Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

World Famous W posted:

Augh, why am I being so bad this tournament. Just wasted another easy victory character.

I think I am going to have to take a day or two break till I get my head back in the game.
I know this feeling right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChTqYlDjtI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

jerkstoresup posted:

This gets a really high score right? I can keep doing this for days, and would keep going if I didn't have to sleep, go outside, work and stuff. :dukedog:

http://pastebin.com/raw/VVieDr1K

i'll never have a character this good again

Zigs aren't actually good for your score. Winning the game faster is going to net you more points than clearing a zig.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you get tournament points for zigging, but they cap out at "beat a single zig in one of your games", as best i can tell.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Got a second win for the ZeeZeeMeatls and my second online win ever! :toot:

Bog-standard VSBE, had some very very nice drops, nothing really rough anywhere in the game. Nice easy run. I mostly did it because I saw that I held the combo high score for a couple days, and figured, you know, whoever takes that from me should have to at least get a win. Looks like someone else already exceeded me before I ever got there, but you know, whatever it takes to squeeze out a win, hehe.

pre:
1849216 neongrey the Slayer (level 27, 117/117 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Berserker on May 10, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 04:56:08 (56220 turns).

neongrey the Slayer (Vine Stalker Berserker)       Turns: 56220, Time: 04:56:08

Health: 117/117    AC: 27    Str: 19      XL:     27
Magic:  31/31      EV: 34    Int:  4 (5)  God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   6676       SH: 14    Dex: 24      Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis .    D - +9 quick blade (elec)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    i - +5 faerie dragon armour {Dex+2 Clar}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    V - +2 buckler {rF+}
rPois  +          Spirit   +    u - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    X - +2 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth--}
rCorr  +          Reflect  +    Q - +2 pair of gloves of Beogh's Approval {rPois rCorr}
SustAt .          Harm     .    f - +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {DetectMon Stab+ Stlth++}
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    h - +5 amulet of reflection
Stlth  +.........               E - ring "Noypes" {*Drain rF+ rC+ Str+2 Stlth+}
                                T - ring of Shaolin {EV+8}

@: drained, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: fangs 3, berserk 3, blurry vision 2, clumsy 2, deformed body, deterioration
2, dopey 1, frail 3, low mp 2, regeneration 3, screaming 2, weak 2, magic
shield, antimagic bite, no device heal 3, rot immunity, sturdy frame 1
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 10, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Are mutations weighted toward affecting ones you've already got? I swear that the last few runs as a Demonspawn the mutation potions have given me boosts in the innate mutations, which is so boring?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just finished reading the goldmined Crawl diary on here. :stare:

Wow, that was pretty amazing and I hope the OP gets the therapy he needs. :ohdear:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno when the 'convert or die' mechanic got added in but it inspired me to give a beogh worshiper a serious try and now that i've actually gotten far enough for rune acquisition to be within sights i gotta ask on the off chance i'm wrong: bringing my worshiper pals to shoals would be an awful idea wouldn't it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Probably. It would, at least, be very annoying

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i dunno when the 'convert or die' mechanic got added in but it inspired me to give a beogh worshiper a serious try and now that i've actually gotten far enough for rune acquisition to be within sights i gotta ask on the off chance i'm wrong: bringing my worshiper pals to shoals would be an awful idea wouldn't it

Shoals is probably the nicest Lair branch you could bring your orcs to, in my opinion. That doesn't mean it's a good idea, but it isn't terrible.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015
Tournament progress update: The first game I played in the tourney was a Nemelex Choice, which I won. Of the chars that PleasingFungus played that made it to XL10, he splatted 4 in a row before eking out a win. After killing a Halfling that made it to XL17 (his second death in a row of an XL16+ character), he came to the dev channel to try to start a discussion about removing Halflings. These are all facts.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

gammafunk posted:

Tournament progress update: The first game I played in the tourney was a Nemelex Choice, which I won. Of the chars that PleasingFungus played that made it to XL10, he splatted 4 in a row before eking out a win. After killing a Halfling that made it to XL17 (his second death in a row of an XL16+ character), he came to the dev channel to try to start a discussion about removing Halflings. These are all facts.

PleasingFungus confirmed for ragequitting entire races from history in DC:SS

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Brother Entropy posted:

Orcs have no resistances and can't get any except by you gifting things to them. They might do poorly in Shoals but they'll be much worse off in Snake (where many will probably die at once to OTR) or Swamp (where many will definitely die to meph breath + deep water.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gammafunk posted:

I wouldn't miss em.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

gammafunk posted:

user BANNED for IMPORTING OFFSITE DRAMA.

also for shameless slander, which - even worse - happens, in this case, to be factual

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Don't worry, I put you to rest in the ice cave where ye perished PF

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Don't worry, I put you to rest in the ice cave where ye perished PF

devs shouldn't be allowed to die, imo. it's very unfair.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

devs shouldn't be allowed to die, imo. it's very unfair.

I thought you guys had wizmode access on servers, though?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dick move Crawl.

If you find a wand of heal wounds, but it's empty, the game will not flag it for auto-pickup.

On a total fluke, I did a search for 'Heal Wounds' on the game, and it showed that wand, sitting there, never picked up. It's an extremely small QoL change, but I think making tele/HW/Haste autopickup, even when empty, is a good idea.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I agree, but not tele, which I don't think has been important since item destruction was removed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can use it while silenced. THat's pretty significant.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Orcs have no resistances and can't get any except by you gifting things to them. They might do poorly in Shoals but they'll be much worse off in Snake (where many will probably die at once to OTR) or Swamp (where many will definitely die to meph breath + deep water.

i guess it's good my other branch this run is spider then

poo poo, maybe i could try slime solo until i get to the end and mass recall them all for the boss

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
By the way, anyone have an rcfile setting that makes it so unID'd wands and jewelry are on autopickup by default, but ID'd wands and jewelry are not set to be picked up? I never ever want to automatically grab a second ring of flame or whatever

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

And when you have blurry vision. It's also nice to be able to recharge them. They're good wands.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I got a 15 runer already this tournament, but somehow this one still feels more impressive. I don't think I've ever had such a tabby character before. I was just dumping xp into all sorts of skills to get that <20 banner, and I really didn't even notice it.

http://pastebin.com/0Rzpny7U

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice win

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I think playing a necromancer that uses inner flame on their own zombies is the most fun thing.

gammafunk
Dec 19, 2015

Floodkiller posted:

I thought you guys had wizmode access on servers, though?

Going into wizmode counts as a loss that happens the turn you go into wizmode.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There, I didn't die to your spider ending with the dozen scarab beetles f u

Zombie death scarabs probably beat regular ones hands down, like harpies and bats I guess

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 10, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, wanding Tele gets around blurry vision as well.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's like 2 uniques in the whole game that use silence, plus silent spectres which are easy and only show up in like what. pan, abyss and crypt? I think I can count the number of times I've sincerely been threatened by silence(that weren't because of me myself using SIlence) on one hand, and minus one scary Mennas encounter they were all in extended which I barely do anymore. Mennas in particular I think is the only relevant threat, but lately now with all the awesome evocables in the game whenever I get to the point where he shows up I'm gonna have ~15 evo and at least one of box of beasts, sack of spiders, rechargeable elemental evoc, rod of shadows etc., and just kinda by the way that Crawl works lone melee targets get beaten pretty hard whenever you gang up on them with decent allies. Silent Spectres I don't think I've ever been threatened by outside of a Zig, and the 1 extra turns blurry vision takes doesn't matter much for popping tele unless you super hosed up(and even having 1 tier of blurry vision is already a very specific circumstance which doesn't happen that often, I'm not gonna plan around what works well with multiple tiers).

So if I pick up a wand just because against 1 specific unique, it will let me get away, when I think that said unique already gets beaten out without too much trouble by a decent build if you get items which you probably will by that point of the game... that's not really anywhere near the broad, incredibly useful utility that a wand of Heal Wounds or Haste gives me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also Ereshkigal and while Silent Spectres themselves are easy they can be blocked off by walls while more dangerous silence-immune demons fight you. Having a wand also allows you to use scrolls/the spell silence without worrying that you have no escape, which is great for handling greater mummies.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Wands of teleport are useful. One slot for more teleport isn't a huge deal, and it's a pretty easy drop if your inventory gets really crowded. I wouldn't want them on autopickup and I'd almost never waste a recharge scroll on them, but they have decent utility.

Silent Spectres only appear in abyss (super rare) and Tartarus.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I had seven wands of teleport spawn in that last win. :psyduck:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

IronicDongz posted:

By the way, anyone have an rcfile setting that makes it so unID'd wands and jewelry are on autopickup by default, but ID'd wands and jewelry are not set to be picked up? I never ever want to automatically grab a second ring of flame or whatever

I haven't actually tested this but i think you can do
autopickup_exceptions += <\{unidentified\}.*(wand|ring|amulet)
autopickup_exceptions += >\{identified\}.*(wand|ring|amulet)

those are among the auto-annotations, right?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SirSamVimes posted:

There's also Ereshkigal and while Silent Spectres themselves are easy they can be blocked off by walls while more dangerous silence-immune demons fight you. Having a wand also allows you to use scrolls/the spell silence without worrying that you have no escape, which is great for handling greater mummies.
Ereshkigal was the second unique I was thinking of.

e:

:getin:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 11, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

There, I didn't die to your spider ending with the dozen scarab beetles f u

Zombie death scarabs probably beat regular ones hands down, like harpies and bats I guess

How did the death scarabs become zombies? Unless you raised them yourself, I guess.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I've been complaining about a problem for months and nobody's paid any attention to me, so I'm going to use a visual aid to help explain what I'm talking about so hopefully it can get fixed.

So in the past when I would use X > to autotravel to a lower staircase it would choose the closest staircase by how many steps it takes to walk to it. In the case of the image I posted, it would choose the stairs to my right, being the closest stairs on foot. Lately it's been choosing the closest stairs regardless of whether or not there are walls in the way. In the example it would be the stairs southwest of me.

Now this isn't all that big of a deal to me as I just need to hit the > again to select the better stairs, and I'm not losing much satiation if I forget to do that, and it's honestly not that common for a level to be laid out in a way that makes this come up, but if I were a speedrunner I'd be annoyed if I were to lose points because a system stopped paying attention to walls. I mostly just want it fixed because it worked better in the past and it'd be a shame for it to get worse and remain that way.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Man, the Wrath of Trog spawned in V:5 *again*. RNG is getting a bit silly, I can't even wield it!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Man, +9 antimagic executioner's axe shits on everything from orbs of fire to ancient liches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a thing I haven't had to think of for awhile.

How do I restore stats? In the back of my head, Restore Abilities potions are always a thing I have a lot of at this stage in the game, until I realized they aren't there any more.

So uh...how do I fix this?

Oddly relevant to our previous conversation: You can't read TP when you are brainless, but you can zap a wand!

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 11, 2016

• Locked thread