Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Because Souls fans are the most intolerable of backseat gamers.

I can't really blame people. Souls reward knowledge to such a degree that they can sometimes be straight-up unenjoyable if you don't learn/find a few early things. I remember how many people threw in the towel on DS1 when they kept going to the Catacombs or New Londo first instead of finding the way to the Undead Burg. People are probably afraid that any given new player will get frustrated and give up if they don't learn X fact right now.

Except that Geop a) beat Dark Souls and knows what he's in for, and b) has three people already doing that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Harrow posted:

I can't really blame people. Souls reward knowledge to such a degree that they can sometimes be straight-up unenjoyable if you don't learn/find a few early things. I remember how many people threw in the towel on DS1 when they kept going to the Catacombs or New Londo first instead of finding the way to the Undead Burg. People are probably afraid that any given new player will get frustrated and give up if they don't learn X fact right now.

Except that Geop a) beat Dark Souls and knows what he's in for, and b) has three people already doing that job.
Yeah but will they or won't they tell him that you haven't lived until you did a shield bash only run???

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

so is there any actual sensible reason to use the broken thief sword for anything

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

it's better than bare hands I guess

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

scamtank posted:

so is there any actual sensible reason to use the broken thief sword for anything
It uses really little Stamina per swing, so if you're super into quick hits for whatever reason, you could buff it to hell and back and just R1 your way into some victories. As it also doesn't need many stats, this could "synergize" with said buff build that would put points in buff requirements instead. But no, really it is loving terrible.

Wiki says it's "good" for delivering Poison and Bleed, but there are weapons that do that and also deal some damage at the same time, and Bleed is also pretty bad in DS2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

It's there in case you start as deprived and miss the dagger in Things Betwixt and the morning star in Majula?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All right, what is this?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Try it out. I promise it won't do anything bad to your computer. I would recommend using Chrome though -- Firefox and Edge tend to have issues.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

All right, what is this?
It seems to be a DS1 map viewer, though it's limited to one map at a time and is somewhat imperfect about properly showing the textures.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The strange textures / models are because the game also stored "low-poly" versions of every asset and they don't always line up on top of each other. I can't find what toggles the low-poly versions on and off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Ometeotl posted:

Because Souls fans are the most intolerable of backseat gamers.

It's true, and I'm the worst one. I'm trying to hold it in but... sometimes I just go. It's like "NO DON'T GO THAT WAY INSTEAD GO TO THE PATH THAT LOOKS SIMILAR BUT OBVIOUSLY LEADS TO A THING THAT WOULD BE REALLY GOOD IF YOU PLAYED AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT BUILD" or "NO, WHY DO YOU ONLY HIT ENEMIES ONCE OR TWICE WHEN YOU COULD STUNLOCK THEM" or "NO, HEAL drat IT! JUST HEAL ALREADY! 80% HP IS NOT SAFE ENOUGH! YOU'LL DIE! OKAY YOU DID IT WITHOUT INCIDENT, NOW loving HEAL!"

I actually sometimes yell these things at my screen. I am a horrible human being.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's true, and I'm the worst one. I'm trying to hold it in but... sometimes I just go. It's like "NO DON'T GO THAT WAY INSTEAD GO TO THE PATH THAT LOOKS SIMILAR BUT OBVIOUSLY LEADS TO A THING THAT WOULD BE REALLY GOOD IF YOU PLAYED AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT BUILD" or "NO, WHY DO YOU ONLY HIT ENEMIES ONCE OR TWICE WHEN YOU COULD STUNLOCK THEM" or "NO, HEAL drat IT! JUST HEAL ALREADY! 80% HP IS NOT SAFE ENOUGH! YOU'LL DIE! OKAY YOU DID IT WITHOUT INCIDENT, NOW loving HEAL!"

I actually sometimes yell these things at my screen. I am a horrible human being.

This is why I can't watch Souls game streams.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Simply Simon posted:

It uses really little Stamina per swing, so if you're super into quick hits for whatever reason, you could buff it to hell and back and just R1 your way into some victories. As it also doesn't need many stats, this could "synergize" with said buff build that would put points in buff requirements instead. But no, really it is loving terrible.

Wiki says it's "good" for delivering Poison and Bleed, but there are weapons that do that and also deal some damage at the same time, and Bleed is also pretty bad in DS2.

It might be marginally more stamina efficient than the Broadsword so you can dual-wield 2 broken weapons with poison and stunlock with alternating strikes until the poison kicks in. Still a gimmick more than it being actually useful.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fister Roboto posted:

It's there in case you start as deprived and miss the dagger in Things Betwixt and the item geop hasn't seen

maybe edit this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Was there a shop to buy weapons or did I just imagine it? I know you could buy armor and I'm pretty sure there were a few prohibitively expensive rings as well.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RareAcumen posted:

Was there a shop to buy weapons or did I just imagine it? I know you could buy armor and I'm pretty sure there were a few prohibitively expensive rings as well.
Most of the weapons are sold by Lenigrast, and he's locked out of his shop.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

It's not so much "most" as "some". There will be more vendors along the way (it's a Souls game), but at the least Lenigrast does about what you'd expect of a blacksmith.

@RareAcumen: It's Shalquoir who sells the expensive rings.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

NGDBSS posted:

It's not so much "most" as "some". There will be more vendors along the way (it's a Souls game), but at the least Lenigrast does about what you'd expect of a blacksmith.

@RareAcumen: It's Shalquoir who sells the expensive rings.

Yeah I meant, 'did we see someone selling weapons in the videos currently released'.

Squint
Jul 14, 2007

Extremely Not Bad

IGgy IGsen posted:

Screaming fruitlessly at a monitor is fine, so far as this goes. As long as you don't take it to YouTube comments like so many folks do.

"YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I EXPECT YOU TO OR PERSONALLY APPROVE OF, ERGO YOU ARE THE WORST EVER AT THIS GAME"

Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic (but only just), but YouTube people actually expressed surprise when I didn't cheese a given cheesable boss, and that was irritating. Like they thought I just wasn't aware it was an option and just needed to be told it was!

"Uh, you do know you can just arrow/magic/geometry it to death, right? Heh." :smug:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Squint posted:

Screaming fruitlessly at a monitor is fine, so far as this goes. As long as you don't take it to YouTube comments like so many folks do.

"YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I EXPECT YOU TO OR PERSONALLY APPROVE OF, ERGO YOU ARE THE WORST EVER AT THIS GAME"

Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic (but only just), but YouTube people actually expressed surprise when I didn't cheese a given cheesable boss, and that was irritating. Like they thought I just wasn't aware it was an option and just needed to be told it was!

"Uh, you do know you can just arrow/magic/geometry it to death, right? Heh." :smug:

"vicas are you ever gonna change armor or try out different weapon sets"

no

no i am not

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Vicas posted:

"vicas are you ever gonna change armor or try out different weapon sets"

no

no i am not

try parrying

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Squint posted:

Man, I saw a video on Facebook a while back of some guy who had a summon do most of the killing of a boss, and there were people posting on their calling him a pussy and a retard for letting the summoned guy do most of the damage. People care way too much about this game, sometimes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

maybe edit this?

He's probably already found it by now, and I sincerely doubt that mentioning the existence of a common weapon and its general location is going to ruin anything.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

This is pretty rad

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Squint posted:

Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic (but only just),

Are you sure? Because Pat from Best Friends Play is doing Dark Souls 3 and I don't think this is actually an exaggeration.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fairly certain Geop mentioned being ten videos recorded ahead of episode two or four already, so you guys need to either keep it in your pants or start talking about areas beyond Heide's Tower of Pain if you wanna do this properly.

Steak Eater posted:

Are you sure? Because Pat from Best Friends Play is doing Dark Souls 3 and I don't think this is actually an exaggeration.

Five games by From Soft and people still don't understand this: There is no such thing playing these games correctly.

It's like sniping in any FPS's multiplayer, either you're poo poo and should just pick an RPG up or you're too good and are therefor hacking. There is no winning.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It seems like the games where there's the most variability in how you can play the game is the one where a lot of people will really loving yell at you for doing it differently than they did. I remember Voidburger had a similar experience when she tried to stream the original Fallout; she got a bunch of flak that she was "playing it wrong." As long as the LPer isn't going full DSP on the game, it's pretty childish to be mad that someone didn't do things the same way you did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

This is why I can't watch Souls game streams.

I can't watch blind playthroughs of most games, I've found, even games that I don't know well myself. Geop's Dark Souls (and now DS2) playthroughs are the exception because he has a good attitude and three backseat gamers saying all the things I wish I could say. But most of the time I just get frustrated at the player making mistakes and missing things that are so obvious holy poo poo just open your eyes uggggghhhhh that I turn it off. I never post comments about it or anything, it just gets in my way of enjoying it. And it's no fault of the player! It just isn't my thing.

It's why I like Squint's Demon's Souls LP so much, or Chip Cheezum's LPs of, well, anything he plays. I love LPs where the player knows a ton about the game and can show off and share that knowledge.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm still laughing at the idea that someone thinks there's 3 people trying to help Geop.

1 person is actively sabotaging him
1 person is doing a really great and funny Solid Snake impression
and Vicas is helping, unless it's funny not to

I mean it's perfect and all 4 of you are what's going to make this LP great, but is Geop really going to have an easier time than if he just did it himself?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm still laughing at the idea that someone thinks there's 3 people trying to help Geop.

1 person is actively sabotaging him
1 person is doing a really great and funny Solid Snake impression
and Vicas is helping, unless it's funny not to

I mean it's perfect and all 4 of you are what's going to make this LP great, but is Geop really going to have an easier time than if he just did it himself?

Try parrying

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
I'm glad to see this LP, as the last was fantastic. But my word is it hard to not yell at the screen.

This LP made me go and reload Scholar as a break from DS3. I must admit it's much more fun to play now that they did that "fix" to durability on the PC, and thrusting weapons are more viable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

He'd miss a ton of items and complete maybe three sidequests in the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RareAcumen posted:

He'd miss a ton of items and complete maybe three sidequests in the game.
Also he'd spend a looot more time running around areas before actually finding the bonfires

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i bet geop would've found the emerald herald in a timely manner, i believe in him

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It took me foreeeever to find that first bonfire and I'm a bit disappointed that Geop's getting the helpful guide treatment right away.

Also, fixed a ton of bugs with my Dark Souls map viewer I linked earlier. Next steps: get materials working properly (bumpmapping, lighting, etc.), and then do Dks2 and 3.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Blind playthroughs are fine as long as they exist purely as blind playthroughs with well-adjusted players and not "I'm going to play blind but I also want to be entertaining so I'm going to play differently than how I would if I was truly playing blind with no audience". Video editing a blind playthrough is fine, but most of the magic is watching somebody's natural first playthrough, not a crafted first playthrough that usually ends up with both an annoyed player--because they don't even enjoy how they're playing--and an annoyed audience. Watching people approach and think through problems in different ways is entertaining, but watching people rush-play something or no-grind something they wouldn't normally is always terrible.

A blind playthrough with 3 guys in the backseat is great because it's still geop playing how he wants to play but with additional help to ensure he's not missing bonfires or other things that would potentially end up wanting a lot of video editing.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Harrow posted:

Try parrying

tongue but hole

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, fixed a ton of bugs with my Dark Souls map viewer I linked earlier. Next steps: get materials working properly (bumpmapping, lighting, etc.), and then do Dks2 and 3.

Once I actually finish 3, I can't wait to view all of the maps together to see how it compares to 1 on a design level (hah get it) because it seems very coherent compared to 2.

Actually, I can't wait to see 2's as well, just so I can marvel at how weird it looks... especially one egregious choice for loading a zone later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

I can't wait to view all of the maps together to see how it compares to 1 on a design level (hah get it)

I don't, sorry.

Also, just to kill the joke right out of the gate, I already modeled and reinserted the Awesome Blossom for Dark Souls.

also also, that loading zone is 90% of internet discussions about Dark Souls 2. Shut up about it already.

• Locked thread