Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Next alien ruler revealed, the Archon King:
https://xcom.com/news/en-into-the-nest-xcom-2s-archon-king-exposed

Really looking forward/dreading seeing this:

quote:

Icarus Drop, a direct attack that allows the Archon King to fly to a target, lift them straight up into the air then slam them into the ground on the next action
:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do they all move after every soldier action or is that only the viper's thing?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Do they all move after every soldier action or is that only the viper's thing?

They all do. Hopefully some of their abilities have cooldowns :stonk:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's pretty dumb, and encourages just leaving soldiers be that can't immediately damage them on their action. Do status effects check for removal on rounds or do those wear off on enemy actions?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The ruler action after each soldier turn is straight up mega retarded.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mzbundifund posted:

That's pretty dumb, and encourages just leaving soldiers be that can't immediately damage them on their action. Do status effects check for removal on rounds or do those wear off on enemy actions?

Leaving soldier unmoved and ending the turn gives the ruler a lump of moves equivalent to the remaining soldiers' actions, so even that's not really super effective.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Is it like, per action he sees? Or is he just booking it every time you move a dude, go on overwatch, anything.

When you start a new game in the previous games, there are little boxes saying which DLC you want included in the playthrough, so if it sucks I can always turn if off. Looking forward to trying it though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Feels good to see so many people still bad at playing the game and blaming other things for it. Should keep this thread around for a mid-day pick-me-up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ZoninSilver posted:

Ah yes totally sweet that an enemy can queue up a powerful AoE and not give you any time to get your guys to spread out/put up defenses.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

quote:

Foertsch says “it’s an awesome looking ability” and he recommends “seeing it once and then never letting it happen again.”

*sees archon king*

*moves to stop it*

*it does its thing anyway*

I mean, when the alien can take a turn between every action (including movement), you can't really stop it from doing jack poo poo aside from using the "this item is for fighting rulers" item that they are sure to include (I think they mentioned freeze grenades)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

It'd be cool if it was like the Avatar's teleport ability though, where instead of teleporting on reaction it gets to do a thing. That might be too easy to cheese though.

I just hope the new aliens are things where you can bring your vast toolset to bear, like the rest of the game, and not some cheap thing that requires the counter-this-thing item.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Well, since the thing is a grenade and my go-to XCOM 2 tactical tool is the Grenadier I feel like it's going to fit in with my general 'leveled a city block and called it peace' approach. Though I already have EMP grenades/bombs which I've never used because they take up an explosives slot for utility against a particular enemy, so that part is going to be frustrating.

Honestly the more I hear about these 'ruler' aliens the less impressed and more irritated I am with this DLC. I'm willing to believe that Firaxis is capable of working out how to make the system which is being described fun, but I really wish they had gone in a different direction...particularly with the unique reward weapons. Not a huge fan of super-items which you can only give to one dude, in games about fielding a team of dudes, especially a team of dudes who already have 250% the amount of awesome cover destruction and creative murder skills they need in order to steamroll 1-2 pods without any real difficulty.

I believe I have the season pass, though, so I'll give it a try when it arrives.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, I have to say that the entire "Ruler gets an action for each of yours" seems pretty drat unfun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

many johnnys posted:

*sees archon king*

*moves to stop it*

*it does its thing anyway*

I mean, when the alien can take a turn between every action (including movement), you can't really stop it from doing jack poo poo aside from using the "this item is for fighting rulers" item that they are sure to include (I think they mentioned freeze grenades)

Is there a way to see when a ruler is going to be on a given mission? Because if not then it's just a flat tax on your item slots since you have to bring freeze grenades or whatever on all missions just in case or else get hosed.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I hope it is fun and balanced, and brings new skills and approaches to bear that aren't Bring The Ruler Counter Item. They have a pretty good track record so I'm sure it'll be better in practice than it sounds in their updates. :)

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to see when a ruler is going to be on a given mission? Because if not then it's just a flat tax on your item slots since you have to bring freeze grenades or whatever on all missions just in case or else get hosed.

iunno it's not out yet

probably shadow chamber though, after encountering it once. Like the rest. We'll see.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah jesus christ the loving thing isn't even out yet and already a bunch of nerdlingers are saying OH GOD IT'S SO UNBALANCED IT IS THE WORST PLEASE GOD KILL ME NOW AND SAVE ME FROM SOLOMANS RUINING THE MAGNUM OPUS

how about you regard it with careful suspicion and maybe not pay money for it until real opinions are out

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your hyperbole doesn't really represent the discussion and isn't helping. Sure wait for it, but based on what we know it doesn't sound good. People are naturally concerned because this is a very good game they like alot. They aren't adverse to change as shown by the Mods available. Hassling everybody about it isn't a great look for you.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Guys, we don't even KNOW what freeze grenades that you can make for yourself , and Jake has heavily hinted that bringing those is a "good idea". Maybe see what those are like before going all doom and gloom?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm positive we wouldn't be facing these assholes without some tricks up our own sleeves to help lock them down. This is the game that gives us guns that have a random chance to kill everything in one lucky hit, even Sectopods.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
There is someone on this earth whose first encounter with a ruler will be
Some Guy takes a reaction shot
! Executed

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I really hope some of those abilities shutdown when the thing is burning or poisoned.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

DMX - X COM Give It To 'Ya

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

many johnnys posted:

DMX - X COM Give It To 'Ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJ7eCiWY7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpU8w27YB3c

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

nice

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Your hyperbole doesn't really represent the discussion and isn't helping.
yes it does and no it isn't, because there isn't 'helping' a 'discussion' like this, it is wild baseless speculation and you can either feed into that or parody it for what it is, wild baseless speculation.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

yes it does and no it isn't, because there isn't 'helping' a 'discussion' like this, it is wild baseless speculation and you can either feed into that or parody it for what it is, wild baseless speculation.

Maybe the best thing for you was to say nothing at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Maybe the best thing for you was to say nothing at all.

that was your best move.

man we need more of these now that the game is out and we have more stuff to put in there

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

that was your best move.
I feel sad for you if that was your best.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

ZoninSilver posted:

I cannot wait to get Mike Haggar'd by aliens. I only wish my rangers could learn how to suplex.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speedball posted:

I'm positive we wouldn't be facing these assholes without some tricks up our own sleeves to help lock them down. This is the game that gives us guns that have a random chance to kill everything in one lucky hit, even Sectopods.

It'd be pretty funny if the repeaters still work on the rulers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Coolguye posted:

I think you are right and the other guy is dumb and wrong for crying about a DLC that hasn't been released yet.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lockback posted:

I think you are right and the other guy is dumb and wrong for crying about a DLC that hasn't been released yet.

Coolguye cries about DLC in the Payday 2 thread, so yeah, he is pretty dumb by your standard.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

oohhboy posted:

Coolguye cries about DLC in the Payday 2 thread, so yeah, he is pretty dumb by your standard.

So? Everybody on the planet is a full on mouth breathing retard from time to time. Being stupid elsewhere doesn't invalidate you pointing out that something is dumb.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is what I really think about the DLC. Given how Jake has designed the game so far I believe he is going to give the Rulers a couple of soft counters, things you can do, but nothing you should do outside of doing nothing because that would be terrible. The elemental grenades are likely to be counters as they naturally lock down abilities outside of some exceptions. Maybe the Rulers have a low retreat threshold. Or it gets it some of it's more powerful abilities locked out when it takes damage. Maybe it can't take cover or something a little but more out there like it will always take a hit and crit from a concealed shot. Maybe trying to skin it does extra damage. Or it's AOE attacks will have the same limitation to the AI like other AOEs.

We don't know the counters because Jake wants us to find out. Some of the Rulers abilities though are a little out there and I hope he doesn't gently caress it up.

FoolyCharged posted:

So? Everybody on the planet is a full on mouth breathing retard from time to time. Being stupid elsewhere doesn't invalidate you pointing out that something is dumb.
I was pointing out he was being a hypocrite. He does the exact same thing in that thread as he is mocking here. People naturally get a little anxious, I guess I will mock them for having feelings. Gee what a stand up guy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

haha are you seriously resorting to outright lying because you got called out

you are loving adorable

FoolyCharged posted:

i actually barely post in the PD2 thread and have not said a drat thing about DLC in there for at least 6 months

pretty sure i've said way more about other players than i ever have about DLC, actually, which is consistent with this thread

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 10, 2016

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

oohhboy posted:

Your hyperbole

hyperbole it wasn't

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

haha are you seriously resorting to outright lying because you got called out

you are loving adorable

i actually barely post in the PD2 thread and have not said a drat thing about DLC in there for at least 6 months

pretty sure i've said way more about other players than i ever have about DLC, actually, which is consistent with this thread

This reminds me of a time where someone seriously swore up and down they never got angry, ever. Unless you're a robot, you will get anxious about some petty thing at some point. It most certainly doesn't fall into two "Feed it" or "Mock it". I would discount mocking immediately as it isn't funny and more edgy thing. If you're going to do it, actually be funny and like a good rule of comedy, punch up not down or mock yourself.

I mean look at this, we are arguing about you being petty about thing that is petty while I am being petty while you're being petty we argue about something petty. That's a drat sad oubrouos. If you want to end this blackhole of dumbness and never speak of it again I am all for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sooooo... game change or get patched much in the last couple months? Never did actually beat it, or even get past the midgame, really, and with Overwatch done and dusted for a couple weeks I'm badly hard up for something to do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

New DLC hitting in a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
You can try mah mod too if you want to fight waves and waves of enemies without the strategy bit.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679975280

Edit: hoping it doesn't get murdered by the DLC patch.