Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There are a couple of gotchas to be aware of, which I've encountered myself:
1) someone repainting panels in single stage when the original paint was clearcoat, so you get a different result depending where you're working.
2) the car having been waxed with something like Turtle Wax Colour Magic, a coloured wax that is sold on the basis of hiding scratches (it sort of does, but I wouldn't recommend it at all over proper detailing). This can cause pads to colour when working what is actually a clearcoat finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't know what you guys are on about. The paint is clearly single stage. It is from the era where the single stage paint was used with plastic panels infused with color. The paint will age in a completely different way than the plastic body parts.

He is on the right track, using a polisher and (hopefully?) Meg's UC on the paint. A lesser polisher will still get the job done, it'll just take more time, product and effort.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Well I'll be - thought single-stage paint was like a 50's/60's and earlier thing. Go on with your polishing self!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

amenenema posted:

Well I'll be - thought single-stage paint was like a 50's/60's and earlier thing. Go on with your polishing self!

Some Japanese cars were wearing single stage paint up until at least '99. Black and red, for sure. I don't know as much about American paint in that time, but single stage was definitely still around.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So this has probably been beat to death, but what's a recommended bang for buck DA polisher?

Also I just got a chip down to metal on my M3. What's a recommended process to deal with this?
http://i.imgur.com/KJzFnx9h.jpg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sadi posted:

So this has probably been beat to death, but what's a recommended bang for buck DA polisher?

Also I just got a chip down to metal on my M3. What's a recommended process to deal with this?
http://i.imgur.com/KJzFnx9h.jpg

Pc7424xp
Dr colorchip

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

ratbert90 posted:

Pc7424xp
Dr colorchip

Yep on the Porter Cable.

I think that chip is big enough to go to a traditional touch-up method. I would apply several layers of factory touch-up to the spot over a couple weeks, letting each layer cure out fully. When it gets close to paint level, you can keep using color or switch to clear. I've had better results sticking with color all the way.

Then, add a couple layers more so that it's just a hair over the paint level and let it sit for a month. By that time, it'll be nicely hard and wet sand, starting at 800 and going up/down from there, whatever it takes to blend, being careful to not hit the clear anywhere around the area.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

meatpimp posted:

Yep on the Porter Cable.

I think that chip is big enough to go to a traditional touch-up method. I would apply several layers of factory touch-up to the spot over a couple weeks, letting each layer cure out fully. When it gets close to paint level, you can keep using color or switch to clear. I've had better results sticking with color all the way.

Then, add a couple layers more so that it's just a hair over the paint level and let it sit for a month. By that time, it'll be nicely hard and wet sand, starting at 800 and going up/down from there, whatever it takes to blend, being careful to not hit the clear anywhere around the area.

Its not exactly factory paint.

The PO never gave me the contact info for the shop that painted it. So Ill probably just get E92 limerock orange and hope for the best.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 30, 2016

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

meatpimp posted:

Some Japanese cars were wearing single stage paint up until at least '99. Black and red, for sure. I don't know as much about American paint in that time, but single stage was definitely still around.

I had a gold 94 Camry that definitely had single stage paint.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sadi posted:

The PO never gave me the contact info for the shop that painted it. So Ill probably just get E92 limerock orange and hope for the best.

Cripes... without a paint code, yeah, you're shooting in the dark. The good thing is that strong colors like that (and the red lit looked like in the first picture) don't show touch-up marks very much, as long as you get the color close.

moxieman posted:

I had a gold 94 Camry that definitely had single stage paint.

Yup, that was about when the blue ford of discussion was made.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a buffer, but no DA polisher. Would it be possible to wash, clay, and seal parts of my truck by hand? No way I could do it all at once by hand, but different panels over a few days is pretty doable.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sadi posted:

Go to a good body shop and have them read the paint with the fancy device and then sell you some perfectly matched paint?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I have a buffer, but no DA polisher. Would it be possible to wash, clay, and seal parts of my truck by hand? No way I could do it all at once by hand, but different panels over a few days is pretty doable.

Sure can! Just make sure to clay any panel again before you seal the paint. Even with light driving.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Protip: Use dentist brushes for small chip touch-up (not the larger spot like Sadi's, that needs a regular brush). Disposable and work well with fine application.

http://www.amazon.com/Grinigh-Appli...dentistry+brush

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just gave my car its first good home wash since moving to LA, also my first time using a no rinse cleaner (Optimum wash and wax no rinse). I am considering it a pre-wash for a more detailed wash next weekend, as I learned a few things along the way, such as:
-Start from the top doesn't just mean roof first, some panels have portions that are higher/lower than others!!!
-Fuzzy mits aren't the thing to use with these, I need many more microfiber towels.
-There are a lot more scratches and pits down to the metal than I thought. They're all from the PO, so they are 100% tiny little dots of rusty metal (like, grain of sand size mostly).

Still, looks better than it did (minus wheels, which I did not wash):

I have questions.
How much difference is there in microfiber towels? I noticed that the ones I was drying with said on the packaging "removes old wax!" and they did feel a bit rough as I was drying (lightly), but that may just be because the existing wax is old and degraded.
How much do I need to worry about those pits/scratches? I can't afford to have the paint repaired, so is there anything I can do to preserve it otherwise?

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 2, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hood polishing round 2: I started too late in the evening to do all of it before dark. Once the hood is done the only remaining areas to work on are the tops of the doors and quarter panels.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looking much better now. Don't forget to finish it off with some polisher (as I suspect the Ultimate Compound is a bit rough?) to get that final shine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can use UC as a polish, you just need a finishing pad to make it shine.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good cordless vac? Like a dust buster kind of thing, I'm gonna grab something from Amazon the next few days.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
So here's a really dumb question:

I bought the Chemical brothers hex pad kit, and it comes with:

Hex-Logic Heavy Cutting Pad (yellow)
Hex-Logic Swirl and Scratch Remover Pad (orange)
Hex-Logic Heavy Polishing Pad (green)
Hex-Logic Perfect Surface Polishing Pad (white)
Hex-Logic Glaze and Light Cleaner Foam Pad (blue)
Hex-Logic Finishing Foam Pad (black)
Hex-Logic Ultra-Fine Finishing Pad (red)

If I am going to use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate wax, which pad goes with what?
I'm thinking compound = yellow/orange, polish = green/white, and to apply wax is black? Am I close or way off here?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Hood polishing round 2: I started too late in the evening to do all of it before dark. Once the hood is done the only remaining areas to work on are the tops of the doors and quarter panels.

Looking good!

TacoHavoc posted:

So here's a really dumb question:

I bought the Chemical brothers hex pad kit, and it comes with:

If I am going to use Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, then Ultimate wax, which pad goes with what?
I'm thinking compound = yellow/orange, polish = green/white, and to apply wax is black? Am I close or way off here?

Denser foam for more cutting action, just as a general rule.

I love the Hex-Logic pads, they are great for product management and control.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do foam pads wear out? They don't seem to work as well after the first few sections even if I wash them. They still remove paint, but the finish doesn't come out looking as good. They also feel a lot softer all the way through than they did out of the package, but I don't know if that affects how well they work.
I've been using these: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-compoundcutting-foam-pad-60311.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Do foam pads wear out? They don't seem to work as well after the first few sections even if I wash them. They still remove paint, but the finish doesn't come out looking as good. They also feel a lot softer all the way through than they did out of the package, but I don't know if that affects how well they work.
I've been using these: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-compoundcutting-foam-pad-60311.html

Yep. Pads are wear items.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Yep. Pads are wear items.

Would a different brand of pad last longer or are they all about the same aside from gimmicks?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Would a different brand of pad last longer or are they all about the same aside from gimmicks?

There's no real answer to that, it all depends on the type of use, speed, pressure, heat, type of compound, type of paint, etc.

I use Chemical Guys Hex pads, they last well and work well.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Harbor Freight pads wear out really quick. That's why they're about 1/2 the price of a name brand. I usually get one application per Harbor Freight vs 5+ from a Chemical Bros or 3M. Also using the correct speed setting helps too (ask me how I know :laffo:)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I ordered one of those kits with the different types of hex pads from amazon. Which pads are supposed to be used for what?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

I ordered one of those kits with the different types of hex pads from amazon. Which pads are supposed to be used for what?

Tacohavoc just posted this breakdown, which I believe to be correct. You also use a more coarse to finer product as you go from cut to polish.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's some kind of aeresolized sap (best phrase I could come up with) all over my car. It looks like I drove through a cloud of it. It wont come off with washing or waxing, but comes off with my fingernail. Should I try claybar or go right into some serious polishing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FogHelmut posted:

There's some kind of aeresolized sap (best phrase I could come up with) all over my car. It looks like I drove through a cloud of it. It wont come off with washing or waxing, but comes off with my fingernail. Should I try claybar or go right into some serious polishing?

Clay. Lots of lube.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

FogHelmut posted:

Definately clay the car. As far as I've learned from spergs on youtube, you should never polish without it being as clean as possible.

I actually dared to try some polishing on our black V70. It had some ugly scuff marks on the lower back bumper so I figured I'd give it a go. I got most of it to go away, but it's hard to buy decent polishing stuff in normal shops, and I think Volvo has really hard paint. I'm going to do the whole car when I can be bothered to find proper polishing material. At least I got a DA machine now.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Went full ultimate compound/ultimate polish/gold class carnauba on the z3 last night. Started with a dawn wash and a full claying. The chemical guys hex pads were awesome. Ended up going yellow/green/black. Their pad wash also seems to be made of magical fairy blood or something because it cleaned the poo poo out of those pads.

I was a little worried because I know that at least some of this car has been repainted but I didn't end up with any color on the pad. Ignore my still-filthy top. Detailing a car that doesn't get driven in winter is almost like cheating.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I finally got my hex pads in after they got lost in the mail for a week. :toot:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Nice car and garage taco.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Brake Dust Pro is something that I don't want to be around for very long. It smells like some pretty nasty poo poo, but it works.

Hmmm, black cars:

I forgot why I hate washing black cars, oh wait
https://fat.gfycat.com/LawfulTinyGreendarnerdragonfly.webm

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

Brake Dust Pro is something that I don't want to be around for very long. It smells like some pretty nasty poo poo, but it works.

Hmmm, black cars:

I forgot why I hate washing black cars, oh wait

PDR. $100 and it's gone. I don't sweat those things anymore.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, I found a rub/gouge on the Zoe's rear bumper (on the side just behind the wheel) where someone in a 4x4 or van (it's quite high up) has caught it in a car park or something.

Much as that's a capital offence, you honestly can't do much when you find this stuff except go "ah well" and weigh up whether to fix it or live with it on the basis it's likely to happen again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

I also scraped the lip earlier in the week. My car with 9k miles on it isn't new any more. :qq:

btw, the picture is of the trunk and the little pock in the middle of the picture is a cloud, not a paint defect

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Phone posted:

I also scraped the lip earlier in the week. My car with 9k miles on it isn't new any more. :qq:

btw, the picture is of the trunk and the little pock in the middle of the picture is a cloud, not a paint defect

You've put twice as many miles on your miata as I've put on mine since I bought it, and I think I've owned mine for twice as long and drove it back from Houston TX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
What speeds for the buffer is everyone using for UC/UP/Wax (845 in my case)?