Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

um excuse me posted:

Who does really good work in B+W/film?

Ansel Adams set the bar for B&W film. His book 'The Making of 40 Photographs' is excellent in that it has a combination of portraits/landscapes/other and he talks about what he was trying to do to make the image work.

For something more modern, I've always liked Mitch Dobrowner and Nick Brandt. I can't remember the name of another one and it's driving me nuts - English guy, shoots B&W landscapes with a Hasselblad - anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My favorite B&W photographer is Joel Peter Witkin

I don't suggest emulating his work.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

I can't remember the name of another one and it's driving me nuts - English guy, shoots B&W landscapes with a Hasselblad - anyone?

Michael Kenna.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

um excuse me posted:

Among contemporaries, as of late I've been digging Santu Mofokeng work a lot. It's something different from the usual suspects and quite the skilled bw film photographer. He's from South Africa. "Chasing Shadows" is a great book by him.

That said, go out and shoot!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

Michael Kenna.

That was it. Thank you!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I want to shoot with something sorta gimmicky. Show me the best half frame camera. Olympus Pen F?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yashica samurai

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Yashica samurai

This, or the Pen F or Pen.... D I think it was.

E: A bunch of Konicas are half frame too.

E2: Here's a ton of them. That binocular one at the bottom is a hoot.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

um excuse me posted:

You should check out Ragnar Axelsson.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Shellman posted:

I want to shoot with something sorta gimmicky. Show me the best half frame camera. Olympus Pen F?

Clearly you want the Pen-EE S (it's actually pretty great camera)

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looking at some of the stuff mentioned, I already feel a little better about what to look for.

I think I will ruin a few rolls of film and stop worrying so much.

Also I'm really digging Kenna and Axelsson's stuff. Kenna has a very simple yet effective theme and Axelsson clearly shows that winters in New England shouldn't be a time to hibernate the camera.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 11, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god I get it now :aaa:

I get why people love Natura 1600 so much

00000026 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000017 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000011 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

00000004 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had five rolls in my Amazon cart for a month now, don't do this to me.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
check out ebay japan sellers, it was a lot cheaper there than it was from any source here. I bought 3 rolls for under 30 dollars shipped

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

check out ebay japan sellers, it was a lot cheaper there than it was from any source here. I bought 3 rolls for under 30 dollars shipped

poo poo that's awesome, best I could find when I got it was $13/roll on Amazon.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

COOL CORN posted:

My favorite B&W photographer is Joel Peter Witkin

I don't suggest emulating his work.

I've seen his work at the AIPAD. It's great work, but I wouldn't either.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I shot film for the first time using a 1957 Kodak Pony 2. What a weird camera. In hindsight, I probably should have started off with a different film camera, but hey, free camera. The no focusing and weird exposure settings were challenging for me.

Out of 24 shots, most were either blown out or out of focus. I had a handful of usable images and these were my favorites:

Woods - 1957 Kodak Pony 2 by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Isabella - 1957 Kodak Pony 2 by Eli Misel, on Flickr

It was enough of a cool experience to give me the film bug, so I think I'm gonna pick up an FM3. I have a brand new Pentax wr90 that was given to me that I'm putting a roll through right now, so maybe my next try will have a better turn out.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 12, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Fifty dollar bargain find. :circlefap: I put some new 357 batteries in it, and it meters!

Nikon FM by Eli Misel, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This was my $50 flea-market find yesterday.

1930 Ihagee Photoklapp Duplex. F. Deckel 105mm f/4.5 lens by Iain Compton, on Flickr

It's in perfect condition and even the velvet light seals feel like new. It has three film holders in the small black wallet and the original shutter release cable in the box.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
That's freaking sick man!!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Found on OLX (Russian eBay) for ~$30. Talked the guy down to $20 because he wanted to haggle even though I was entirely fine with giving him the full price.

1969 Kiev 10. Helios-81 50mm f/2 automatic lens. by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Unlike the one I bought a few weeks ago, this one is in perfect condition. It meters, the automatic lens mechanism works, the fan shutter is properly aligned and it's still in the box with all of its accessories. There's a super ugly ever-ready case, a nice, all metal-cable-release, an adapter to use m39 lenses, rear cap for the lens, 1/4-3/8"tripod adapter and an OC12 filter for when you want your space-age, avant-garde camera to take black and white pictures.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Eastern Bloc SLRs with meters always look like they're going to zap you with a laser beam.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Right, I took this photo as part of a film project at college which I now have to write up about. My reasons for taking the pic where, gotta use up this film, oooh shiny and it's dark and I only have 400 speed film so I'll have to use a shallow depth of field.

In my written work I have to do artist research and say who influenced me. Problem is I'm backtracking with this coz I just took it on the fly. Don't suppose anyone knows of any film photographers who are known for taking photos of shiny metal things with a shallow depth of field?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hmm, I'm not sure this will be of help, but I'd put something like the following:

quote:

My reasons for taking the pic where, gotta use up this film, oooh shiny and it's dark and I only have 400 speed film so I'll have to use a shallow depth of field.

Thoughts anyone?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

rocketpig posted:

Don't suppose anyone knows of any film photographers who are known for taking photos of shiny metal things with a shallow depth of field?

That's... That's not how artistic influence generally works. The chief influence on Nobuyoshi Araki was not Irving Klaw despite the fact that Klaw made photos of women in bondage on film.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I might go with something like:

quote:

My reasons for taking the photo were: I wanted to use up some ISO 400 film, when I happened to see a shiny metal object. However, it was dark and due to the relatively low speed of the film I had to use a large aperture which produced the shallow depth of field.

Edited for clarity and consistency.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hey 400 ASA is considered high speed film! 100 ASA is medium speed, and you're down to about 40 ASA and below for slow film!

But yeah just frame it as an experiment you wanted to try, given the circumstances. Then it happened to give a result you liked. (Probably explain how the result matched with your expectations.)

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

Thanks, I have explained in my write up my reasons for choosing that subject and those settings in more detail. I was suppose to be using the film to photograph an event outdoors but couldn't continue coz it started chucking it down. I ended up going in the local museum to get dry and use up the film in there.

The thing I'm struggling with it tying it to another photographer. For every other shoot I've done I've managed to find someone who shoots similar stuff, just this one is proving more difficult. I did find a few images of similar subject matter but the site didn't think to credit the photographer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rocketpig posted:

Thanks, I have explained in my write up my reasons for choosing that subject and those settings in more detail. I was suppose to be using the film to photograph an event outdoors but couldn't continue coz it started chucking it down. I ended up going in the local museum to get dry and use up the film in there.

The thing I'm struggling with it tying it to another photographer. For every other shoot I've done I've managed to find someone who shoots similar stuff, just this one is proving more difficult. I did find a few images of similar subject matter but the site didn't think to credit the photographer.

Credit yourself as the influence.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Credit k-rock because you want to support your growing family

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just cite Aleksandr Rodchenko http://bit.ly/23XyTnu

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Just cite Aleksandr Rodchenko http://bit.ly/23XyTnu

Awesome, ta :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Alternatively, decide who you'd like to emulate before taking the photo.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Alternatively, decide who you'd like to emulate before taking the photo.

This would be ideal yes. Seriously though more people should appreciate Rodchenko's work, it's rad.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Alternatively actually do the research because you might just learn something and discover real influences.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

deaders posted:

Alternatively actually do the research because you might just learn something and discover real influences.

People are super bad at this because it takes actual time.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Relevant to thread title: Catlabs has said they're going to work on making pack film.

Best of luck to them, and I suspect they'll need it, but at least someone is going to try?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yond Cassius posted:

Relevant to thread title: Catlabs has said they're going to work on making pack film.

Best of luck to them, and I suspect they'll need it, but at least someone is going to try?

I'm not sure I have much faith in Catlabs, mostly because the guy that runs it was a dick to me on facebook once and all their stuff is super overpriced.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That's the artisanal price you have to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

That's the artisanal price you have to pay

Mod54: Reasonable price for the capacity and level of finish.

Catlabs CL81: gently caress you, pay us $130 for a thing that is at least 1/3 straight up PVC pipe from Home Depot.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 19, 2016