Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dark Souls is a series with superior animations
https://a.pomf.cat/uggqgv.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where do I get those heels from?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Where do I get those heels from?

They're a part of the Black Witch set, which you can get either by purchasing them from Navlaan in base DS2, or by killing a phantom that appears after lighting all of the torches in the Gutter in SotFS.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
gently caress these parry spammers.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

just jump attack someone if they look like they're going for a parry. they'll stop

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

should I give the eyes to the woman? Ludleth is advising against I think.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

double nine posted:

should I give the eyes to the woman? Ludleth is advising against I think.
There are no consequences, it just unlocks another choice.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

GulagDolls posted:

just jump attack someone if they look like they're going for a parry. they'll stop

Yeah with the poo poo netcode and my luck ill get back stabbed while in the air (has happened to me). The window for parry is way way way too large. it's need to be much tighter. They also need to nerf the counter ring.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Szcwczuk posted:

Yeah with the poo poo netcode and my luck ill get back stabbed while in the air (has happened to me). The window for parry is way way way too large. it's need to be much tighter. They also need to nerf the counter ring.

Szcwczuk posted:

If you are so anti-pvp offline mode is there to hold your hand.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Considering parries are one of the few ways to prevent rollestus I think that needs to get sorted out first

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Except I'm doing structured PVP. It's ok though you can keep complaining about not being able to have extra HP and 3 people playing the game for you without invaders.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

Except I'm doing structured PVP. It's ok though you can keep complaining about not being able to have extra HP and 3 people playing the game for you without invaders.

Play offline.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Control Volume posted:

Play offline.

This is literally the only thing you post in this thread.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Szcwczuk posted:

This is literally the only thing you post in this thread.

Play offline.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Szcwczuk posted:

The hornet ring is too strong (also all attacks are too strong but that's been a problem in almost every game) but dead angling is back (although I don't know exactly how it works with a straight-ahead attack. I'm suspicious that hitting with your back is how to do it but it's hard to tell for sure with the latency) and you can also charge attacks to vary your timing. Parrying was barely relevant in DS1 PVP after about 6 months and it should end up less so in DS3.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shouldn't you be able to save Greirat on the first play through if someone gives you a set of Onion armor to give to Siegward, and Patches keeps his?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Need a non-cringeworthy Souls podcast for the gym. Any recommendations?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Deified Data posted:

I presume you've already given Bonfireside Chat a try and didn't much care for it then?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Szcwczuk posted:

Szcwczuk posted:

Nice meltdown.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Deified Data posted:

I think Bonfireside Chat is pretty much the only non-cringeworthy one out there, afaik.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I presume you've already given Bonfireside Chat a try and didn't much care for it then?

I haven't - it's good?

HaB posted:

I think Bonfireside Chat is pretty much the only non-cringeworthy one out there, afaik.

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The hornet ring is too strong (also all attacks are too strong but that's been a problem in almost every game) but dead angling is back (although I don't know exactly how it works with a straight-ahead attack. I'm suspicious that hitting with your back is how to do it but it's hard to tell for sure with the latency) and you can also charge attacks to vary your timing. Parrying was barely relevant in DS1 PVP after about 6 months and it should end up less so in DS3.

Yeah the only thing that needs to change is hornet ring it needs to go from 30% to 15% It's very hard to punish a parry from the meta parry options right now. Outside of a jumping attack, something that costs a lot to do there are no ways to deal with someone spamming a parry. With the hornet ring all you have to do is land one parry to kill anyone.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Deified Data posted:

I haven't - it's good?

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Yeah, it's worth a shot. They just started their Dark Souls 3 season a little while ago and they do a bunch of other stuff related to videogames as well. Plus the guys who do it are goons so if you take issue with it you can even bring it up with them!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Did I really just see another player parry a giant crab. Can you really do that

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

you can backstab them or just, delay your attacks. there's a lot of ways to deal with it. although you have to be more frame-perfect with your backstabs than your parries in this game it seems

i don't think the parrying window is too large. if it seems ridiculous it's probably just latency. i've never been parried and been like "no way that should've happened." but I have had several failed parries that I felt should have gone off.

the hornet ring being a one-shot murder machine feels necessary for invaders to deal with how fast you can heal in this game. i dont think people should use it for fight clubs or duels though and in all the fight clubs i've been in no one has been wearing it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

super fart shooter posted:

Did I really just see another player parry a giant crab. Can you really do that
I somehow got a riposte on one without parrying once. I have no idea how, I was just mashing attack.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Szcwczuk posted:

Yeah the only thing that needs to change is hornet ring it needs to go from 30% to 15% It's very hard to punish a parry from the meta parry options right now. Outside of a jumping attack, something that costs a lot to do there are no ways to deal with someone spamming a parry. With the hornet ring all you have to do is land one parry to kill anyone.

There's dead angling but that doesn't work for all weapons

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_DVHcooQCM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sindai posted:

I somehow got a riposte on one without parrying once. I have no idea how, I was just mashing attack.

You can get a riposte-like attack (visceral attack?) on a lot of enemies if you hit them enough in certain areas, often the head. You'll hear the "fwoom" sound like a parry and they'll stagger a bit, if you run up to them and press R1 you'll do the attack.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Would Carthus Curved Sword users recommend sharp or refined, assuming infusion-appropriate stats?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Sindai posted:

Simply smacking them repeatedly quickly enough can stagger them and set them up for a riposte.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

If I see anyone try to be cute with parry Caestus spam I just unload a explosive Avelyn volley in their face.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I've been using the Knight Slayer ring to try and trigger riposte attacks faster, but I don't think it's worth it. If I'm using a straight sword I still need to get 4-5 hits in against a decent shield before their guard breaks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cultisto posted:

I've been using the Knight Slayer ring to try and trigger riposte attacks faster, but I don't think it's worth it. If I'm using a straight sword I still need to get 4-5 hits in against a decent shield before their guard breaks.

Okay, silly question. Are you using any of the straight swords with the Stance art?

If so, use the stance art (It has attacks for R1 and R2 button). I've guard broken people with a +0 Broken Straight Sword before with it. (Normal shields, I've not run into greatshields in PvP all that much to check if it still helps there)

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
No but I'll try that. I was actually going to swap the ring out for Horsehoof next time I head out to see if I can embarrass some people with a swift kick to the abs.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So, spoilers for Anri I guess,

If you wait too long to do his/her quest and don't take the dark sigil (possibly under other circumstances too?) you eventually find Anri laying on the marriage bed with a sword in their head. This kinda implies that Yuria found someone else to be the lord of hollows. But who? The only person I can think of is Orbeck, since she claims he has proclaimed himself lord of hollows if you go down her path. Who else is hollow? Sorry Anri, hope you like the married life, because it seems fated for you!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

turtlecrunch posted:

Dark Souls is a series with superior animations
https://a.pomf.cat/uggqgv.webm

:laffo: this is so good

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Having killed Nameless King now, I can safely say I think I'm gonna skip Archdragon Peak on all my future playthroughs. What an obnoxious fight. Nameless King himself is actually not really a bad fight -- it's tough, but on my winning try I pretty much got in the zone and only got hit a couple times. It's very fair, and I wouldn't mind the fight if that's all it was. King of Storms is a fuckin' dumpster fire of a camera twisting nightmare, and once you figure out its patterns it's mostly just a waste of time, so every time I killed him I would just be annoyed.

I wouldn't even call it the hardest fight in the game. I think Soul of Cinder is tougher just because he has such a massive number of attacks and they all have really weird timings.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deified Data posted:

Would Carthus Curved Sword users recommend sharp or refined, assuming infusion-appropriate stats?

Refined is significantly stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Szcwczuk posted:

Parrying is fine, Hornet Ring is fine. You just need to learn how to play against people trying to parry you instead of crying about it and blaming the game.

Here, have a handy video that has already been posted in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJmWiQawWqo