Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CrashCat posted:

Can we get a source that isn't some rear end in a top hat's tweet

That...that is the source. He's at the Disney earnings meeting right now because he works for Wall Street Journal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stux posted:

no im in the uk playing with US ppl so even with my sick nasty fibre connection i get a 100ms ping. still own all the noobs with extremem prejudice regardless of their latency advantage. on home turf im a god damnd monster.

Stream your play. I want to see this in person. Not that I don't believe you. I like watching game streams is all :)

CrashCat posted:

Can we get a source that isn't some rear end in a top hat's tweet
"Straight from the rear end in a top hat's tweet" should be a new saying.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

My bad, can't imagine how I got the wrong impression

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

If it's true it's kind of extra rueful because they have just finally gotten around to clearing the Infinity 2.0 poo poo out of stores to make sure only the 3.0 poo poo is in there. I guess there's finally something tied into new Star Wars that wasn't a record smashing success.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Here's an official statement about the discontinuation by the by.

Nobody knows what's going to happen to Johnny V. at this time though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Incredible Crisis was a cool game. The actual minigames were pretty poo poo but I can appreciate the weirdness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Here's an official statement about the discontinuation by the by.

Nobody knows what's going to happen to Johnny V. at this time though.

:eyepop: WOW, that's pretty huge.

Man this whole thing is such a huge clusterfuck. Why didn't Disney just keep LucasArts around?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Guy Mann posted:

Incredible Crisis was a cool game. The actual minigames were pretty poo poo but I can appreciate the weirdness.

I liked the ads for this when I was a kid

In retrospect what was a somewhat racist joke about Japanese culture accidentally depicts real Japanese corporate culture.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Zaphod42 posted:

:eyepop: WOW, that's pretty huge.

Man this whole thing is such a huge clusterfuck. Why didn't Disney just keep LucasArts around?

Well, Battlefront apparently sold pretty well actually going by reports that came out today. I don't know how well the retention rate for the game has been over the last few months but it certainly lived up to the "Have Star Wars, Will Sell" mantra they were probably hoping Infinity 3.0 would embrace.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Well, Battlefront apparently sold pretty well actually going by reports that came out today. I don't know how well the retention rate for the game has been over the last few months but it certainly lived up to the "Have Star Wars, Will Sell" mantra they were probably hoping Infinity 3.0 would embrace.

I enjoy Battlefront but that seems entirely tertiary to me. You could still keep LucasArts and do game development on other Disney IPs with the same talent, and you could sell the Star Wars IP to DICE to make Battlefront while you do it. Nothing says that if you keep LucasArts they have to be the ones who do battlefront, what, because of the name? They could just call them DisneyArts from then on or whatever.

But sounds like the answer I was looking for was just "Disney was convinced they could do better" which... boy did that not end up being the case!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Good, maybe I can get all those figurines at fire sale prices now.
The Infinity games are total poo poo but the figurines are pretty good quality, better than those games deserve.

I hope Lego Dimensions is next on the funeral pyre because the prices for that poo poo are even more absurd than Disney Infinity.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 10, 2016

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

raditts posted:

Good, maybe I can get all those figurines at fire sale prices now.
The Infinity games are total poo poo but the figurines are pretty good quality, better than those games deserve.

I wonder if they're going to keep the Infinity servers up long-term considering even the fans of Infinity will tell you the real meat of the game aren't the play sets but the online community made stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

everyone fell in a hole and died

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I wonder if they're going to keep the Infinity servers up long-term considering even the fans of Infinity will tell you the real meat of the game aren't the play sets but the online community made stuff.

With that in mind, you'd think they would have wised up at some point and allowed more compatibility across game versions, rather than making a new release every year that's largely incompatible with the stuff that came before. You'd think that somewhere along the line someone would have realized what an awful idea that was.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't care about Disney Infinity but if Nintendo Amiibos die there will be hell to pay because it means no more Griffin's Amiibo's Corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxVwgiZ3xao

Broseph Brostar posted:

I liked the ads for this when I was a kid

In retrospect what was a somewhat racist joke about Japanese culture accidentally depicts real Japanese corporate culture.

Any game that opens with a ska rendition of Also Sprach Zarathustra isn't all bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_hK5QeYCVM

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

everyone fell in a hole and died

Whoa, what is this? Looks like Warcraft 1 mixed with dwarf fortress.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Like did it just do okay or did it actually exceed projections? Cause if it didn't it's as good as garbage to business

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think Amiibos are the only part of the toys to life market that still has legs, which is odd considering that the most common complaint about them seems to be their lack of in-game utility.

Are Skylanders still as much of a thing as they were a few years ago? The kids at the daycare where my wife worked seemed to be crazy about them back then but I haven't seen or heard much hype for them in a good long while now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maybe now Obsidian will get another shot at a Star Wars rpg game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Stream your play. I want to see this in person. Not that I don't believe you. I like watching game streams is all :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5HynVo3WKg

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

raditts posted:

I think Amiibos are the only part of the toys to life market that still has legs, which is odd considering that the most common complaint about them seems to be their lack of in-game utility.

Are Skylanders still as much of a thing as they were a few years ago? The kids at the daycare where my wife worked seemed to be crazy about them back then but I haven't seen or heard much hype for them in a good long while now.

I haven't been keeping up but I have to imagine that skylanders is a mint.

If anything Infinity probably flopped because Skylanders already owned the market, and who wants to buy figurines for some other figurines game that don't play with the figurines or game you already have?

Amiibos will survive because Nintendo is a loving powerhouse, but Skylanders otherwise have a lockdown on the toys to life market.

And Amiibos aren't really even all that "-to life" compared to skylanders, there's not a ton you can do with each. (Unless you really like smash bros bots I guess) But they're collectible Marios so they'll sell anyhow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CrashCat posted:

Like did it just do okay or did it actually exceed projections? Cause if it didn't it's as good as garbage to business
It was the 4th best selling game of 2015 behind CoD, Madden and Fallout 4.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Whoa, what is this? Looks like Warcraft 1 mixed with dwarf fortress.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/war-along-the-mohawk

it's interesting and overly ambitious, like all the best games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.mobygames.com/game/war-along-the-mohawk

it's interesting and overly ambitious, like all the best games

Oh its an actual retro game, I assumed it was indie or open source or something.

Haha just posting your old mobygames floppy-disk game in the may games thread. But hey power to ya guy, looks like fun.

Looks like basically the revolutionary war in the warcraft 1 engine. (Not really that engine but definitely from that era!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

knowing little about cod multiplayer, that map at an aquarium looks cool..

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i told them to dig hole traps for the french, but then on the way back they fell in them and died. france wins i guess

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They closed down Avalanche Software as well. That's like 300+ jobs right down the drain. Tragic stuff. :smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Palpek posted:

It was the 4th best selling game of 2015 behind CoD, Madden and Fallout 4.
Yeah, but was it projected to be first?

I'm only half kidding

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh its an actual retro game, I assumed it was indie or open source or something.

Haha just posting your old mobygames floppy-disk game in the may games thread. But hey power to ya guy, looks like fun.

Looks like basically the revolutionary war in the warcraft 1 engine. (Not really that engine but definitely from that era!)

you can tell its from early days since the back of the box touts that it's just like a regular turn-based game, but in "real-time"! with the real time in quotes and everything

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

knowing little about cod multiplayer, that map at an aquarium looks cool..

blops 3 ha smany cool and fun maps imo. future cod owns.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

JordanKai posted:

They closed down Avalanche Software as well. That's like 300+ jobs right down the drain. Tragic stuff. :smith:

Working in games kinda blows most of the time unless you're invaluble one way or another, and even that isn't too safe.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RIP poo poo game for garbage people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Motto posted:

Working in games kinda blows most of the time unless you're invaluble one way or another, and even that isn't too safe.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im pretty sure kojima is set for life

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

People probably thought the same thing when Romero went off to make Daikatana.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

JordanKai posted:

Not to be confused with Just Cause and Mad Max developers Avalanche Studios.

Still sucks, but I figured I'd clarify that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

People who get fired laid off from studios also find work, the point is about not being safe.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FanaticalMilk posted:

People probably thought the same thing when Romero went off to make Daikatana.

Man, I remember back last year when Romero was auctioning random retro games he had lying around signed by him on ebay. Sounded like he had some serious debts to pay.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It shocks me that the company that developed Mortal Kombat Mythologies survived for 19 more years only to die with a Disney property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Like this had a chance in hell

• Locked thread