Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I definitely want to do the AEG game night on Friday. It sells out every year pretty quick but they always seem to have good swag. As well they should for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I've never done an RPG before, not sure how deep I want to get into it, but whats a good event for a dude like me?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Texibus posted:

I've never done an RPG before, not sure how deep I want to get into it, but whats a good event for a dude like me?

So that's kiiind of a broad question, but I'd recommend looking for games that run either Dungeon World or FATE Core. Both are very easy systems to learn that are pretty hard for a GM to gently caress up. Look for events that specifically say they are ok with complete newbies who don't know how to play the game. There's no specific event I'd personally recommend (except mine. Actually I am pretty good at introducing people to games. if you get into my Gamma World game lemme know), just jump in and try and have fun and do some silly poo poo. Con games are great for new people because, frankly, no one else is gonna know entirely what they're doing and screwing around is more expected than a long campaign with friends.

Sign up to some one-offs that sound fun or interesting and cross your fingers you get a good GM basically.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Texibus posted:

Games on demand usually has a fate or apocalypse world game running every slot so I'd check that out. I'd personally recommend an Atomic Robo RPG if you can.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I know it's broad. I just basically want to get a feel for that side of the hobby. I've tried a few times to get into shadow run and we lose interest almost immediately.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Texibus posted:

Yeah, I know it's broad. I just basically want to get a feel for that side of the hobby. I've tried a few times to get into shadow run and we lose interest almost immediately.

Yeah, that's basically jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim and a boulder tied to your legs. I like Shadowrun, but there's a lot going on there. Its not really a great game for people just getting into RPG's unless you have a GM who really knows their poo poo. The systems that Moles and 8one6 mention are much simpler to start with.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Texibus posted:

Paranoia is the best RPG and while it can be a bit intimidating for newcomers it is also the only RPG that really encourages loving with other people and sending notes to the GM so sign up for that, it's fun even when run badly.

Andy Netzel has 3 Toon games up (same concept) and my group is going to try to nail one for sure because it's super fun. Toon is a very easy system and this guy is a great DM, and he'll have things simple enough that you can show up and play, I think he'll even have dice (it's just D6 if I recall) if you need them. He has run fantastic games in the past (Seasame Street Fighter and My Little Paranoia, which was hilarious as we had half a MLP squad plus our Paranoia squad and the conflict was glorious) and while I don't know what this Gravity Falls / D&D Mashup is going to be like because I don't know what Gravity Falls even is I know it will be fuckin' awesome. This guy is responsible for probably my favorite event ever, and was super cool when through a series of critical strike GROVER FLAMES (I was a Grover/Dhalsim mashup) I solved a significant portion of his endgame and we didn't even realize it and he just flowed with it and was very adaptable. He is probably the only Wacky Zany person I've met IRL that is not annoying Wacky Zany but instead super fun. IIRC his day job is like elementary school teacher or something.

Hit these up if you can.

Avoid old-school D&D campaigns and you'll be fine.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Texibus posted:

I'm going to piggyback off of this and ask: what are some good RPG systems to try out at Gencon that are different than 5e or Pathfinder? I GM Pathfinder bi-weekly and have played 5e before, but outside of that I don't have a lot of exposure to other systems. I'm pretty open to anything that would be a good experience regardless of if it's "rules light", crunchy, etc.

edit: Looks like Sigma-X might have answered my question.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

I'm going to piggyback off of this and ask: what are some good RPG systems to try out at Gencon that are different than 5e or Pathfinder? I GM Pathfinder bi-weekly and have played 5e before, but outside of that I don't have a lot of exposure to other systems. I'm pretty open to anything that would be a good experience regardless of if it's "rules light", crunchy, etc.

This is shooting myself in the foot because there's only one or two events running for it and I want it I want it I want it, but if you can get into a Dread game, that's supposed to be pretty amazing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

For something not PF or 5e I'd suggest FFG's Star Wars RPG, Fate (of course), Apocalypse World, or Fiasco. Fate and Star Wars are going to lean closer to the traditional RPG experience and AW or Fiasco will lean heavily away from that.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

For something not PF or 5e I'd suggest FFG's Star Wars RPG, Fate (of course), Apocalypse World, or Fiasco. Fate and Star Wars are going to lean closer to the traditional RPG experience and AW or Fiasco will lean heavily away from that.

Fiasco is wicked fun the one time I played it but it is hard roleplaying with very little game. I was a dishonored former sheriff turned detective with raging alcoholism, and my secretly gay son was running away with one of the two perps for the crime I was investigating (themselves a gay couple) while the actual sheriff basically gave me poo poo the whole time. I forget who our 6th character was, I think he was a partner of the criminal duo and possibly connected to the sheriff. Their character generation / relationship system is pretty cool but we had a lot of romantic relationships we rolled for a group of all dudes.

We were all straight dudes but I think some of the guys discovered a side of themselves that night.

I say "hard roleplaying" because it takes a certain comfort and knowledge in how to improv a character and set up hooks for other people to jump in on and it's intimidating in a way that rolling dice and hitting orcs is not. I can't imagine playing Fiasco with a group I was unfamiliar with though, that seems like it would be awkward as hell.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I don't mind saying this since he already said it pages ago but Ilor will probably be doing some informal games of Apocalypse World using the Harn setting so keep an eye out on GroupMe for that poo poo. He's magic as a GM.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Paranoia is the best RPG and while it can be a bit intimidating for newcomers it is also the only RPG that really encourages loving with other people and sending notes to the GM so sign up for that, it's fun even when run badly.

Andy Netzel has 3 Toon games up (same concept) and my group is going to try to nail one for sure because it's super fun. Toon is a very easy system and this guy is a great DM, and he'll have things simple enough that you can show up and play, I think he'll even have dice (it's just D6 if I recall) if you need them. He has run fantastic games in the past (Seasame Street Fighter and My Little Paranoia, which was hilarious as we had half a MLP squad plus our Paranoia squad and the conflict was glorious) and while I don't know what this Gravity Falls / D&D Mashup is going to be like because I don't know what Gravity Falls even is I know it will be fuckin' awesome. This guy is responsible for probably my favorite event ever, and was super cool when through a series of critical strike GROVER FLAMES (I was a Grover/Dhalsim mashup) I solved a significant portion of his endgame and we didn't even realize it and he just flowed with it and was very adaptable. He is probably the only Wacky Zany person I've met IRL that is not annoying Wacky Zany but instead super fun. IIRC his day job is like elementary school teacher or something.

Hit these up if you can.

Avoid old-school D&D campaigns and you'll be fine.

I'm not at all an RPG person but paranoia is good fun, sign up for it for sure.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Agrias120 posted:

There's a lot of good stuff, so it helps to narrow it down a little. What are you interested in? Just something really different from D&D and Pathfinder? Particular settings or anything?

I like to go to Games on Demand. If you're not familiar, it's got 2 and 4 hour games and you go get a ticket before even houred times (2:00, 4:00. 6:00 etc). Then they call the tickets and you can look over the games running at that time.

Edit: as we get closer to GenCon, a list will be posted of what will be available, but they tend to add a few past that.

Generally there's a little flier for the game explaining what it's about, how many players, etc. Every time I've been the volunteers have been pretty knowledgeable about what's going on if you have questions.

The good points are:
- You never know what you're going to get (it tends to be where lots of indie games and people's homebrew stuff is)
- it's pretty quick - if you don't see any games that grab you, just walk away with only 10-15 minutes invested
- You can go check it out when you have a few hours to kill in your schedule
- You don't have to register for it in the mad rush of initial registration - just show up at the rooms with some generic tickets

The bad points are:
- You never know what you're going to get
- it can be a little frustrating if you're near the end of the line to pick
- the format doesn't really fit crunchy games like D&D, Shadowrun, or Eclipse Phase, so you tend not to see them at GoD. (Only a negative if those are your main jam.)

It's a lot of fun and I really recommend dropping by at least a two hour block. I've played Rat Queens themed Dungeon World, a Fate hack, a very nice murder mystery homebrew with some Fiasco traits called Everyone's a Suspect, and Call of Cathulhu. Only one game was kinda "eh", the rest were very fun.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 11, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh my god I forgot about Games on Demand, or as I like to call it: Saturday

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Agrias120 posted:

Strike

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
As a first timer this event sign up stuff is a life confusing. Is it just extra stuff to do that doesn't include the developer booths in the showroom floor?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Rad Valtar posted:

As a first timer this event sign up stuff is a life confusing. Is it just extra stuff to do that doesn't include the developer booths in the showroom floor?

Im a first timer too but it seems like the events are Pax Panels, except you are playing board games or doing workshops

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

"Events" at GenCon are basically anything that isn't the sales floor or the auction hall. They're all the games, workshops, talks, fun things. Right now you can go through these games and stuff and find things that interest you and add them to your wishlist.

In a few days you can then submit this wishlist and see if you get in any of them. You probably won't, but most people just go along to the events after the fact and pay in Generic tickets, which you can purchase online or at the con.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You probably won't, but most people just go along to the events after the fact and pay in Generic tickets, which you can purchase online or at the con.

Is it a lottery or first come first serve?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Red posted:

Is it a lottery or first come first serve?

Events are first come first serve. So fill out your wish list and jam the button when poo poo opens up and hope and pray.

If you don't get in the event, you can show up with generic tickets and hope the guy can slot you in. Almost always someone doesn't show, or the GM figured someones friend would be left out and brought an extra sheet. Don't expect it but it usually works.

Events are anything happening that isn't a booth. These include panels where people talk, game tournaments, RPG sessions, etc.

Generic tickets are $2 tickets. Typically games run $4-$8 for a four hour session.

There is definitely cool poo poo to buy and various game booths where people demo poo poo or whatever but for me gencon is all about doing like 4-5 RPG sessions with my friends over the four days and drinking and playing other games in our hotel at night, puncutated by buying poo poo and wandering the floor some.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I turned up to 90% of my games with Generics every time I've gone and not once been turned away, just to chip in on that.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions on RPGs, everyone! I'm going to look into some of the ones called out by name (especially FATE and Star Wars) and block off some time to check out Games on Demand. I made a note to look into GoD last year but never got around to it--I'll make sure to, this time!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Sigma-X posted:

Events are first come first serve. So fill out your wish list and jam the button when poo poo opens up and hope and pray.

If you don't get in the event, you can show up with generic tickets and hope the guy can slot you in. Almost always someone doesn't show, or the GM figured someones friend would be left out and brought an extra sheet. Don't expect it but it usually works.

Events are anything happening that isn't a booth. These include panels where people talk, game tournaments, RPG sessions, etc.

Generic tickets are $2 tickets. Typically games run $4-$8 for a four hour session.

There is definitely cool poo poo to buy and various game booths where people demo poo poo or whatever but for me gencon is all about doing like 4-5 RPG sessions with my friends over the four days and drinking and playing other games in our hotel at night, puncutated by buying poo poo and wandering the floor some.

Hmm, what if you really, really want to go to some companys panel? (I love infinity so I want to go to Corvus Belli's panel). If I don't get a ticket what can I do? Can you "Buy" tickets off of someone" or do you buy generic tickets and just show up at the panel and hope?

Also I was planning on making Friday my "walk the dealer hall" and Saturday my "Full of events day" since i heard saturday is the busiest?

Oh and for Wednsday I should be able to make it. Do I walk into the bar and scream "DO YOU HAVE STAIRS" or do anything like that?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Exmond posted:

Hmm, what if you really, really want to go to some companys panel? (I love infinity so I want to go to Corvus Belli's panel). If I don't get a ticket what can I do? Can you "Buy" tickets off of someone" or do you buy generic tickets and just show up at the panel and hope?

Also I was planning on making Friday my "walk the dealer hall" and Saturday my "Full of events day" since i heard saturday is the busiest?

Oh and for Wednsday I should be able to make it. Do I walk into the bar and scream "DO YOU HAVE STAIRS" or do anything like that?

Something like the panel, get there early and they'll probably let you in on generics. They can't over-pack the room for safety reasons, but generally those things aren't wall to wall. You can buy someone else's ticket if you really really need to, it's not like they check IDs.

The only time I've have generics declined was for a board game demo and all the scheduled players showed up. That said, it was The Witcher, and it was apparently Not Really Great, so, I still won.

Saturday in the dealer hall/ICC is a hellscape of humanity. Best to avoid it at all costs. That said, it's also when the best cosplayers that aren't the Papers Please crew go through, because it's the busiest, so, you know.

We all agree that the Papers Please cosplayers are the best, though, yeah?

ALSO: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/ge...ts&.cgifields=t - GET loving IN, BABY

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Thanks for the advice! Also uhh, you linked to hearthstone tournaments?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Sorry to Double post but real dumb question... Saturday i have been told to avoid the Indianpolis Convention Center, so Im guessing that means avoid some of the events and stuff? What else is there to do outside of the ICC?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Exmond posted:

Sorry to Double post but real dumb question... Saturday i have been told to avoid the Indianpolis Convention Center, so Im guessing that means avoid some of the events and stuff? What else is there to do outside of the ICC?

ICC just gets mad busy during that time, but a lot of events still happen in there. Don't build your entire schedule around it but be prepared for lots of people.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

ICC just gets mad busy during that time, but a lot of events still happen in there. Don't build your entire schedule around it but be prepared for lots of people.

Yeah, Saturday is usually when the locals with 1-day badges show up so it's going to be hella' busy around the dealer hall, but the events should still be fine.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
If you absolutely have to buy stuff that is a GenCon release / very recent release, you'll want to be there for the Vendor Hall opening Thursday morning. You may have to throw some elbows.

Friday the vendor hall is a lot busier and Saturday it's a mad house.

If you are just looking for stuff that has been out awhile or if you just want to browse the massive piles of geekdom, Sunday morning is pretty good because you can often haggle down prices at the non-corporate vendor booths (it helps if you offer to pay cash).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Can't wait for indian food again.
Any goons done any of the Escape Rooms? How are they?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The KGB one is a bitch. Requires more than 1 booking almost guaranteed.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Even registration starts in 9 minutes peeps. Get hype!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And here we go.
EDIT: Number 2489 in line, :suicide:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
drat servers making GBS threads themselves

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
My brother in law is #49.