Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zurui posted:

Wizard School has gone from being a darling among a certain subset of nerds to an infuriating exercise in "we gave you half a million dollars and you can't write one update a month?" The creators haven't responded in the comments since mid-December and the game is (was) supposed to ship next month. Apparently they are still playtesting...maybe? I don't know.

I'm not doubting that we'll see a game. It's just ridiculous. There's no excuse for "someone can't spend half an hour writing an update once or twice a month."

Meanwhile The Big Book of Madness is already on shelves, has better art and is probably a better game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zurui posted:

Wizard School has gone from being a darling among a certain subset of nerds to an infuriating exercise in "we gave you half a million dollars and you can't write one update a month?" The creators haven't responded in the comments since mid-December and the game is (was) supposed to ship next month. Apparently they are still playtesting...maybe? I don't know.

I'm not doubting that we'll see a game. It's just ridiculous. There's no excuse for "someone can't spend half an hour writing an update once or twice a month."

Uhh, I'm looking at things and there's been at least one update per month since the project closed (barring this month, which isn't even half-way over yet). I mean, the updates might have been poo poo (I'm not a backer so I can't read them) but if that's the case then that's what you should be complaining about, not "can't be bothered to write anything".

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

senrath posted:

Uhh, I'm looking at things and there's been at least one update per month since the project closed (barring this month, which isn't even half-way over yet). I mean, the updates might have been poo poo (I'm not a backer so I can't read them) but if that's the case then that's what you should be complaining about, not "can't be bothered to write anything".

That's what I mean, though. The April update was actually written by their artist and was just an art preview. The February and March updates were "still playtesting!" Since 2 January, what we've seen of the game is two pieces of context-less art and nothing else. No rules previews, no sample cards, no descriptions of the process.

Tiny Epic Galaxies had a full-art PnP two months on. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Meanwhile The Big Book of Madness is already on shelves, has better art and is probably a better game as well.

This looks good and I will check it out.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Given that there are actual updates, even not great ones, I'd put that pretty well in the middle of the pack in terms of how things go with Kickstarter.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Some KS backers don't like getting no-news updates. When that same type of person runs a Kickstarter, they bring that philosophy with them and don't bother posting no-news updates. If there was news, there would be an update. No update means no news. Or maybe they took the money and ran - but probably it's the first thing.

I totally get why some people want more frequent updates, but you can use your powers of empathy to understand why someone might prefer that. As someone who gets annoyed at reading content-free hype for a thing I already paid for and don't need to be sold on, I like a Kickstarter that goes quiet and only reminds me it exists when I actually need to do something or it is actually ready to ship. If a KS only updates when there is news, I will read all the updates. If it updates a lot with minimal content, I start skipping the updates and then I might miss when there actually is something important. That's my preference, though, and the "problem" is of my own making, so I wouldn't complain about it and I recognize others have different preferences.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That makes sense. I guess I just don't understand how there can be "no news" for four straight months.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zurui posted:

That makes sense. I guess I just don't understand how there can be "no news" for four straight months.

Yeah, that is a bad sign. Hopefully it works out.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Zurui posted:

:toot:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/in-the-big-book-of-madness-you-will-learn-to-love-losing/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I have really, really enjoyed BBoM every time I've played it. And I am a sucker for the art, it's fantastic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zurui posted:

It very much sits at the intersection of rules light deckbuilders like Eminent Domain and Pandemic.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I guess somebody should mention that Breakfast Cult is out, but who would dare?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That way lies madness... and worse yet detention!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its called New York Bop and yet the Boppers gang wasn't included. :v: Also no Electric Eliminators? Boo.

Also, who are the Satan's Skins supposed to be? The Rogues? The Satan's Mothers? They look very little like the former and if they're meat to be the later, they weren't really a gang that stood out visually IMO. And neither were skinheads, IIRC.

They're the Turnbull ACs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You know what I hate? Pledge managers that want your physical address when you're only pledged for digital goods and not adding extras that would require any payment information.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Zurui posted:

I don't know how someone watches a movie about disenfranchised kids running from gang violence to find a better life and thinks "hey, we should make a game about these guys killing each other!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%27em_up

Fragged Empire looks aces, sad I only had to back at the minimal level for now :/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

finally, people are forced to own a book with my name in it

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
So Prodos have decided, following their long finished AvP campaign, to allow pledgers to help themselves along by funding their own shipping costs. Again.

Prodos Games Ltd posted:

Morning all
In past 2 weeks, we have not been unable to ship KS parcels out. The issue was with the courrier not taking responsibility for lost parcels which we can’t afford to be held responsible for. This has been addressed and parcels are again being shipped. We look forward to seeing comments on the Facebook page and Prodos forums confirming deleveries received over the next 2 weeks.

Shipping Changes!
Please note that there has been a change to our shipping partners due to the issue mentioned above and because of a significant increase in charges by UPS for international parcels.

Parcels to United States will be now handled by USPS instead of UPS
Canada by Canada Post and
Australia is Auspost,
Expediated shipping

We have had several emails from backers offering to cover additional shipping costs to speed up the shipping of miniatures. We really didn’t want to have this as an option however we are aware that some of you are still waiting for your KS wave 2. Therefore we have considered and are tabling the following OPTION. Note that this is not a requirement and we here at Prodos didn’t want to take this option as we understand that you have already been charged for shipping during KS campaign.
So here’s the detail: If you make a purchase from shop.prodosgames.com we will ensure that your remaining items from the AVP Kickstarter WHICH HAVE BEEN APPROVED, up to and including the Female predator, Dutch and Linn, will be in the post to you within a week (depending on demand).

Just so there’s no confusion, if you purchase a miniature from the online store, we will ensure that your KS items, up to and including the models mentioned above, along with the purchased model(s) will be in the post within 5 working days. If you purchase a pre-order item, your approved KS items will be sent initially with the pre-ordered item following once released.
The minimum purchase(including shipping) to cover your expediated shipping is as follow:

1. Europe – 10 GBP
2. USA – 15 GBP
3. Rest of the world – 20 GBP

For all our KS Backers be sure to use AVPKS code on check out. This will give you an additional 5% on checkout. Also can I ask that you please provide the same email address on the checkout screen that you used for Kickstarter / Pledge manager. If you have moved address, please include the new address but the old KS email address as this is how you can be located on our systems. Again I want to say that this is NOT mandatory however it will allow us to ship faster! Finally can I assure you that ALL Backers will receive their KS rewards, however it may take a bit longer due to current issues.i.e a 35% hike in the cost of shipping.

At first I was angry, but I suppose really I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

You know what I hate? Pledge managers that want your physical address when you're only pledged for digital goods and not adding extras that would require any payment information.

They're not going to rewrite a pledge manager app for a small group of people.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

berzerkmonkey posted:

They're not going to rewrite a pledge manager app for a small group of people.

*Puts on coffee*
Janet, clear my afternoon. I have to rewrite this app

*Goes to whiteboard*

code:
IF PURCHASE LEVEL = PHYSICAL
ASK FOR LOCATION 
But...how?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

*Puts on coffee*

*Goes to whiteboard*

code:
ASK FOR LOCATION 
But...how?

:golfclap:

gently caress lazy programmers

And exploitive buisness people who tell programmers to be lazy so they have one more piece of data to sell third party advertisers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Helical Nightmares posted:

:golfclap:

gently caress lazy programmers

And exploitive buisness people who tell programmers to be lazy so they have one more piece of data to sell third party advertisers.

This.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

*Puts on coffee*

*Goes to whiteboard*

code:
ASK FOR LOCATION 
But...how?

Smartass. But KS isn't set up by physical and/or digital. Then you'd have the problem of creators putting the products in the wrong tier. And the average person still refers to their PC as a "hard drive." I doubt this was a case of lazy programming, it was a case of "program for the dumbest user."

Also, it's really not that difficult to put your address into a form. If you're really that lazy, just use autofill.

Got my CoC 7th edition books Saturday without damage, as some people have been reporting. That is a heavy-rear end box.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 10, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

berzerkmonkey posted:

Smartass. But KS isn't set up by physical and/or digital. Then you'd have the problem of creators putting the products in the wrong tier. And the average person still refers to their PC as a "hard drive." I doubt this was a case of lazy programming, it was a case of "program for the dumbest user."

Also, it's really not that difficult to put your address into a form. If you're really that lazy, just use autofill.

Got my CoC 7th edition books Saturday without damage, as some people have been reporting. That is a heavy-rear end box.

Not talking about KS itself, talking about third party pledge managers, which certainly could be set up for that sort of thing since by then the project is over and hopefully the people who did the KS know exactly what their product entails.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Not talking about KS itself, talking about third party pledge managers, which certainly could be set up for that sort of thing since by then the project is over and hopefully the people who did the KS know exactly what their product entails.

Yeah, but I'm 99% sure that they just import a data dump, and if that dump doesn't contain a parameter called "digital_only" or something like that, you can't really make a change like Golden Bee is talking about. What would have to happen is that KS sets up a division of the pledge types, and they get exported as different fields. Like I said though, you're going to get 25% of your KS runners putting their rewards into the wrong fields, and 25% of your customers are going to be furious because they haven't received their My Little Pony Bondage Set yet. I fully agree that having that split would make life easier for the backer, but it would likely be a nightmare for KS and the project creators.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Some of you may remember DnD for Dads by James Stowe from back in 2011

The kid friendly RPG character sheets which eventually bloomed into a web comic and simplified RPG called Sidekick Quests.

Well, it's up on Kickstarter to get a print version of the first story line of the comic and the book will double as an adventure module.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/778640200/sidekick-quests-secret-of-the-sewer-wizard

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Snow posted:

Some of you may remember DnD for Dads by James Stowe from back in 2011

The kid friendly RPG character sheets which eventually bloomed into a web comic and simplified RPG called Sidekick Quests.

Well, it's up on Kickstarter to get a print version of the first story line of the comic and the book will double as an adventure module.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/778640200/sidekick-quests-secret-of-the-sewer-wizard

I am not bashing this cute looking project at all (as an adult, I would probably play this,) but those look like some legitimate Age of Sigmar rules.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 10, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

It's a game for 6 year olds and up. Also that's just 4e D&D power formatting. Fluff for the power at top, then the breakdown beneath it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Snow posted:

It's a game for 6 year olds and up. Also that's just 4e D&D power formatting. Fluff for the power at top, then the breakdown beneath it.

I was referring to the "You win if you have a longer mustache" or "Gallop around the table on a pretend horse" type rules. For a kid, they are spot on; for AoS, the rules were geared to adults. Again, I've got nothing against this Sidekick Quests game at all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was referring to the "You win if you have a longer mustache" or "Gallop around the table on a pretend horse" type rules. For a kid, they are spot on; for AoS, the rules were geared to adults. Again, I've got nothing against this Sidekick Quests game at all.

Again, you misreading the powers. The rules -- the details of what actually determines game effects -- are standard 4e. Galloping has no game impact on this game, unlike Age of Sigmar.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Whoever wrote the encounter and daily power on that bard doesn't fully understand 4e, though. There's no reason to have an attack roll if nothing happens on a hit or miss; the effect entry happens regardless so there's no point to rolling. Unless they added something to the rules that gives you something extra for hitting beyond what's in the power?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sefer posted:

Whoever wrote the encounter and daily power on that bard doesn't fully understand 4e, though. There's no reason to have an attack roll if nothing happens on a hit or miss; the effect entry happens regardless so there's no point to rolling. Unless they added something to the rules that gives you something extra for hitting beyond what's in the power?
I think the intention is that the Effect, here, only works if you Hit.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I think it's for clarity's sake because kids, but before anyone thinks that all this discussion reflects whatever his game currently looks like, I took a random image from what he did in 2011 just to remind people what his stuff looked like. I couldn't actually download anything from his game because he's mucking with his website.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It is definitely for clarity's sake because kids.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Warriors of Zurn

quote:

Zurn differs from other roleplay games in three ways. First, the game is intentionally designed with modular game elements: if the game master has past experience working with a different roleplay system and wants to port over rules that they liked from that game system, they can easily do that (Zurn itself has composite elements from D&D, Pathfinder, the now-defunct Star Wars D6 Core by West End Games, the Mistborn RPG, the Fate Core System, and other games, so adding something from another game system is not new to Zurn). This makes gameplay easily adaptable to the preferences of a gaming group.

Second, Zurn is modular in its dice requirements. Currently we are raising funds for the D6 Core System, primarily because most people own a game like Monopoly, Risk, or another board game that has six-sided dice in them, so there is no additional cost to purchase dice to start playing. In the future we hope to release the D20 Core System (revolving around a 20-sided dice for each player), a Fate Core System (using four D6 dice for all rolls), and an Ultimate Core System (involving D4s, D6s, D8s, D10s, D12s, and D20s). The rules are flexible enough in Zurn that we can easily accommodate a variety of preferred play styles in regards to dice selection, and we hope to release those as we go forward to accommodate the desires of the gaming community.

Finally, Zurn is a fantasy world built more for storycraft than dice mechanics. Zurn firmly asserts that the most important part of roleplay is that players take action, and those actions have consequences. This makes gameplay more meaningful, as it gives us a reason to pursue one path over and against another - and oftentimes the harder path, creating a better story.

Life cannot be lived in a moral vacuum, and the world itself is structured around this idea of ethics, adding an additional layer of flesh and color to our adventures in it. There is still room to be Chaotic Evil, Neutral Good, etc, but it raises the stakes on traditional character types, adding more flavor to the game by encouraging the game master through in-game mechanics to push the players to the logical conclusions of their decisions.
I suppose it's the first heartbreaker to admit it actually knows games that aren't D&D, so I guess that's something?

e: "A Fate Core system using four d6's". Oy. :eng99:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 10, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Two people paid $300 each to add a sketch to their pledge, so they're doing good there. And nine people will pay $100 for the core book.

The lack of ANY artwork brings it lower on my faith skill than The Demon Rush.

Maybe Fate Core d6 means 1-2 minus, 4-5 nothing, 5-6 plus?

But who am I to doubt the great Aaron Kamakawiwoole?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not only no art, but no setting description and no explanation of mechanics apart from "we will use dice".

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anachrony is up and funded. It's a worker placement game where the main quirk is that a meteor will ruin the world at some point in the game, which changes the state of the shared board. But on a thematic level, the meteor also shits out a bunch of special resources that enable time travel, so you get to essentially take loans from your future self, and you have to close the loop before the end of the game or else you lose points.

It's designed by some of the same people as last year's Trickerion, which aside from novel and fun theme, is a really solid worker placement game. It doesn't really set the world on fire, and I don't really expect Anachrony to either, but they do a good job adding theme to their games, along with a good amount of variability in setup so that games don't get too samey.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

berzerkmonkey posted:

They aren't telling the player to do that. They're flavor text for what the ability represents. If I want to launch a fireball for my attack, I don't need to pull out a can of gasoline at the gaming table.

Nothing is even in the same league as Age of Sigmar.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Anachrony is up and funded. It's a worker placement game where the main quirk is that a meteor will ruin the world at some point in the game, which changes the state of the shared board. But on a thematic level, the meteor also shits out a bunch of special resources that enable time travel, so you get to essentially take loans from your future self, and you have to close the loop before the end of the game or else you lose points.

It's designed by some of the same people as last year's Trickerion, which aside from novel and fun theme, is a really solid worker placement game. It doesn't really set the world on fire, and I don't really expect Anachrony to either, but they do a good job adding theme to their games, along with a good amount of variability in setup so that games don't get too samey.
Stop tempting me!

Also, they seem to still be using the same artists that can produce wonderful layouts but really sloppy looking people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I recall Sidekick Quests started out as the guy running 4e for his kids with simplified pregenerated characters just so they could understand it more easily. I didn't know it had spun off into a game of its own. Will definitely check it out once the store is up and running, because you can get the Quick Start rules for a measly $0.99.

Not sure if I'm going to back the Kickstarter myself, but will definitely signal boost.

• Locked thread