Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
*C-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

yup, shriek plus t tail = c-5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

VikingSkull posted:

How do the C-5 and Il-76 compare on the noise front?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

VikingSkull posted:

I'm almost done with Command & Control, and they didn't do that stuff before 91 either lol

I'm only like two chapters in and it's already gripping. Good job thread.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Big O will be the first serving US president to visit Hiroshima.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Davin Valkri posted:

The Il-76 and C-141 are both quite a bit louder. That's not to say that a C-5 is quiet, though.

I've yet to see a C-5M in person though, I'd imagine they're a lot more tolerable.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not that a C-5 is loud, it's just that it sounds like some type of terrible space monster

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

It's not that a C-5 is loud, it's just that it sounds like some type of terrible space monster

To be fair, man has yet to devise an implement that is better at turning dozens of gallons of hydraulic fluid into aerosol than the C-5.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Davin Valkri posted:

I'm not sure if the old-engine Il-76s are still flying in the west - I'd say a modern C-5 and Il-76 are about the same.

Old engine'd IL-76/86s are earth-shakers; way louder than anything comparable western.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

VikingSkull posted:

You know, it may have been. I only caught the rear end end of it as it passed the trees.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Loudest goddamn jet I ever heard is a B-1B on takeoff roll.

It's as if through noise alone the jet was testing the tensile strength of the woven fabric of reality.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Fat Leader continues the Kim dynasty's proud tradition of shameless nepotism.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

3 weeks later: Kim-Jong Un's sister executed by rabid wolves

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Someone who's never been near a C-141 spotted.

You can still hear the glorious sound of freedom TF-33s on the E-3. The B-52, too, but it sounds different with 8.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

You can still hear the glorious sound of freedom TF-33s on the E-3. The B-52, too, but it sounds different with 8.

True.

Are there any KC-135Es still kicking around, or are they all baking in the desert, now?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

But didn't you hear? Dear Leader got a promotion!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrYenko posted:

True.

Are there any KC-135Es still kicking around, or are they all baking in the desert, now?

They're all CFM-powered.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

So, I just read an account of the sinking of K-278. It's pretty loving :stare: Highlights include the hull getting so hot poo poo starts to melt off it, mass hypothermia, and a bunch of dudes trying to use a submerged escape capsule.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

When you're done with that, check out K-219.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's as if through noise alone the jet was testing the tensile strength of the woven fabric of reality.

Got stuck behind one on takeoff. The afterburner jet cut across our nose.

I could feel my lungs jiggling.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrYenko posted:

True.

I think Chile might have a few.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

holocaust bloopers posted:

An F-14 on afterburner doing a sneak pass at an airshow is probably mine, but the bone is :stare:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The third TOW vs. T-90 video from Syria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CL6jPvg9o

This one looks like a long range front/side hull hit (my guess is the side of the front hull right through the K-5/skirts). Didn't explode like the first one did, but the tank's a goner (propellant fire) based on the drone footage at the end.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 12, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Warbadger posted:

The third TOW vs. T-90 video from Syria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CL6jPvg9o

This one looks like a long range front/side hull hit (my guess is the side of the front hull right through the K-5/skirts). Didn't explode like the first one did, but the tank's a goner (propellant fire) based on the drone footage at the end.

Russian "miracle anti-TOW" devices don't seem to be working as advertised. That's got to hurt sales.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Blistex posted:

Russian "miracle anti-TOW" devices don't seem to be working as advertised. That's got to hurt sales.

I'm sure the Indians are happy they declined to spend the extra money for Shtora kits on their T-90s.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I'm wondering if we might not be getting to another tipping point where AFV designers go back to light, fast, and LO vehicles to just avoid the hit in the first place. The proliferation of ATGMs is only going to get worse.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Or forgo armour in favour of CIWS like ships did.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm wondering if we might not be getting to another tipping point where AFV designers go back to light, fast, and LO vehicles to just avoid the hit in the first place. The proliferation of ATGMs is only going to get worse.

This has been a debate since the '73 Yom Kippur war. Jury's still out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Smiling Jack posted:

This has been a debate since the '73 Yom Kippur war. Jury's still out.

The problem I see with this whole situation is that admitting that ATGMs are just going to kill poo poo and going fast, light, and LO will completely gently caress up the risk calculus for a lot of western militaries. As it stands our tolerance for risk is basically zero. It's just not politically acceptable to say that in an engagement vs. Third World Terrorist Group 4387 we're going to lose X% of our vehicles to whatever they have to throw at us. At the same time, the fact that even assholes like ISIS can get ATGMs now means we're probably already there.

Force projection with minimal casualties has been a huge part of American foreign policy and crew survival has been a huge part of western tank design for 30 years at least. I really don't know which way you jump if you're the US Army.

Well, other than just not get involved in quagmire conflicts of questionable utility, but that will probably happen about the time we're using Grover Lasers to suppress the Third Lunar Uprising.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

The current strategy seems to be the status quo (tons of armor up front) plus hard kill systems to detect and kill the incoming missile like CIWS.

Trophy on the Merkava worked fantastically against the Kornet, which stands out when compared to Russian T-90A's getting whacked by 80's era US ATGMs (and not even the top-attack variants at that), Saudi M1A1's getting whacked by 90's era Soviet ATGMs, and Merkavas getting whacked by Kornets in last conflict that was a thing in.

I don't expect heavy armor to go away, because it does work and it does greatly reduce the number of things that are threatening to a tank. The successful missile attacks against the M1A1/T-90 and such have been to the sides/rear/top after all. Instead we'll probably seem some big changes in tank design along the lines of the T-14's smaller crew/automated turret to allow even greater amounts of armor in smaller packages.

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm sure the Indians are happy they declined to spend the extra money for Shtora kits on their T-90s.

Yep. The Russians also omitted it from the T-14 while keeping the smoke (which could be useful if somebody tries to drop a laser guided bomb or artillery round on your tanks). Based on the design you really shouldn't expect Shtora to work against anything aside from laser guided munitions or first gen SACLOS (and then only if the crew got lucky and had it on and pointed in the right direction at the time), so all of this was kinda expected unless you get your news from Russian marketing videos. The really odd thing is actually that the T-90A never deployed the Arena system past the first two trial vehicles and Russian APSs in general have been aimed at export rather than internal deployment.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 13, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

Nuts to that, we need to double down and make land ships.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Back Hack posted:

Nuts to that, we need to double down and make land ships.
Yup, checks out, the future is awesome

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This took a while to fully sink in.

:wow:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
keep the spoilers for the next Mad Max movie out of this thread tia

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truly, I was born in the wrong version of the multi-verse.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let's not forget the USS Battlewagon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOYcPic7D4

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

david_a posted:

Yup, checks out, the future is awesome

I'm the hydrofoil that renders the tracks completely useless.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This seems uniquely overcomplicated awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Burning Man project spotted.