Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There's also the fact that Silva has fought Chrollo in the past and notes how Chrollo has improved in the gap between. Also he forbids Killua from getting involved with the Phantom Troupe but that may also have something to do with them being largely from Meteor city, a place that knows how to hold a grudge. I still think even Serious Chrollo vs Serious Zeno would be in Zeno's favor though. But it's HxH so who knows? There are no power levels here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I love these little mini arcs the series has. Sucks to see gotoh died though :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm still upset about that.

Gotoh was a cool dude.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kingtheninja posted:

I love these little mini arcs the series has. Sucks to see gotoh died though :(

Bad Seafood posted:

Gotoh was a cool dude.

He had to Gotoh 'ell.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

There's also the fact that Silva has fought Chrollo in the past and notes how Chrollo has improved in the gap between. Also he forbids Killua from getting involved with the Phantom Troupe but that may also have something to do with them being largely from Meteor city, a place that knows how to hold a grudge. I still think even Serious Chrollo vs Serious Zeno would be in Zeno's favor though. But it's HxH so who knows? There are no power levels here.
Mrs. Zoldyck and several of the estate butlers are from Meteor City, so there's probably another reason. Also, he let Kalluto join, or at least someone did.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He had to Gotoh 'ell.
Gotoh is in butler heaven and I will slap you for even suggesting otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I'm actually very interested in just how Kalluto hooked up with the troupe. I figured that they mostly recruited out of Meteor City. Hisoka is a globe-trotting murder enthusiast, so he could have met up with the troupe any number of ways and likely got his spot by killing the previous #4. Even Illumi joining would be somewhat reasonable, as he had at least worked for them in the past. But Kalluto? That whole situation just baffles me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Gotoh is in butler heaven and I will slap you for even suggesting otherwise.

Butlers don't have souls.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yeah, I'm actually very interested in just how Kalluto hooked up with the troupe. I figured that they mostly recruited out of Meteor City. Hisoka is a globe-trotting murder enthusiast, so he could have met up with the troupe any number of ways and likely got his spot by killing the previous #4. Even Illumi joining would be somewhat reasonable, as he had at least worked for them in the past. But Kalluto? That whole situation just baffles me.

I think it's stated Hisoka is from Meteor city at some point, I think when around the explanation of texture surprise in the Yorknew arc, maybe? As for Kalluto, apparently Killua's Mom is from Meteor City, so that's a possible connection.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 11, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think it's ever stated where Hisoka is from.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

In one of the live action hxh musicals hisoka faces off against silva and zeno, and does about as well as chrollo does.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Mrs. Zoldyck and several of the estate butlers are from Meteor City, so there's probably another reason.

I must have missed that.

quote:

Also, he let Kalluto join, or at least someone did.
The warning came before that but it does make sense that they let Kalluto join. It's the meteor city philosophy.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Tunicate posted:

In one of the live action hxh musicals hisoka faces off against silva and zeno, and does about as well as chrollo does.

There are HxH musicals? What?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWS3Ew2ol2I

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

That's better than what I expected, thanks :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This should be in the OP.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The existence of live action anime musicals both baffles and terrifies me, and yet I watched the whole thing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The existence of live action anime musicals both baffles and terrifies me, and yet I watched the whole thing.

Forget musicals, there is a legit One Piece kabuki play, complete with olde timey special effects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oimE5tqQYN4

Hopefully someday we can see one for HxH.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

Yeah plus we haven't even seen much of what Zeno or Silva can really do, besides 1-2 moves. Their full fighting capabilities is really a mystery, so i hope we get to see more of them in the future, even if its just 1 proper fight.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bad Seafood posted:

Gotoh was a cool dude.

This is why Hisoka has to die

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There are actually two Hunter x Hunter musicals, or at least two.

Both can be found with a little snooping around.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, i know what im doing tomorrow

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Interesting how the actors in the musical all look perfectly right...except the ones playing Gon and Killua. To be fair, it's hard finding people young/short enough who can still play what I assume are the most demanding parts, and Gon's most visually distinctive trait is a hairstyle that's basically impossible for a real person.

Also interesting that the musical's interpretation of Bungee Gum is basically Doflamingo's powers from One Piece.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 11, 2016

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah its stated he flat out killed the previous 4 that's why most of the group dislikes him

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it specifically stated what gon did to himself to fight pitou? I didn't remember seeing anything aside from people saying he made some crazy condition.

Watching the last episode now. This was a great show. I definitely got a little emotional at the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kild posted:

yeah its stated he flat out killed the previous 4 that's why most of the group dislikes him

I imagine it also doesn't really help that being good buddies is sort of part of the Phantom Troupe's "corporate culture" and Hisoka clearly doesn't consider them his comrades.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wasn't it stated that Kalluto's reason for joining was to bring Killua back to his family? I guess his plan was to betray Phantom Troupe as soon as Kurapica and his friends (presumably including Killua) attacked them, in order to make Killua friendlier with him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it specifically stated what gon did to himself to fight pitou? I didn't remember seeing anything aside from people saying he made some crazy condition.

Watching the last episode now. This was a great show. I definitely got a little emotional at the end.

It was just a more drastic condition than usual. Kurapika gained great power with the restriction that he could only use it on the troupe. Gon gained absolutely absurd power with the restriction that he could only use it once.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
IIRC he gained power equal to what he would have at his theoretical peak (which is a really weird ability if you think about it) in exchange for probably dying.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

It was just a more drastic condition than usual. Kurapika gained great power with the restriction that he could only use it on the troupe. Gon gained absolutely absurd power with the restriction that he could only use it once.

This is how I interpreted it. Basically: "Give me all of my future potential all at once, then do whatever you want to me."

Actually it could have been even more than "all of my future potential" because he said "Just let me beat him [pitou]" and as strong as Gon was, he may not have had the potential in him to ever be stronger than pitou to outright beat him.

It was pretty much a nen suicide pact.

(Still don't think Gon is out for good though)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Crain posted:

This is how I interpreted it. Basically: "Give me all of my future potential all at once, then do whatever you want to me."

Actually it could have been even more than "all of my future potential" because he said "Just let me beat him [pitou]" and as strong as Gon was, he may not have had the potential in him to ever be stronger than pitou to outright beat him.

It was pretty much a nen suicide pact.

(Still don't think Gon is out for good though)

*her

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oh. Ok. I guess the translation I read messed that up.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

Wasn't it stated that Kalluto's reason for joining was to bring Killua back to his family? I guess his plan was to betray Phantom Troupe as soon as Kurapica and his friends (presumably including Killua) attacked them, in order to make Killua friendlier with him.

That was probably his plan originally but it seems like he's just one of the gang at this point, which is nice. The two youngest sons went out and found their own friends outside of the family.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gon is out for good because the manga will never get far enough for him to come back in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gon is gone

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

... because the author couldn't figure out a way to give him a good powerset, he wanted crazy diamond and kept getting star platinum

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

When Togashi said he had ideas for 3 more arcs, I wonder if he's counting the Prince succession boat arc and the dark continent itself as separate arcs? Because I MIGHT be able to believe that those two will finish eventually.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crain posted:

AFAIK Pitou is referred to as neutrally in the manga and the ants probably don't even have a sex aside from the queen, let alone a gender.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

A lot of people assumed Pitou was a male because she/he/it uses masculine pronouns when referring to itself, but it's not uncommon for girls to use those too, especially in manga. When other people refer to Pitou I think it's always gender neutral. The official English version of the manga uses he/him though.

Alluka, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Where'd he say that? Cause I've always just figured the series only had around three more arcs in it, so it's kinda weird to me that my hunch might be inexplicably right.

Crain posted:

it's not really a translation issue, more just an interpretive one. The king and queen excepted, the chimera ants are largely sexless but capable of exhibiting various secondary sexual characteristics depending on how they scored in the queen's genetic lottery. Pitou, Pouf, and Youpi are neither male nor female, but Pitou acts and appears very feminine so its not uncommon for fans to refer to her as, well, "Her." Similarly, Youpi isn't strictly a dude either, but is comparably extremely masculine so most people tend to think of him as "Him."

That's my take on it anyway.