Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

heeheex2 posted:

Why is it so difficult to find current interest rates for government debt? There has to be more than a Fraser Institute PDF from 2014.

You could look at current bond rates or you could look at the latest budget and divide debt interest over debt. Eg. Ontario's debt is about $300b and we pay $11b in debt interest a year so our effective rate is about 3.66%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

B-b-b-b-b-ut guyz if you're paying rent and then you move out you have nothing! That's wakkie-nu-nu!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/penultsquire/status/730042074540609536?s=09

Lmao

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh no the fire in Fort Mac is burning perilously close to all the oil!!!!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
loving Canadian politicians are useless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

"You can be debt free with a mortgage" - the Average Canadian

This is literally what my friend thinks: he keeps saying that he's got X in debt, when in fact, he has X+his mortgage in debt.

Now, I think it's reasonable for some purposes to distinguish between productive debt (such as mortgages in a market that's not obviously overheated, or debt to start a business) and unproductive debt (debt used for speculation or consumer spending), but you still must count both things as debt when you are considering how indebted you are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

loving Canadian politicians are useless.

Name me a jurisdiction where politicians aren't useless (or worse, actively corrupt/harmful).

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

QUICK SOMEONE GET THESE PEOPLE SOME LNG

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You could say that we need to have a Fire sale of our natural resources

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

You could say that we need to have a Fire sale of our natural resources

OH MY GOD THERE'S A FIRE.... sale...

Honestly, Tobias Funke would probably make a better leader than Crusty Clark.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Well has anyone tried smothering the fires in oil? Maybe she's on to something.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Man, the RCMP really manages to combine heavy handed violations of the constitution with outright incompetence. Witness the finest minds in Canadian law enforcement trying and failng to extract an inadmissible confession from a teenager by literally using a little trick I like to call the Vic Towes One-two: "if you don't talk to us then you're clearly a terrorist child molester."

quote:

Lawyer says ‘outrageous’ RCMP grilling violated London tax hacker’s rights

The London teenage computer genius made it clear from the beginning of his RCMP interrogation that he had called his lawyer and was advised not to say anything.

For the next several hours during an interrogation that his lawyer said was in breach of his constitutional rights — and is being investigated by the complaints branch of the RCMP — Stephen Solis-Reyes, then 19, was asked if he was a terrorist who wanted to sell the data to “a terrorist country,” a pedophile, a coward, a serial killer, a sociopath and a psychopath, all while being denied a bathroom break.

“You’re so deep in caca right now, you don’t, I don’t even think you can realize this,” RCMP Cpl. Eric Demers said to Solis-Reyes during the long interview at London police headquarters after his arrest in the Heartbleed hacking case.

“I wanna make sure you realize in how much trouble you are.”

The RCMP’s conduct during the interview was “outrageous,” “horrendous” and “obviously in breach of his constitutional rights,” said lawyer Faisal Joseph, who defended Solis-Reyes.

“In 35 years of practice, I’ve never seen an officer do something of the likes of which they did to Stephen,” Joseph said.

Last week, Solis-Reyes, 21, pleaded guilty to four charges for exposing security weaknesses in both the Canada Revenue Agency and the now-defunct JerseyMail online postal services in the Channel Islands off the coast of France.

The Western University computer science student with the near-perfect scholastic average was sentenced to an 18-month conditional sentence, with the first four months under house arrest after he offered his apologies to the court.

Solis-Reyes used the Heartbleed Exploit to steal 900 social insurance numbers from the CRA in April 2014, forcing the taxation arm of the government to shut down online services and extend tax filings for a week.

He said he had only the best of intentions when he used the hack to show the vulnerabilities.

But it appears great pains were taken to frighten the teen into a confession after his arrest.

A transcript of the interview filed as an exhibit at Solis-Reyes’s guilty plea and sentencing last week reveals the extremes the RCMP tried to get a confession.

“Silence or refusing to talk show guilt a lot more than actually talking,” Demers told Solis- Reyes.

“I have nothing to say . . . (inaudible) I intend to follow that advice,” Solis-Reyes said.

When Solis-Reyes repeated he was following the advice of his lawyer, Joseph was waiting at police headquarters to see his client.

There are issues with the transcript, including the 247 times Solis-Reyes’ comments are “inaudible” — times Joseph suspects he was asking to see his lawyer.

Joseph commented to the judge about the conduct of the RCMP.

On Monday, the RCMP said by email Joseph’s allegations are being reviewed by the RCMP’s Civilian Review and Complaints Commission: “As such, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

Joseph said the bluffs and accusations thrown at the frightened teen were appalling. Solis-Reyes was told:

His father could lose his job as a Western University computer science professor.

His family will likely have to use all the money they had saved for a house on lawyers.
He was going to be “famous. And you know what’s the bad thing about being famous and trying to get a job after.”
In France, it’s legal “to tie somebody up in a hot water tank until he speaks.”
Asking the teen, raised as a Roman Catholic, “what would Jesus think?”
All this, after they assured Solis-Reyes they knew he was “a good kid” who probably “made a mistake.”

Joseph suspects the CRA was aware its website was vulnerable and was waiting for someone to exploit the weakness. “It’s clear from the experts I retained and the information I’ve received that . . . they were monitoring the Heartbleed situation from the beginning, but did nothing to prevent it until after the fact. I have no doubt in my own mind personally that this was a baiting game."

jsims@postmedia.com

twitter.com/JaneatLFPress

EXCERPT FROM THE INTERROGATION

RCMP Cpl. Eric Demers: What I’m trying to figure out, Stephen, is why the heck you do that. (Inaudible) You know what, what, what really bothers me is I thought I was dealing with a very, very decent person. You’re not a terrorist, are you? You’re not a terrorist. You’re not...

Stephen Solis-Reyes: (inaudible)

RCMP: You’re not....

Stephen Solis-Reyes: (Inaudible) answer (inaudible)

RCMP: Are you a terrorist, Stephen?

Stephen Solis-Reyes: (Inaudible)

RCMP: “Do I have to call the anti-terrorist section to be dealing with you?

(a few minutes later)

RCMP: You’re not a terrorist

RCMP: Are you a terrorist?

Stephen Solis-Reyes: I’m not gonna answer anything.

RCMP: Does that mean yes?

Stephen Solis-Reyes: I’m not going to answer that question.

RCMP: So should I be concerned about my safety? Should I be concerned about my country’s safety? Do you like this country?

Stephen Solis-Reyes: I decline to answer (inaudible) so I’m not gonna answer (inaudible).

RCMP: You don’t like (inaudible) country, do you?

RCMP: Or you’re just a kid?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That RCMP officer deserves to lose his job for that. What a goddamned idiot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ikantski posted:

Get on their email list for the real crazy

To be fair to Lisa ritt, when the conservative "surplus" amounted to twelve dollars in a piggy bank, it was kind of inevitable the liberals would blow through it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Sad but not surprised. If it were a story about some developmentally delayed guy that they cleaned up and put through school at great expense so he could use a hack tool they wrote to bring down a website they put up, it would be no less credible.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You know why Trudeau said no to help?

Because there is nothing worth saving in Fort Mac

It's beneficial to just let the private industries rebuild after all the damage is done, bigger profits and guaranteed jobs.

Also it's the same reason the police won't let anyone back into the city without having them sign an NDA saying they won't take video or distribute any information about the state of the city. Makes sense to make sure EVERYTHING is burned down and broken so they have poo poo to rebuild and make coin.

Jimmy-Bob Joe Jr will look at the construction companies as heroes once they come in and start rebuilding his lovely McMansion and setting up Truck dealerships.

Reset every 5 years by another wildfire THAT NO ONE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY PREDICTED in an area that has frequent annual wildfires.

Alberta is replacing the oil industry with construction.

Canadian taxpayers will pay the bill for the province that failed to save any of it's money for a COMPLETELY UNFORESEEN PHENOMENON THAT CAN JUST RANDOMLY HAPPEN WITH NO PREDICTABILITY

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's beneficial to just let the private industries rebuild after all the damage is done, bigger profits and guaranteed jobs.

Also it's the same reason the police won't let anyone back into the city without having them sign an NDA saying they won't take video or distribute any information about the state of the city. Makes sense to make sure EVERYTHING is burned down and broken so they have poo poo to rebuild and make coin.

Jimmy-Bob Joe Jr will look at the construction companies as heroes once they come in and start rebuilding his lovely McMansion and setting up Truck dealerships.

Reset every 5 years by another wildfire THAT NO ONE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY PREDICTED in an area that has frequent annual wildfires.

Canadian taxpayers will pay the bill for the province that failed to save any of it's money for a COMPLETELY UNFORESEEN PHENOMENON THAT CAN JUST RANDOMLY HAPPEN WITH NO PREDICTABILITY

Man, you should take your meds

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Source your quotes.

Also, how did you get access to my email inbox?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can I do a FOIP request against bunny's inbox? Because I want to see some of this crazy poo poo.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

So what's the reason for the NDA for releasing footage of the city?

Do you think construction companies are going to rebuild for free?

Why did the government ignore evidence that wildfires are a natural part of the environment that happen every year and maybe some money should be set aside for damages caused by a predictable event?

I sure hope it's incompetence at all levels but that's the same level of me assuming everyone had this all planned.

Will the construction companies that are set to rebuild the city have important ties to current politicians? We will have to see.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

I can't find anything about this.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
hoooo boy you're actually serious

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Will the construction companies that are set to rebuild the city have important ties to current politicians? We will have to see.

Of course they do. It's a long standing tradition since time immemorial.

A distant relative was a Calgary alderman and the Commissioner of Public Works after WWI. During the same period he was a construction contractor. Didn't emigrate from Scotland with much but he died very rich.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Fried Watermelon posted:

Do you think construction companies are going to rebuild for free?

Why did the government ignore evidence that wildfires are a natural part of the environment that happen every year and maybe some money should be set aside for damages caused by a predictable event?

I sure hope it's incompetence at all levels but that's the same level of me assuming everyone had this all planned.

what are you a sports journalist? Single sentence paragraphs are annoying, stop it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's a article I liked re: Trudeau not flying down.

http://rs1-22.wix.com/theyegsbreakfast#!Trudeau-Doesnt-Know-What-Hes-Doing/c1kod/5731295f0cf2aaefd5f681c0

quote:

And so in a situation where Trudeau isn't qualified or trained to make decisions, he is listening to the guidance of the people who are educated and do this for a living. The experts. He's in his offices, working on the logistics of what they need, not out getting in the way in Fort McMurray, or pulling resources away from where they're needed for the sake of a photo op. And he's letting the heroes that have prevented a devastating situation from becoming the end of Fort McMurray do their jobs.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

CanPol Megathread: hoooo boy you're actually serious

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

flakeloaf posted:

I can't find anything about this.

Googling that lead me to an article on "The Rebel". I figured you couldn't have a less reputable source than the Rebel but I was wrong because the hit turned out not to be from the article itself but rather from the comments section.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

MA-Horus posted:

It's OK the RCMP is investigating it's own horrible conduct

EDIT: Also I love how this part - "“Silence or refusing to talk show guilt a lot more than actually talking,” Demers told Solis- Reyes." is followed up with this part "On Monday, the RCMP said by email Joseph’s allegations are being reviewed by the RCMP’s Civilian Review and Complaints Commission: “As such, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”" What's the matter RCMP, not saying anything because you're guilty, huh?

Booourns fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 10, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

STRONG ECONOMY SECURE TOMORROW

quote:

Japanese oil refiner Idemitsu Kosan Co said on Tuesday its joint venture with Canada’s AltaGas would suspend a liquefied natural gas (LNG) project in Canada for the foreseeable future due to low energy prices.

A consortium of companies including AltaGas and Idemitsu in February had also halted further development of the separate Douglas Channel LNG project on British Columbia’s Pacific coast in Canada citing unfavorable market conditions.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

Name me a jurisdiction where politicians aren't useless (or worse, actively corrupt/harmful).

russia, 1917 *chaos dunks so hard the backboard shatters*

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Booourns posted:

It's OK the RCMP is investigating it's own horrible conduct

EDIT: Also I love how this part - "“Silence or refusing to talk show guilt a lot more than actually talking,” Demers told Solis- Reyes." is followed up with this part "On Monday, the RCMP said by email Joseph’s allegations are being reviewed by the RCMP’s Civilian Review and Complaints Commission: “As such, it would be inappropriate to comment further.”" What's the matter RCMP, not saying anything because you're guilty, huh?

My favorite part is the selective deafness of the transcriber whenever the kid asks for his lawyer.

To be fair to the RCMP as a whole, I can't imagine the London branch is staffed by the best and brightest.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lol this along with the Saudis promising to flood the market with even more cheap oil

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

lol this along with the Saudis promising to flood the market with even more cheap oil

Hmm maybe we should diversify away from fossil fue- NOPE WE GOTTA DOUBLE DOWN WE NEED PIPELINES TO GET OUR OIL TO TIDEWATER STRONG ECONOMY SECURE TOMORROW

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Helsing posted:

Googling that lead me to an article on "The Rebel". I figured you couldn't have a less reputable source than the Rebel but I was wrong because the hit turned out not to be from the article itself but rather from the comments section.

I think we get a free pass for using an ad-hom as a complete defense to this one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

russia, 1917 *chaos dunks so hard the backboard shatters*

In isolation, maybe. But what they actually did was create a system that was open to some of the most horrible abuses ever seen.

Setting up a system that only works if people aren't all cunty all the time is just setting yourself on the road to inevitable failure, because people are assholes.

That's what makes the American system so robust: it can survive extreme insanity because it's expressly designed to make it extremely hard to do anything ever. As it turns out,that's not a flaw but a feature.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i'm just trying to antagonize you, not actually have an earnest discussion about the merits and drawbacks of socialist revolution, jeez louise

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i'm just trying to antagonize you, not actually have an earnest discussion about the merits and drawbacks of socialist revolution, jeez louise

Speaking of governments that torture people who haven't been convicted of any crime, OLP is in the news.

quote:

Ontario's ombudsman is calling on the provincial government to abolish the practice of putting inmates in indefinite segregation.

The ombudsman's office has received 557 complaints about segregation in provincial correctional facilities in the past three years, and in one case someone was in segregation for more than three years.

The ombudsman says the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services doesn't routinely keep track of how many inmates are in segregation, but it recently found that the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre and the Central East Correctional Centre had 1,677 segregation admissions over five months last year.

Dube says, "it is difficult to understand the ministry's policy position that segregation is a last resort, carefully controlled and monitored," and instead seems to be a tool used to "effectively punish the most difficult and vulnerable inmates."

quote:

A United Nations expert on torture today called on all countries to ban the solitary confinement of prisoners except in very exceptional circumstances and for as short a time as possible, with an absolute prohibition in the case of juveniles and people with mental disabilities.

“Segregation, isolation, separation, cellular, lockdown, Supermax, the hole, Secure Housing Unit… whatever the name, solitary confinement should be banned by States as a punishment or extortion technique,” UN Special Rapporteur on torture Juan E. Méndez told the General Assembly’s third committee, which deals with social, humanitarian and cultural affairs, saying the practice could amount to torture.

“Solitary confinement is a harsh measure which is contrary to rehabilitation, the aim of the penitentiary system,” he stressed in presenting his first interim report on the practice, calling it global in nature and subject to widespread abuse.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
How much have we raised for Fort McMurray again? I'm not sure it's going to be enough.

Red Cross Built Exactly 6 Homes For Haiti With Nearly Half A Billion Dollars In Donations

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People go into segregation at OCDC sometimes because they literally don't have anywhere else to put them.

Especially when they're told that they can't put them in the showers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

How much have we raised for Fort McMurray again? I'm not sure it's going to be enough.

Red Cross Built Exactly 6 Homes For Haiti With Nearly Half A Billion Dollars In Donations

A 👏🏻 well 👏🏻 funded 👏🏻 comprehensive 👏🏻 welfare 👏🏻 state 👏🏻 is 👏🏻 more 👏🏻 efficient 👏🏻 than 👏🏻 private 👏🏻 charity 👏🏻