Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well next week we're getting his Evil Face so that'll probably set the bar for Iida shinanigins.
It's still one of my favorite moments in the manga, and the VA seems to be getting into it in the next episode preview, so it should be pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Serious Frolicking posted:

The manga said that was the first quirk. Why not just go with that explanation?

It says that it started with the glowing baby, while talking about how society changed. It doesn't say that the glowing baby was the first quirk. While it is very unlikely to make a difference, it allows for pre-glowing baby super humans. For instance a Vandal Savage dude could pop up or other transitive quirks like All for One and One for All to have impact beyond a couple passes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

It says that it started with the glowing baby, while talking about how society changed. It doesn't say that the glowing baby was the first quirk. While it is very unlikely to make a difference, it allows for pre-glowing baby super humans. For instance a Vandal Savage dude could pop up or other transitive quirks like All for One and One for All to have impact beyond a couple passes.

Quirks are said to usually manifest during childhood, rather than right after birth. Add in that some quirks might not be obvious at first and it's very likely that baby wasn't the very first person born with a quirk, and that someone else was born with one that manifested later or had a more subtle one that nobody noticed at first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

I am having trouble processing how dumb that is.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
This was a random thought during the newest episode of the anime, but I think if Bakugou does turn coat it may be because he finds out that Deku inherited his power from All Might.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

JD posted:

This was a random thought during the newest episode of the anime, but I think if Bakugou does turn coat it may be because he finds out that Deku inherited his power from All Might.

Response in spoilers, because ... spoilers

Nope. His rage is unending, but it is directed as much at villains as it is at Deku and everyone else.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bakugou really really doesn't like villains, for some reason, that hasn't actually been expounded upon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Bakugou really really doesn't like villains, for some reason, that hasn't actually been expounded upon.

It might honestly just be something as simple as "Villains are cowards and cheaters. And also always lose". The things he admires in All Might, the fact that he'll fight no matter the odds and that he'll always win no matter who he's facing, are not really things villains are known for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he didn't dislike them before his experience with that slime guy should have been enough to sour him on them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh this isn't the anime thread. Man, I keep getting mixed up.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Doesn't bakugo already know the power isn't deku's?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Say that baby boomers were the first quirk generation (post WWII), then if the current generation is the 5th with quirks, then we're probably one generation into the future.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Doesn't bakugo already know the power isn't deku's?

Deku told him that he got his quirk from All Might, but Bakugo didn't really know or care what he was talking about. There is exactly one quirk which is inheritable and no one knows about it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

Deku told him that he got his quirk from All Might, but Bakugo didn't really know or care what he was talking about. There is exactly one quirk which is inheritable and no one knows about it.

I don't think that's very accurate.

From what the manga has shown, children inherit their parents' quirks to an extent. Ice/Fire guy is the prime example of this. One for All is the only transferable quirk, to be a complete pedant about it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Sarcophallus posted:

Being a complete pedant about it.

Technically, you're right.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Technically, you're right.

Nah, technically most, if not all, quirks are transferable via All for One. Though the Nomus seem to involve medical experimentation in genetic grafting of several people into a single thing. That could just be what happens when quirks are ganked and implanted though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gyges posted:

Nah, technically most, if not all, quirks are transferable via All for One. Though the Nomus seem to involve medical experimentation in genetic grafting of several people into a single thing. That could just be what happens when quirks are ganked and implanted though.

Ah, but he was talking about 'inheritance', not just general 'transferring'. ... If I'm going to be a complete pedant about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The anime gave Aoyama a new quirk: Fourth Wall Awareness.

https://twitter.com/meijins/status/729468321419120641

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aoyama is an underrated gem.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo the quality of the official translation is SO MUCH better. All For One looks loving terrifying. Because you can actually make out his face now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baal posted:

Guns are already an uncommon thing in Japan and combining that with the fact everyone has super powers I'd be p surprised to see a gun too

Eh, it looks like a simple handgun is strong enough to defeat like 99.9% of quirks. Most people don't have quirks that make them tough or fast enough to mitigate/avoid someone shooting at them. And even Tetsutetsu, who has a hardening quirk, was still getting hosed up by that handgun; an automatic weapon would have easily defeated him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wonder if there's a military in this quirky world.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Probably, but it may never come up. Human nature doesn't change, so there are absolutely still wars and such in this setting. All Might's symbol of peace thing really means villain deterrent. I kind of doubt he has much influence globally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh I know, but like, I wonder how a military would work in this one. Squads of like-quirked people? Navy SEALS made up of invisible quirk-users? Jetpack-equipped fire users? Ice-using naval soldiers?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Why use any of that when someone like Yaoyo is capable of single handedly destroying countries. The complete lack of information about countries other than Japan has me wondering how much of the world still even exists.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh I know, but like, I wonder how a military would work in this one. Squads of like-quirked people? Navy SEALS made up of invisible quirk-users? Jetpack-equipped fire users? Ice-using naval soldiers?

Navy SEALS made up of actual seal people.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mikl posted:

Navy SEALS made up of actual seal people.

I'd watch it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

LostRook posted:

Why use any of that when someone like Yaoyo is capable of single handedly destroying countries. The complete lack of information about countries other than Japan has me wondering how much of the world still even exists.

The tournament had a bunch of people from different countries there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Captain Invictus posted:

Every nation has an Avengers Team, though some of them are more X-Men and others are more Defenders. Nobody really fights because nobody knows for sure who has a Hulk or a Squirrel Girl.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Gyges posted:

Every nation has an Avengers Team, though some of them are more X-Men and others are more Defenders. Nobody really fights because nobody knows for sure who has a Hulk or a Squirrel Girl.

Because everybody's scared of Squirrel Girl.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

More Battle For All. Aoyama and Kaminari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GciEQRPwiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eT-0QC3PeA

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mulderman posted:

Holy poo poo the quality of the official translation is SO MUCH better. All For One looks loving terrifying. Because you can actually make out his face now.

It helps that they aren't scans to begin with. To wit:

As an aside Viz's choice of phrasing the line between Shigaraki and AfO as "It's all for you" was spot on.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 10, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OH RIGHT IT'S MONDAY.

poo poo, I gotta get that tomorrow.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Kyte posted:

As an aside Viz's choice of phrasing the line between Shigaraki and AfO as "It's all for you" was spot on.

that's

amazing

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
So I'm wondering if AFO is stuck in the same boat as All Might in regards to having an expiration date. Either he's developing Shigaraki as an heir to his schemes or he's gonna orochimaru the boy.

He seems like a fatherly mentor so far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If he was gonna body snatch he wouldn't be grooming Shigaraki to assume more responsibility. I think that if he could recover and take over again he would gladly do so, but since that doesn't look like it is happening he is trying to raise a successor.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

so, I'm super new to Boku no Hero Academia. The anime hooked me, and I blazed through 89 chapters of the manga in 2 days. What a ride. The only other series I've followed on the reg is One Piece. It's extremely good. Now I have to wait for updates like everyone else. What's the manga schedule like? Does it take breaks often?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Weekly, almost every week

Also: welcome

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Fun Fact that probably is relatively well known by this point but I was reminded of it by you mentioning One Piece:

The Smoker drawing in the upper right is fanart Kohei made back in 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Lamebot posted:

So I'm wondering if AFO is stuck in the same boat as All Might in regards to having an expiration date. Either he's developing Shigaraki as an heir to his schemes or he's gonna orochimaru the boy.

He seems like a fatherly mentor so far.

I kind of hope AfO bites the dust along with All Might this arc, he's just too OP for the kids to deal with and it would make Shigaraki leading the villain alliance much more interesting after the obligatory soul searching.

Either way we're going to get Endeavor in the #1 slot soon and that's going to be a thing.