Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
haha look it's Americans being American!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That is not a statement anyone should have taken at face value. Shame on you.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Holy poo poo, that's on a PS4?! I honestly didn't expect it to run at 60fps in the final build and still look that good! Games always promise to be 60fps, but then back-peddle at the last minute with "oh, uh, we meant only on PC, not console". Feeling better and better about grabbing it on PS4 until I can upgrade my PC a few years down the line.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

That's just straight up not true, even with the AI awareness and accuracy set to max, on the difficulty where they mostly one shot you you can space them out far enough where they miss you most of the time, and you can still easily 1/2 shot them with your 32 round shotgun. The exception being the snipers, because they're snipers, but they're not really a problem since you have the most overpower cloak in videogames. Maybe it was like that on release, I dunno since I got it in like 2013 and I know they changed enemies a bit somewhere along the line. They're not quite as bad as Combine but they're pretty drat inaccurate.

I just did a full play through a couple weeks ago. You will aggro enemies from an extreme distance and they will shoot and easily hit you from the very edge of visibility. The snipers were actually easier to handle because they had a laser sight and a windup so you could catch them before they fired. I didn't mess with the difficulty settings. I don't know what it played like in 2013.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just a reminder that the best doom was Final Doom on playstation because it had the creepy music that made the game scary instead of corny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85npx14HUI

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ramsus posted:

Just a reminder that the best doom was Final Doom on playstation because it had the creepy music that made the game scary instead of corny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85npx14HUI

if I want Quake I'll play Quake. I can dig that people dig that, but for me it just makes Doom feel dull. It's not scary or as well done as Trent's Quake OST, and it's not energetic and awesome like Doom's OST. I don't find anything corny about great riffs baby. Now 3do I can get into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35pIk5wfNk&list=PLB2880E9A7DFF6C25

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

if I want Quake I'll play Quake. I can dig that people dig that, but for me it just makes Doom feel dull. It's not scary or as well done as Trent's Quake OST, and it's not energetic and awesome like Doom's OST. I don't find anything corny about great riffs baby.

Hall of Souls so good.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It was scary playing it alone at night as a kid. Maybe not so much now that we're old now. Maybe you were old back then so it wasn't scary, who the hell knows.

Does anyone know if the Final Doom available on Steam has the same music as the PSX version?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't find anything corny about great riffs baby.

:same:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ramsus posted:

It was scary playing it alone at night as a kid. Maybe not so much now that we're old now. Maybe you were old back then so it wasn't scary, who the hell knows.

Does anyone know if the Final Doom available on Steam has the same music as the PSX version?

I was just kind of a badass lil kid, they said I would be in prison by 16 the way I played Doom.

You can get PSX Doom stuff with zDoom/gzDoom mods, somebody linked to it in this or the Early FPS topic lately.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ramsus posted:

Steam Doom is PC Doom, including the soundtrack.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, looks like I'm buying this when I get paid this week. :homebrew:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Deakul posted:

Welp, looks like I'm buying this when I get paid this week. :homebrew:

dont buy it until reviews are out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Al-Saqr posted:

don't tell me what to do!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Deakul posted:

don't tell me what to do!

Pick up Star Fox Zero while you wait, and then forget about this game cuz you'll be engrossed in Star Fox Zero.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Al-Saqr posted:

:wrongful:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heavy Metal posted:

Proper chuffed for DOOM guvnuh, gonna give that Hell Knight a good snogging, well hard!

You wot mate? I swear on me mum.

Sweeeeeeet. That's brief but its definitely some infighting.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

elf help book posted:

Pick up Star Fox Zero while you wait, and then forget about this game cuz you'll be engrossed in Star Fox Zero.

I haven't played anything Nintendo-related since the N64.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Deakul posted:

I haven't played anything Nintendo-related since the N64.

You've got tons of good gaming ahead of you before you need to think about this game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is anybody able to explain the health and armor mechanics?

There's the regular blue health bar that goes to 100, then another 100 points of light blue health overlaid on top of that, which when full reads 200. Then there's a green bar above the light blue bar that goes to 100 points, which I'm assuming is armor.

The videos show that when the player is full of everything, the green bar always needs to completely deplete first before the light blue bar will start to deplete, and then the light blue bar will deplete all the way before the darker blue bar behind it will start to deplete.

Does this simply mean you can have a total of 300 "health" or do the different colored bars represent different tiers of damage absorption? In other words, will a direct hit from a standard Imp fireball remove as much of the green bar as it would the dark blue bar if that's all you had?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 11, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
One thing he mentions in that video I really do not like, is that the game has a bunch of easy enemies and then you hit a locked off section that spawns waves like a mini arena, and then you move on. That's really lovely and nothing like classic doom at ALL, you can't let us actually run around the map freely?

Hmmm my interest in this game keeps swinging back and forth between "could be kinda fun" and "probably poo poo".

GreatGreen posted:

There's the regular blue health bar that goes to 100, then another 100 points of light blue health overlaid on top of that, which when full reads 200. Then there's a green bar above the light blue bar that goes to 100 points, which I'm assuming is armor.

The videos show that when the player is full of everything, the green bar always needs to completely deplete first before the light blue bar will start to deplete, and then the light blue bar will deplete all the way before the darker blue bar behind it will start to deplete.

Does this simply mean you can have a total of 300 "health" or do the different colored bars represent different tiers of damage absorption? In other words, will a direct hit from a standard Imp fireball remove as much of the green bar as it would the dark blue bar if that's all you had?

There's regular health that starts at 100 and then you're allowed to build that up past 100 just like classic doom, which is cool. I don't think your health decays if its past 100 like classic doom did though, which effectively means that 200 is just the max which is silly but whatever.

The green bar seems like armor yeah, and the video makes it look like most of your damage taken goes to armor but some of it bleeds through to health, until armor is out. So kinda like standard doom, but it seems more forgiving so like 90% of your damage goes to armor instead of 50% or 75% which I think the blue and green are in classic doom.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing he mentions in that video I really do not like, is that the game has a bunch of easy enemies and then you hit a locked off section that spawns waves like a mini arena, and then you move on. That's really lovely and nothing like classic doom at ALL, you can't let us actually run around the map freely?

Hmmm my interest in this game keeps swinging back and forth between "could be kinda fun" and "probably poo poo".

There's regular health that starts at 100 and then you're allowed to build that up past 100 just like classic doom, which is cool. I don't think your health decays if its past 100 like classic doom did though, which effectively means that 200 is just the max which is silly but whatever.

The green bar seems like armor yeah, and the video makes it look like most of your damage taken goes to armor but some of it bleeds through to health, until armor is out. So kinda like standard doom, but it seems more forgiving so like 90% of your damage goes to armor instead of 50% or 75% which I think the blue and green are in classic doom.

Health decay didn't happen until Quake. Doomguy could run around at 200 health all day long if it wasn't for hitscan zombies.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A.o.D. posted:

Health decay didn't happen until Quake. Doomguy could run around at 200 health all day long if it wasn't for hitscan zombies.

Yeeeep. Which made Supercharge/Megaspheres pretty good at any level.

Also, green armor I think split damage into thirds, with one-third going to armor and the rest to health. Blue armor and Megaspheres split it right down the middle. This usually means "don't grab a green armor unless you cannot find a blue or are out of armor completely".

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

As far as the whole gated arena waves thing goes, I don't know I kinda like it. I get how some people don't like it because it breaks the flow of just running around at full speed all the time effectively meaning you're always in a new environment with new things to kill and you get there at your own pace...

But Doom to me has always been just as much if not more about blasting demons into chunks with a shotgun than stalking around techno hell, and the arena wave combat sections with their size and verticality seem like they will give me a good excuse to keep doing that while thoroughly jumping and slinging myself all around a sectioned off little area for just enough to learn it well by the time the last few waves come through, and by that time I'll feel like a Pro Gamer who's gotten good at this and whoa check out my moves while I effortlessly finish off these last few bad guys.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 11, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Did I correctly see a "checkpoint reached" in a video, implying the game doesn't have a proper manual save and reload feature?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

pretty much, armor doesn't seem to have a percentage of damage it blocks like earlier Doom games/The New Order, so it's just another health bar

health and armor can also be upgraded to 200 max, not sure about the overages though

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Did I correctly see a "checkpoint reached" in a video, implying the game doesn't have a proper manual save and reload feature?

Games can have both (mostly open world games come to mind - Witcher, Bethesda RPG's) but I don't think that's been a question that's been asked in any case.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

*never played a Pikmin* Hello, Gamestop? I'd like to preorder the Doom season pass.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The new Baron design is utter poo poo. It looks like it's wearing a helmet in case it has a seizure.

Why don't we put goat horns on anything anymore?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SirDan3k posted:

The new Baron design is utter poo poo. It looks like it's wearing a helmet in case it has a seizure.

The Baron has horns, you're thinking of the Hell Knight. And I still dig the ol Doom3 Clive Barker Hell Knight.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SirDan3k posted:

uhhh

This is the Baron of Hell:-

This is the regular Hell Knight:-

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
One enemy design I'm really disappointed with is the Mancubus. The original design of the demon was this incredibly intimidating, menacing, cenobite boss thing that was deformed by fat as a mark of how evil and corrupt it was and it frankly scared the crap out of me. The new one just looks like some fat, bewildered slackjawed goon that doesn't know where it is or what it's supposed to be doing.

And dammit why does the baron of hell have the face of a Pug with a cleft lip? It looks like a big dumb animal too.

I do like the look of the Hell Knight though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 11, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing he mentions in that video I really do not like, is that the game has a bunch of easy enemies and then you hit a locked off section that spawns waves like a mini arena, and then you move on. That's really lovely and nothing like classic doom at ALL

No. Stop. Stop expecting this game to be anything like classic Doom, because it's not and they're not going for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

uhhh

This is the Baron of Hell:-

This is the regular Hell Knight:-

Yeah personally I like this, they're harking back to classic doom style enemy design (baron) as well as doom 3 enemy design (knight) both, kinda acknowledging the whole series. There's a lot of variations of each enemy type and overall way more enemies as a result, which is good. And in classic doom they were just recolors so there's no harm in changing one of them.

Segmentation Fault posted:

No. Stop. Stop expecting this game to be anything like classic Doom, because it's not and they're not going for that.

Except for all the many ways they are. Like auto-maps and keycards and secrets and including literal doom 1 levels.

No its not a 2.5D FPS but its definitely trying to be more doom than doom 3 was.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like the design of the knights and barons because the knights actually have sort of a hosed-up armor look about them while the barons are very much more important looking

it's not like the designs from the original games were really all that inspired

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i like the design of the knights and barons because the knights actually have sort of a hosed-up armor look about them while the barons are very much more important looking

it's not like the designs from the original games were really all that inspired

I assume everybody knows at this point that the cacodemon was literally stolen from a D&D monster manual

Still pretty cool lookin though

Don't think we've seen any pain elementals in the trailers? Hope they look significantly different as well.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah personally I like this, they're harking back to classic doom style enemy design (baron) as well as doom 3 enemy design (knight) both, kinda acknowledging the whole series. There's a lot of variations of each enemy type and overall way more enemies as a result, which is good. And in classic doom they were just recolors so there's no harm in changing one of them.

Except for all the many ways they are. Like auto-maps and keycards and secrets and including literal doom 1 levels.

No its not a 2.5D FPS but its definitely trying to be more doom than doom 3 was.

Those are little trinkets. You're expecting level design and game mechanics to be similar, which is loving retarded of you

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Those are little trinkets. You're expecting level design and game mechanics to be similar, which is loving retarded of you

Deal with it segfault

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

I assume everybody knows at this point that the cacodemon was literally stolen from a D&D monster manual

Still pretty cool lookin though

Don't think we've seen any pain elementals in the trailers? Hope they look significantly different as well.

One of the last times this was brought up, I remember somebody arguing that the Cacodemon wasn't taken from this image because it wasn't a perfect tracing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of the last times this was brought up, I remember somebody arguing that the Cacodemon wasn't taken from this image because it wasn't a perfect tracing.

B-b-b-but it's at least 30% different! You don't know ANYTHING, DAD!

Original Caco Do Not Steal.