Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What a twist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blacksmith should win on aggression alone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Blacksmith doing for the extra hits on the clearly-downed drone seemed kinda mean spirited.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blacksmith looks weak, just a lucky draw.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Blacksmith wasn't super effective, but it gets points for style.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lycan lost because the driver couldn't resist running into the spinner.

Mohawk did nothing and won.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aw, rip invader. :(

Apparently it took an hour for invader to run out of battery after they lost control :lol:

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 11, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Lycan got its just deserts for repeatedly bashing a disabled bot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I thought the bots were required to have some sort of automatic shutoff when they lost their control signal specifically to prevent stuff like Invader spinning forever after the match is over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Lycan lost because the driver couldn't resist running into the spinner.

Mohawk did nothing and won.

Mohawk looks weak too. They couldn't even get a broken Lycan onto the wedge to chomp.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Was not expecting that Black Ice victory

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Bad Kitty's weapon doesn't look like it can hit anything.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wedge bots are bullshit, but that was a really good job of driving.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pakled posted:

Bad Kitty's weapon doesn't look like it can hit anything.

I don't think it was working half the fight, it very rarely seemed to be moving.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Judging by those last couple of minutes, Minotaur looks to be getting the treatment Tombstone got last season. Will it also lose to Bite Force in this competition? :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Better question, what was up with the arm mounted flamethrowers on Complete Controls guy? :black101:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was the drone even supposed to do?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Pakled posted:

I thought the bots were required to have some sort of automatic shutoff when they lost their control signal specifically to prevent stuff like Invader spinning forever after the match is over.

The contactor they use to turn the motor on and off welded itself into the on position.

Great Beer posted:

Better question, what was up with the arm mounted flamethrowers on Complete Controls guy? :black101:

They were pretty awesome. Watching them convince the safety people to allow wrist mounted flamethrowers was fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did they just have to let the battery run down then, or what?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, from what I recall it took about 45 minutes for the bot to stop.

For those who have watched the teasers closely, you may have noticed Complete Control and Bombshell fighting. We were also pitted next to each other. A great deal of fun was had between the two SA associated teams.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
It'll be nice to see Beta finally, FINALLY fight at Battlebots.

Aphrodite posted:

I kind of remember some spinner breaking free from its robot and spinning on its own unpowered for a couple of minutes during a pause in a match. I thought it was MOE in season 4 but can't find any video or record of it. Because the hit that broke the spinner free also stuck the two robots together, there weren't any bots in the box to nudge the now spinning top of doom, so everyone had to stare at it for a few minutes before it stopped.

MikeNCR posted:

Yeah, from what I recall it took about 45 minutes for the bot to stop.

But did the driver of the working Gemini offer to nudge Invader at all?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Yessss. I'm so stoked about Battlebots coming back. I decided to look at the sub-Reddit and holy poo poo one of those bots that are competing scares the poo poo outta me. There's a video of it testing itself in the arena and gently caress me that thing is fast. I'll just leave it as a link if you want to remain completely spoiler free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm5r0OG0fvo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Wedge bots are bullshit, but that was a really good job of driving.

Yeah. The bar hazard it left behind seems to be legal since it was allowed to be used which seems to contradict the S1 rules about your bot intentionally losing parts to create hazards (or am I misremembering?). Its active weapon is a bit bullshit too since it's barely visible and never quite apparent if it's working or not.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah. The bar hazard it left behind seems to be legal since it was allowed to be used which seems to contradict the S1 rules about your bot intentionally losing parts to create hazards (or am I misremembering?). Its active weapon is a bit bullshit too since it's barely visible and never quite apparent if it's working or not.

Apparently black ices weapon is a flywheel powered harpoon. It was damaged by the initial impact and didn't work for its opening fight.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GuavaMoment posted:

I kind of remember some spinner breaking free from its robot and spinning on its own unpowered for a couple of minutes during a pause in a match. I thought it was MOE in season 4 but can't find any video or record of it. Because the hit that broke the spinner free also stuck the two robots together, there weren't any bots in the box to nudge the now spinning top of doom, so everyone had to stare at it for a few minutes before it stopped.
You might be thinking of Surgeon General vs. Killerhurtz, but I don't remember them being stuck together.

keevo posted:

Yessss. I'm so stoked about Battlebots coming back. I decided to look at the sub-Reddit and holy poo poo one of those bots that are competing scares the poo poo outta me. There's a video of it testing itself in the arena and gently caress me that thing is fast. I'll just leave it as a link if you want to remain completely spoiler free.

According to that sub-reddit, that bot couldn't compete because it was deemed unsafe.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Coaaab posted:

You might be thinking of Surgeon General vs. Killerhurtz, but I don't remember them being stuck together.

THAT was it, it was this fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSWyTK5UE4
The minutes long pause to get the top to stop, and separate the robots was edited out.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
According to one of the competitors who posts on reddit Skorpius managed to get like halfway through the arena screw before they made him stop haha.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is any place streaming last night fights?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

keevo posted:

I really want to see that hit something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

BexGu posted:

Is any place streaming last night fights?

Hulu Plus. Not sure if it's under the free Hulu package or not.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Clamknuckle posted:

I really want to see that hit something.

It's like an improved Whyachi. :swoon:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

zVxTeflon posted:

What was the drone even supposed to do?

They said it had a drill weapon for pinned down bots, which sounds like one of the worst ideas for a drone weapon. I don't know how you could apply the necessary force and it would probably get stuck.

In one of the opening shots they showed a drone with a downward pointing flamethrower which seems a little better if you can maintain position above another bot. I'm not really sure that it's feasible to have any contact weapons on a flying bot at all without losing control, idk, I've never flown a high-end drone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The single best use for a drone I can think of is to put a camera on it and fly it high in the arena to get a nice birds eye view help with aiming and driving.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fire is pretty much the only thing I would think a drone could do to damage somebody. There's just no way you can do damage to a metal object flying above it. Anything that you use to hit the other bot is just going to gently caress up a drone. But of course fire burns up so you'd probably burn the drone more than the opponent :D

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Just caught up with the Battlebots special. I'm glad to see Son of Whyachi back even though it sucks Ian Lewis had to be sacrificed to it. So I'm guessing Team Whyachi is running two robots in the tournaments? Warrior is still in it (with a new picture that has its crazy flamethrower drone) as well as Son of Whyachi.

Ror posted:

They said it had a drill weapon for pinned down bots, which sounds like one of the worst ideas for a drone weapon. I don't know how you could apply the necessary force and it would probably get stuck.

In one of the opening shots they showed a drone with a downward pointing flamethrower which seems a little better if you can maintain position above another bot. I'm not really sure that it's feasible to have any contact weapons on a flying bot at all without losing control, idk, I've never flown a high-end drone.

SPS2 had the right idea.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 15, 2016

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
In the preview it looked like one drone's used was to just drop a big gently caress off weight on a bot from up high.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

KungFu Grip posted:

In the preview it looked like one drone's used was to just drop a big gently caress off weight on a bot from up high.

Awesome, I pretty much wanted to see something exactly like this.

I'd also love to see something like Dr. Robotnik's swinging ball & chain.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Short of activating a jet engine and kamikazeing into a bot at mach 2, a 10 pound drone can do absolutely nothing to a 250 pound battlebots armor. Any of them that can survive a hit from tombstone won't even notice the drone crashing into it. Ray billings estimate of the energy in tombstones blade before frictional losses isabout 107kj. For comparison a .50BMG round from everyone's favorite antimaterial rifle (the Barrett) has about 20kj. Battlebots hit hard.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Obviously the drone needs to have electromagnets and or suction cups to latch onto the top of the bot and then drill to its soft robot center. Because that would totally work and not end up as a cloud of carbon fiber and lipo fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Fire is pretty much the only thing I would think a drone could do to damage somebody. There's just no way you can do damage to a metal object flying above it. Anything that you use to hit the other bot is just going to gently caress up a drone. But of course fire burns up so you'd probably burn the drone more than the opponent :D

It's a play to the crowd and the judges, you're not likely to start a real fire with whatever can of hairspray you put on the drone.

• Locked thread