Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

count me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blackheart posted:

Whats the third legendary even gonna be

Earth?

Exactly, i.e. Zygarde again

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Currently leaning towards round owl, priorities may shift if cat turns into rad (quadruped, non-Fire/Fighting) tiger, or the clown turns into a lardass elephant seal. He's already got the prominent nose going for him. Also props to GameFreak for designing a starter that almost everyone will want and giving it one of the worst defensive typings in the game (it will also be statted as a tank, just fyi.) you know i'm right

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
After living in Hawaii this game is making me go crazy. I never even though in my wildest dreams there would be a poke-hawaii, but with the massive Japanese presence here it completely makes sense. First impressions on seeing pictures was, "gently caress these starters" but after seeing their animations (litten's little back floof??Amazing) they have really grown on me. The legends do seem a bit odd but nothing I wouldn't expect with the direction this series has been going. Excited for the best gen yet.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

tell masuda-san I said arigato

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Here's a really cool thing I found, a 20th anniversary tribute video for each type:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOftGM5rTyM

playlist here

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Also props to GameFreak for designing a starter that almost everyone will want and giving it one of the worst defensive typings in the game (it will also be statted as a tank, just fyi.) you know i'm right

If they really do give it Thick Fat it'd be mostly okay. But I kind of suspect that it will get tinted lens or insomnia or keen eye as its hidden, one of the owl things. From what I can tell it's more the pattern to give abilities based on similar-species traits or parts of dex descriptions rather than actual viability so the only way it's getting Thick Fat is if the dex wills it.

Otherwise even with a spread like Blaziken's but defense:

HP: 80
ATK:70
DEF:110
SATK:70
SDEF:120
SPD: 80

It'd still get 2HKOd by most sets even with heavy investment in the right defensive stat. Getting 2HKO'd at best by most fighting sets with Ice Punch or even Ice Shard is kind of problems. Also a lot of the UU water types aren't even safe switches. Even ground types can just murder it. It could wall practically nothing. If it sacrificed sdef for def or the other way around it would have some use maybe, but I don't really see them doing that given starter stat spreads tend to be kind of even and I don't see them lowering either atk or satk too much.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

alcharagia posted:

infernape is cool and the best evolved starter there ever was

Fixed for you.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Best choice forever (until evolutions come out and Litten turns out to be actually cool)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Those new mons look so adorable. :allears:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Popplio is the best clown sealdog anyone could ever hope for

also with torchic piplup and rowlett we now have a full birbsquad

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 11, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like popplio and all, but it makes me look at spheal and thing about what could have been

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah but now popplio can juggle spheal

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

Toastymcfly posted:

After living in Hawaii this game is making me go crazy. I never even though in my wildest dreams there would be a poke-hawaii, but with the massive Japanese presence here it completely makes sense. First impressions on seeing pictures was, "gently caress these starters" but after seeing their animations (litten's little back floof??Amazing) they have really grown on me. The legends do seem a bit odd but nothing I wouldn't expect with the direction this series has been going. Excited for the best gen yet.

Im just wondering how they got all the homeless to leave the park to shoot the japanese commercial

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TenWren posted:

Best choice forever (until evolutions come out and Litten turns out to be actually cool)

Litten is already the cutest when you see it in motion in the trailer, so let's hope it only gets better

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

Dunban posted:

What are some cool Hawaiian animals they could base Pokemon on?

probably some coconut pineapple grass stuff, also this island is full of mongooses and chickens so Im sure something like that will be there

also Im pretty sure popplio is supposed to be a monk seal which is a really big deal here

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Anorexic Robot posted:

also Im pretty sure popplio is supposed to be a monk seal which is a really big deal here

It's a sea lion. You can tell not just from its design and circus theme, but also from the -lio part of its name (phonetic spelling of leo, which means lion).

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012

less laughter posted:

It's a sea lion. You can tell not just from its design and circus theme, but also from the -lio part of its name (phonetic spelling of leo, which means lion).

woops yep my head just immediately switched to the monk seal

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I am going to name my friend Owl Owlifax.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Elfgames posted:

oh my gosh

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cptn_dr posted:

I am going to name my friend Owl Owlifax.

It's a shame Kaepora Gaebora is longer than 12 letters, otherwise that's what I'd name mine.

Blathers it is.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

If we're talking about this, I look forward to Grass Owl becoming fast friends with Ninja Frog and Punch Monkey.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

birb for smash

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Here's a really cool thing I found, a 20th anniversary tribute video for each type:

playlist here

This is pretty great, but since this is a Normal tribute they got one thing wrong.
Where's Arceus?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kikas posted:

This is pretty great, but since this is a Normal tribute they got one thing wrong.
Where's Arceus?

Arceus does not deign to assign Himself to any one type.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kikas posted:

Where's Arceus?

there's actually a "Normal 2" video since there's so many loving normal types (there's two water ones as well), but even then Arceus only shows up for a second, and then again in the Dragon video.

they're worth a watch though, the Fighting one is probably my favorite because it has badass shounen keldeo and a super cool Conkeldur pic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unrelated to starterchat, but can we all take a moment to appreciate how ridiculous it is that a bunch of eggs are grass/psychic type?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cheetah7071 posted:

Unrelated to starterchat, but can we all take a moment to appreciate how ridiculous it is that a bunch of eggs are grass/psychic type?

Technically, they're a bunch of seeds. :v: Still doesn't explain the Psychic typing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 11, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. Fetus posted:

Technically, they're a bunch of seeds. :v: Still doesn't explain the Psychic typing.

They're a psychic hivemind.

Its weirder a bunch of eggs turn into a walking palm tree imo.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dr. Fetus posted:

Still doesn't explain the Psychic typing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_mind_(science_fiction)

Zore posted:

Its weirder a bunch of eggs turn into a walking palm tree imo.

Trees grow from seeds. Exeggcute are seeds, Exeggutor are trees.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 11, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

less laughter posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_mind_(science_fiction)

Trees grow from seeds. Exeggcute are seeds, Exeggutor are trees.

exeggcute are eggs one of them has his yolk showing

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Elfgames posted:

Seeds are just eggs for trees.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Exxecute is literally the Egg Pokemon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mabels big day posted:

playlist here

I think that the Ground road trip was my favorite. Though the creepy as hell Psychic video and hotblooded Fighting ones were great. Really, all were good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Elfgames posted:

That's going to be it's evolution. Just like how Shelder is both a hat and a tail accessory for Slowpoke.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

mabels big day posted:

playlist here

They left out Leonora, for shame.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Elfgames posted:

Exeggcute Pokédex posted:

Often mistaken for eggs

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Pretty sure

Grass flying
Water ice
Fire fighting

That way they have the double triangle thing going on. It's going to be a fighting feral cat, some sort of giant blubber seal thing, and then the owl evolves into a jet. Then they all rotate one in the circle. Owl becomes fire fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Notorious QIG posted:

Oahu is only the third-largest island in Hawaii and it'd be weird as heck to not at least have the big island and Maui.

the only thing on poke-maui would be a lot of pissed off locals with no jobs, and a handful of kalos expats living in castles

not the kinda place you wanna visit in pokemon

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 11, 2016

• Locked thread