Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

and did not pay attention to the command line label.

Rookie mistake. You always triple check the command prompt before hitting return on a destructive command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Rookie mistake. You always triple check the command prompt before hitting return on a destructive command.

Then hit ctrl-c, uname -a, then go ahead and run that command.

Then panic as you realize you still managed to gently caress it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I panic when I don't gently caress it up.

"Wait everything went according to plan and the task is done? How the gently caress did that happen?"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

xzzy posted:

"Wait everything went according to plan and the task is done? How the gently caress did that happen?"

This carries a heavy dose of truth.

It was also my exact reaction last time I had to use adsiedit.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Use ANSI colors in the prompt, like a red [PROD], its location and hostname in another color. We do something like that and it saved my rear end a few times.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Well in my specific example, we have two servers, 1 is live production doing lots of traffic etc, the other is being built for live production and to do lots of traffic, so fundamentally they look identical because the 2nd is being built to be as important as the 1st, it's just not live yet. So it wasn't really a "we need a prod background" kind of situation. It was prod, just not that backbreaking important live part of prod.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

Server I've been putting off migrating some services off of because I'm waiting for parts and to build its replacement just died today. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

At least its being backed up, right? Oh, what's that, you turned off backups a couple of months ago because we were going to build a replacement? gently caress gently caress gently caress

:cry:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:gonk:

Edit for content: I swear I am going to kill the next person who reports a link as running slowly without making even a slight effort to quantify that claim with a throughput figure.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 10, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It was even worse. I think he used putty to connect to the DR server and ssh'ed to the main, so he didn't type exit and did not pay attention to the command line label.

This is definitely what molly-guard is for. It requires you to type the hostname of the server when performing a shutdown/reboot from a remote terminal (and can be configured to require it from the local console as well).

It's in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories. If you're a RHEL/CentOS type apparently RPM doesn't like the way it hijacks those commands, so it's not in the official repos and requires some hacks to make it survive updates: http://unix.bris.ac.uk/2015/09/17/molly-guard-for-rhelcentos-protect-your-hosts-from-accidental-reboots/

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DigitalMocking posted:

gently caress

gently caress

gently caress

Server I've been putting off migrating some services off of because I'm waiting for parts and to build its replacement just died today. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

At least its being backed up, right? Oh, what's that, you turned off backups a couple of months ago because we were going to build a replacement? gently caress gently caress gently caress

:cry:

Why would anyone turn off backups because someone said they are going to spec a new server but hadn't yet?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

No, it's therapy.

My favorite is when a co-worker (that everyone despised) left for a high paying job downtown and it got back to us about a month later he'd been fired for not doing what he claimed he could do. That's a bad thing to have happen around Chicago, the tech community is fairly small and everyone knows someone at all the other big players. You botch a position like that and you might as well go find a new city to live in.

Lol. Same region and saw (more or less) the same thing happen.

Co-worker was absolutely convinced he had skills he didn't. Talked a big game, but was at best a semi-talented dilettante. Well, he got passed over for a position and duties he felt he should get despite the person who got it having demonstrable skills and experience.

So he leaves. To another company for basically the same kind of position he was unqualified for at out place.

Two weeks later one of our guys got contacted by a recruiter looking to fill a "newly opened position"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pissing me off: Samsung Magician.

This is my personal machine, but I tried to open Magician to enable RAPID. It gave an error opening, so I decided to uninstall it through add/remove. It didn't remove all of it. I try installing the new version anyway, but it fails at deleting an old file. I try manually deleting the entire file, it says that Samsung Magician is still open. I look in the task manager, nothing. I'm at the point where I'm ready to delete registry keys, but I don't know which ones to hit. This is McAffee levels of acting like malware.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is my personal machine, but I tried to open Magician to enable RAPID. It gave an error opening, so I decided to uninstall it through add/remove. It didn't remove all of it. I try installing the new version anyway, but it fails at deleting an old file. I try manually deleting the entire file, it says that Samsung Magician is still open. I look in the task manager, nothing. I'm at the point where I'm ready to delete registry keys, but I don't know which ones to hit. This is McAffee levels of acting like malware.

Hopefully you did, but did you reboot post-uninstall and then try to install again?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Account Managers.

All my conversations for the past week have been some summarization of "Tab8715 please save the client! I need you fly across the Country and save Contoso Corp. everything is on fire! :supaburn:"

My follow-up inquiry has always been trying to dig deeper to - you know - what is the actual problem - only to be get a deer in the headlights response.

Anyone ever switch from technical to account management? It sounds like it'd be awfully easy...

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Account Managers.

All my conversations for the past week have been some summarization of "Tab8715 please save the client! I need you fly across the Country and save Contoso Corp. everything is on fire! :supaburn:"

My follow-up inquiry has always been trying to dig deeper to - you know - what is the actual problem - only to be get a deer in the headlights response.

Anyone ever switch from technical to account management? It sounds like it'd be awfully easy...

I left for non-technical management and I wish I hadn't. And, if you are a useful account manager, you will get screwed by everyone. Clients will willfully misunderstand you and attempt to destroy your name and your bosses will hold you accountable for not having the clients blow rainbow smoke up their asses.

I always feel sorry for Account Managers that aren't sleezeballs.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Opened a priority one defect with server admin group: server admins are unable to log into a server even though normal users are able to log in and use service. This came about when I asked the server admins to troubleshoot a server config issue. I look forward to the results.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xzzy posted:

"When you commit a crime you make 20 mistakes. If you can spot 10 of them then you are a genius."

This is true of things that are not crimes.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Heyyy my old ranting ground

Approximate timeline

2013: Put decent amount of work into a proposed revamp of company website, which consists of 50% of my job title. Marketing manager decides she wants to outsource the websites because in her opinion I'm "too slow" and "not a professional". I flip out, have a shitfit on here, and do gently caress all for the next $long_time while worrying whether they'll just ignore 50% of my job title, drop me down to part time, fire me, or what. Meanwhile, I wait to see what this glorious externally developed site will be like that I was told could be done in less than a month, much faster than my slow rear end.
2013-2015: Absolutely gently caress all happens, but I work on some ideas in my spare time with a view to trying to claim it back, because I've not heard about this "one month development" in getting on for 2 years.
Early 2015: I present a proposed new site based on responsive design, HTML5, yada yada. Given that they revealed they can no longer afford this external agency anyway and it kind of fell by the wayside, I get the reins back, managed and supported by the MD. Marketing also supports it and we kiss and make up.
Late 2015: HR (out of touch as she is despite being the MD's Mrs) raises a giant shitstorm demanding to know why the website's not been touched for 2-3 years. I politely point out that it's quite a well timed question as I have a new site that is about ready to go and that it's nice for someone to be showing an interest again. The whole thing gets a swift kick up the backside, meetings happen, things look good.
Late 2015 - Early 2016: People lose interest again but regardless I spend a lot of time lovingly crafting a theme more in line with current company branding, rebuilding the site piece by piece in a new CMS, re-coding blocks to be just so, getting the content right, occasionally waiting for input and not getting any, generally finishing off as best I can under my own initiative and with a chronic lack of support. Around late Feb, the MD raises a huge shitstorm asking why it's not launched yet, that it's the most vital element to the business and basically what the gently caress am I doing, copies it to the team, HR and my line manager. I politely point out that it's actually resembling "ready" but I'm running a little blind due to a chronic lack of decisive direction from the management (i.e. right back at you sir). He gets very interested in helping out all of a sudden, we make great progress, site becomes 99% ready apart from 1 section they wanted to rewrite and send me a storyboard for, and....
Early 2016 - Present: Absolutely gently caress all happens. I chase and chase and chase week after week (being sure to copy in HR and my line manager to cover my arse) and just get told "oh I'm too busy". After the huge shitstorm he raised too, a complete and total apathy.
Today: "I don't have time any more, I'm going to delegate the reins back to the marketing manager"

ARRRRGFRERHHEJSFDSJJSJBKFJGKFLWWWWWKFDFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

tl;dr - seagull management. swoop in, make a big noise, poo poo on everyone, and fly off. Also, feeling like wasting 3 years.

Vent over.

Edit: HOLY poo poo PLOT TWIST!! As I was venting this very post I got complete agreement from said marketing manager and that she's happy to launch whenever.
Rollercoaster company, always was.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

well at least your job isn't boring :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

In those situations I feel like all you can do is just post what you've got and when people complain you take it under advisement

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Pretty much launching now. Just stretching my fingers while I wait for a search to complete...
I ain't even mad. This actually seems like a good decision for Mr. Indecisive to kick it back down the chain. I used to be a bit harsh about said marketing manager, but (*touch wood*) she is pretty decent nowadays. Fair play, I retract much of my rant.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Check in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager for a key called PendingFileRenameOperations - if it's there, delete it, reboot and try again. I've had some software installs fail to remove that key on reboot after uninstalling and most installers won't continue if it still exists (basically makes Windows think that the software hasn't been completely removed).

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Support rep: "Yeah never rely on our KB articles. They're always out of date. Call support."

Support greeting: "For the most accurate and up-to-date information, visit our Knowledge Base."

Thanks, 3.75 billion dollar software company.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Documentation is a full time job for someone who is actually trained to do it, but literally everyone on the planet treats it like something that happens organically and people just need to remember to do it when making changes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Support rep: "Yeah never rely on our KB articles. They're always out of date. Call support."

Support greeting: "For the most accurate and up-to-date information, visit our Knowledge Base."

Thanks, 3.75 billion dollar software company.

DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD FILE THIS SUPPORT REQUEST ONLINE AT SUPPORT.COMPANY.COM?

I did. Two days ago. None of you fucknuts have replied.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

xzzy posted:

Documentation is a full time job for someone who is actually trained to do it, but literally everyone on the planet treats it like something that happens organically and people just need to remember to do it when making changes.

Or it's done by support engineers who are forced to create KB articles by management who has not hid the fact that as soon as the KB database is mature they will be replacing the support engineers by outsourced tier 1's.

Works about as well as you expect.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bob Morales posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo, man

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I did. Two days ago. None of you fucknuts have replied.

When I first started I would just use the web tools I don't have time for the phone! Actually I hate phones! Now I just call, not only does stuff get done faster I look busy while I have a phone to my head on hold for 2 hours while I post on the internet.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

xzzy posted:

This. So much this. And then it bloats out of control because every individual page is unique, so if you have the same info in five places you have to update five places. Assuming anyone remembers all five places.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reminds me of a stupid rule a previous employer had. Every closed ticket must have a new KB created for it. Because we were going to be a streamlined "ITIL" devops agile muckraking snorting spitting chewing son-of-a-gun IT department. Despite countless meetings, myself and several others in IT, could not get it through the IT directors head that this was incredibly stupid. Despite showing him official ITIL documentation on the difference between a problem and an incident. So helpdesk did as they were told and created lazy messy KB articles for closed tickets that already had a documented fix.

That director finally left and some poor intern got stuck spending a good chunk of his summer going through and cleaning up the mess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Reminds me of a stupid rule a previous employer had. Every closed ticket must have a new KB created for it. Because we were going to be a streamlined "ITIL" devops agile muckraking snorting spitting chewing son-of-a-gun IT department. Despite countless meetings, myself and several others in IT, could not get it through the IT directors head that this was incredibly stupid. Despite showing him official ITIL documentation on the difference between a problem and an incident. So helpdesk did as they were told and created lazy messy KB articles for closed tickets that already had a documented fix.

That director finally left and some poor intern got stuck spending a good chunk of his summer going through and cleaning up the mess.

Jesus christ. There wasn't even an option to say "known issue, KB already exists at <url>"?

That's awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ITIL is just the worst.

It's the sort of thing that sounds like a good idea up front, then when it comes to checking all the implementation boxes it's nonstop "holy gently caress my entire work day is going to be spent filling out forms."

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Jesus christ. There wasn't even an option to say "known issue, KB already exists at <url>"?

That's awful.

Haha nope that would've made to much sense! We tried telling him over and over that multiple incidents could link to an existing documented KB or problem. He was so far up sales rear end that he insisted we treat every incident as it's own special snowflake. How do you rewrite unlocked user account a 100 different times? Towards the end helpdesk was literally copy pasting existing articles as new KBs. Just totally pants on head stupid.

xzzy posted:

ITIL is just the worst.

It's the sort of thing that sounds like a good idea up front, then when it comes to checking all the implementation boxes it's nonstop "holy gently caress my entire work day is going to be spent filling out forms."

I think ITIL can be good. What people dont get is that its OK to just pick and choose the parts that apply to your organization and will work well. Otherwise like you said you would get nothing done all day as you sat in change committee meetings and documented the living hell out of every mundane thing.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

pixaal posted:

Why would anyone turn off backups because someone said they are going to spec a new server but hadn't yet?

Miscommunication between the backup admin and myself, and totally my fault.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

xzzy posted:

ITIL is just the worst.

ITIL is merely guidelines, you should NOT directly implement everything they have down on paper, you mold it to fit your business needs. The overall theory is sound (change management, incident/problem management etc), but people just implement it very poorly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well management where I'm at missed that lesson, and decided they absolutely had to implement all of it and we've been slowly getting crushed under the weight ever since.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if an organization is incompetent enough that documentation is a myth then theyre also the sort of people that would follow it like loving gospel once exposed

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Haha nope that would've made to much sense! We tried telling him over and over that multiple incidents could link to an existing documented KB or problem. He was so far up sales rear end that he insisted we treat every incident as it's own special snowflake. How do you rewrite unlocked user account a 100 different times? Towards the end helpdesk was literally copy pasting existing articles as new KBs. Just totally pants on head stupid.

At least where I worked you had the option to link a closed ticket to a KB article, but more than half of the cases were special snowflake cases so you would end up with published cases that said "System giving error x due to network issues. Talked to John in customer network group to get it fixed." Which I guess means that if a customer had the same problem but did not have a network engineer named John they were screwed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just hate when you find a ticket with the same problem and it's just *closed* or 'fixed it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I just hate when you find a ticket with the same problem and it's just *closed* or 'fixed it'

If you did a shotgun because you think 5 things could be the problem and it's a vocal user just say "Hey I did 5 things it was one of these" is okay. What pissed me off more is when the ticket is a link to an external resource that is no longer available. "followed steps at https://www.myitblog.com" THIS DOMAIN IS FOR SALE! It's okay to link to a source to credit it, but please copy and past the contents.