriously, does anyone believe that can happen?

they put on a stage play in Japan last year that was all about what Rebecca did after the Mansion incident. As near as I can tell this play is in canon (even though most of the world won't get a chance to see it) and basically she did a stint in BSAA as an advisor, similar to what Barry did and then hosed off to Australia to become a teacher. But even Australia isn't safe from B.O.W.s and so when there's an outbreak Piers and Chris show up.

I am not making this up

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'm stunned. Christ on a bike.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

they put on a stage play in Japan last year that was all about what Rebecca did after the Mansion incident. As near as I can tell this play is in canon (even though most of the world won't get a chance to see it) and basically she did a stint in BSAA as an advisor, similar to what Barry did and then hosed off to Australia to become a teacher. But even Australia isn't safe from B.O.W.s and so when there's an outbreak Piers and Chris show up.

I am not making this up

Dammit. It's bad enough Capcom has refused to localize a handful of games from a couple of my favorite series, now they're doing plays to expand the character lore? :argh:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tofu Survivor posted:

Capcom ... doing plays to expand the character lore? :argh:

bman in 2288 posted:

Oh hell, I bet it'll be the same story as that play.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Oh hell, I bet it'll be the same story as that play.

No, the new movie, Vendetta, has Leon in it.

It's anyone's guess whether the stage play is canon or not. There are a couple of untranslated audio dramas from the late '90s that sort of are.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

No, the new movie, Vendetta, has Leon in it.
Ah Jesus, another Leon movie? I like Leon, but holy poo poo Capcom, give the guy a rest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Leon is the only reason people are even watching the damned things, Degeneration was fun. Damnation was...a thing.

When is Vendetta supposed to come out? Next year? In time to line up with REmake 2 release?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ah Jesus, another Leon movie? I like Leon, but holy poo poo Capcom, give the guy a rest.

Leon might as well be the face of modern Resident Evil since he's the star of 4 and Capcom love porting that game to every system ever, multiple times. :v:

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Aces High posted:

Leon is the only reason people are even watching the damned things, Degeneration was fun. Damnation was...a thing.

When is Vendetta supposed to come out? Next year? In time to line up with REmake 2 release?

Sometime next year, not sure if they released an exact date. That said though, I'm not expecting to see anything but I'd really like it if Capcom had something to show for REmake 2's current progress at E3 this year.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
And so concludes Devil May Cry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-_nucskco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCbOygHRlE0

Up next...

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

wew lads

Will you be doing two playthroughs like RE1 or will you be doing just one since REmake is a much more involved game?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

wew lads

Will you be doing two playthroughs like RE1 or will you be doing just one since REmake is a much more involved game?

We haven't skimped before, ain't no way we're backing down this time.

And a note for all you peeps who wish you could hear the cutscenes but hate having separate videos, this game has full subtitles!!!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

Up next...
YES. Played through this one a lot again lately so I can dig out my sperghat again and nitpick any errors and errata :v:

(Seriously though, been looking forward to this one since the thread started, moreso after discovering how on-edge it can get you; good times!)

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Pro MLG One Dangerous Zombie knife-only run when? :v:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Tofu Survivor posted:

Pro MLG One Dangerous Zombie knife-only run when? :v:

Only if, during the entire playthrough, I am allowed to shout "that's one dangerous zombie!"

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Only if, during the entire playthrough, I am allowed to shout "that's one dangerous zombie!"

I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Fair deuce but you have to do your best RE1 Barry impression while you say it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So in terms of canon, does REmake offically supercede RE 1 as the 'offical' version?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

yep, because a lot of the extra story elements added in REmake are official

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
REmake is ostensibly a rewrite to try (keyword: try) and shore up a lot of the discrepancies that 2, 3 and CV introduced, as well as to make a little more sense of some of the more ridiculous elements (you see, the mansion isn't a disparate collection of items and puzzles because it's a videogame, it's because the mansion designer is craaaaazy!)

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

REmake is ostensibly a rewrite to try (keyword: try) and shore up a lot of the discrepancies that 2, 3 and CV introduced, as well as to make a little more sense of some of the more ridiculous elements (you see, the mansion isn't a disparate collection of items and puzzles because it's a videogame, it's because the mansion designer is craaaaazy!)
The concept of someone explaining to the builders that they want a secret door to only open when Moonlight Sonata is played perfectly on the piano is always amusing to me.

Also, it gives me an excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDedpreZH-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Hoss Corncave posted:

The concept of someone explaining to the builders that they want a secret door to only open when Moonlight Sonata is played perfectly on the piano is always amusing to me.
"Okay I want you to design this room so that when you take a shotgun off of a wall rack, the door to the outside hallway locks and the ceiling lowers like a huge trash compactor."

"So the whole mechanism should be activated or deactivated by removing or replacing the shotgun?"

"Yes, but only if you're a man."

"...I'm sorry?"

"If you're a woman, both doors lock and you get squished if you don't have a bearded middle-aged friend to help out."

"Uh--"

"Unless of course she's already met this purely hypothetical bearded man and received a weapon that's said to be really powerful against living things."

"I don't... What?"

"Then it works just like it does for the guy."

"Okay, you know what? gently caress it. It's your money. We'll figure it out."

• Locked thread