Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
p.sure gating people who don't want to play in open out of content is a nonstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

All frontier has to do is retool powerplay to involve player factions somehow and force people into open to make meaningful gains into the system. Bam, instant pvp content. The skeleton for actual interesting engagements is being laid out by engineers, we just need the meat and blood now.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

p.sure gating people who don't want to play in open out of content is a nonstarter

Devs have already openly discussed incentivizing open for PP related activities. Giving players in open high influence for their actions. Of course it's not a guaranteed thing. However, from the discussion, it would appear that the only thing they strictly refuse to add incentive to is monetary rewards.

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

Lots of PowerPlay changes are coming so let's hope for the best and spearhead GalCop.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They aren't gating anyone, its just that not subjecting yourself to the risk of open pvp in territorial conflicts should mean that your contributions into the game shard are proportionally a whole lot weaker than those in open.

e-less of a gate and more like a bottle neck I guess.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop
Elite was never meant to be, and will never be, an open world mmo built upon player actions and interactions. I've come to terms with that and feel fortunate that there are still plenty of those who freely log into open and allow me to torment them.

SC will hopefully be that experience many of the pvp players were hoping for, but it is shocking how crybaby a huge amount of SC players are even in early alpha, which has shaken my confidence quite a bit--despite the fact the game probably won't launch this side of the decade.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They aren't gating anyone, its just that not subjecting yourself to the risk of open pvp in territorial conflicts should mean that your contributions into the game shard are proportionally a whole lot weaker than those in open.

e-less of a gate and more like a bottle neck I guess.

that's fair

Fishreds99 posted:

Elite was never meant to be, and will never be, an open world mmo built upon player actions and interactions. I've come to terms with that and feel fortunate that there are still plenty of those who freely log into open and allow me to torment them.

SC will hopefully be that experience many of the pvp players were hoping for, but it is shocking how crybaby a huge amount of SC players are even in early alpha, which has shaken my confidence quite a bit--despite the fact the game probably won't launch this side of the decade.

:allears:/:ironicat:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeaaah, please don't use "hope" in a sentence with SC on it except its like " I hope star citizen loving collapsed already"

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fishreds99 posted:

These are the people who ran from EVE after getting ganked and losing everything a few times. With :lesnick: catering to their every fear about ganking/pirating and the development staff pretty much turning a blind eye to any and all questions about the same, what else did you expect? The goonfear is strong in SC and it's probably going to grow exponentially in ED as this competition pushes on.

Fishreds99
Jul 8, 2009

Beep Boop

LCL-Dead posted:

These are the people who ran from EVE after getting ganked and losing everything a few times. With :lesnick: catering to their every fear about ganking/pirating and the development staff pretty much turning a blind eye to any and all questions about the same, what else did you expect? The goonfear is strong in SC and it's probably going to grow exponentially in ED as this competition pushes on.

Agreed. Just a bizzare sentiment to have about internet spaceships and being unable to cope with them being blown up, generally. I'm not sure if any other genre attracts a comparable amount of whingers and people who are so against playing with others.

As always, goons ruin everything, forever.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

LCL-Dead posted:

Devs have already openly discussed incentivizing open for PP related activities. Giving players in open high influence for their actions. Of course it's not a guaranteed thing. However, from the discussion, it would appear that the only thing they strictly refuse to add incentive to is monetary rewards.

They should incentivize the poo poo out of open play across the board.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shredder posted:

Power play influence is probably the "safest" thing to give Open a bonus to (Rather than Nerf/Disable it in solo), yeah. Even something as small as an hour timer where you are stuck with Solo Values when you switch modes would help hinder people flipping back and forth to, due to impatience as much as Open mode players being able to keep going at full speed.

John J Solo and Paul P Private will not even notice a difference, unless they care about the spread of galactic politics.

Pretty much everything else, from income to pilot rank and faction standings, would be felt much more even if you are just trying to your own thing, or play with a couple friends without worrying about other players who spend their days pointing cargo scanners at stations.

I'm sure plenty of private groups that bill themselves as "PvE centric" would still scream about what is primarily a player vs player driven tug of war not being something they can impact as readily as Open, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shredder posted:

Is that suicide Eagle still griefing people nonstop at the Fuel Rats CG? Maybe they should incentivize Open play by fixing the utterly broken instancing, fixing the dumb grief exploits, polishing up the wing mechanics and social features, and fixing the PvP balance which is currently broke as gently caress (and looks to be getting even worse in 2.1).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shredder posted:

No. No they shouldn't.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
How many space dollars do the large multi cannons even cost? I just wanna bolt them on my FAS and chill out in a RES with a buddy or two, all this crafting and RNG business is fine and good but not really doing much for me :shobon:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No. No they shouldn't.

Yes they should. Higher risk, greater reward.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

lol.

if someone posts "it's elite dangerous not elite ____" i'll have a lovely elite argument bingo!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dabir posted:

How many times do we have to go over this though? What 'higher risk'? You can't blockade anything, you can't prevent a specific group or player from entering a system/station/planet because instancing makes this impossible no matter how hardcore sundae wants to slap carebears around, no matter how 'dangerous' you want Elite (heh) to be, no matter how many cannons and guns and hours you stay up to try to prevent another player from doing anything, you can't because of instancing. No player or group can ever change the game for any other player because you will be in a separate instance than them, so separate, in fact, that they might be in open, private or solo! You don't know and the game rationalizes it in exactly the same way.

If this was a real-deal one-universe-for-all-players-at-a-time-Em-Em-Oh game then sure, but it isn't.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

how pissy people get about other people they don't know playing in solo or private group never gets old

'loving carebears!!!!'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe they should incentivize Open play by fixing the utterly broken instancing, fixing the dumb grief exploits, polishing up the wing mechanics and social features, and fixing the PvP balance which is currently broke as gently caress (and looks to be getting even worse in 2.1).

That sounds dangerously close to standard MMO design, didn't you know that ED isn't like a casual kiddies MMO holding your hand?

:nallea-:suicide:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KakerMix posted:

How many times do we have to go over this though? What 'higher risk'? You can't blockade anything, you can't prevent a specific group or player from entering a system/station/planet because instancing makes this impossible no matter how hardcore sundae wants to slap carebears around, no matter how 'dangerous' you want Elite (heh) to be, no matter how many cannons and guns and hours you stay up to try to prevent another player from doing anything, you can't because of instancing. No player or group can ever change the game for any other player because you will be in a separate instance than them, so separate, in fact, that they might be in open, private or solo! You don't know and the game rationalizes it in exactly the same way.

If this was a real-deal one-universe-for-all-players-at-a-time-Em-Em-Oh game then sure, but it isn't.

If you're running things that involve a lot of players, like CGs or powerplay, you have a high chance of running into other players and one of them could want to kill you. Just because you *can* fly around in the most populated areas in Open without seeing anyone doesn't mean you *will*.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dabir posted:

There already is - just as there's the chance that you might run into a hostile player who kills you, there's the chance that you might run into a friendly player who cooperates with you.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

how pissy people get about other people they don't know playing in solo or private group never gets old

'loving carebears!!!!'

What's wrong with carebears anyways? Aren't they just friendly cuddly talking teddy bears? Why does the brown sea hate teddy bears

teddy bears in space is like even better than normal teddy bears too

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

There already is - just as there's the chance that you might run into a hostile player who kills you, there's the chance that you might run into a friendly player who cooperates with you.

One of those is worth jack poo poo.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

lol.

if someone posts "it's elite dangerous not elite ____" i'll have a lovely elite argument bingo!

:ironicat:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I already filled the ironicat and nallears boxes a few posts back.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I still don't see how incentivizing open play in any way diminishes the experience of solo/private group players. Like, seriously? Why so against it? If you don't want to play open, you don't have to. There's no penalty. Not getting a bonus is NOT a penalty.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dabir posted:

One of those is worth jack poo poo.

I regret to inform you that this is incorrect

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OK yeah if you know what you're doing both of them are worth jack poo poo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I still don't see how incentivizing open play in any way diminishes the experience of solo/private group players. Like, seriously? Why so against it? If you don't want to play open, you don't have to. There's no penalty. Not getting a bonus is NOT a penalty.

If you wanted something closer to common sense as opposed to salt, because of the the Devs likelihood of picking "Make Solo results worse, all done!", rather than "Make open results better." Even if it was limited to Power Play politics, instead of mission payouts or Naval reputation gains.

Open players don't get any "incentive", in that case. But it's also a lot easier to just slap a non open penalty and call it a day dev effort wise, especially with how often they skew towards more grind rather than less.

See also, adding NPC ships patrolling planetary outposts because oh gently caress, players are stacking those for progress/payouts. Instead of the escape pod retrieval missions that fail so fast, they can't even complete them if they take them with a cargo hold full of escape pods (Hey, are those fixed in the Beta?)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 11, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dabir posted:

If you're running things that involve a lot of players, like CGs or powerplay, you have a high chance of running into other players and one of them could want to kill you. Just because you *can* fly around in the most populated areas in Open without seeing anyone doesn't mean you *will*.

Yeah? Why do I care about the player that wants to kill other players? Would a PVP situation in open ~really~ affect the CG or Powerplay thing you are talking about in this hypothetical situation? Shouldn't that PVP player, who wants to kill other players, be actually contributing to that CG or Powerplay thing instead of trying to kill other players? Correct me if I am wrong but you have a very short list of ways that a PVP instance, right now in game, can affect Elite in the grand scheme of what you are trying to incentivize. Just because this player-that-wants-to-kill-another-player wants to kill other players doesn't make the game any more fun for anyone else besides that pvp player. They don't contribute to anything in the game, they don't have a mechanism to blockade a station nor is there a mechanism in place for them to really swing anything organically with PVP outside of forum posts and salt mining. Not everyone wants to deal with other players, and unfortunately the PVP-types are in a situation where chances are they will never affect another player in the universe because they can never be sure to put themselves in the same instance with them. If a player is in open or solo it is identical to you because you can't have an effect on them anyway because of instancing. Incentivizing open does nothing to change this fact, the system will still get hosed because of instancing.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Because Frontier axed offline-single player mode, which was promised to the people that originally kickstarted it. The compromise that Frontier came up with was solo/private/open modes are all the same as far as the game is concerned, and you get a sort-of single player experience if you so choose. And the "penalty" in this instance is maybe I don't want to jump in open to play this space game? Maybe I want to go into private with 3 of my friends and just chill out having fun playing the game and not have to wrestle with the very real issue of open mode instancing. You want to deny me of affecting the universe because you have a misguided idea that incetivizing open over private/solo is going to somehow fix the underlying issue which is ~*instancing*~ by design of the game. This isn't EvE, unfortunately, and unless Frontier are going to do some massive redesigns no tweaks to solo/private/open are going to fix this.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

If you genuinely are struggling to understand the position, consider that this is a bit like if Frontier added a zero behind all the prices and then declared that they didn't nerf credit gains. What's true in the absolute calculus of the videogame is meaningless compared to the relative experience of the player.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Anyone else getting a "Failed to read from response stream" error while trying to install the beta for Horizons? I've tried deleting the .part and .progress files from the test client folders, changing download method and unchecking virtual cache, and totally reinstalling it 3 times now to no avail.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I'm not saying deny single/group players anything. Leave them exactly as they are, but throw on a 10% bonus to whatever for Open Players, as an incentive to play in open. How exactly is that diminishing the experience of single/group players?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Conskill posted:

If you genuinely are struggling to understand the position, consider that this is a bit like if Frontier added a zero behind all the prices and then declared that they didn't nerf credit gains. What's true in the absolute calculus of the videogame is meaningless compared to the relative experience of the player.

In practice, framing has a huge impact on how people perceive things. For some examples, the rested XP bonus in World of Warcraft was originally a penalty to players who stayed on grinding too long. People naturally hated it, so Blizzards repackaged the same scaling as bonus experience for people who had taken a break and the mechanic was loved.

See also: every department store ever that advertises $30 handbags or whatever as $60 handbags on a 50% clearance.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I'm not saying deny single/group players anything. Leave them exactly as they are, but throw on a 10% bonus to whatever for Open Players, as an incentive to play in open. How exactly is that diminishing the experience of single/group players?

It invites the perception that Open is the correct way to play and that you're not making progress as fast as you should be if you are in Solo/Private. I don't think I would feel that way but some players probably would.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Tikal posted:

:siren::siren:The Wildcard votes have begun:siren::siren:

TL/DR; Here on Inara, we will tell you which are the most beneficial people to vote for.
Alright listen up Tadpoles, Frogs, toads and other amphibians.
As you're all aware, the games have begun. https://community.elitedangerous.com/wildcard

NOTE, ONCE YOU VOTE THAT'S IT, IT IS ONLY ONE VOTE PER ACCOUNT AND YOU CANNOT SWITCH YOUR VOTES. Remember, you will be using your elite account to sign in, not the forums one. You've got about until Tuesday 17 May at 10:00 BST, to vote.

So who are the Pledges you ask? Why here you go!

Wildcards

• Achenar Immortals Coalition consiting of:
    ---Jethro Sharpe (a lone Fed Commander), Guild of Rebuy Screenius Maximus, 13th Legion, Federal Reclamation CO, 160 S.O.A.R., Silver Skulls, Flying Tigers, EDC Vanguard, Vortex Continuum, Guardians of Tranquillity, Smiling Dog Crew
  • Black Birds Squadron
  • The Imperial Inquisition
  • Battle Vortex
  • Planet Express
  • Adle's Armada Coalition consisting of:
    ---Earth Defence Fleet, Independent Pilots Consortium, Sovereign Justice Coalition, The Ancient Order & Time of Chaos
  • Black Omega
  • EG Pilots
  • Wolves of Jonai
  • United German Commanders Coalition consisting of:
    ---United German Commanders & Blood Brothers from Alrai
  • Pileus Libertas

So you wanna know a little more about these groups? Well, take it from Frontier Development's pundit!

Achenar Immortals Coalition (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&page=2&p=3870676&viewfull=1#post3870676)
Our pundit says: Achernar Immortals have confirmed a coalition late in the process with a large number of groups pledging to the coalition. The coalition boasts the following members Jethro Sharpe (a lone Fed Commander), Guild of Rebuy Screenius Maximus, 13th Legion, Federal Reclamation CO, 160 S.O.A.R., Silver Skulls, Flying Tigers, EDC Vanguard, Vortex Continuum, Guardians of Tranquility & Smiling Dog Crew). Whilst vast in numbers these groups also hail from a very wide and diverse ethos and background. From notorious pirates, to Federation all in support of the Imperial immortals. With Elenar heading up the coalition and having access to large promotional channels these could certainly be a strong group for the wildcard position. But can they galvanise their community channels and their groups to one united cause?

Black Birds Squadron (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&p=3870518&viewfull=1#post3870518)
Our pundit says: The Black Birds Squadron are a group that have received less public discussion than other groups in the Wildcard. However, these guys could easily be a very strong force in the wildcard games. While the Black Bird Squadron are competing as themselves, they could pull support from the French Coalition which they are in. This coalition was involved in one of the Educating Eds and contains a number of prominent French groups. What’s more, they are also heavily involved in a number of French community sites and have a strong outreach in that community. As the only French group, this could prove to be a difficult group to beat.

The Imperial Inquisition
Our pundit says: Famous for their hunter games and other events. This group have proven their ability to pull groups to their side and compete in vast numbers through CGs in the past. With this and their streaming community this imperial bunch are certainly a group of sizable force!

Battle Vortex (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&page=3&p=3872133&viewfull=1#post3872133)
Our pundit says: Battle Vortex are an extensive gaming community. With sizable channels on YouTube and Twitch, they could well be a surprise in this competition if they can get their Commanders rallying for their cause!

Planet Express
Our pundit says: A smaller group of Commanders and believed to be more Xbox leaning but present on both platforms. It will be really great to find out more about this group’s ethos and background in the competition through their political campaign.

Adle's Armada Coalition (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&p=3870483&viewfull=1#post3870483)
Our pundit says: A truly dangerous threat. Adles Armada alone are one of the more known and recognised groups in the wildcard race. Not only that but they also have a formidable coalition in place with some very dedicated and formidable groups. In the Diamond Frogs Educating Ed episode we saw some clear tensions between Adle’s Armada and the Diamond Frogs so we’re expecting some exciting developments from this group as the competition progresses.

Black Omega (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&p=3870465&viewfull=1#post3870465)
Our pundit says: another of the less publically discussed groups in these competitions. An independent aligned group who we’ll be looking forward to hearing more from as their campaign develops.

EG Pilots (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&p=3870479&viewfull=1#post3870479)
Our pundit says: A dedicated Russian group. The EG pilots (not to be confused with Emperor’s Grace) could surprise a few people if they can get enough support from their communities. Perhaps one that the English speaking Community might not be aware of but certainly not one to take lightly.

Wolves of Jonai
Our pundit says: Headed up by well-known YouTuber ChaosWulff, This Commander has the group, platform and size of followers to be a threat in the votes, depending on how active and persuasive his campaign is.

United German Commanders Coalition (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&p=3870507&viewfull=1#post3870507)
Our pundit says: United German Commanders are working alongside the Blood Brothers from Alrai which represent a considerable German contingent. It will be interesting to see the development of this campaign as we head into the votes.

Pileus Libertas (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249058&page=2&p=3871285&viewfull=1#post3871285)
Our pundit says: Some may consider this group relatively small, but this imperial group, rich in history are very passionate and dedicated. Could they be a possible surprise in the votes? Again, we will be eager to see their campaigns unfold over this week.

So now you ask, "Why is this important?".
To now I answer, because the top five pledges will eventually compete in CGs to determine which one of them will rise to be the sixth potential candidate and then finally compete with the other top 5 groups/Coalitions to become the next Power.

Rise to Power
  • Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps [AEDC]
  • Border Coalition [BC] (qualified faction - Dukes of Mikunn)
    ---Mercs of Mikunn, Communism Interstellar & The Winged Hussars
  • GalCop (qualified faction - Diamond Frogs) <---That's us!
    ---Dark Echo, Da Vinci Corp, Diamond Frogs (+Adamant Toads), East India Company, EXO, The Forgotten, Light Horse Brigade, Paladin Consortium, Pixel Bandits Security Force & Sirius Inc.
  • Interstellar Communist Union [ICU]
  • Social Eleu Progressive Party [SEPP]
  • Wildcard – ????

i have insider information that at the moment Achenar are at war with UGC.... :)

Tikal
Nov 14, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

i have insider information that at the moment Achenar are at war with UGC.... :)

We know.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

nightwisher posted:

Anyone else getting a "Failed to read from response stream" error while trying to install the beta for Horizons? I've tried deleting the .part and .progress files from the test client folders, changing download method and unchecking virtual cache, and totally reinstalling it 3 times now to no avail.
I had that and the way it "worked" for me was to keep trying until it finally finished installing. I'd try opening a ticket since it's a known issue. :shobon:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

lol

they'll make 90% of what manly open players make. open players who totally won't abuse instancing (or the oft-overlooked ignore function) to achieve the same effect.

you need to get over the fact that solo and group players exist and don't want to be part of your John Lockean murder hobo simulator. who cares what they do or don't do?

let_it_go.gif

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone watch last night's livestream? Anything interest/useful?

• Locked thread