Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ahiwattamplifier posted:

There is no way I'm going to read 6 years worth of poo poo to figure out how it ended. Spoil all of Gantz to me please
Why not just read Gantz-G instead?
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gantz-G
Someone has to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ahiwattamplifier posted:

There is no way I'm going to read 6 years worth of poo poo to figure out how it ended. Spoil all of Gantz to me please

You know I don't even remember any more because it was completely loving stupid and went in about 10 different directions before coming back to a wet fart of an ending.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
People die, Tae cries, and I think we see Abraham Lincoln.
It's kind of a blur

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ahiwattamplifier posted:

Okay so the Gantz missions end, and it turns out that they were training to fight off an alien invasion, which starts. People try to fight the aliens with Gantz suits, but the leaders of the world surrender to them. The aliens are giants and use humans for food and keep them as pets. Some of the main characters end up there and all sorts of wacky poo poo happens. Eventually they are able to communicate with the leader of the aliens and it's revealed that the Gantz missions were all just training to fight in this big interstellar war or something.

There's peace but then they have to fight the champion of the aliens in a big dumb battle that lasts way too long.

The vampires are never brought up again.

Not sure how accurate that is it's been ages since I read it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically all you need to know about gantz is that all the mysteries and secrets that were mentioned throughout were either not answered or would have been much better if they were not answered. if you have a question about something that happened the answer is always that it was dumb as hell and not worth reading

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I always kinda chuckled when people get mad at other series going off the rails etc and just kind say to myself "whatever it's only 5 mins to read a chapter each week, I'll just see it through" (See: Hajime no Ippo and Bleach). I did that with Gantz too. Then Gantz ended. Then I was really loving mad I didn't stop reading it like 3 years before then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but man, the dinosaur arc sure was awesome.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I wiki'd the plot from the Osaka arc on and holy poo poo you guys weren't exaggerating
I don't really mind the premise of a mysterious device that takes people who have died and puts them in dangerous combat situations in order to train them to fight the ultimate threat, but what a way to gently caress it all up

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Maybe anime boobs really are a distraction

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
But hey:

that sure was a thing that happened

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll admit, that scene was great though obviously not as intended

it would have been even better if kitten face and hitler chest were paired together, though

coathat
May 21, 2007

Begemot posted:

Man, I'd still like to know what the original writer's plan for Ajin was. Such a cool premise that went to poo poo so fast.

Ajin frucking owns.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

but man, the dinosaur arc sure was awesome.

I un-ironically really enjoyed the main dudes arc as he goes from totally poo poo teenager to semi decent person and decides to get out of the game. Hell if it just ended when he gets murdered by the vampires I think people would hold the series in a better light since it's all downhill from there.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Begemot posted:

Man, I'd still like to know what the original writer's plan for Ajin was. Such a cool premise that went to poo poo so fast.

Wait wtf are there people that actually prefer the start thats like a hamhanded JRPG allegory about racism to Sato crashing a plane into a building and killing 1000 police officers

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah before I read Ajin I always heard how it starts off great and starts to suck once the writer leaves, but I thought the beginning was the worst part of the series before it gets better and stays almost consistently good throughout. I'm not some sort of comic paneling expert but I find the way the action and gunfights are conveyed to be really engaging, and while I understand why people think the main character's shift to misanthropic downer happens too quickly it didn't bother me.

I remember reading somewhere the "writer" was just there to help start the series and lay the groundwork which is why he's only credited in the first volume, but I can't find a source on that so it might not be true.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

coathat posted:

Ajin frucking owns.

Latest chapters have been tight and strong, keep it up lone mangaka

coathat
May 21, 2007

halleys comet posted:

Wait wtf are there people that actually prefer the start thats like a hamhanded JRPG allegory about racism to Sato crashing a plane into a building and killing 1000 police officers

He makes a functioning teleporter with a bucket of fried chicken and a wood chipper. What's not to love.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My favorite part of Gantz was when the giant alien young girl took the main character's whiny girlfriend and put her in a hamster cage.

(I've only read the beginning and the last chapters starting from some point after those giant aliens attack)

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I read the entire Osaka arc and whatever that piece of poo poo that came afterwards was yesterday. When the journalist got to talking with ''''''''''''''god'''''''''''' and boob girl cloned the main character I just lost a bit of hope for our future as a species. Actually, now that I think back on it, the whole thing is pretty funny

Also holy poo poo the art is awful. I wonder how the series would've turned out if it wasn't for all the tracing of 3D models

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Another IAAH chapter, more chill shenanigans with the lovebirds~

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sooooo what I'm hearing here is that I should get back on Ajin

I also started reading Gantz-G out of nostalgia while we discussed how bad Gantz is and surprisingly it's actually got less fanservice and lame poo poo. didn't really figure that for a premise that is just "Gantz but gender switched". It's fun just seeing classic Gantz premise games again, where they get dropped into an area with a bunch of confused people and grotesque-looking monster alien things and where black ball man makes little jokes and assigns points. It feels so long since that, after all of the garbage of original Gantz post-whatever-point-it-all-went-batshit
maybe this Gantz won't devolve into crazy dumb bullshit

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Inception ripped off Paprika
Interstellar ripped off Qualia the Purple

Edit: except they're both less dope

ahiwattamplifier fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 10, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Don't I wish Inception had ripped off Paprika.

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure that people who worship Nolan have never seen a good movie in their lives

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Yeah, inception just felt drab for a dream movie. The entire opening sequence to paprika is bonkers

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shamo ended as it should have, just like 100 chapters too late.

Also Gantz is one of those things where despite so many people having said good things about it over time, I never was able to sit down and read it, not even the stuff before it apparently all blew apart at the seams. I don't know what it was, but from the very beginning it just didn't gel somehow and I'd tab away and kind of forget to come back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I liked how the inner chambers of that one guy's waking subconscious was just a Call of Duty multiplayer map.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Shamo ended as it should have, just like 100 chapters too late.

Also Gantz is one of those things where despite so many people having said good things about it over time, I never was able to sit down and read it, not even the stuff before it apparently all blew apart at the seams. I don't know what it was, but from the very beginning it just didn't gel somehow and I'd tab away and kind of forget to come back.
No.

no.

NO.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ryo real quickly took the spot in my mind for "Shittiest main character at immediate thought" and after a while I was just speed-reading to reach the end.

It's like I can't think of any other series where I read it to the end solely on the hope that the MC will be beat to death, so it gave me at least a little bit of satisfaction when we got there.

It is me, I am the only man actually happy with the ending.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Ryo real quickly took the spot in my mind for "Shittiest main character at immediate thought" and after a while I was just speed-reading to reach the end.

It's like I can't think of any other series where I read it to the end solely on the hope that the MC will be beat to death, so it gave me at least a little bit of satisfaction when we got there.

It is me, I am the only man actually happy with the ending.
i guess there is a way too look at it wherein dying like a dog after a completely pointless battle where he just mercilessly wailed on a mentally disabled person is in fact a fitting end for Ryo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Why not just read Gantz-G instead?
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gantz-G
Someone has to

Wow, how does this thing exist? Is as if someone had let a :tvtropes: dude use his "knowledge" about what made Gantz popular to create his very own.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

i guess there is a way too look at it wherein dying like a dog after a completely pointless battle where he just mercilessly wailed on a mentally disabled person is in fact a fitting end for Ryo

The problem is he could have at least gotten owned by someone with more ties to the actual story instead of a ridiculously stupid set of characters who just showed up in the final arcs who had no real ties to Ryo or the rest of the story much at all.

Seriously, it's expected to hate Ryo but when you end up hating the other 2 guys more, mostly just because they are the dumbest antagonists in the series by a long shot, it just makes the whole thing go to poo poo.

There were about 20 ways you could have taken the end of that manga that would have been a turn heel on the readers (which would have at least been funny), a moral ending for Ryo (justice?), an ending that just went for futility (which this one tried to but was terrible). Really just anything. To me Shamo was the worst ending of a series I can think of.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah considering how good it was prior to the creative split it has to be the most disappointing manga drop off for me as well.
I remember being pretty disappointed with Eden overall too but that had a knifing dog so I'm at peace with it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Gantz, I like to think that every single time Gantz teleports them into or out of a fight area the person in question dies and is merely copied with all memories, etc intact. Basically the teleportation problem, like in that current D&D thread, but also supported by the scene near the end where that bizarre god alien thing is like "humans are data, see I just made a copy of the girl with big tits and some other people."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah considering how good it was prior to the creative split it has to be the most disappointing manga drop off for me as well.
I remember being pretty disappointed with Eden overall too but that had a knifing dog so I'm at peace with it
knifedog does not make up for 100+ monthly-length chapters of nonsense culminating in a literal penis cannon + space vagina ending

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Gantz, I like to think that every single time Gantz teleports them into or out of a fight area the person in question dies and is merely copied with all memories, etc intact. Basically the teleportation problem, like in that current D&D thread, but also supported by the scene near the end where that bizarre god alien thing is like "humans are data, see I just made a copy of the girl with big tits and some other people."

Also the part where that one girl wishes for the protagonist to come back to life when he's not dead, so the ball just gives her another copy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That's exactly what was going on and they were very clear about it. I mean poo poo, the first big titty girl was a duplicate with a living original so it wasn't subtle at all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

knifedog does not make up for 100+ monthly-length chapters of nonsense culminating in a literal penis cannon + space vagina ending
Absolutely correct.
Still, knifedog.

Kniiiiiiiiiifedoooooog!!!!

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
Knifedog is the Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glenn Ross of manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

That's exactly what was going on and they were very clear about it. I mean poo poo, the first big titty girl was a duplicate with a living original so it wasn't subtle at all.

They were clear about it when they first died and were sent to Gantz, but they never seemed to mention the subject with regard to each battle and no characters seemed to consider the possibility.

Actually, one thing that runs counter to my post is the fact that the Gantz people can continue to feel and move their body while it is still being transmitted to the hunting area. Like, someone can move their legs in the Gantz room while their head is in the hunting area, which seems to imply that their "whole self" is being transmitted rather than the original being deleted and a copy being made at the destination.